Why are trophies so crap?

poker_1987

9 hours ago, Hornet said:

You know you can play these games offline, right?

Really? I could swear I read Elden Ring required online/PvP always enabled and Bloodborne (or maybe just it’s DLC) was near impossible without turning to coop.

If Elden Ring can be done offline I’ll pick that up immediately…

Edited by Tsundokuist

3 hours ago, Tsundokuist said:

Really? I could swear I read Elden Ring required online/PvP always enabled and Bloodborne (or maybe just it’s DLC) was near impossible without turning to coop.

If Elden Ring can be done offline I’ll pick that up immediately…

Nope. You can turn on co-op by going online which will mean you’ll get invaded. You don’t have to. I hate it too. Everything can be done offline.

Got the platinum for Elden Ring completely offline. Played a couple of hours of Bloodborne  offline too, with DLC installed. Only Demon’s Soul Remake has online trophies afaik.

Recent pvp update of Elden Ring didn’t have any new trophies either.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 11:27 PM, poker_1987 said:

Story based ones need to go. 

Difficulty ones are ok

Grundy ones are ok

Collectables need to go.

Story based ones need to go? I don't get that. You deserve something for clearing a chapter. Side quest trophies are also good. Difficulty ones I can take or leave.

Grind trophies need to be kept limited to something you'll hit in a single play. Ys VIII has ones for 100 Flash Guards, 100 Flash Moves, 1000 enemies Broken, 100 Extra Skill uses, and 888 of one item which are reasonable enough. Adroit Artisan (all skills maxed for everyone) sounds grindy, but you can mitigate this with the high-level Warrior Seals. An example of one done wrong is Spin Artist, for a million total spins in Tetris Effect.

Take RNG trophies and put them on the bus.

Worst of all are glitched trophies thanks to developer error. Serious Sam Collection's Circle of Death in SS3 is an example. The EU version has it fixed, while the NA version does not and remains unplattable. Kill at least three enemies with the sledge hammer spin... easy enough, if it would work. I tried on the Villa Survival mode where the sledge hammer spawns after about a couple minutes. I took out about 6 Rocketeers with the spin, and still no deal. Praying that Croteam will fix it soon.

I'm always in favor of games having trophy lists that actually reward completionism - trophy lists that don't actually require you to get anywhere near 100%ing a game are IMO more akin to participation trophies than they are actual solid achievement lists, given that the whole point of achievements to begin with was to provide markers of achievement. You were never supposed to get every single achievement in every single game and it's odd that people have gotten so used to expecting to.

I am divided on collectible trophies, though, not because I don't think collectibles are a category worth tracking, but because most modern AAA games shouldn't have collectibles. I have no interest in collecting 300 pictures of mugs that serve no gameplay or story purpose whatsoever and exist solely to pad out a game and make it seem like it has more content than it does. 

The trophies I don't like are the ones that artificially inflate time spent on the game by going way beyond what can be reasonably viewed as completing the game. To me, earning a platinum means I did everything the game offers, seen all the mechanics, finished the story, beaten some extra bosses or gathered some collectibles maybe, did it on a harder difficulty and similar stuff. But then there are trophies like "farm 500 gazillion stuffs" "beat the entire several hour long game from start to finish before you have to blink" or "finish the game with one hand, no deaths and without using some of the games features while holding your cock in the other hand".

Some trophies just scream desperation on the devs part to increase the time some people spend with these games, shitty speedrun trophies, no death ones, insanely grindy ones, massive team efforts in multiplayer. I certainly wouldn't mind some of them disappearing, especially speedruns, which is the most perverse and unnatural way to play a game for me, and no death given that it feels the most like wasting time due to the progress being lost with every death.

1 hour ago, poker_1987 said:

If anything there should only be online multiplayer achievements. Prove your skill against other people

That would be pretty awesome as I would never earn any achievement or trophy, so I'd never have to worry about completion. I've only really played multiplayer in games for the trophies, and if that was the only kind of trophies there were, then I just wouldn't bother with them at all. I have no desire or need to prove my skill against other people. I'm probably the least competitive person there is.

On 12/18/2022 at 0:38 PM, poker_1987 said:

If anything there should only be online multiplayer achievements. Prove your skill against other people

That would be akin to putting trophies behind a paywall. At least for PS4 and PS5 you need PS+ to play online modes for almost every game that has them.

I hope you weren't serious. :hmm:

On 12/10/2022 at 5:27 PM, poker_1987 said:

Story based ones need to go. 

Difficulty ones are ok

Grundy ones are ok

Collectables need to go.

Discuss

Solomon Grundy says no Grundy trophies!

I like story trophies, personally. Collectibles I can do without (particularly when the collectible serves no purpose other than as a tick mark for the trophy itself). But story trophies remind me of high (and low) points of the main game. They shouldn't be the whole list, but they should be there.

On 12/18/2022 at 5:38 AM, poker_1987 said:

That would be fine if people didn't have to pay for online multiplayer aspect, and if people could actually be expected to play online (I'm looking at you, Guitar Hero!), and if...

...nah, that would suck. Can't even play devil's advocate here.

Edited by starcrunch061

• 2 weeks later...