PlayStation Stars has reinvigorated me as a Trophy hunter

Pots3k

Hi, you may remember me as the guy who made the 9563536th post about shovelware killing my trophy hunting enjoyment. Well I'm here to say I'm back into my hobby with a renewed fervor, thanks to PlayStation Stars.

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical when it was first announced but bloody hell I think they actually did it right. The balance between the game purchases required and the rare trophies needed for each level has been done really well. I don't feel pressured to buy new games, I feel incentivized to go back through my backlog. They could easily have altered  the balance so that the amount of trophies needed was fewer than the relative game purchases allowed, but they actually went the direction of getting people to PLAY games, not just buy them. 

But where it really comes together is in the fact that the trophies you earn have to be a rarity of "rare" or above, effectively nullifying the burgeoning "mayo meta". I'm so happy I have a number to chase that I actually care about again!

Edited by Pots3k
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I kind of worry about the psychological manipulation of secondary forces getting you to buy and play your games in a certain way, we already have that problem with the trophy system itself affecting all of us in some way.

More hooks to get people addicted into your ecosystem, I still feel pretty skeptical that this is a "good" thing long term. Still, I'm happy to be proven wrong though and I guess time will tell.

So, I probably should have added something along the lines of "look, I get it is an exploitative celebration of late-stage capitalism that we probably shouldn't be encouraging" but... they've just disguised it so well! 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Pots3k said:

Hi, you may remember me as the guy who made the 9563536th post about shovelware killing my trophy hunting enjoyment. Well I'm here to say I'm back into my hobby with a renewed fervor, thanks to PlayStation Stars.

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical when it was first announced but bloody hell I think they actually did it right. The balance between the game purchases required and the rare trophies needed for each level has been done really well. I don't feel pressured to buy new games, I feel incentivized to go back through my backlog. They could easily have altered  the balance so that the amount of trophies needed was fewer than the relative game purchases allowed, but they actually went the direction of getting people to PLAY games, not just buy them. 

But where it really comes together is in the fact that the trophies you earn have to be a rarity of "rare" or above, effectively nullifying the burgeoning "mayo meta". I'm so happy I have a number to chase that I actually care about again!

how do we sign up for this and are there rewards for it?

Nevermind It was on the phone application easy to sign up.

Edited by steel6burgh

1 minute ago, steel6burgh said:

Go to the PS App on your phone and press the sparkly PS symbol. The rewards exist, but don't expect to be buying games with those rewards for, like, months.

• Like 1

Just now, Pots3k said:

Go to the PS App on your phone and press the sparkly PS symbol. The rewards exist, but don't expect to be buying games with those rewards for, like, months.

yep i jus noticed it when i asked thanks!   Looks like fun.

2 minutes ago, Pots3k said:

just curious about hw many points you get for a rare trophy or completing a game?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

yep i jus noticed it when i asked thanks!   Looks like fun.

just curious about hw many points you get for a rare trophy or completing a game?

It works more like a battle pass. So when you "level up" you'll either get points, or a silly (definitely not NFT omg we promise) "collectible" thing. Points are also obtained by completing certain challenges.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Nevermind It was on the phone application easy to sign up.

I never signed up for anything, I think it's just automatically there, I got a notification sometime last week and clicked on it, and it told me I had a dinosaur and that was the first I knew about Playstation Stars. "October Check in" it was called.

Edited by enaysoft

Just now, enaysoft said:

I never signed up for anything, I think it's just automatically there, I got a notification sometime last week and clicked on it, and it told me I had a dinosaur and that was the first I knew about Playstation Stars. "October Check in" it was called.

It's weird, seems like some people have to sign up, some don't. I did, as did my friend. We live in NZ, maybe that's the difference.

45 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I have no idea what that is.

But good for you, just don't understand why what other people play takes away your personal enjoyment in gaming, this whole thing perplexes me.

I honestly thought it would have been pretty simple to understand considering you're on a site that features multiple leaderboards regarding the matter!

I'm glad someone likes it. 

I find playstations stars to be super lame. So lame that I felt compelled to make a ranting post so various strangers can see it. Which I rarely, if ever, do. 

But hey man, my opinion don't matter. Cause like I said. I'm glad someone likes it. 

And I'm not being sarcastic or whatever. I mean that. 

Good for you man.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Profeelgood said:

I'm glad someone likes it. 

I find playstations stars to be super lame. So lame that I felt compelled to make a ranting post so various strangers can see it. Which I rarely, if ever, do. 

But hey man, my opinion don't matter. Cause like I said. I'm glad someone likes it. 

And I'm not being sarcastic or whatever. I mean that. 

Good for you man.

Thanks mate, I mean look it's not perfect, but I think it's a good starting point. I hope it takes off and they improve on it!

10 minutes ago, Pots3k said:

Thanks mate, I mean look it's not perfect, but I think it's a good starting point. I hope it takes off and they improve on it!

I echo the sentiments that Profeelgood said (like literally such an iconic IDName at this sudden moment in time)

Although I do feel slightly concerned at you being "reinvigorated" as a "Trophy hunter". Not sure why you became uninspired in the first place but I just hope that after the novelty of Playstation Stars starts wears off, or if some of the challenges in the future become an absolute pain and end becoming a chore, that you don't fall into your uninspired status again.

22 minutes ago, HusKy said:

There are only 4 levels total. Earned trophies play almost no role in the system unfortunately.

Only 4 levels? Wow, that's gonna completely pretty fast?

Technically trophy levels are also capped, at level 999.

For sure all your trophies are synced to Sony's servers and nothing has been lost, but the results are displayed here on a third party website but by Sony's rules in 2022 and as such no level over 999 exists. Therefore there are about 800 people all sitting in joint 1st place.

I would enjoy it if the system was focused on earning trophies to get rewards for that game (just like happened sometimes with wallpapers being gifted as a reward for earning the platinum)

That way, I would focus on games I really want to play, and earn collectibles, wallpapers, avatars, etc for that game.

But I understand that this wouldn’t give Sony more money, so it will not be done anytime some…

But I am glad other people enjoy it!!! The more trophy hunters playing, the merrier!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Only 4 levels? Wow, that's gonna completely pretty fast?

Yeah, you only need to earn 128 trophies. Other than that, trophies seem to be useless for this. Maybe some campaigns will require them later but most of the current campaigns only serve to sell games.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/playstation-stars/

9wr3OtC.png

19 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Yeah, you only need to earn 128 trophies. Other than that, trophies seem to be useless for this. Maybe some campaigns will require them later but most of the current campaigns only serve to sell games.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/playstation-stars/

9wr3OtC.png

Wow, so it's mostly pay to win? .....

Well I guess, no different in a way to how trophies are now actually. lol

Yeah, the climb to level 4 is fun, and the 4 games purchased to 128 uncommon trophies ratio seems fair to me.

Lets hope they add more levels soon and don't get too crazy with the requirements.

I just leveled up and got rewards from buying 2 games and 2 season passes but, unfortunately, I didn't get points for one of the games, the most expensive item.

Anyone knows if there's a chance this will fix itself later, or would I have to contact support?

Ngl, this issue left me a little bit grumpy.

main-qimg-94e1de03a9ccc6ad09dcbef6e1126c

• Like 1