Report: PlayStation 5 “Pro” Controllers Coming Soon

Abby_TheLastofUs

On 15/06/2022 at 11:58 AM, LucienNL said:

All Sony controllers are trash. They start drifting. All of them

i never had ps3 drift or ps4. ps5 out of 7 controllers, i had one drift and got it exchanged for a new one that day and have had 0 issues since.

Joycons all drift... xbox also drifts. So based off your thought then, every controller is trash

edit: whats everyone's battery life like? I get 7-9hrs on full. mid vibrating and haptic

Edited by Infected Elite

11 minutes ago, altStrafe said:

Seems like an easy solution for Sony to add in a small update but you never know with them...

I believe you can actually do this on the Xbox Series via an option in the settings - I recall seeing someone show it in the menu pre-release.

Up until now, I've had to use my NACON Revolution Unlimited controller for non-inverted PS4 games as you can make it invert at the hardware level. But, I'm currently reviewing a new wired controller, the Rainbow - it's a Switch, PC, PS4 controller with fully customisable LEDs, button mappings, multi-button macros or single buttons on rear buttons, and the lovely hardware-level invert of any axis, all programmed via a mobile app. It's pretty cool :)

14 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

i never had ps3 drift or ps4. ps5 out of 7 controllers, i had one drift and got it exchanged for a new one that day and have had 0 issues since.

Joycons all drift... xbox also drifts. So based off your thought then, every controller is trash

edit: whats everyone's battery life like? I get 7-9hrs on full. mid vibrating and haptic

6 hours on full (default) settings for haptics and lighting.

PS5 dualsense joysticks are sourced from Alps just like Xbox. Their own documents rated them at 2 million input cycles, center push button 500k cycles. Just clock yourself how much you rotate the stick every minute on average. Of course they can last longer or short due to all sorts of variance. Just that they have a rated shelf life.

A pro controller modeled like the Astro, stick can be hot-swapped versus soldered opens the door for say limited edition, colorful parts. Don't have to wait for berry thumbsticks again, or a Spiderman controller with white thumbsticks. Could even go further with a a design lab like Xbox, but at the pro controller level. It'll sell.

They're already working on the PS5 Pro, which basically continues the trend that started in the PS4 generation. And there's no doubt that like the PS4, there will also be a PS5 Slim that will do everything the OG PS5 did, only better and using considerably less space in your room.

I'm almost convinced it's better to just wait for the Pro/Slim version of the PS5 along with the "Pro" controller instead of buying the initial PS5 ahead of time only to be left behind because everyone else has moved on to the Pro/Slim. This time around, I don't think there's going to be as many noticeable differences as there was with the OG PS4 and Slim/Pro PS4.

21 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

thats probably why, lights plus full haptic.

which is about whats average...

High haptics is 6-7hrs

Medium is 8-10

Low is 10-12

all with DIM lighting. 

I buy the controller, I USE ALL THE FEATURES OF THE CONTROLLER. Haha but yeah I actually don’t mind the “shorter” use time of the Dualsense unlike others here. I sit down, game for a couple of hours, then charge at the end of my session so it’s not that worrisome for me.

1 hour ago, altStrafe said:

I buy the controller, I USE ALL THE FEATURES OF THE CONTROLLER. Haha but yeah I actually don’t mind the “shorter” use time of the Dualsense unlike others here. I sit down, game for a couple of hours, then charge at the end of my session so it’s not that worrisome for me.

or ykno, have more than 1 controller hahaha.

Where i game, my charge dock is right there one of many phone chargers so I easily can just grab the cable and plug it into the controller and have unlimited battery life.

People just like to bitch 

• Like 1

If they actually work well with FFXIV's system and allow me to macro abilities to the extra buttons, then I'll likely make a purchase on one. And like DaivRules has mentioned, longer battery life as well would be nice, it's no time at all before I'm needing to charge the controller again. I end up just having it wired permantly a good lot of the time because of this.

10 hours ago, DEMON said:

If they actually work well with FFXIV's system and allow me to macro abilities to the extra buttons, then I'll likely make a purchase on one. And like DaivRules has mentioned, longer battery life as well would be nice, it's no time at all before I'm needing to charge the controller again. I end up just having it wired permantly a good lot of the time because of this.

"Pro Controllers" are meant to be marketed towards competitive gaming, which do not allow macros. Very low chance that feature will be implemented at the first party level. 

I just hope that PS4 versions of games last a few more years, These controllers I bet will be the same shape as the regular Dualsense. I'm hoping that Scuff create a different shape based on their previous controller, or even better would be a new Astro. Basically anything non Sony would be nice though with little demand.

Currently I have a gutted Dual Sense with all gimmickry removed, it still works so next I'm sizing up shells that will fit this board. The DS4 is fine for the sticks though the actual DS board is a bit taller. Plus the humungous L2/R2's need to be replaced so it's a bit of a project.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:59 AM, Infected Elite said:

or ykno, have more than 1 controller hahaha.

Where i game, my charge dock is right there one of many phone chargers so I easily can just grab the cable and plug it into the controller and have unlimited battery life.

People just like to bitch 

Wrong, I don't like to bitch...quite the opposite. It's the principal of it all because there's a simple solution on Sony's end that they refuse to address. Just because I have 2 controllers and the charging dock doesn't mean I should HAVE to charge my controllers that often. Not to mention serious battery degradation due to having to charge it so often, you're only wearing it down more at a faster rate. Having to switch to my other controller because one died DURING my same day gaming session isn't a solution...it's a need DUE to shitty battery life, I shouldn't have to do that, that's not a good thing.  

These little piece of shit grey plastic batteries Sony has been using since the PS3, cost them PENNIES. There's nothing stopping them putting a higher capacity battery in their controllers to compensate for it's features. People will still buy multiple controllers, people will still buy the charging docks, in the end people will still have to charge their controllers. But having it actually last a couple days on a single charge only benefits everyone. 

Edited by Viper

On 2022-06-15 at 0:16 PM, Helyx said:

My OEM Sixaxis PS3 controllers still work flawlessly after 15 years. My PS5 launch controller had stick drift and "spongey" triggers after 200 hours of use. The DualSense is poorly made.

DS4 too. I have had stick “stutter” (stops movement) compressed air and pushing down and rotating (not easy to do all at once) tends to fix it at least, but I’ve never had such issues before. Got my N64 launch controller and it works fine other than L being sticky (which luckily is rarely used in any game). Plus the thumb stick material falling apart on DS4… one of my DualSense seems to have this same analog issue, need to get a can of compressed air again. At least it’s not my purple controller this time. Even the DS4 “2” (the updated ones with the way to see the lightbar when actually using the damn thing) still had this issue. 

they don’t make them like they used to. DS2s and DS3s all work fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Wrong, I don't like to bitch...quite the opposite. It's the principal of it all because there's a simple solution on Sony's end that they refuse to address. Just because I have 2 controllers and the charging dock doesn't mean I should HAVE to charge my controllers that often. Not to mention serious battery degradation due to having to charge it so often, you're only wearing it down more at a faster rate. Having to switch to my other controller because one died DURING my same day gaming session isn't a solution...it's a need DUE to shitty battery life, I shouldn't have to do that, that's not a good thing.  

These little piece of shit grey plastic batteries Sony has been using since the PS3, cost them PENNIES. There's nothing stopping them putting a higher capacity battery in their controllers to compensate for it's features. People will still buy multiple controllers, people will still buy the charging docks, in the end people will still have to charge their controllers. But having it actually last a couple days on a single charge only benefits everyone. 

is anything stopping you from eventually changing your own battery? EU has better batteries for ps5 and DIY. 

Perhaps keep a long USB-C cable nearby so if it goes low plug it it quick. Don't be lazy

Its no different than phone companies saying a phone can last 2+ days on a single charge.... yeah. If you never touch it and have no family or friends at all or anyone even talk to you. Then absolutely it may last longer. 

On 20/06/2022 at 6:25 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I'm almost convinced it's better to just wait for the Pro/Slim version of the PS5 along with the "Pro" controller instead of buying the initial PS5 ahead of time only to be left behind because everyone else has moved on to the Pro/Slim. 

Or... just have an OG PS5 and buy a PS5 Pro anyway.

3 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

is anything stopping you from eventually changing your own battery? EU has better batteries for ps5 and DIY. 

Perhaps keep a long USB-C cable nearby so if it goes low plug it it quick. Don't be lazy

Its no different than phone companies saying a phone can last 2+ days on a single charge.... yeah. If you never touch it and have no family or friends at all or anyone even talk to you. Then absolutely it may last longer. 

Or... just have an OG PS5 and buy a PS5 Pro anyway.

Jesus Christ. It has NOTHING to do with HOW I charge the controller. When the controller dies, I get my ass up, put it on the charging dock and grab the other one...the problem is I have to do this EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. That's not okay! That shouldn't be normal. The controller should last for DAYS on a single charge, while using it's features. Again, there's nothing stopping Sony from building the damn things with proper batteries in them in the first place and benefitting literally everyone. 

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

Jesus Christ. It has NOTHING to do with HOW I charge the controller. When the controller dies, I get my ass up, put it on the charging dock and grab the other one...the problem is I have to do this EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. That's not okay! That shouldn't be normal. The controller should last for DAYS on a single charge, while using it's features. Again, there's nothing stopping Sony from building the damn things with proper batteries in them in the first place and benefitting literally everyone. 

be realistic dude. Those batteries would cost much more. You willing to pay 300 for a controller? no. you'd bitch.

On top of that, newer tech doesnt last full DAYS on a single charge. Especially when used pretty extensive periods in one go with stupid haptic settings at max.

You probably also think Sony should have 2TB in a PS5 with same MSRP right? despite the fact a 2TB drive is more expensive thus driving costs up. Same goes for controllers.

Switch Joycons don't last,  Xbox battery packs dont last, PS4, PS5, also don't last. Its always been this way. Deal with it.

• Like 2

People are weird, or lazy. I use a 10-feet USB extension cord and stay plugged-in. Just like how no serious fighter likes the idea of wireless fight sticks, so I always had cords.

One could upgrade the dualsense to a 2000mah battery from stock 1500, but that's likely not more than 1-2 hours on a good day. Expecting days of charge with the technology the dualsense has is being unrealistic.

Edited by technole
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Infected Elite said:

be realistic dude. Those batteries would cost much more. You willing to pay 300 for a controller? no. you'd bitch.

On top of that, newer tech doesnt last full DAYS on a single charge. Especially when used pretty extensive periods in one go with stupid haptic settings at max.

You probably also think Sony should have 2TB in a PS5 with same MSRP right? despite the fact a 2TB drive is more expensive thus driving costs up. Same goes for controllers.

Switch Joycons don't last,  Xbox battery packs dont last, PS4, PS5, also don't last. Its always been this way. Deal with it.

I just said in my previous post that the batteries Sony use in these controllers cost them literal pennies. They're one of the cheapest components in the controller, they're literally generic grey pieces of plastic, there's nothing custom about it that would cost us anything. They're skimping on batteries, so that you have to charge it more, so it degrades faster, and you buy more of them. We wouldn't have to pay more for larger batteries....especially nowadays when 1500mAh batteries are considered extremely outdated for lithium battery based tech. Sony is the same company that charged us $100 more for a PS5 with a disc drive...when those disc drives cost them next to nothing as well. They do it because they can. 

And no I won't "deal with it". Nothing changes if you just let companies get away with their scummy shady bullshit business practices and stay quiet about it. And nor has it "always been this way", companies just keeping doing shadier and shadier shit as time goes on thinking no one see's it. The DS3 gets 4 days of charge on heavy use, nearly a week on normal use, with a measly 570mAh battery! So when Sony decided to pack MORE features into the DS4, they didn't compensate for it with their tiny little 1000mAh batteries, then packed MORE in the DualSense and only went to 1500mAh. You want to bring up other devices, I'm well aware of them...they're an issue as well, but that's not what this subject is about (however the Switch Pro controller has fantastic battery life for what it's capable of). But even then, your current high end smartphones are boasting 4000-5000mAh batteries which adequately compensate (on the low end) them for being always on devices running a litany of background features at all times. Those make sense, but still have room for improvements. A controller boasting a ton of features with a tiny battery does not. 

This is on Sony...not the consumer. I just refuse to act like this isn't a problem or throw my hands up and stay quiet about it. 

53 minutes ago, Viper said:

This is exactly the experience I've had with the single PS5 game I've played.