Report: PlayStation 5 “Pro” Controllers Coming Soon

Abby_TheLastofUs

If it's overpriced to hell, I'm better off looking for Third Party controllers with Turbo Function.

What I really want to know, is whenever Sony's gonna release a Pro/Super version of PS5? The PS4 Pro was released around 3 years after the initial PS4 Launch, and at this point, the only way I would get a PS5 console is to get the new version with most of the bugs worked out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Number one priority should be to make the controller way more durable than the standard DualSense.

I never understand what people mean by this...what are you doing to your controllers? I've had mine almost a year and both are still in amazing condition. 

The number 1 priority needs to be heavily extending the battery life. It's all I want out of these controller...to not have to charge it every single night. I don't need all the other bells and whistles, I don't care about some back buttons...just give me a battery that's worthy of being in a controller with all these features. These batteries Sony use are inexpensive, there's no reason they can't shove at least a 3000mAh battery in there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

I never understand what people mean by this...what are you doing to your controllers? I've had mine almost a year and both are still in amazing condition. 

The number 1 priority needs to be heavily extending the battery life. It's all I want out of these controller...to not have to charge it every single night. I don't need all the other bells and whistles, I don't care about some back buttons...just give me a battery that's worthy of being in a controller with all these features. These batteries Sony use are inexpensive, there's no reason they can't shove at least a 3000mAh battery in there. 

I agree that the batteries definitely last a shorter time, but have you considered a charging cradle? 

Ever since the PS3 days, I’ve always just bought a cheap charging cradle along with my console - usually only 10-15 bucks, but it’s such a handy thing to keep plugged into a wall socket - keeps things tidy, and the controllers are always ready to go. :dunno:

• Like 2

I have no doubt that such a controller will sell like hot cakes. Although it isn't for me, a lot of people have been asking for an official PlayStation controller similar to the Xbox Elite controller for years now, and judging by how popular the DualShock 4 back button attachment was, this will definitely do really well with all of the additional features mentioned. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Reporting by Tom Henderson

Number one priority should be to make the controller way more durable than the standard DualSense. 1f61c.png

i own 6 ps5 controllers, I've only ever used 3, 1 had some drift so i took it back to the store for a replacement 7 months later. But i still have my launch controller. 

Never had any issues. Theyre durable. 

Kind of off topic: youtuber Metal Jesus Rocks is idiot. He complained his ps5 stick drifted badly but if you've seen his videos of him playing games he's quite aggressive. With his ape hands its no shock his stuff is broken

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I agree that the batteries definitely last a shorter time, but have you considered a charging cradle? 

Ever since the PS3 days, I’ve always just bought a cheap charging cradle along with my console - usually only 10-15 bucks, but it’s such a handy thing to keep plugged into a wall socket - keeps things tidy, and the controllers are always ready to go. :dunno:

I have the official charging dock. But what does that have to do with the issue here? How it's charged has nothing to do with how long it lasts. This has been a problem since the PS4, people complained how quickly the battery discharges based on the features it has...so Sony had the audacity to release a revised controller in 2016 when the PS4 Pro came out and they did literally nothing to it except show us the light bar in the front. Now they put MORE features into DualSense and make the same mistake all over again. 

5 minutes ago, Helyx said:

My OEM Sixaxis PS3 controllers still work flawlessly after 15 years. My PS5 launch controller had stick drift and "spongey" triggers after 200 hours of use. The DualSense is poorly made.

And again, both of my PS5 controllers are still in perfect condition after a year of constant use (thousands of hours at this point). They're made just fine.  

1 minute ago, Viper said:

I have the official charging dock. But what does that have to do with the issue here? How it's charged has nothing to do with how long it lasts. This has been a problem since the PS4, people complained how quickly the battery discharges based on the features it has...so Sony had the audacity to release a revised controller in 2016 when the PS4 Pro came out and they did literally nothing to it except show us the light bar in the front. Now they put MORE features into DualSense and make the same mistake all over again. 

Oh okay - well, just trying to help :dunno:

I never really find it to run out in a single gaming session, and you had said “not having to charge it every night”, so I though maybe you didn’t have a cradle, since really, charging every night isn’t a huge deal (IMO) - specifically because of the cradle.

15 minutes ago, Viper said:

And again, both of my PS5 controllers are still in perfect condition after a year of constant use (thousands of hours at this point). They're made just fine.  

Or maybe you're just very lucky, just because you don't seem to have issues doesn't mean others don't. Dualsense uses the exact same Analog sticks as Dualshock 4, and they are very poor quality, these Dualsense controllers seem to be much worse than the Dualshock 4 from all the complaints I've seen. I've had Dualshock 4 controllers faulty straight out the box. Dualshock 4 is the main reason i have 0 interest in PS5. And thousands of hours of use lol sure. 

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I never really find it to run out in a single gaming session, and you had said “not having to charge it every night”, so I though maybe you didn’t have a cradle, since really, charging every night isn’t a huge deal (IMO) - specifically because of the cradle.

I just don't get why the cradle matters in this instance? It's the having to charge it so much, not the how it's charged. The charging dock is nice, and I like having it...but it's irrelevant to my issue here. 

I'll forever compare the battery life to the DualShock 3...that's what Sony should always be striving for. Yes, I am well aware the DS3 has far less robust features...but that's the whole point. You put  a bigger battery in the controller to compensate for it's features. A 3000mAh battery still isn't going to make it last as long as a DS3, but it would at least make it so that you get another couple days out of it before charging.

1 minute ago, GUDGER666 said:

Or maybe you're just very lucky, just because you don't seem to have issues doesn't mean others don't. Dualsense uses the exact same Analog sticks as Dualshock 4, and they are very poor quality, these Dualsense controllers seem to much worse than the Dualshock 4 from all the complaints I've seen. I've had Dualshock 4 controllers faulty straight out the box. Dualshock 4 is the main reason i have 0 interest in PS5. And thousands of hours of use lol sure. 

Yep, it's all on me. Instead of turning your own words on yourself....just because you've had problems doesn't mean it's as wide spread as Social Media likes people to believe. I've had 4 DualShock 4's over the years...2 OG controllers and 2 "Pro" controllers and the only issues with the old ones are the batteries are shot in them, they discharge SUPER fast. The same issue is starting to happen to the "Pro" controllers. Nothing else...none of this stick drift nonsense, the rubber never fell off the thumb sticks, my R1 button never flew off or whatever. Years of use out of those controllers and the battery is the only problem. 

So no, I don't buy it with the DualSense either. 2 controllers and both work perfectly fine after a year of near daily use. It's not luck, they just work as they're supposed to.

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I still have my 2 controllers I got at launch. 

as well as the official Sony charging dock

knock on wood no stick drift yet, but the controllers still die within 3ish hours of use

its abysmal compared to the DS3. those would last at least a week between charges

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Or maybe you're just very lucky, just because you don't seem to have issues doesn't mean others don't. Dualsense uses the exact same Analog sticks as Dualshock 4, and they are very poor quality, these Dualsense controllers seem to be much worse than the Dualshock 4 from all the complaints I've seen. I've had Dualshock 4 controllers faulty straight out the box. Dualshock 4 is the main reason i have 0 interest in PS5. And thousands of hours of use lol sure. 

Or, you know, maybe you're just unlucky. Ever think of that? Everything has a failure rate. You're probably in the small percentile of unlucky people. You've seen lots of complaints, wow, and? People who have zero issues aren't going to be screaming from the rooftops that their controller is working as intended. I own 3 DualSenses, including the original from day 1. Zero issues. Absolutely perfect. Likewise with every DualShock 4 I've owned. No drift, no issues, nada. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dakk55 said:

If it's overpriced to hell, I'm better off looking for Third Party controllers with Turbo Function.

What I really want to know, is whenever Sony's gonna release a Pro/Super version of PS5? The PS4 Pro was released around 3 years after the initial PS4 Launch, and at this point, the only way I would get a PS5 console is to get the new version with most of the bugs worked out.

39 minutes ago, Helyx said:

My OEM Sixaxis PS3 controllers still work flawlessly after 15 years. My PS5 launch controller had stick drift and "spongey" triggers after 200 hours of use. The DualSense is poorly made.

Didn't take long for the ps5 bitch fest to begin. Some people woudn't know a great console if it hit them in the balls

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Some people woudn't know a great console if it hit them in the balls

Imagine being an informed consumer with some sliver of standards.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Viper said:

I fail to understand why you think just because you’ve had a smooth time with your Dualsense controllers, they are made just fine. To ignore the significant amount of people reporting stick drift issues—among other problems—makes no sense. My original PS5 controller had issues with stick drift and dead zones after a few months of use, that’s pretty bad. It’s great yours still work though. 

I’ll always prefer the DualShock 4 over any other controller. This “Pro” controller they’re thinking about releasing shouldn’t be a priority. I agree with a lot of people above when they say there should be a focus on battery life and the stated issues. My PS5 controller dies so quick it’s not even fun to play with it anymore. Paired with the spongey haptic triggers, stick drift, and dead zones…I can’t see a Pro version of this controller being any better. Guarantee it has a shit battery life on release.  

• Like 4

Why is it that these clickbait sites call the rumors and fantasy articles "reports"?

Also, Sony worked with 3rd party controller makers with the PS4. This is how we got the Nacon Revolution and Razor Raiju. I honestly forgot about those controllers until the writing of this post. 

1 hour ago, dakk55 said:

Yeah, I'm really hoping Hori gets on that; their FPS Plus for PS4 was pretty good. Currently, I think their only PS5 offering is the Fighting Commander, which has one stick and lacks turbo.

• Like 1

I hope at some point the bms in controllers start to track and display charge cycles and hours of use. Might as well start with a “pro” version, although I don’t understand how many people think they use their controllers “professionally” to warrant mass-market production. This way we would have more actual data about controller afflictions, instead of claims that no one can back up with data. I have 6 DS3 controllers and 4 DS4 controllers, three of those are from the console they came with, and all function as expected. Only one DS3 has a significantly impacted battery life and only lasts about 5 hours. 

I suspect Sony was working with third parties on the features mentioned in these rumors. I’d like to see Sony at least tout more efficient electronics producing better battery life in a DualSense revision if they’re also going to launch a “pro” model.