• Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen
    • Pokémon Emerald
    • Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
    • Pokémon Platinum
    • Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
    • Pokémon Black and White
    • Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
    • Pokémon X and Y

Nothing will ever come close to the feeling of playing the first ever pokemon game (mine was Pokemon blue) and just entering such a unique game which sadly will never have that same feeling of excitement and getting ready to adventure into the unknown of pokemon :(

My vote goes to Pokemon Red/Green/Blue

• Like 1

I went for Ruby and Sapphire.

I loved everything about those games. The Pokemon designs, the music, the area, the villains. My only real negative was that the previous games on a weaker console had access to two regions while this took it back to one.

I'm not really sure if Crystal, Emerald and Platinum deserve their own spots in the poll though.

While it'd be easy to go with the first generation titles, primarily Pokemon Blue version, I must admit that the fourth generation had certainly changed the way that I played. Primarily with moves like Waterfall having the ability to be a physical attack, rather than an automatic special attack, or any Ghost move automatically becoming a physical attack -- making Gengar not-so-awesome when compared to Alakazam in Gen 1.

If anything, I'll probably make my choice based on this factor, and by how appealing I find the games to be now, in my mind.

1. Pokemon X

2. Pokemon HeartGold/ SoulSilver

3. Pokemon Red/Blue and Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen

4. Pokemon Gold (Japanese version; never owned the English versions of Gen 2)

5. Pokemon Diamond 

Now don't get me wrong, titles like Yellow Version and both Ruby/Sapphire were rather ground breaking and [super] effective, but these are based entirely on just how memorable these were in my life.

As for the tertiary titles, such as CrystalEmerald, or Platinum -- I just never cared for them. They felt like cash-in's with little to be added outside of a few battle modes or move tutors (gimmicks, rather); and while Yellow is technically a tertiary title, it went further than it's partners in Gen 1 by how it would play; it certainly required a different approach to that generation.

Can you imagine if there was a Pokemon game where you can visit any region and collect all of the badges :blink:

Not sure why they haven't tried it yet.

Only reason I could imagine would either have something to do with the limitations in cartridge storage, or because there'd be a huge disparity in Gym Leader Pokemon levels.

For instance, you can finish the first gym at level 10-12, but by the time you'd hit Gym Leader # 22, you could easily already be level 80+.

The Elite Four/Twenty would have to have Pokemon between the levels of 95-100. xD

• Like 1

Only reason I could imagine would either have something to do with the limitations in cartridge storage, or because there'd be a huge disparity in Gym Leader Pokemon levels.

For instance, you can finish the first gym at level 10-12, but by the time you'd hit Gym Leader # 22, you could easily already be level 80+.

The Elite Four/Twenty would have to have Pokemon between the levels of 95-100. xD

That would be pretty amazing. they should give it a shot instead of releasing more Mystery Dungeon and Ranger titles.

Looks like it is about time for a level cap increase :D

I believe you've nailed it. There's no real way they could do that aside from making sure you had a different set of Pokemon for each region. Something like where Ash gets rid of every pokemon he has except Pikachcu every time, minus the Pikachu. :P I'd say it's safe to say that's the main reason. If cartridge space were a problem, imagine if they made it on a disc? So much potential.

I picked Pokemon Yellow, simply because it was the improved version of Blue which was the original I had played. Naturally these are my favorites because they got me in to the games. Naturally, X and Y have taken the games to a whole new level so I can appreciate that. Such a tough decision.

It's a toss up between the 1st generation and 2nd and I really can't choose between the two. I'm going to vote for Silver because I still have a save file with over 600 hours of playtime but I really enjoy Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal equally. 

HeartGold and SoulSilver are easily the best titles to come out since the 2nd generation though, in my opinion of course. 

Parker

• Like 3

I believe you've nailed it. There's no real way they could do that aside from making sure you had a different set of Pokemon for each region. Something like where Ash gets rid of every pokemon he has except Pikachcu every time, minus the Pikachu. :P I'd say it's safe to say that's the main reason. If cartridge space were a problem, imagine if they made it on a disc? So much potential.

I picked Pokemon Yellow, simply because it was the improved version of Blue which was the original I had played. Naturally these are my favorites because they got me in to the games. Naturally, X and Y have taken the games to a whole new level so I can appreciate that. Such a tough decision.

Need to improve Wii-U sales? I believe we've just provided a valid solution. xD