Report: PlayStation 5 “Pro” Controllers Coming Soon

Abby_TheLastofUs

49 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I fail to understand why you think just because you’ve had a smooth time with your Dualsense controllers, they are made just fine. To ignore the significant amount of people reporting stick drift issues—among other problems—makes no sense. My original PS5 controller had issues with stick drift and dead zones after a few months of use, that’s pretty bad. It’s great yours still work though. 

For the same reasons as we already said above. You and people who have had issues keep acting like there's more reports on this than there actually are because news sites blow it out of proportion...people like you act like you're in the majority, you're not. It sucks that you've had problems, I don't wish that on anybody but it not "normal" that you did. Just like it's extremely abnormal that @Dark_Overlord is on his freaking 14th DualShock 4.

Look I get it...this all comes down to our personal world views. I haven't had any problems so it's not an issue...Dark_Overlord somehow keeps finding controllers that melt themselves from the inside, so it's the worst controller on the planet to him. But it's like @The Alchemist said, people who have working controllers aren't going to talk about it, so you only hear about the ones that do have problems...and news sites blow things up to make them seem worse than they actually are. 

I haven't had any problems with my 2 controllers either but the battery life is an issue which makes it impossible to get by on just 1 controller. All the controllers have had their issues though and thats just life. PS1+PS2 controllers cables use to fray and lose connection and constantly pause the game because of loss of connection. PS3 ones were extremly fragile, PS4 ones the battery just died and stopped working on like 4 of my controllers and now the PS5 battery life sucks. This is from my perspective and at the end of the day it comes down to luck and care. Would my PS1 and PS2 ones have lasted longer if i didnt wrap them up to put them away? Probably or my PS3 ones if I didnt squeeze them too hard? For certain. There are very few facts and of course some can have bad luck and have it faulty from the beginning but that's with any product in the world and that's why warranty exists. Even car firms recall thousands of cars because of faulty brakes or such and that involves putting peoples lives in jeopardy so if anyone is expecting the most perfect controller that will work flawlessly forever and never break then you're not being realistic. They will break and will come broken sometimes even.  

• Like 1

Still using my launch controllers around 750 hours on each one. The battery life is awful and very slight drift coming on, but I personally think they are a lot better than last gen in my limited opinion. 

But as said by others I hate to think how pricey these might be!

5 hours ago, dakk55 said:

If it's overpriced to hell, I'm better off looking for Third Party controllers with Turbo Function.

What I really want to know, is whenever Sony's gonna release a Pro/Super version of PS5? The PS4 Pro was released around 3 years after the initial PS4 Launch, and at this point, the only way I would get a PS5 console is to get the new version with most of the bugs worked out.

"most of the bugs"? Just because you can't get a PS5, you don't need to shittalk the console. It is a great piece of hardware.

If it keeps the same form factor it will make no difference to people not happy with the current controller. Removing the gimmicks would be a step forward as would alloying the use of PS4 compatible controllers.

I'm waiting for a 3rd party that isn't just a modified Dual Sense.

A pro controller is what Sony has been lacking in their accessories lineup ever since Microsoft came out with their Elite controllers. Competitive players have been relying on 3rd party manufacturers (SCUF & Battle Beaver DualShock 4s are huge in the pro CoD scene, even after their switch to PC in 2019’s MW season) to make them for years until the Back Button Attachment came out and even then, I don’t see any pros using it over the 3rd party options. I’ve seen YouTubers speculate the Back Button Attachment was a trial to gauge consumer interest in a first-party pro controller and it seems to finally be making headway with how well it sold. The biggest draw for me is the replaceable thumbstick modules with all the drift issues happening. The only other PlayStation controller I’ve seen with that feature was Astro’s C40. 

I’ve owned SCUF and Battlebeaver DS4s and luckily have not had issues with them but all have developed drift of some sort. The main gripe I’ve read is that these companies don’t have long-enough warranty programs for when issues arise and Sony could take advantage of that with a year-long warranty. 

I am curious if Sony will be implementing some sort of Dualsense 1.5 in the future like how the DualShock 4 had a mid-life upgrade where they iron out some of the kinks that the initial release model had. Maybe this pro controller could be a case study for that, especially with the replaceable thumbstick modules. 

On 6/16/2022 at 0:39 AM, Z1MZUM said:

If it keeps the same form factor it will make no difference to people not happy with the current controller. Removing the gimmicks would be a step forward as would alloying the use of PS4 compatible controllers.

I'm waiting for a 3rd party that isn't just a modified Dual Sense.

I have a buddy with a PS5 that only plays the PS4 version of Apex Legends because he hates the feeling of the Dualsense and he can use his Astro C40. 

• Like 1

Tbh I don’t give a crap what extras Sony releases atm. When people can easily get PS5s then more people will be willing to buy the pro controller. Getting a PS5 is still a pain 2 years later, and a good amount of sold consoles are collecting dust in scalpers basements. With the way the economy is not everyone has extra money lying around.

45 minutes ago, altStrafe said:

A pro controller is what Sony has been lacking in their accessories lineup ever since Microsoft came out with their Elite controllers. Competitive players have been relying on 3rd party manufacturers (SCUF & Battle Beaver DualShock 4s are huge in the pro CoD scene, even after their switch to PC in 2019’s MW season) to make them for years until the Back Button Attachment came out and even then, I don’t see any pros using it over the 3rd party options. I’ve seen YouTubers speculate the Back Button Attachment was a trial to gauge consumer interest in a first-party pro controller and it seems to finally be making headway with how well it sold. The biggest draw for me is the replaceable thumbstick modules with all the drift issues happening. The only other PlayStation controller I’ve seen with that feature was Astro’s C40. 

I’ve owned SCUF and Battlebeaver DS4s and luckily have not had issues with them but all have developed drift of some sort. The main gripe I’ve read is that these companies don’t have long-enough warranty programs for when issues arise and Sony could take advantage of that with a year-long warranty. 

I am curious if Sony will be implementing some sort of Dualsense 1.5 in the future like how the DualShock 4 had a mid-life upgrade where they iron out some of the kinks that the initial release model had. Maybe this pro controller could be a case study for that, especially with the replaceable thumbstick modules. 

I have a buddy with a PS5 that only plays the PS4 version of Apex Legends because he hates the feeling of the Dualsense and he can use his Astro C40. 

I also use the Astro C40 or Nacon Revolution unlimited. It is insanity that these are scrapped from the PS5. The Dualsense pushes into the palm of my hands and results in pure discomfort and I end up with numb fingers. The Haptic feedback just adds more discomfort, Crazy to add something assuming the majority will like the feature? And yes the astro already has removeable sticks and buttons. The Cronus Zen works with COD Coldwar PS5 version but every game is patched since then. And we play against Mouse and Keyboard PC players? Hmm genius Sony. 

If you're looking for a 'Pro' controller and don't want to wait for Sony to release theirs, I reviewed the HexGaming Ultimate Controller here: https://www.gamepitt.co.uk/hexgaming-ultimate-controller-ps5-and-pc-review/

Basically, they take official DualSense controllers and customise them - you have four rear triggers, adjustable thumbsticks, and optional digital L2/R2 triggers which are good for FPS games. Also, if you order via their website, you can fully customise the controller by picking colours and designs for every single component used - ala the Xbox design Studio.

The only downside is that they only ship to Asia and the USA (unless they've got an EU store now). Scuf also does a very similar controller, but I've not tried that one.

Also, as the controller is essentially a custom DS, it updates just like a regular DS (by plugging into a PS5 when a FW update is installed), working just like an official controller but with additional features.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, turniplord said:

If you're looking for a 'Pro' controller and don't want to wait for Sony to release theirs, I reviewed the HexGaming Ultimate Controller here: https://www.gamepitt.co.uk/hexgaming-ultimate-controller-ps5-and-pc-review/

Basically, they take official DualSense controllers and customise them - you have four rear triggers, adjustable thumbsticks, and optional digital L2/R2 triggers which are good for FPS games. Also, if you order via their website, you can fully customise the controller by picking colours and designs for every single component used - ala the Xbox design Studio.

The only downside is that they only ship to Asia and the USA (unless they've got an EU store now). Scuf also does a very similar controller, but I've not tried that one.

Also, as the controller is essentially a custom DS, it updates just like a regular DS (by plugging into a PS5 when a FW update is installed), working just like an official controller but with additional features.

Really appreciate the review. I recently purchased a SCUF Reflex Pro and I plan on posting a review after I get pictures taken and a little more time with it.

• Like 1

I don't care much about all those pro features, a better battery life would be the only thing I'd be interested in. 

If this pro controller gets a boost in battery life and has different colours rather than just being white or black, I would consider getting it. 

Definitely a fan of the Xbox Elite controller, nearly perfect aside from the usual Xbox D-Pad placement. This is the time to capitalize on getting it out, as it's money sitting on the table for Sony, and as Jim Ryan says they will catch-up to demand in 2023. Do it now, would totally sell if they can highlight similar upgrades along with removable sticks.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:41 PM, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Pictures of the controller keep the classic PlayStation 5 style but show a few key differences. One of the biggest changes is buttons under the analog sticks, which allow you to completely remove the analog sticks; which Sony refers to as “removable stick units”. 

He then goes on to say he thinks this means you can fully remove the sticks if they develop drift... I personally can't see this being a thing as it say to me that they're expecting them to develop drift so this has been added so you can't complain. Technically, all Sony has to do (for all their controllers) is have a detailed controller adjustment section in the system settings which lets you adjust the dead zone on your DS controller. If you have drift, extending the dead zone by a mm or less would take it from a drifting stick to one that works perfectly without any obvious change in gameplay.

Whilst they're at it - give us the option to force the right stick to always be inverted, that way I don't have to pester developers every time they launch a game and forget to put the option in there...

I can't normally justify spending that much on a controller but this time I might.

On the other hand I already have the problem where I'm clearly trying to start a rainbow coloured collection of dualsense controller variations. So my impulse control over buying new controllers has clearly gone downhill the last few years. ?

Sane can't be said for keeping the things charged though, I blame laziness for that though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, turniplord said:

Whilst they're at it - give us the option to force the right stick to always be inverted, that way I don't have to pester developers every time they launch a game and forget to put the option in there...

Seems like an easy solution for Sony to add in a small update but you never know with them...