Spring 2023 Backlog Challenge

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Today is the end of this challenge. Thanks to everyone who participated. And for those skipping summer, hope to see you in the fall! 

It was a good event. I couldn't finish my list but I expected that. Summer will be a freaky season of the 4 Fs: Five. Final. Fantasy. Finishes. ^_^ (Anyone remember that obscure Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer animated movie where an evil frost giant used an amulet with four Fs on it to manipulate everyone so that he could steal Rudolph's nose power? I was a kid then, and that was a good Christmas in July movie. ^_^)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

@StilRh Are you planning on adding Company of Heroes 3 to the summer challenge? Id be interested to hear feedback on it. :)

I probably will add it. My son popped a trophy on my PSN account, so I have to platinum it now for the completion percentage!

I've only had it for a few hours with my son playing a bit as it is the half-term/school holidays for my part of the UK. It's been a nice experience so far. I haven't played PC RTS games since Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, so I may be using old things for comparison (and the few RTSs on Playstation) but here goes:

The gameplay feels like Dawn of War - the map is cut into small territories, capturing that territory will earn you a slow ticking resource (a few different ones and there is a pop cap) that you can spend on buildings, defensive structures, infantry squads and vechicles or for off map abilities like unique unit reinforcement or weapon (like air strike or arty bombardment).

Infantry squads have several models that move as a blob. They will take cover (different map features including play created ones may act as heavy or light cover protecting you from certain angles of attack) and shoot as you would expect. As they take damage you loose infantry models - so a damaged squad is going to have a single guy left and not put out the damage of a full squad. You can retreat and replenish these through certain map nodes, your HQ or things like an ambulance. Infantry can do things like take over points, occupy (and clear) buildings and capture crew weapons (your MG nests, anti tank guns etc). I don't think there is a morale system but you can supress and 'pin' infantry with heavy weapons.

Vechicles are a single unit. Armour is modeled on different sides, allowing you to get backstabs on weaker rear armour etc. Some component damage (eg I've had engines blow after hitting a mine and I'm sure you can command gun crews to target tank tracks). Some vechicles can taxi infantry or tow things like heavy gun emplacements.

All units seem to have unique activated abilities. These may cost resources and be on a cool down. Some units have passives (example of this is the infantry who actively can use smoke grenades and passively has buffs to abilities when they emerge from smoke due to wearing gasmasks).

I've not gotten deep into the game. Couldn't comment on building tree or upgradings things. All units have a veterancy, some abilities may be gated behind a certain experience level. I think there are ways to add flavour to your units (there are 4 different factions) through the use of sub factions/doctrines etc.

From the 4 maps I've seen so far, they are big enough not to be cheesed/rushed but not so huge that you can sit on your larrels (I didn't like the spawling ones in Sudden Strike 4, that was already quite a slow game without the big theatres) and they are tactically interesting enough.

AI seems competent but in the first few levels I found it passive as they sit defending unless you start an objective that triggers an attack wave - I'm sure later levels and the skirmish AI could be different. I have heard there is some passivity in the Italian campaign overworld AI (kinda like Total war is what I've heard it referred to) - but I've not seen it with my own eyes and couldn't comment on that yet.

I'm playing on the shorter campaign that has a weird civilian substory. I really don't care for it (like the vinettes in Battlefield 1, oh noes indigineous people that I have no emotional connection too or no importance to the gameplay are dying!!111!!eleven!!). In the levels there seems to be no story intersection so far.

Gameplay is pretty smooth. No bugs, no performance issues. Sound and graphics are what I would expect. Controls are quite decent, the staple wheel o' selection and contextual commands when you move your cursor over something - feels much better than PS4/5 versions Iron Harvest and Spellforce 3 (which is a shame as I would love to be good at that game). It took me no time at all to feel comfortable with the controls bar multi unit selection which I think I'm starting to understand now. There is a tactical pause option that lets you halt the game and then issue commands (thinking this wont be in multiplayer).

Again, I've found the early campiagn AI passive but the battles I've had so far have been thrilling. In one mission I had to drive my army down a ravine, only for a massive anti tank ambush to pop up. I lay down smoke and retreated my tanks. My infantry, faring better against anti tank guns ran to the emplacements and to grenade them. I then captured the guns and turned them on the ambushers. I brought my tanks back... only for my command tank to roll over some mines and have it's engine get damaged. Again I pull my armour back for repair. This time I take my infantry through a small passage in the cliff to the North. I backstab the remaining AT guns and on seeing the objective (the enemy command tank) I use an off map abilities to clear it (I could afford this as I had kept my units intact and so had not spent resources replenishing them).

I can't say if it will have legs - depends on the mission variety. I think the factions are quite distinct from each other and that is fun to play with.

I hear the Italian campaign can be quite long and gets samey :/

From a trophy standpoint - seems doable but some of the trophies require set up on the Italien campaign. I probably will skim any guides on Steam and then play with those in the back of my mind.

Tl;dr: Good console RTS. Yet to decide if it will hold my interest. Trophies could be ok or they could be a nightmare, lol. Gameplay is good but nothing you've not experienced 100 times before on PC.

• Like 1