South Park: The Stick of Truth Censored in the UK

Parker

This is slightly disappointing news for my friends across the pond.

33894_1_33728feee9.jpg

The European version of South Park: The Stick of Truth has been censored, with seven scenes removed from the EMEA console release.

In documents received by BT (and independently obtained by VideoGamer.com), Ubisoft said that "7 scenes of about 20 seconds each are censored in the EMEA console versions of South Park: The Stick of Truth. The decision to cut this content from the game was made by Ubisoft EMEA."

The cut scenes include "a mini-game in which the doctor is performing an abortion on the player, a mini-game in which the player is performing an abortion on the character Randy, [and] five anal probing scenes involving someone actively being probed. The scenes play out as normal before and after the active probing sequences."

According to the publisher, "each censored scene is replaced by an image background and a description text selected by [south Park creators] Matt [stone] & Trey [Parker]."

A Ubisoft representative later told VideoGamer.com that "the decision is a market decision made by Ubisoft EMEA".

The PC version remains unaffected. It is not known whether the scenes have also been cut from the North American console release.

South Park: The Stick of Truth was granted an 18 rating by European ratings board PEGI for its "extreme violence, graphic sexual activity showing genitalia, sexual violence, [and] strong language".

The game launches on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on March 7.

Source: Videogamer.com

I really don't understand why they feel the need to censor something like this when it is obvious only adults should be playing it in the first place. What do you guys think about this? Will it influence your purchasing decision? 

Parker

Yay VideoGamer.com, love those guys.

It means I'll have to go to the trouble of searching for an uncensored version, hopefully the American version remains unchanged. Otherwise I just won't buy it, I don't like to think I'm buying a 'dumbed-down' product.

Since it's rated 18+ and notes what the game contains, I should be allowed to decide what I get offended by, I don't need or want anyone else doing it for me.

If people are scared of their kids seeing this stuff, they just need to be more pro-active parents and pay attention to what their kids are doing.

It's even more censored than Australia. I foresee 3 trophy lists coming, US, EU and AU.

Yes, that is a benefit of censoring, and may even boost sales because people will import other versions for trophies.

However, I believe Beyond Two Souls was censored, and I don't think that ended up with different lists.

This is just stupid ! What the hell ? seriously , It's an 18+ game i'm an adult ! 

and for people underage it doesn't matter anyway they've seen worse on the internet 

on a daily basis ...... 

i cannot understand the mentality on the people that make these decisions 

the UK are extreme when it comes to ''protecting children etc'' well i tell you 

they aren't doing a good job if you walk down the street and take a quick look 

at all the under 18s .

i still want to buy the game though and i'm looking forward to seeing peoples opinions 

and reviews , i would just watch the uncensored scenes on youtube .

Edited by TheVolloxx-

Yes, that is a benefit of censoring, and may even boost sales because people will import other versions for trophies.

However, I believe Beyond Two Souls was censored, and I don't think that ended up with different lists.

Yeah because 15 seconds cut off of gameplay and slight cosmetic differences would really grant a new trophy list...

I'm doubtful there will be multiple lists for this since majority are just scenes that will be cut.

South Park gets shown over here with some similar themes.  It's very stupid that they had to go and censor the game.  Just stick an 18+ rating on it, if anyone comes complaining their kids are coming out with things that they shouldn't, then that's their own fault for buying their kids the game.  There's age ratings for a reason.. so we can get uncensored games.

Has there always been this much censorship in Europe and I've just never noticed? First The Last of Us had its multiplayer censored, then a scene from Beyond Two Souls and now this. Has there been some new laws brought in by the European Union or something? It seems just like Europe has had a sudden sweep of censorship and I'm really hoping it doesn't keep up.

What about Australia anyone know if it censored?

It's a shame things are being censored but considering patents now a days but their kids games like this and they are only like 10 years old or younger I think that's why they do it.

Take a guess...

Yeah, it is censored in Australia too. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-25-south-park-the-stick-of-truth-censored-in-europe

Parker

Aw really that sucks! I was going to get it on ps3 now I'm not sure if I wasn't to if it's not what the game is actually meant to be like missing parts :/

I can't imagine it will really change the game that much. According to the article there are 7 scenes that will be cut, each one being about 20 seconds long so that means only a little over 2 minutes will be cut from the game. 

Parker

I can't imagine it will really change the game that much. According to the article there are 7 scenes that will be cut, each one being about 20 seconds long so that means only a little over 2 minutes will be cut from the game. 

Parker

I guess, the mini games sounded funny tho :P

I guess, the mini games sounded funny tho :P

From speaking to a few Australian friends, I've heard a few of them say it is generally cheaper to import games from the internet so it may be possible to get the uncensored version cheaper than it would be to go to your local store. 

Parker

From speaking to a few Australian friends, I've heard a few of them say it is generally cheaper to import games from the internet so it may be possible to get the uncensored version cheaper than it would be to go to your local store. 

Parker

Alright thanks for that, I'll look into it after it has been released :)