How did you guys started with trophy hunting?

Slifer1945

I've always tried to complete everything in a game I like, since my Ps2 days.

Never really cared about the Ps3 trophy system until I play Final Fantasy XIII.

I loved this game so much, that i wanted to enjoy everything the game had to offer, even getting the system trophies that I wasn't caring before.

After my first plat (FF13), I found the trophy hunt so fun, then I decided to try making the same in all the games I like.

Edited by MegaMegu__
I'm curious about my fellow hunters
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MegaMegu__ said:

I've always tried to complete everything in a game I like, since my Ps2 days.

Never really cared about the Ps3 trophy system until I play Final Fantasy XIII.

I loved this game so much, that i wanted to enjoy everything the game had to offer, even getting the system trophies that I wasn't caring before.

After my first plat (FF13), I found the trophy hunt so fun, then I decided to try making the same in all the games I like.

i started a year ago first i did some easy 20 minutes games then normal easy games and i try long and hard games to see if i can finish them to 100 percent and its working trophy hunting is really fun to do 

• Like 1

I never knew what trophies were until I decided to leave home for uni. Me and my brother had a PS3 but I only had one game, FF13 and the Piggyback guide, which I got all the trophies for via the guide, but I didn't know what that meant as i didn't even have a PSN account. Then when I had to move out, I bought a new PS3 to take with me as my brother wanted to keep the old one, so I googled how to transfer data which explained data transfer, PSN accounts and of course trophies and that's how i discovered trophies and got into trophy hunting. I created an account, synced the trophies and got my first plat.... I had the platinum for FF13 for 3 years on just my PS3 user account without ever being online or logged into an actual PSN account. Sounds silly but it was true. I was always a completionist, like back before trophies I used to complete the pokedex and win all the contests ranks and battle tower in pokemon, get every chest and do every quest on PS2 JRPGs etc. so getting into trophy hunting was pretty natural for me.  

My brother doesn't really know or care for trophies, he has no plats and doesn't care about them. Most of my friends don't even game, and the ones that do don't know much about trophies, their profiles are rubbish full of random FIFA and COD games that have like 1-5% completion each, so this site and the trophies thread on reddit are the only ways I get to know other trophy hunters. 

• Like 2

As far as actual achievement hunting goes I started well before trophies even existed. 

I played RuneScape as a completionist. Had to level up all skills to a certain point, complete all quests, do all achievement diaries, play all mini games, etc etc. Before that, it was trying to earn all stars in Super Mario 64 and beat every level in Goldeneye 006, both on the Nintendo 64. 

Trophy wise, I was close to the platinum in Assassin’s Creed II. From there I decided I was going to finish the rest of my collection of PS3 and PS4 games to the best of my ability. 

Still fun, enjoyable and at times challenging. But gaming is my life long hobby. Trophies are at best the cherry on top of the cake.

• Like 2

It all started with World of Warcraft when they added the achievement system and I became obsessed with it. I've always been a completionist in terms of collecting stuff in games but never did any challenge runs or unique things the game had to offer. Seeing the many different tasks the game asks you to do made me strive to do things in games I would have never done. This naturally translated to trophies when I got my PS3 and it's been a journey ever since.

• Like 3

I started playing far cry primal on pc, just to try something different then my standard League-csgo rotation. I opened map and saw many different points on the map. Started doing them, it took me maybe like 2 weeks to go to most of them. I wondered about if its worth to 100% games and i remembered my friend that invited me to his house after school, he was flexing platinum trophy in heavy rain (it was when i didnt care about games at all) So i did some research and find out that im really into getting trophies xD and that most of the games are more rewarding and satisfaing to 100% then ubisoft games. I picked up cheaper version of ps4 and bought myself spiderman. I think i did full nights like 3 days in a row and when the dopamine got into my brain after getting platinum. There was no going back now.

It was possibly LittleBigPlanet that started me off with trophy hunting but I’m not so 100% but I do 100% know that LittleBigPlanet was my first platinum.

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

As far as actual achievement hunting goes I started well before trophies even existed. 

I played RuneScape as a completionist. Had to level up all skills to a certain point, complete all quests, do all achievement diaries, play all mini games, etc etc. Before that, it was trying to earn all stars in Super Mario 64 and beat every level in Goldeneye 006, both on the Nintendo 64. 

Trophy wise, I was close to the platinum in Assassin’s Creed II. From there I decided I was going to finish the rest of my collection of PS3 and PS4 games to the best of my ability. 

Still fun, enjoyable and at times challenging. But gaming is my life long hobby. Trophies are at best the cherry on top of the cake.

I have 99 thieving on Old School RuneScape and as for Super Mario 64, on the 3D All Stars version of the game, I’m working on obtaining 100% completion in that game. 

Edited by BrettyBoy

I used to 100% a few games, ones I was really into, like some old Pokemon games, the Pikmin games, some Mario games, etc. For a few years in the late 2000s to early 2010s, I kinda stopped caring about that, and actually kind of grew a bit bored of games in general, which I think was due to depression and other life factors at the time, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Anyhow, I just decided, kind of spur of the moment one day, that I wanted to attempt a platinum, since I noticed I didn't have any platinum trophies, and never paid much attention to the trophy system previously. So I decided on Assassin's Creed 2, my favourite game in the series at the time, and eventually got the plat for it. At some point, I got somewhat addicted to platinum hunting, but that's definitely died down now in more recent years. I still enjoy it, but I also enjoy 100%ing games that don't have trophies, something I had been neglecting when I was at my peak of platinum obsession.

• Like 1

Going for trophies was just something that was very natural for me to approach...I guess that's why it's still so strange to me that most gamers don't care about them at all. I mean I've been gaming since the NES days, so I was there in the land before time of trophies, I know what it's like to just play games and think about nothing else. But once trophies became a thing I never really thought to myself "well I'm going to play this way now", I just did it because it seemed like the natural course to take. Which is strange because, I wasn't really a completionist before...I was more the beat the story then start the game over, type. 

Granted, I technically started with Achievements. 2006, my PS2 was stolen out of my apartment. Lost the place about a month later. 2007 I was living with a couple friends and convinced one of them to get a PS3 (he had a PS2 already and was trying to decide between PS3 and 360) and the three of us played the hell out of that, that's when my PSN actually started but of course Trophies weren't a thing yet. By 2008 a lot of shit went down and I had moved back in with my parents, my brother also lived with them...since I didn't have shit to my name at the time, I played on his 360 when I could (usually when he wasn't there)....I didn't play much, but I did dabble in Achievements a bit. He then eventually got a PS3 that he rarely touched (he's an Xbox guy), so I gamed on that too knowing I already had a PSN...trophies were pretty new, but like I said, it just felt right to go for them. But it was Christmas 2009, I asked my parents for an HDTV and a PS3...I was tired of playing on my brothers consoles and wanted my own again. At that point....everything I played was trophy oriented. Didn't get my first Platinum though until several months later with Smackdown vs. RAW 2010. But I knew by then I was hooked into this world. 

Edited by Viper

I’ve always sort of been a completionist but I got my first platinum trophy accidentally.

I was playing job simulator and I just got all the trophies naturally and unlocked the platinum.

I didn’t 100% any other games until 3 years later because I had the urge to get a platinum trophy for some reason. I knew accounting plus was an easy platinum and it looked like a fun game so I did the 100%. That got the ball rolling and I ended up getting platinum trophies on a lot more games and here I am today with 15 platinums.

Since I first picked up a controller on the Sega Master System, I've had completionist tendencies, so I took to achievement systems like a duck to water. With trophies specifically, I think one popped while I was playing Resistance 2, and I immediately had the urge to collect as many as possible.

• Like 1

I've always been somewhat of a completionist.  Always liked to do all that I can.  Going out of my way for things probably started with Digimon World and the medals or the Battle Network games and the save icons.  And trophies, it all started when I popped the plat for Final Fantasy XIII-2.  

On 6/24/2022 at 4:30 PM, Copanele said:

While playing Dark Souls 2 and whacking Undead with a +10 Large Club, I randomly thought "hey, why not also grab all these shiny achievements?"

And it just got worse from that point onwards xD 

It doesn't give me hope when I often hear that Dark Souls 2 is the weakest in the entire genre. I'm including Bloodborne, Elden Ring and Demon's Souls (both the 2009 original and the PS5 remake) since they're all pretty comparable with each other. There are good AA/AAA production games like Nioh and Nioh 2 that have obvious influence. Bad AA/AAA production games like Lords of the Fallen that were just cashing in on the Soulsborne genre. Finally, you got indies like Salt & Sanctuary and Blasphemous that are both decent, and have obvious inspiration from Soulsborne.

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

It doesn't give me hope when I often hear that Dark Souls 2 is the weakest in the entire genre. I'm including Bloodborne, Elden Ring and Demon's Souls (both the 2009 original and the PS5 remake) since they're all pretty comparable with each other. There are good AA/AAA production games like Nioh and Nioh 2 that have obvious influence. Bad AA/AAA production games like Lords of the Fallen that were just cashing in on the Soulsborne genre. Finally, you got indies like Salt & Sanctuary and Blasphemous that are both decent, and have obvious inspiration from Soulsborne.

Ah when I said it got worse I meant "it got worse with my trophy hunting thing " xD because my god I would have never considered grinding online in videogames before PSNP.

Although Dark Souls 2 is considered the weakest (debatable, it is not the weakest for me), it's considered a weak Dark Souls game, not a weak game :D that's the best part about it.

It's like "mneh, kinda weak, a 9/10 for this one". You will have a great time with it regardless, if you love the series.

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Ah when I said it got worse I meant "it got worse with my trophy hunting thing " xD because my god I would have never considered grinding online in videogames before PSNP.

Although Dark Souls 2 is considered the weakest (debatable, it is not the weakest for me), it's considered a weak Dark Souls game, not a weak game :D that's the best part about it.

It's like "mneh, kinda weak, a 9/10 for this one". You will have a great time with it regardless, if you love the series.

Runescape and World of Warcraft permanently rendered me immune to long, horrendous grinding in video games. A hundred hours or even a few hundred hours of grind is literally child's play compared to the several thousand hours I invested in both MMORPGs (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) over a decade time span. 

46 minutes ago, Copanele said:

i play ofline is online different then ofline because i never touched the online part of the games 

7 minutes ago, sword-blaster45 said:

i play ofline is online different then ofline because i never touched the online part of the games 

Usually most online games require boosting or unreasonable amounts of hours spent.

For instance, if you were to go for the DragonBall FighterZ platinum, you have to reach a certain online rank. Which means, either get mad good at the game in order to beat all the equally good players in Ranked, or find another player and slowly trade wins until you get the trophy.

It's definitely more of a headache than your regular offline playthrough :D 

3 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Usually most online games require boosting or unreasonable amounts of hours spent.

For instance, if you were to go for the DragonBall FighterZ platinum, you have to reach a certain online rank. Which means, either get mad good at the game in order to beat all the equally good players in Ranked, or find another player and slowly trade wins until you get the trophy.

It's definitely more of a headache than your regular offline playthrough :D 

thanks is it easy to find other players for coop i dont have saints row gat out of hell coop trophie and dead island etc and other online trophies from the games i have