Microsoft to have UK investigated next?

Rozalia1

For those who haven't followed the story, the title is a reference to https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/141895-microsoft-declares-war-on-sony/ where Microsoft got a bunch of US congressmen to put forward investigating Sony for selling significantly more consoles and games than them in Japan. Just some fun, don't take it seriously. Though... with Microsoft acting as it has been I suppose it wouldn't be totally impossible.

On the matter of console sales the momentum the PS5 has only continues to squash Xbox's current badly named set of consoles, but that ain't much of a story. What is more of a story is Resident Evil's sale split between the platforms. Anyone who has engaged with Microsoft supporters on these matters will be all too familiar with the argument that Xbox gamers are simply far more uh... sophisticated, and so they buy their games more digitally than physical, and so physical game sales being so lopsided in PlayStation's favour means nothing. Now like with many arguments designed to defend Microsoft everyone knows it's poppycock but with no evidence they can't be completely dismissed. Now granted it is one game yes, so you could claim it is simply an outlier, but that narrative doesn't cut the mustard to me. It cannot be claimed that this is a case of a series that is new to the Xbox platform and so doesn't have the necessary fanbase there, as is claimed whenever a JRPG sells 8 copies on Xbox. Additionally if we go by the assumption that digital sales don't change the % platform splits we know from Physical game sales then previous Resident Evil games have actually done better than RE4R did, but it seems their split keeps dropping. One thing to note that is actually in Microsoft's favour, as little as it matters, is that the game does not actually have a Xbox One version. However, most sales on PlayStation are on the PS5 with the PS4 far behind so there is only just enough reason to release on PS4. With the Xbox platform's known bad sales putting the game on the Xbox One would be a waste of money for the developer so it simply didn't get made nor would it change much at all the platform splits (the cover story anyway, it was actually because Sony paid them because nothing can ever be Microsoft's fault).

The UK for those unaware is and has always been considered Xbox's second strongest market with the 1st being the United States. The numbers looking like this in the UK means that in Europe they're liking getting closer and closer to Japan levels. Only been hearing more and more talk that certain physical stores in Europe are downsizing the Xbox sections to a small part at the back of the store if not outright getting rid of them.

• Like 3

Apparently everyone's a Microsoft hating, Sony loving boogeyman now, huh, Phil? How anyone can see this as anything other than a childish and greedy corporation throwing a toddler tier tantrum for not getting every little thing to go their way to the letter is beyond me.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Apparently everyone's a Microsoft hating, Sony loving boogeyman now, huh, Phil? How anyone can see this as anything other than a childish and greedy corporation throwing a tantrum for not getting everything little thing to go there way to the letter is beyond me.

Microsoft is incapable of failure, someone must have sabotaged them. Considering Microsoft largely tends to win through sabotaging others, perhaps that is how they honestly believe others attain their success. Honestly while he might have planted the idea I think this is all quite beyond Spencer at this point. His boss wants a grand legacy which the "Netflix of gaming" would be as that would be yet another monopoly for Microsoft, and so he is putting everything towards that end. 70 billion (more including the other buy outs) as their gaming division tanks, race baiting, calling in political favours, nothing is off limits. If they can't make it happen then Nadella's legacy gets tarnished and the next boss likely executes the Xbox division like Nadella executed Ballmer's phone division (what makes Microsoft now complaining about Apple/Google more laughable as they didn't have to do that).

While I wouldn't want to roll the dice... Microsoft actually getting Activision and then quickly sending it down the toilet and having the likes of CoD start collapsing would certainly be a fairy-tale and deserved ending. Wouldn't be shocking. Just look at the issue here with the console and game sales. What little marketing Xbox does pretty much promotes people to not buy their console and to just get on Gamepass and not worry about buying games. A lot of self sabotage going on in the name of Gamepass.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Obviously that’s purely anecdotal - and could simply be the confluence of randomness… but Xbox has really never felt to me like it has much of a foothold over here.

I agree. Here in south america I only knew 1 person with an Xbox 360, that changed to PS4 when the newer generation came; they missed those exclusives and went to play Uncharted, TLOU, etc. Also crossplay wasn't allowed for the biggest part of the PS4's life so if you wanted to play with friends, it was the only option. 

Because of the regional prices and availability, I'd say PC is the top market over here, followed by PS4 in 2nd place, but Xbox doesn't seem to have a lot of following outside USA.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Obviously that’s purely anecdotal - and could simply be the confluence of randomness… but Xbox has really never felt to me like it has much of a foothold over here.

While I was in school there was a heavy Xbox 360 majority, although I've just remembered that my school's VLE had occasional questionnaires  and one of them was "What do you want for Xmas? PS3, 360, or Wii?" and the order went ps3, xbox then wii. But this was 11 to 18 year olds and in my experience there was a heavy anti-childhood/I'm so grown up sentiment. I stopped caring about console wars when I was about 14 or so, but I recall more people I knew having a playstation after the PS4 came out except my friend Josh.

Hi Josh... He won't see this since he doesn't have a playstation. 

• Like 4

Microsoft still didn't get Sony investigated, now someone is claiming they want "UK" investigated?

These over-narrativized write ups have the depth of supermarket checkout rags. Luckily, there are a lot of legal processes that pay absolutely no attention to people fighting on Twitter and gaming sites because they have zero impact on decisions that get made. Katherine Tai properly ignored the first request to investigate and she'll do the same as both had no standing.

• Like 2

this twitter post smells of rubbish. "Hogwarts legacy and PS5 saved gaming in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!"  yeah no

9 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

The UK for those unaware is and has always been considered Xbox's second strongest market with the 1st being the United States. The numbers looking like this in the UK means that in Europe they're liking getting closer and closer to Japan levels. Only been hearing more and more talk that certain physical stores in Europe are downsizing the Xbox sections to a small part at the back of the store if not outright getting rid of them.

second? nah. i have a switch, Wii U and PS4, guess what's missing, a xbox. i might pick up a xbox one juts to have every 7th generation (i think that's right). i don't know many people with a xbox like @DrBloodmoney.

In conclusion, big business being big business

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If that is true, then for my part, it would seem like MS must have a serious foothold in the States to have kept thier console business afloat.

I know, or have known, probably 70 or 80 folks in the UK that have some kind of a console for gaming - and of them, maybe 5 or 6 have/had an Xbox. Moreover - of those, I only know 1 who I would consider an “Xbox guy” - who has stuck with Xbox since the beginning, and only has an Xbox…

…the others are folks with either an Xbox and a PlayStation, or own all 3 consoles.

Everyone else has either only a Sony console, only a Nintendo one, or both.

From what I recall Xbox used to have a 70-30 advantage against PlayStation in America during the 360 days which degraded as time went on during that generation. Currently the last reported figures I believe has PlayStation ahead 55-45, which should only grow in time considering PlayStation is outselling Xbox, which means that Xbox has even lost the market they once dominated.

To present my own anecdote. Back during the 360 days I knew a lot of people with Xbox which seemed to be more widespread than the PS3. Some I recall even getting 3-4 Xboxes due to the RROD which didn't seem to dull their liking of Xbox. In the next generation however that just fell apart and those people converted to the PS4. I recall hearing a lot of that negativity around the always online stuff coming up even after Microsoft went back on it, but if I had to comment further I'd say there was more to it all. The second half of the 360 was horrible for exclusives while the PS3 was putting out more than ever, and Xbox owners weren't blind to that. Then with the PS4 you had all those remasters of games like TLOU which those who had been on Xbox missed but heard great things about and could now get on a newer console.

43 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Microsoft still didn't get Sony investigated, now someone is claiming they want "UK" investigated?

These over-narrativized write ups have the depth of supermarket checkout rags. Luckily, there are a lot of legal processes that pay absolutely no attention to people fighting on Twitter and gaming sites because they have zero impact on decisions that get made. Katherine Tai properly ignored the first request to investigate and she'll do the same as both had no standing.

You should read the whole post. It's a title poking fun at Microsoft's previous attempts regarding their failure in the Japan market.

As for what you said regarding the US government. You're not wrong, but will Biden win the next election? What if a different sort of Democrat gets in? See the picture? Microsoft has made it clear that they are now fully willing to weaponize the US government against Sony. They just need a government that will play ball with them which possibly isn't all that far away.

33 minutes ago, serrated-banner9 said:

this twitter post smells of rubbish. "Hogwarts legacy and PS5 saved gaming in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!"  yeah no

second? nah. i have a switch, Wii U and PS4, guess what's missing, a xbox. i might pick up a xbox one juts to have every 7th generation (i think that's right). i don't know many people with a xbox like @DrBloodmoney.

In conclusion, big business being big business

What they're saying is gaming sales should be down this month, but as Hogwarts sells so much it covered the drop. Nothing more than that.

It is the second and has been since the start. Xbox is non-existent in much of the world as they have consistently put little to no effort in growing their market share in non-English speaking areas.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

These are getting really fucking boring tbh. Just keep this shit in one thread.

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Agreed, do we have to start a new topic on this forum every time Microsoft is being a crybaby?

I can understand the sentiment and have in the past posted many things that could be a thread on their own in the Activision deal thread as they related in a direct way to that. This does not. The congressman thread gets a cute reference here also but this is a different matter than Microsoft attempting to use political power to hurt their competitor. This more relates to Xbox's general business and considering what is currently popping off is pretty tame. For whatever reason, perhaps the PR machine being too focused on the Activision deal, Xbox is currently taking some pretty big PR blows (largely Redfall related) to the point even some people many would call Xbox shills aren't even defending them.

• Like 1

Just now, totallycrushed said:

Xbox players are more worried about the emulation support taken out of Retail Mode than some drivel twitter journos write.

Conveniently removed the moment 360 emulation became available yes, fun stuff. I would disagree however. The emulation thing is a sour point that gets defenders as "what did people expect" and all that. The current going on Redfall thing only adds to the fire that Xbox management is incompetent, their first party is bad, and these things blunt momentum. Look at Hi-Fi Rush plus a few other minor titles and how talked about they are which generates positive engagement for Xbox. The current situation is creating negative engagement and many are now preparing the ground for Starfield to also be a mess which will be really bad if so.

That isn't to say you're wrong in that much of what these people raise up don't matter, but it ain't an all or nothing thing. If even Xbox influencers/"journalists" and their base is creating negativity then that is a big deal yes as while a "casual" might not engage with all that talk, they do talk to more hardcore people and also check stuff up now and then which will have all the negativity waiting for them to see.

• Like 1

I dunno dude, making these threads with these titles here, especially the one before that. Whats that if not negativity? Look at the fucking posts.

Just say fuck brand loyalty and play what you want, who gives a fuck about some dumb ass console war thought we moved past that juvie shit after 2010

Edit: And if it's games where's the outcry for Nintendo snagging Bayonetta? Look at any PS game released on steam and look at the Sony fanboys crying because their game now on other platform.
Hypocrite bullshit all the way.

Edited by totallycrushed

35 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

I dunno dude, making these threads with these titles here, especially the one before that. Whats that if not negativity? Look at the fucking posts.

Just say fuck brand loyalty and play what you want, who gives a fuck about some dumb ass console war thought we moved past that juvie shit after 2010

I don't understand. Am I supposed to paint Microsoft attempting to use the US government against Sony positively? Are we supposed to cheer on and support massive corporate buy outs? Am I not supposed to mention the significant story that Xbox's business is falling apart currently? Help me out here.

I'm sure that feels very enlightening for you. Issue is to use your used term in a cute way, you might not be interested in war but war is interested in you. Microsoft has been console warring hard lately, harder than anyone has ever done. Before that who cared whatever Xbox was doing. Now Microsoft is attempting to buy out company after company for massive amounts (their current buyout alone would be worth more than PlayStation itself more than likely), they're attempting to use Gamepass to destroy the current market so they can move everything to subscription services so they can attain a monopoly there with their many innate advantages gained from their previous monopolies, and of course as mentioned already we have them trying to use the US government against their competition which I don't recall happening to this level in the past even during the heated Nintendo vs Sega times.

If you want to "see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil" then that is fine. I'd just ask you don't admonish or attempt to discredit others yeah?

35 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

Edit: And if it's games where's the outcry for Nintendo snagging Bayonetta? Look at any PS game released on steam and look at the Sony fanboys crying because their game now on other platform.
Hypocrite bullshit all the way.

Is there something else you want to tell us? Seem very defensive of Microsoft, almost like that brand loyalty you're ragging on so much. Odd.

As far as I know without Nintendo Bayonetta would have ended at the 1st game. Nintendo are also the greatest videogame company of all time (right from their inception in videogames) and get heavily trusted as a result. Xbox due to bad business for a very long time isn't trusted. It isn't hard to work out why the two would get treated differently.

Edited by Rozalia1

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

Is there something else you want to tell us? Seem very defensive of Microsoft, almost like that brand loyalty you're ragging on so much. Odd.

PS1-4, PSP, 2 PSVitas a PSTV and a PS Classic.
NES, Wii, Switch
Xbox-X1
PC and a Steam Deck.
A Retron5

JUST. FUCKING. PLAY. WHAT. YOU. WANT.

Edited by totallycrushed
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

PS1-4, PSP, 2 PSVitas a PSTV and a PS Classic.
NES, Wii, Switch
Xbox-X1
PC and a Steam Deck.
A Retron5
https://www.exophase.com/user/Totallycrushed/

JUST. FUCKING. PLAY. WHAT. YOU. WANT.

Ignoring everything I said and getting even more worked up. Not sure why you're having that behaviour, aren't I supposed to be the angry one here and not you? Regardless, as your point has long since been made you can stop shouting now.

• Like 1

I'm not an Xbox fan, but I don't hate them. I just think they are a bad game publisher that kills their IP by rushing them out the door. The idea that they feel there is foul play in the UK because no one is buying an Xbox with zero exclusives and by extension stores are shrinking what they carry from Xbox is some kind of conspiracy is absolutely crazy logic.

The system isn't selling because it offers the average consumer no benefits. If you own a PS5, Switch, and PC you can play every game that gets released. Xbox simply has no place due to how they operate, thus, it's only natural it falls behind.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 4

Every corporation engages in shitty business practices, that's just the way it's always been. Sure, we can bash Microsoft all day, but in the end only a strong consumer base will make them successful. They apparently did not learn anything with Windows Phone, and I'm sure all this fearmongering about 'declaring war on Sony' will be a waste of money and resources.

We're seeing what is happening with streaming right now: they are losing customer trust. Customers will look for alternatives. Same with Microsoft: they're trying to achieve a market fit for their products in shitty ways, but they're not going to get any consumers by doing this.

You're obviously trying to make a point with these posts, but there's no discussion to be had about the topic when they're this sensational. All it does is derail the conversation IMO.

1 hour ago, Mellenthin said:

Can't really understand the need to get so worked up over a matter such as this.1f611.png

In fact, that somebody is taking their time providing information regarding Microsoft's moves - or any other company for that matter - that might or might not effect our hobby negatively, is infinitely more entertaining than reading about the most recent trophy somebody earned.

For what's it's worth, Rozalia, I think you're doing a great job and you should definitely keep going. Keep it up!1f642.png

Thank you. As I said, most of this stuff doesn't get their own threads but now and then I feel it is worth one. I understand those who don't want this type of stuff going up but with how much on the offensive Microsoft has been lately I don't see the issue. Hopefully they stop soon so no one has to think about whatever they're doing/plotting.

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I'm not an Xbox fan, but I don't hate them. I just think they are a bad game publisher that kills their IP by rushing them out the door. The idea that they feel there is foul play in the UK because no one is buying an Xbox with zero exclusives and by extension stores are shrinking what they carry from Xbox is some kind of conspiracy is absolutely crazy logic.

The system isn't selling because it offers the average consumer no benefits. If you own a PS5, Switch, and PC you can play every game that gets released. Xbox simply has no place due to how they operate, thus, it's only natural it falls behind.

Ummm, perhaps I should bold the OP to make it clearer though that in my experience editing the OP likely break the twitter posts from showing up and then I'll not be able to get them back in that state (odd stuff). The question mark in the title and the opening bit of my own text basically states that by the frivolous standards of their wanting Japan investigated previously, perhaps the UK is next considering how they're falling apart there. It is making fun of Microsoft's previous nonsense, though as I also did say, with how Microsoft is operating it wouldn't be shocking if they attempted to throw something relating to this in a future US-UK trade deal especially if the CMA ends up rejecting their deal (unlikely at this point). My mistake and I will keep this in mind for the future.

I agree with what you've said regarding their sales.

1 hour ago, Eblait said:

Every corporation engages in shitty business practices, that's just the way it's always been. Sure, we can bash Microsoft all day, but in the end only a strong consumer base will make them successful. They apparently did not learn anything with Windows Phone, and I'm sure all this fearmongering about 'declaring war on Sony' will be a waste of money and resources.

We're seeing what is happening with streaming right now: they are losing customer trust. Customers will look for alternatives. Same with Microsoft: they're trying to achieve a market fit for their products in shitty ways, but they're not going to get any consumers by doing this.

You're obviously trying to make a point with these posts, but there's no discussion to be had about the topic when they're this sensational. All it does is derail the conversation IMO.

Certainly, though I do believe Microsoft has for a good while now had a very easy ride due to their powerful PR machine. I also agree that as things are their "declaration of war" likely does come to nothing, but as noted for DaivRules, all it takes is a different government and they might well get all the government pressure they want.

Streaming as a whole has been having serious issues. Movies are going back to the theatres rather than to the much promoted streaming only future as the companies have now realised that they've been hornswoggled and there is far less money in streaming than directly selling. Microsoft's Gamepass meanwhile has hit a wall and they're in essence giving their games away and it hasn't changed a thing. For someone like myself who believes that subscription/streaming replacement of the current market would heavily harm games and small to medium companies where often so much of the creativity is based, it is certainly all very encouraging.

Perhaps I should make the titles more boilerplate, that is fair. Ironically not wanting to be so direct with a title mentioning Xbox console and game sales tanking hard I may have done a worse title in that respect. The other thread though I would defend in that it was an unprecedented move and certainly not business as usual. Microsoft not that long ago was putting out stuff along the lines of "We're all friends", "We want everyone to succeed in their own way", and of course "Sony and Nintendo aren't even competition to us". From that we're getting them trying to get the US government to put an end to the PlayStation getting Japanese games that the Xbox doesn't get.

• Like 1