Aiha's Gallery of Leaves

AihaLoveleaf

2 hours ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

Thank you, Cave, for checking in! 1f61d.png One thing I do like about Checklists, compared to Status Updates, is that there's less of a stigma with coming in a bit later to talk about a review posted a month or a year ago. Not that I mind if somebody pulls up a Status Update from forever ago to talk about something, but if people are more comfortable with necromancy in the checklist section, then it's another good reason for me to be here.

I had a feeling that HDN would probably be a little too rough and primitive if I played the series backwards, which is one of the bigger reasons I made it a point to play everything in release order. I had also received similar warnings from @Yuber6969 about the Senran Kagura series, which is why I made certain to start from the beginning, at least as far as PlayStation is concerned! That strategy has had a 100% success rate so far, in that I've been able to enjoy the first games in both series. Hard to complain about the lack of polish and QOL, if I don't know any better going in. That said, though, mk2 made some seriously nice QOL improvements over HDN, so I'm happy to see what Victory does for gameplay later on. 

I couldn't possibly hate Nepgear! As soon as she called me onii-chan in the bonus character voices menu, I was in, lol. I could possibly see some players needing some time to get adjusted if they happened to enjoy the first HDN as much as I did, but she did grow on me pretty quickly. I wonder if those that didn't get past the feeling finished the story, as she does mature enough over the course of the plot to overcome her shortcomings in terms of personality. Either way, Nepgear is a winner for me, so my new expectation is to be getting ample amounts of Nepgear and Neptune in the future. I'll find out soon if Compile Heart and Idea Factory were able to deliver on expectations. 1f60b.png

A second Falcom is both hilarious and sad - and to have them both in the same game just sounds way too ridiculous, lol. I guess if the game makes it work out somehow, then it's fine. The Falcom in mk2 seems to be based on the Ys series. Though I did give the title of favorite DLC character to Cave this time around, I still loved Falcom's Chirper scenes. The sequence of events involving the books written about her various adventures were the highlight for me, especially considering how Nepgear and Blanc reacted to Falcom's stories.

I'm both sad and surprised that a fighting game spinoff has not happened yet. Even the creator of the series apparently wanted a fighting game to happen, at least given an unlimited amount of money to take the franchise in whatever direction she pleases. I say give license of Neptunia and Senran Kagura to ArcSys to create a gigantic 2D fighter. The potential would be insane, as ArcSys have proven several times they can bring fanservice and stellar gameplay with little to no compromise in either area. It's also pretty much a given that we would end up with a hilarious story mode to go with it. I hope the possibility isn't completely off the table, this far out into the life of both franchises.

I agree with you there. The flaws in this series definitely are present. Reused dungeon assets and lack of a true town experience are negatives that should be pointed out. I've read reviews from more professional outlets that had no issue tearing HDN and mk2 apart for its shortcomings, and I kind of see where they are coming from. Like you mentioned, though, the good far outweighs the bad, and if I'm getting my fix of moé, I can set aside the shortcomings for a pleasurable experience. 

Besides the character art in the banner of the PSNP page for Victory, I haven't looked at much of the game yet, so it'll be about as fresh an experience as it gets for me, which is just how I like it. 1f61b.png Victory is loaded up and ready to go (thank god it's available for cheap on the PSN nowadays!), and I'm excited to see the where the rest of the PS3 trilogy goes, before heading into the craziness of remakes and spinoffs to come soon after.

The inconvenient thing about status updates is that everyone who responds gets a notification every time someone else does after them, and there's no way to unsubscribe from this feature as far as I know. At the end of the day I doubt anyone cares all that much, but somehow I feel like I'm spamming a bunch of notifications when I respond a week later after ten others have.  

I made the same mistake with the Atelier series. In fact, I'd argue that going back to the original Atelier Rorona after playing the plus version is far worse than going back to the original HDN after playing the Re;Birth versions. On the contrary, I started with Senran Kagura Burst on 3DS (an otherwise excellent dust collecting device) and I don't think it's a bad starting point. Although it's possible that I only think that way because I started with it. If anything, I found that Senran Kagura goes down in quality with later releases, though only when it comes to the story anyway. Burst and Deep Crimson are leagues above the rest of the series when it comes to the plot, and I'm talking about actual plot here, not that kind of plot. For whatever reason the storyline from Deep Crimson wasn't continued and everything started anew with Shinovi Versus.

That reminds me, I should probably go back and listen to some of the bonus character voice clips, since my understanding of Japanese was very minimal back when I played mk2. I like that many of these games contain a bonus character voice menu, which is something generally only seen in VNs. Anyway, I'm not sure how much of the hate for Nepgear is actually real or just the development team screwing around. For all I know it could've been just a few fan complaints online that became somewhat of a running gag in Victory. 

The second Falcom represents Trails / Kiseki, I guess they couldn't fit that and Ys into one character. Two characters is kind of ridiculous, though. While I prefer Kiseki, it makes more sense to represent Ys due to its historical significance as one of the longest running RPG series. Quite ironically, Cave was one of few game companies I hadn't heard of prior to playing these games. 

I haven't played it myself yet, but given the recent Nep x Senran Kagura crossover spin-off it's certainly a possibility. I suppose the closest we've got so far is Homura as a DLC character Nitroplus Blasterz, which isn't very close at all. 

It's really a miracle how far this series has come despite how rough it started out. Based on the reception you'd think a sequel would've been completely off the table, but it ended up working out anyway. 

That's the best way to do it. I went into this series having no idea what to expect and I think it worked out better that way. I wasn't aware that Victory could still be purchased digitally, and it's a good thing that it's cheap. Some games haven't been discounted in years (or ever) and probably never will be before being delisted (like every version of Project Diva: Dreamy Theater).  

• Like 1

Enjoyed everything that was written in this thread thus far. 

I keep pushing back Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 because I know I’m going to spend a few weeks at least getting them both done. That’s me being generous. 

Sonic & All Star Racing Transformed is no walk in the park either. Going to be pretty tough, because I’m stuck on the digital version and thus I probably won’t be able to use the Yokozuna glitch. 

Most of your list I literally don’t recognize because it’s well… pretty far into Japanese anime/manga territory.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Enjoyed everything that was written in this thread thus far. 

I keep pushing back Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 because I know I’m going to spend a few weeks at least getting them both done. That’s me being generous. 

Sonic & All Star Racing Transformed is no walk in the park either. Going to be pretty tough, because I’m stuck on the digital version and thus I probably won’t be able to use the Yokozuna glitch. 

Most of your list I literally don’t recognize because it’s well… pretty far into Japanese anime/manga territory.

Thanks AJ!

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 will definitely take some time to get through. With each game having only 15 trophies each, there will also be a considerable length of time between actually seeing those last few trophies popping up in the corner of the screen, once all the easy ones are out of the way. Do give the games a spin, though, if the Sonic Origins platinum leaves you feeling a bit empty. The Sonic Adventure lists make you do everything, and you'll really feel whole once you've finished both of them.

Both All Stars racing games are on the to-do list for me as well. Fortunate enough to have the physical version of the game for patch removal purposes. I read the new thread that came up a little while ago, and it sounds like the game does get easier if you combine version 1.00, DLC, and four controller splitscreen - at least easier to a certain point. I suppose we'll find out when it's time to finally commit to that playthrough.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2022 at 0:31 PM, AihaLoveleaf said:

Appreciate it, Destructor! I'd eventually like to have at least played one of every kind of game out there, so I'll make sure to keep up the variety. ?

That's cool. Yeah you have a nice collection & look forward to reading all the reviews that you do. I've bought more games ever since I've started to read what others say about this or that game. I have quite a few to try out in the future.

8 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I still need to get to this sometime. It's the best one too.

1 hour ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

Both All Stars racing games are on the to-do list for me as well. Fortunate enough to have the physical version of the game for patch removal purposes. I read the new thread that came up a little while ago, and it sounds like the game does get easier if you combine version 1.00, DLC, and four controller splitscreen - at least easier to a certain point. I suppose we'll find out when it's time to finally commit to that playthrough.

Yeah I think that's something to do with slowing the expert AI throughout the career as well as helping with out with some of the grind too. I definitely wanna do the career without slowing the AI to know what expert is like so if I get to it then I'll let you know what it's like. I'll probably do it after everything else to get the grind done. I might not get to it for awhile though lol.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats! Some of the Engrish you described reminded me of a certain someone that we know lol. Also made me nostalgic for "This guy are sick!"

I don't think I've played anything in the genre, so I'm really not sure if I'd like it or not even after reading the details here. What do you think? I do like the Digimon-esque aspect of it though.

Also, I agree about Rapunzel being unwelcome.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yuber6969 said:

Congrats! Some of the Engrish you described reminded me of a certain someone that we know lol. Also made me nostalgic for "This guy are sick!"

Thanks Yuber! Funny that you referenced a bit of Engrish from Final Fantasy 7, as that can also be linked back to this certain someone. ?

5 hours ago, Yuber6969 said:

I don't think I've played anything in the genre, so I'm really not sure if I'd like it or not even after reading the details here. What do you think? I do like the Digimon-esque aspect of it though.

Rogue-likes are different enough that you probably won't really know if they're for you until you try one. I'll have to do some research to see what the easiest entry points are for the genre on PS4. It feels like DFZ may be somewhere in the middle, with games like Shiren and Genso Wanderer being a little more real in terms of difficulty. Hopefully somebody that's played games like DragonFangZ can jump in at some point and comment. ?

Standard JRPGs acclimated us to a certain level of comfort. Your levels are always growing, your equipment is always getting better, you can hoard items to your heart's content, and the consequences for death are mostly dismissible. DragonFangZ takes almost all of that away from you. Levels are ethereal, you can't hoard gold between runs and ball out at the merchants, and you will have to learn to be okay with the fact that you can't take everything with you. The limited inventory was the biggest struggle for me. ? I often found myself internally begging for just one more item page - one more item slot! Those are the rules of the game, though, so I learned to live with it. These differences don't make rogue-likes bad, but they do make for a completely different experience that you have to change your mindset and approach for.

To get some idea of whether you might enjoy the genre, look to past experiences with games that have - at least - bits and pieces of Rogue in them. Something like Diablo, Minecraft, or even Zombies in Call of Duty. The concept of starting from zero, building yourself up for the big challenge ahead, and then wiping the slate of progress clean to do it all over again in your next run, or next character, depending. If that kind of thing does strike a feeling of appeal for you, then there might be something here for you.

5 hours ago, Yuber6969 said:

Also, I agree about Rapunzel being unwelcome.

Reverse Rapunzel? More like Reverse Fun. What a snooze that was. ?

• Like 2

Owie Wowie!  :highfive:

Congrats Aiha on another fantastic write-up and your 35th platinum trophy. :platinum:

It's always interesting reading about your experiences, I had never even heard of DragonFang, let alone the sequel but it actually looks fun.

• Like 1

Congrats on the platinum, Aiha. And great, detailed write-up as always. ?

I have to admit, I've heard the terms rogue-like and rogue-lite used extensively in gaming lately and, up until now, I wasn't entirely sure what those terms meant for the games themselves. Like, I had a vague idea about them, but that article you linked at the beginning of your post really provided all the insight I was needing to truly understand and differentiate these two. Personally, I'm not entirely sure if this genre is for me yet. The only previous experiences I can recount in the genre would be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness on the DS; which I greatly, greatly enjoyed for its surprisingly emotional storyline and not so much for its gameplay; and a couple of Diablo games. I may have played other games with similar rogue-lite elements in them in the past but I can't recall any right now.

That Pokemon game, those dungeon exploring mechanics and such, I remember thinking they were novel at the time and I found them okay but I'd be lying if I said they were the ones that keep me glued to the game. It was the story, of all things, what kept me hooked to it. And in a Pokemon game, I know. ^^;; It was darn good. That's why I'm not entirely sure if this genre could be for me.

DragonFangZ looks like a cute little game and I can see that you had a pretty good time with it, "All your base are belong to us" aside. xD So good that you wrote a guide and everything, which is really commendable. Hope to see it published soon. ^^ I can see the game resembles that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game I played a long time ago. Not sure if I'd be willing to give it a go based on gameplay alone but maybe with a good discount, I could consider giving it a go.

Thanks for the write-up again. It was awesome. =D
And those gifs look great on your pieces. I kinda want to use those on mine too but I am too lazy to do them, lol. xxD

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Congrats on the platinum, Aiha. And great, detailed write-up as always. ?

I have to admit, I've heard the terms rogue-like and rogue-lite used extensively in gaming lately and, up until now, I wasn't entirely sure what those terms meant for the games themselves. Like, I had a vague idea about them, but that article you linked at the beginning of your post really provided all the insight I was needing to truly understand and differentiate these two. Personally, I'm not entirely sure if this genre is for me yet. The only previous experiences I can recount in the genre would be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness on the DS; which I greatly, greatly enjoyed for its surprisingly emotional storyline and not so much for its gameplay; and a couple of Diablo games. I may have played other games with similar rogue-lite elements in them in the past but I can't recall any right now.

Thank you kindly, good sir. ?

I'm glad the article helped out. I was thoroughly confused as to what the terms actually meant, and it was probably because they were being applied to so many types of games, that I just couldn't be bothered racking my brain any further, lol. I'm glad the air is finally cleared, though, at least for us.

I often see Pokémon Mystery Dungeon held as one of the best in the genre, so if that didn't impress you in terms of gameplay, then things may not be looking good. I have seen a few on PS4 that look worth playing, and happen to feature cute girls as playable characters. As we all know, cute girls make new games and new genres more approachable, so it should be fine, right? I'll make sure to share my findings whenever I get to the next ones.

DragonFangZ looks like a cute little game and I can see that you had a pretty good time with it, "All your base are belong to us" aside. xD So good that you wrote a guide and everything, which is really commendable. Hope to see it published soon. ^^ I can see the game resembles that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game I played a long time ago. Not sure if I'd be willing to give it a go based on gameplay alone but maybe with a good discount, I could consider giving it a go.

Thank you! I hope the guide will eventually make its way to those curious about the game, or those that may have given up because they just could not figure out what to do. Hopefully the most recent sale was just the first of more to come. It's worth getting on discount, but maybe not at full price.

And those gifs look great on your pieces. I kinda want to use those on mine too but I am too lazy to do them, lol. xxD

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a GIF is worth a million" -Compa's Grandpa... maybe (not really)

I love getting those GIFs in there when I can. Sometimes it's best to see things in motion, and I'm happy the PS4 removed the biggest barrier to GIF creation for those without capture cards. It also keeps the flow of reading going, since you don't have to stop to pop open a ~10 second YouTube video. A bit of extra work, but it's worth it. ?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kefka1986 said:

I love how detailed your posts are! I'll follow this thread closely, as well as Dragonfangz just in case it's on sale in the future, it seems like a cool little hidden gem of a game!

Thank you Kefka, it really means a lot to hear such kind words. ? For the right person, DragonFangZ really is a gem, so I hope you enjoy it when you get to it. I also noticed you've completed a lot of games I'm interested in trying for myself - like those NIS, Compile Heart, and Falcom RPGs! Some of those will eventually show up here, in due time. ?

• Like 2

Congrats! "Fans of Senran Kagura should find something to enjoy here as well." All I needed to hear lol. Gonna play this one sooner rather than later.

Fanservice aside, you should check out Mega Man Zero. What you wrote here reminds me of that, gameplay-wise.

• Like 2

Awesome write-up and platinum here, AIha. Now I know I'm sold on Dead or School. I already had my eyes on it and your piece and the good time you spent on the game motivated me to totally check it out once I spot it on a future sale. A Metroidvania title with titties and one badass schoolgirl mowing down tons of zombies plus some RPG elements and cool, action-packed boss fights? I am in. =D

Fair to say that Studio Nanafushi did a pretty good job on this one. Hopefully, this won't be the last time we heard from them. It's always nice to see an indie studio creating quality games like this. For a moment, I thought this one could've end up being a clunky experience or something, but it seems those 20-30 hours it takes to beat it are well worth the investment. ^^

Also. ☝️

On 16/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, AihaLoveleaf said:

cgAvX5b.gif

Suggestive restriction of movement by a freakishly ugly mutant? Just like my Japanese animes

I've seen enough of these "Japanese animes" you speak to know where this is going. xxD

And you mentioned Mokusei's past work involved K-On! doujin as well? Hmmm, sounds like some research is in order. =w=

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Yuber6969 said:

Congrats! "Fans of Senran Kagura should find something to enjoy here as well." All I needed to hear lol. Gonna play this one sooner rather than later.

Fanservice aside, you should check out Mega Man Zero. What you wrote here reminds me of that, gameplay-wise.

Thanks Yuber! Though Dead or School isn't as great as, say, Shinovi Versus, there's still enough appeal here for fans of service. It may feel a bit slow early on, but the game really picks up once you get your first "OP" weapon.

Mega Man Zero does look pretty sweet, and there seems to be a nice amount of git guddery as well, based on the gameplay I watched earlier. When the sale prices are right for the series, I may go ahead and grab them up.

8 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Awesome write-up and platinum here, AIha. Now I know I'm sold on Dead or School. I already had my eyes on it and your piece and the good time you spent on the game motivated me to totally check it out once I spot it on a future sale. A Metroidvania title with titties and one badass schoolgirl mowing down tons of zombies plus some RPG elements and cool, action-packed boss fights? I am in. =D

Thanks Honor! The boss fights here are indeed pretty cool. Though you're ultimately employing the same gameplay mechanics throughout, the way you approach and handle each boss is unique. Also, boobs - definitely boobs. ?

Fair to say that Studio Nanafushi did a pretty good job on this one. Hopefully, this won't be the last time we heard from them. It's always nice to see an indie studio creating quality games like this. For a moment, I thought this one could've end up being a clunky experience or something, but it seems those 20-30 hours it takes to beat it are well worth the investment. ^^

I'm impressed by what Nanafushi were able to put together here. The game isn't totally jank-free, but nothing truly game-breaking appeared in my playthrough, which was great. I also hope Nanafushi will find the funds/motivation to complete their next project, whatever it might be. They mentioned via Steam that they had interest in a Dead or School 2. There's also a video on their YouTube channel about a VR rhythm idol game (which looks like a music-based runner). Neither of the two have seen any developments in the past few years. Would be joyed to see a sudden announcement from them sometime this year. Here's hoping.

I've seen enough of these "Japanese animes" you speak to know where this is going. xxD

And you mentioned Mokusei's past work involved K-On! doujin as well? Hmmm, sounds like some research is in order. =w=

Plenty more service where that came from, as well as a few "cute" scenes that are a little less raunchy than what the game usually displays. Those are best experienced in the contexts of their moments in the game, though, so I'll leave those for the player to discover. ?

Yeah, the couple I read were a bit weird in terms of plot, lol, but the action was good enough. Between the ero manga, and his original manga, there seems to be quite a bit of material to sink some time into. Will have to line up the manga Dead or School came from as a future reading project to enhance my connection with the game's story.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have always wanted to start the neptunia franchise and the Atelier franchise, I definitely think you did the right thing starting with the very first and going up from there, there are a ton of games and spin-offs, but nothing beats the original experience.

Please tell us when you are done with the entire collection if you recommend to experience the ps3 games, or we can jump directly to remasters (and which spin-offs are worthy! I read some are great and some are… let’s say not so great ?)

• Like 1

Congrats on Both Platinum, 2 great addiction tyo your collection, i should read the Review properly later since i wanna play them both, well i even have HN already :P 

I have to say i simply LOVE the Little gif you put about the games when possible, they add so much and looks really nice, i should start trying doing some too, they are my favourite thing to see checking your reviews! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kefka1986 said:

I have always wanted to start the neptunia franchise and the Atelier franchise, I definitely think you did the right thing starting with the very first and going up from there, there are a ton of games and spin-offs, but nothing beats the original experience.

The originals have been great, and it was nice to enjoy the series on the console for a little while, because I'm going to be occupied with those Vita Neptunias for quite a long time before I finally get to see what's on PS4. ? Going into those spin-offs already knowing the characters, story, and universe can only improve the experience, so it will be interesting to tear into the first one in the way that developers probably intended.

Atelier is a future project for me as well. Gotta figure out my preferred plan of attack for the franchise, but hopefully I figure something out by the time I catch up with Neptunia.

13 hours ago, Kefka1986 said:

Please tell us when you are done with the entire collection if you recommend to experience the ps3 games, or we can jump directly to remasters (and which spin-offs are worthy! I read some are great and some are… let’s say not so great 1f604.png)

I will definitely share my findings with the Vita remakes, along with any new/stripped features, and other noteworthy comparisons to be made. I'll talk about each Re;birth game as I finish them up, so you won't be waiting too long for comparisons to the PS3 experience. ?

I've also heard from friends and others about some of the spin-offs being not so hot. ? That's a pity, because the main storyline games so far have all been brilliant. I'll knock on wood and hope I end up the guy that somehow has a positive experience with all of them, lol.

12 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

Congrats on Both Platinum, 2 great addiction tyo your collection, i should read the Review properly later since i wanna play them both, well i even have HN already :P 

Thank you Sora! Both Dead or School, and Victory (or Re;birth3) are a great time, if you're in the mood to play something moé. Since you're going the Vita route, it's definitely worth coming back to Re;birth2 someday, to get yourself ready for the third game. 

12 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

I have to say i simply LOVE the Little gif you put about the games when possible, they add so much and looks really nice, i should start trying doing some too, they are my favourite thing to see checking your reviews! 

Thank you for that! ? Making those gifs is pretty fun, and I love how easy it is to do with the PS4. Wish I could have done the same for the PS3 Neptunia games; those are loaded with gif-worthy moments that would have looked great in a review post. It will definitely happen when I get to the PS4 games. ?

• Like 2

I thought I was following this thread, but I guess I wasn't. I can't say I've heard of DragonFangZ or Dead or School prior to this, though I might have to check them out now. Having only played Risk of Rain, I have no experience with RPG rougelikes. DragonFangZ seems like a better place to start than what I was initially thinking of starting with (The Guided Fate Paradox). Dead or School, on the other hand, looks pretty straightforward. 

19 hours ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

A new Neptunia brings new girls, and new girls bring opportunity for new best girl, and in a series full of best girls, it's a welcome addition. Plutia - voiced by Kana Hanazawa (wow!) - joins the party this time around, and she is just precious. In the words of Neptune, Plutia is bed-headed, spaced-out, and gullible. Trusting to a fault, empathetic, and caring, Plutia is CUTE... at least, until she transforms. Upon transformation, Plutia becomes Iris Heart, going from sweet angel, to sexy dominatrix. To Iris Heart, everybody is a potential play-thing to be teased, tortured, or worse. The way Iris Heart toys with the cast - whether friend or foe - is incredible, and contributes to some of Victory's most memorable moments. 

MDkoh6J.gif

It's not often that I see a paragraph I agree with so strongly! You really caught my attention with this part, lol. Unfortunately, however, this is the part where I deeply regret to inform you that Plutia only appears in two of the spin-offs... Perhaps it is due to this that I can't help but criticize some of the spin-offs so harshly; if they stopped leaving out my favorite character from the series (and number one favorite seiyuu) my bias would probably go in the other direction. 

20 hours ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

With the PS3 originals finally experienced, it'll soon be time to venture into the franchise's remakes and spin-offs. The plan is to play through trophy-enabled entries in the franchise, as close to release order as I can possibly get (problems may occur when I get to the PS5 exclusive Reverse). I do also intend to play through the Re;birth remakes of the PS3 titles on the Vita, and I'll make sure to let you know if there are any differences you need to be aware of. I'll be Nepping for a good while in this thread, with other games here and there to mix things up. 

Will you be going with Re;Birth 1 or Producing Perfection first? They came out the same year, but I'm not sure about the exact dates. I don't think Producing Perfection is quite as bad as some say, and I'd bet some of the hate comes from the platinum being kind of annoying rather than the actual game itself. Re;Birth 1 is one of the best games the series has to offer and is where it all started for me. Whatever you choose, good luck Nepping (not that you'll need it). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cave Johnson said:

I thought I was following this thread, but I guess I wasn't. I can't say I've heard of DragonFangZ or Dead or School prior to this, though I might have to check them out now. Having only played Risk of Rain, I have no experience with RPG rougelikes. DragonFangZ seems like a better place to start than what I was initially thinking of starting with (The Guided Fate Paradox). Dead or School, on the other hand, looks pretty straightforward. 

DragonFangZ is not a bad starting point! It can be challenging at points, but always feels doable, unlike some of the hybrids and roguelites out there I am sure, lol. I was checking out Guided Fate Paradox a little while ago, and was wondering why it caught a 9/10 rating on PST. Checked the guide again, and it looks like it's a rogue-like with permadeath -- yep, explains a lot. I might be able to drum up enough interest in that for a future project, depending on how I'm feeling after some more research.

1 hour ago, Cave Johnson said:

It's not often that I see a paragraph I agree with so strongly! You really caught my attention with this part, lol. Unfortunately, however, this is the part where I deeply regret to inform you that Plutia only appears in two of the spin-offs... Perhaps it is due to this that I can't help but criticize some of the spin-offs so harshly; if they stopped leaving out my favorite character from the series (and number one favorite seiyuu) my bias would probably go in the other direction. 

Glad you liked that part! ? I can tell from the PSN avatar you're also an enjoyer of that sweet and sadistic CPU. The bad news is unfortunate, but I guess that does explain why I never really see Plutia on the artwork for any of the spinoffs. I'm already somewhat used to the feeling of losing girls I like (mostly the DLC girls) between games, when they fail to come back. The curse of adding too many girls to the moéblob, I guess. ? Plutia is kind of an important character, though, so it does feel bad to waste such a great girl, and seiyuu too! I'll be happy if I accidentally get some more Hanakana in a future Japanese game, at least. 

2 hours ago, Cave Johnson said:

Will you be going with Re;Birth 1 or Producing Perfection first? They came out the same year, but I'm not sure about the exact dates. I don't think Producing Perfection is quite as bad as some say, and I'd bet some of the hate comes from the platinum being kind of annoying rather than the actual game itself. Re;Birth 1 is one of the best games the series has to offer and is where it all started for me. Whatever you choose, good luck Nepping (not that you'll need it). 

Wikipedia has Producing Perfection listed first, so that'll be the next one up for me. I also heard from others that parts of it are not-so-hot, but I'm still feeling optimistic about it. I'm eager to try out an idol simulator for myself. Idolmaster 2 is in the cards, but chances are I'll end up playing Neptunia PP first. I'm also eager to check out Re;birth1 -- as that's really a title where I have questions that need answers, so I won't be holding off too long for it. ?

• Like 3