Hardcore mode incoming

jonesey46

48 minutes ago, Calypox said:

How did you get through the major part of the game:

- just rushed passed enemies?

- meleed?

- GRP whenver you could or saved your energy?

- And how did you manage to finish off the two-heads, learned their pattern and meleed them or uses the AR as well?

I'm also done with my first hardcore playthrough. It was quite boring because it takes so long to kill enemies and it gets worse the further you come.

There where only 2 small fights, which I was able to skip. The first fight against the 2 infected right before the baton - just run straight to the duct and climb in. The next one later, when 1 invisible enemy burst through a duct. I ran into the room to the right to get a few extra items/credits and then stood at the door to anticipate the enemy. Once safe just run to the duct and skip the fight. 

I don't think you can skip very much more.

Melee was used for the majority of the game. It is profoundly monotonous as enemies take around 20 hits if not more. Fortunately enemies wait their turn when in a multi-fight. So only 1 enemy attacks you at a time - dodge his attacks and retaliate.

I used the attack when there were traps or ways to throw them out of the map (first boss at the ride). I also upgraded the capacity of the GRP once and usually waited till it recharged, as I sold everything besides ammo (even first aid).

The boss fights are the easiest part. For the two-heads I used the hand gun (damage upgraded) and the shotgun. They only do one attack at a time, which gives you time to shoot once or twice and dodge again - if minions are involved you can usually run away and throw them into traps.

Last boss was also done with the AR (I only go with 3 weapons to save on inventory and focus on specific ammo).

So yeah, upgrade the baton for damage and the heavy attack. Upgrade the capacity for GRP and wait for it to recharge (except the ride encounter - have some power cells for that). Only focus on the handgun (upgrade for damage - no special or capacity), shotgun you get from Danny (upgrade for damage - no special or capacity) and AR (same upgrades). Use the rest of the credits for the final fight for AR ammo (240 should be enough with some headroom). Use melee for the majority of the game - even if it is boring as hell. Sell everything except ammo. First aid is rather sold than used, as you get hit rather hard and first aid only heals you for little.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 5:48 AM, Alayaes said:

That's exactly what he said; a mental health disorder.

If you hate this game so much, why on Earth would you voluntarily subject yourself to it? That just sounds unhealthy to me.

I'm a completionist at heart, and I have been since trophies launched in 2008, but I refuse to finish a game to 100% if I flat-out don't like playing it anymore. I know these are just video games so this may come across as hyperbole, but when you feel forced to perform activities against your will then that's a boundary issue you might want to tackle sooner rather than later. These types of personality traits can lead to some very damaging scenarios in your life once it leaks outside of video games.

See that’s the challenge that makes it fun. Not only strive for a 100% completion but doing so while pushing through different emotions. Makes the achievement that much sweeter and worthwhile imo. I hate chores and don’t like doing them but I am satisfied with a clean house and can strut around admiring my work afterwards. I’m sure it’s just innocent griping about added trophies and some additional time it will take but the decision to pursue or not lies with the gamer.

• Like 1

So far I’m finding the Block Break upgrade to be essential. I initially spent the $900 on the stun baton medium damage upgrade. I accidentally deleted my most recent save file and had to replay an hour. Decided to instead get the Block Break with the cash and it makes defeating enemies much faster (especially when paired with heavy swing.)

Light swing/light swing/light swing (which breaks their arm) and then heavy swing knocks them down. As they’re getting up, repeat. Doing more damage doesn’t speed up the fights as much as breaking their arm because they block you every 3 swings. And, when you take their blocking arm off, you’ll be dodging less because the length of their swinging combos is reduced to 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, I-Kami-I said:

I'm also done with my first hardcore playthrough. It was quite boring because it takes so long to kill enemies and it gets worse the further you come.

There where only 2 small fights, which I was able to skip. The first fight against the 2 infected right before the baton - just run straight to the duct and climb in. The next one later, when 1 invisible enemy burst through a duct. I ran into the room to the right to get a few extra items/credits and then stood at the door to anticipate the enemy. Once safe just run to the duct and skip the fight. 

I don't think you can skip very much more.

Melee was used for the majority of the game. It is profoundly monotonous as enemies take around 20 hits if not more. Fortunately enemies wait their turn when in a multi-fight. So only 1 enemy attacks you at a time - dodge his attacks and retaliate.

I used the attack when there were traps or ways to throw them out of the map (first boss at the ride). I also upgraded the capacity of the GRP once and usually waited till it recharged, as I sold everything besides ammo (even first aid).

The boss fights are the easiest part. For the two-heads I used the hand gun (damage upgraded) and the shotgun. They only do one attack at a time, which gives you time to shoot once or twice and dodge again - if minions are involved you can usually run away and throw them into traps.

Last boss was also done with the AR (I only go with 3 weapons to save on inventory and focus on specific ammo).

So yeah, upgrade the baton for damage and the heavy attack. Upgrade the capacity for GRP and wait for it to recharge (except the ride encounter - have some power cells for that). Only focus on the handgun (upgrade for damage - no special or capacity), shotgun you get from Danny (upgrade for damage - no special or capacity) and AR (same upgrades). Use the rest of the credits for the final fight for AR ammo (240 should be enough with some headroom). Use melee for the majority of the game - even if it is boring as hell. Sell everything except ammo. First aid is rather sold than used, as you get hit rather hard and first aid only heals you for little.

Thanks mate!

Just wondering how I am supposed to get enough money for the AR and so on... a regular run gave around 23k I guess. So hc should give about 11k or so.

We will see :)

Edited by Calypox
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Prosser187ATX said:

So far I’m finding the Block Break upgrade to be essential. I initially spent the $900 on the stun baton medium damage upgrade. I accidentally deleted my most recent save file and had to replay an hour. Decided to instead get the Block Break with the cash and it makes defeating enemies much faster (especially when paired with heavy swing.)

Light swing/light swing/light swing (which breaks their arm) and then heavy swing knocks them down. As they’re getting up, repeat. Doing more damage doesn’t speed up the fights as much as breaking their arm because they block you every 3 swings. And, when you take their blocking arm off, you’ll be dodging less because the length of their swinging combos is reduced to 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4. 

Yeah, the block break is really great, as it also makes fights later on much easier to handle. Enemies tend to flail around alot more, especially the officer types. Also be careful with the light/heavy combo in the later parts. Enemies at around 3/4 through the game gain some kind of hyper armor and attack right through your swing.

Man, I hope the upcoming permadeath is more akin to medium difficulty and they add a skip option for cutscenes.

55 minutes ago, Calypox said:

Thanks mate!

Just wondering how I am supposed to get enough money for the AR and so on... a regular run gave around 23k I guess. So hc should give about 11k or so.

We will see :)

As long as you are frugal and sell all none offensive items you should be good. Every now and then it is fine to use some first aid, as sometimes you can get hit.

And take note of those jack-in-a-box heads. Shoot them before they jump out, since they do damage you enough.

Oh, and I remembered another encounter you can skip. At the greenhouse after obtaining the keycard (or whatever), you have to head across to the other door at the forest/platform section again - the one with the patrolling guard bot. Now it is filled with those four-legged monsters, which you can run through. With a bit of luck even unscathed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Calypox said:

How did you get through the major part of the game:

- just rushed passed enemies?

- meleed?

- GRP whenver you could or saved your energy?

- And how did you manage to finish off the two-heads, learned their pattern and meleed them or uses the AR as well?

I killed most enemies, run past very few and reload two specific checkpoints to get rid of chasing enemies, once in chapter 7, when you had to reunite with Dani after falling from walkway and second, in chapter 8, when you have to take ladder down, to get fuse and fight one invisible enemy. There is a moment, when you have to crawl through vent and two enemies spawn, if you're fast, you can enter vent, get through, once you see save icon, reload this one and those two enemies will disappear. 

I mainly use baton to conserve ammo as much as possible. Yes, that means I have to fight mutated enemies. Just hit him twice with light and once with heavy attack. It will be knocked to the ground and before it's able to do anything, just repeat. Remember to dodge and spam light and hard attacks. 

If it's possible, throw enemies out of paths or when you're in the low tunnel, but not crawling, grp enemy to you. 

For some reason, as  soon as enemy is near tunnel, it will die. 

GRP is very good. Saves health and ammo and time. 

For the Two Heads, I used Hand Cannon aiming only at legs, as soon as it kneel, mash light attack baton, then I switched to Riot Gun and again, legs only until it kneel again, light attack bash and done. 

For Hand Cannon I usually had 25-30 bullets, for Riot I had 20-25 ammo. 

You need to beat three out of four Two Heads with ammo. 

The fourth can be killed by dodging to te side when near huge deadly fans, chapter 8. It may require some time, but remember to dodge in the direction away from fan. And don't be afraid to come close to it but not too close. Manuver TH so that he will move toward fan. Dodging him is easy. 

I used AR ONLY on final boss. 

As for my upgrades, after first Hardcore playtrough I maxed Baton damage and bought arm breaking, exactly five upgrades, three from lest side, two from right. 

Cannon and Riot only first three upgrades, did not bother with alt fire. 

GRP I upgraded energy first and second, then recharge first and second and then launch strength first only(reaaally makes the difference). Once I get to HC ng+, I bought third energy upgrade for GRP and then, before the final boss I bought AR and two upgrades(stability is worth nothing and way to expensive), bought ammo(200 bullets) and went on. I had 70 bullets left after the fight. 

Any more questions specific to chapter, feel free to ask. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TsurugiFenrir said:

The fourth can be killed by dodging to te side when near huge deadly fans, chapter 8. It may require some time, but remember to dodge in the direction away from fan. And don't be afraid to come close to it but not too close. Manuver TH so that he will move toward fan. Dodging him is easy. 

Wow, that is actually huge. Was wondering if it works but never felt to try it out. Thanks for that tip!

1 hour ago, I-Kami-I said:

Wow, that is actually huge. Was wondering if it works but never felt to try it out. Thanks for that tip!

One thing though, it will not leave item when killed like that or maybe it was a bug. Please take it into consideration ?

1 hour ago, Calypox said:

Thanks mate.

Nice tips I will try to follow.

No problem. Im happy to answer more questions. Love helping people. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TrophyChief said:

See that’s the challenge that makes it fun. Not only strive for a 100% completion but doing so while pushing through different emotions. Makes the achievement that much sweeter and worthwhile imo. I hate chores and don’t like doing them but I am satisfied with a clean house and can strut around admiring my work afterwards. I’m sure it’s just innocent griping about added trophies and some additional time it will take but the decision to pursue or not lies with the gamer.

To be fair, chores are simply part of being a responsible adult because the absence thereof would generate negative consequences. Tangible ones at that.

Purposely playing a videogame you absolutely loathe is a different category. I love building things, but I'm not about to go voluntarily build something in my garage that I absolutely do not like building unless it's necessary or I receive compensation for it. I respect my own free time much more than that.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TsurugiFenrir said:

I killed most enemies, run past very few and reload two specific checkpoints to get rid of chasing enemies, once in chapter 7, when you had to reunite with Dani after falling from walkway and second, in chapter 8, when you have to take ladder down, to get fuse and fight one invisible enemy. There is a moment, when you have to crawl through vent and two enemies spawn, if you're fast, you can enter vent, get through, once you see save icon, reload this one and those two enemies will disappear. 

I mainly use baton to conserve ammo as much as possible. Yes, that means I have to fight mutated enemies. Just hit him twice with light and once with heavy attack. It will be knocked to the ground and before it's able to do anything, just repeat. Remember to dodge and spam light and hard attacks. 

If it's possible, throw enemies out of paths or when you're in the low tunnel, but not crawling, grp enemy to you. 

For some reason, as  soon as enemy is near tunnel, it will die. 

GRP is very good. Saves health and ammo and time. 

For the Two Heads, I used Hand Cannon aiming only at legs, as soon as it kneel, mash light attack baton, then I switched to Riot Gun and again, legs only until it kneel again, light attack bash and done. 

For Hand Cannon I usually had 25-30 bullets, for Riot I had 20-25 ammo. 

You need to beat three out of four Two Heads with ammo. 

I used AR ONLY on final boss. 

As for my upgrades, after first Hardcore playtrough I maxed Baton damage and bought arm breaking, exactly five upgrades, three from lest side, two from right. 

Cannon and Riot only first three upgrades, did not bother with alt fire. 

GRP I upgraded energy first and second, then recharge first and second and then launch strength first only(reaaally makes the difference). Once I get to HC ng+, I bought third energy upgrade for GRP and then, before the final boss I bought AR and two upgrades(stability is worth nothing and way to expensive), bought ammo(200 bullets) and went on. I had 70 bullets left after the fight. 

Any more questions specific to chapter, feel free to ask. 

That's very informative, thanks bro. Oh and do you know if HC NG+ stack with NG+? And is HC mode available from the start or do yiu have to beat the game once to unlock HC mode? 

13 hours ago, Alayaes said:

To be fair, chores are simply part of being a responsible adult because the absence thereof would generate negative consequences. Tangible ones at that.

Purposely playing a videogame you absolutely loathe is a different category. I love building things, but I'm not about to go voluntarily build something in my garage that I absolutely do not like building unless it's necessary or I receive compensation for it. I respect my own free time much more than that.

Fair, in this case the negative consequence would be to have a game under 100% completion on your profile with trophies still unobtained. For some, the consequence of not achieving 100% can be intangible such as feelings of guilt, shame, frustration, etc. that can impact their emotional and physical well-being. Honestly though, it's just a game in my view but for others it's life and death lol. However, I do respect those who are willing to put in the time and effort to hunt those trophies despite how they feel about the game. But again, the decision is ultimately up to the gamer.

1 hour ago, TrophyChief said:

Fair, in this case the negative consequence would be to have a game under 100% completion on your profile with trophies still unobtained. For some, the consequence of not achieving 100% can be intangible such as feelings of guilt, shame, frustration, etc. that can impact their emotional and physical well-being. Honestly though, it's just a game in my view but for others it's life and death lol. However, I do respect those who are willing to put in the time and effort to hunt those trophies despite how they feel about the game. But again, the decision is ultimately up to the gamer.

I really think you're overthinking this. If doing something as banal as obtaining a trophy using slightly unfair methods is enough to bring out intense feelings of guilt or shame you should probably reassess what really matters in your life- trophies shouldn't be life or death for anybody.

• Like 1

Guys I got a sneak peek at the upcoming trophy list for the permadeath mode:

Beat permadeath mode 

Beat permadeath mode in NG+

Beat permadeath mode on maximum security

Beat permadeath mode on maximum security in NG+

Beat permadeath on Hardcore

Beat permadeath on Hardcore in NG+

Beat permadeath mode without getting hit once

Beat permadeath mode without getting hit once in NG+

Beat permadeath mode in one sitting

Beat permadeath mode in one sitting in NG+

That's only a sneak peek, apparently the DLC has 32 trophies in total. I wonder what they could be? 

• Like 1

Not getting hit once doesn't sound so bad as long as you can still activate Auto-Dodge in the accessability menu. 
The single sitting ones are a clever workaround for people that would otherwise just reload checkpoints whenever things started to get dicey, though I'm surprised the DLC is getting 32 trophies. Might hold off and see if they do a Complete/GOTY edition later down the line.

13 hours ago, LuBulegend92 said:

That's very informative, thanks bro. Oh and do you know if HC NG+ stack with NG+? And is HC mode available from the start or do yiu have to beat the game once to unlock HC mode? 

That I don't know. Probably have to check on another account. HC NG+ is separate from normal NG+.

52 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Beat permadeath mode 

That's only a sneak peek, apparently the DLC has 32 trophies in total. I wonder what they could be? 

Ha…ha…

Wait, is the joke on us?

I kind of got interested in getting this game a while back but now I’m like… :popcorn:

3 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Beat permadeath mode 

Where did you find this leak? Can you post a link? 

Also looking ridiculous, that's like two extra playtroughs. Sounds a bit too much.