How did you guys started with trophy hunting?

Slifer1945

I remember it like it was yesterday. My little brother came home from school one evening and he asked me, why haven't we earned any platinum(s) on the games that we played together? I didn't have a dignified response as to why we hadn't earned any. Surly we'd earn a couple of miscellaneous ones here and there, like a bronze or a silver trophy, but never an actual platinum. What started as a simple question has become an unforgettable journey but most importantly a hobby. Our first platinum popped on the 12th of March 2016 for The Order: 1886 - The Grail. However, I'm also realistic, I do believe I won't be able to earn every single platinum on my account for every game that I own. Because I also play for enjoyment or whatever peaks my interest. 

Well, that's my story, not the greatest. If you read my response I would like to thank you and wish you a wonderful day. Take care and stay safe.

• Like 2

Joined PS3T.com back in the day and everyone was talking about trophies/plats which piqued my interest.

I had a mate on there give me shit for not having any plats which made me get Heavy Rain’s. That was it, I became invested in trophies.

I started with steam achievements in Empire total war, Diablo 3 & Dragon age origins back in 2009/10 so the transition to trophies came fairly natural, I only had a few games on PS3 undone so I went back and cleaned them up. When I created my ps account in 2010 I had only bioshock and call of duty waw incomplete. Dragon Age origins was one of my very first plats awesome game by the way.

• Like 1

Maybe in 2012. I got my first trophy in 2011 (Mad Looks from Shaun White Skateboading, missing time stamp due not having a PSN account). I had just gotten PS3 for my birthday. Then I slowly got more games. Trophies came naturally as I made progress in different games. I appreciate games that give natural incentive towards trophies, ie. if the game feels fun / good enough to put in time, then it's just a matter of time and grinding. In other words, if the gameplay is fun and there's a reason to unlock everything or visit every location etc. it comes without too much effort. :)  There's been only a few occassions when I have had to put in more effort by organizing sessions and joining games. I'm not too social online, so there's always a little threshold...

On 6/24/2022 at 9:52 PM, maxfighter23___ said:

i started a year ago first i did some easy 20 minutes games then normal easy games and i try long and hard games to see if i can finish them to 100 percent and its working trophy hunting is really fun to do 

There are really people that get into it with these easy games? i mean 20min ones at least can be good ones still (i played a few very short but good games myself) but i kinda didnt expect non trophy hunters to even find them. how did you come to the conclusion that doing a 20minplatinum is something you want to do? did you play games before and the platinum felt unachieveable so you decided to go for a quick one or did someone recommend it to you? 

for me i just love lists and ticking things of lists. filling my pokedex making a todolist and working things off. the second i encountered trophies it was clear that i am interested in ticking things of that list^^

My siblings and I all got into trophies at the same time back in 2012, we were all a part of a larger boosting group for Resident Evil 5, trying to get through the online trophies on PlayStation 3 while primarily relying on the PS3's in-console text chatroom feature. We had already been gaming on the PS3 before then and since the console's launch, however, trophies were still new to us and we had only really just found out what they entailed. RE5 ended up being all of our first platinum trophy (something you won't see on this account of course, as that was three PSN accounts ago for me!).

Discovering trophies opened up a whole new world for my siblings and I; we were all very competitive with it and would constantly try to one-up each other, in a friendly, competitive way. My brother would always be in the lead on platinums, while my sister and I frequently passed around 2nd and 3rd places. Back then, even just seeing 12 platinums on an account was extremely impressive. Trophy hunting was such a niche, that most people I spoke to outside of that boosting group didn't even know what they were... Until, of course, we discovered the world of PSTs and PSNPs and the like, creating sessions with international players and earning trophies seemed easier than ever before. The rest is history.

To be honest, even to this day, seeing my own platinum count surprises me. Probably because my siblings and I were really set on trying to reach 100 platinums. Now that I have over 100, I genuinely feel content with letting this trophy obsession go, and have done so in recent years (I also ended up being the first of my siblings to do so, major household flex :giggle:).

I even met one of my closest friends from that initial boosting group, who I am still friends with to this day, and at this point, is basically a brother to me 12 years later.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

There are really people that get into it with these easy games? i mean 20min ones at least can be good ones still (i played a few very short but good games myself) but i kinda didnt expect non trophy hunters to even find them. how did you come to the conclusion that doing a 20minplatinum is something you want to do? did you play games before and the platinum felt unachieveable so you decided to go for a quick one or did someone recommend it to you? 

for me i just love lists and ticking things of lists. filling my pokedex making a todolist and working things off. the second i encountered trophies it was clear that i am interested in ticking things of that list^^

good question i thought i try a easy game and before i knew it the platinum trophie was unlocked but then i looked trough my backlog i did 2 long games persona 5 royal and diablo reaper of souls+dlc and i did singleplayer only to get the classes to lvl 70 now i am at 24 platinum trophies next up is lego jurrasic world i have done 3 other lego games and i play also a genre called rpg i did a few easy games like my name is mayo peasant knight my name is mayo 2 and so my trophie hunting begun but i am most proud of diablo reaper of souls and dragonball xenoverse 2 and i also unlocked my very first ultra rare trophie 

• Like 1

Played casually on xbox, until trueachievements randomly accused me of cheating achievements (obviously wrong).

Took it as an insult and said screw it and moved to psn. Fresh start and focused solely on getting a 100% profile. Started as a casual middle finger to losers on the internet with god complexes and expanded it into a hobby, once I started to meet people I enjoyed to socialize with.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 1

I started collecting accidentally. I'm an old-timer and my favorite console was the SNES. I've always had the (unhealthy) compulsion to 100% my games. This would take me hundreds of hours per game as maxing everything was required. I'd get max money, max level, max stats, etc. I would usually only "beat" a game every year or so as I would obsessively play a game until it was mastered. 

By the time most people were playing PS3 and XBOX 360, I was still grinding old PS1 games to master them. As an example, I think I had 800 hours in Final Fantasy Tactics as I would power level everyone, then de-level them to build up other stats by power leveling them in another class. I did this until each character was perfect (including the generics given to you at the beginning of the game). 

My college roommate had a PS3 and we played some games together occasionally until one day I earned my first trophy... it was gradual at first, but at some point my mind "clicked" into a new configuration and I realized I could earn trophies as a "developer approved" method of getting 100% and it freed me from my other obsessive habit. 

Because of trophies, I enjoy gaming even more and I've played hundreds of titles and dozens of genres I would never have been able to experience if I never broke the habit of perfecting my games.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. 

• Like 3