This platinum is ridiculously INSANE!

I plan on returning to the game in the next year or so to keep working towards the Platinum and the only trophy I'm really worried about is the online MVP one. I was never good at the online and the few times I went for this, it was a big failure.

17 minutes ago, Creasy007 said:

I plan on returning to the game in the next year or so to keep working towards the Platinum and the only trophy I'm really worried about is the online MVP one. I was never good at the online and the few times I went for this, it was a big failure.

I did the horse racing for that trophy it didn't take long at all. Idk if that method is still viable or not.

7 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

I did the horse racing for that trophy it didn't take long at all. Idk if that method is still viable or not.

I've heard about that too but I despise online racing and feel like a majority of the people still playing it are probably insanely good at the races. I figure I'll try to get it out of the way as one of the first trophies I tackle when I do return to it but won't be surprised if I try and turn to boosting for it. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

This is on my list to platinum towards the end of this year. I think I need to be in the right mindset for the online trophies. It looks like most of them you can 'sorta' do alone while online. But there are a few that might need a bit of boosting. Hopefully by the time I get to this it won't be a dead online component. Overall the online stuff seems quite fun on paper and I love the idea of roles/classes. It's a shame Rockstar are neglecting it a bit to focus on their money printing GTA:O.

4 hours ago, ElektrickRage said:

I have to warn people about this games platinum trophy, I would advise if you haven't started this game and are reading this to NOT begin the platinum for this game if you care for 100% trophy completion. If you don't care you can go ahead and play it for the story and world the first time like I did when it came out. 

I will try to keep this shorter than it needs to be but it might be pretty long because this game pissed me off, it will take a part of your soul with it when you finally platinum it. The only saving grace is if you are reading a guide from the get-go starting the game which will save you some headache and time. You can get the gold medals this way so you don't have to go back to missions and also there is a MISSABLE trophy where you have to do 5 CAMP REQUESTS. I know someone who missed this.

The MP trophies, some of them are annoying. Mainly the level 50 rank which is a grind on top of a grind and also the "all's fair" trophy where you have to kill a rival posse member doing specific missions which no one plays anymore (this was launch day stuff). You will have to boost this one like I did or beg someone in the lobby to help you with it. The other one is win MVP in a game 3 times, You can try boosting it but it can be annoying from my experience but another trick for that is you wait for a game of hostile territories where you attack and defend people's zones e.g. A,B,C. And you just stay in and defend your zone, don't go out of it and you should get MVP.

For grinding to level 50, for the last 15 levels I just went to Van Horn Trading Post, turned auto aim off so you get double xp and just went on a rampage and kill all the NPCs there. No cops show up for a while and there is a lot of enemies there that give you a lot of xp1f44d.png. In the bar sometimes 10 of them spawn, I chucked dynamite ? on them. When cops came I let them kill me because they give you shit all xp and rinse and repeat.

So now I write about the worst part of this, the singleplayer grind and oooh boy is it a big one 1f613.png. You have to get 70 gold medals which I did 1st after doing to MP stuff. If you are still insane enough to want to platinum this though I would advise you go for the gold medals at the same time you are doing the 100% game completion so you even them out. I did them all first before doing anything else and it started getting ridiculous. A lot of them have 10 minute horse rides where you have to tapping X all the time and listen to them talk and talk and sniff their own farts on and on. And if you fail you have to restart those levels from the beginning. There is up to 2-5 or 6 requirements you must fulfill and I mean ALL of them for the whole run of the mission. And a lot of them have speedruns with ridiculously tight times, like hardly any room for error which is kinda hilarious because it just goes against the level design and it's stupid they want you to rush through their game.

The next big hurdle which is the biggest one is getting 100% completion and studying and skinning every animal required. You don't need Guarm animals and really small animals that you just pick up like small birds and frogs you don't need to skin. The only side quests that are bad are the hunting quest and exotics quest. The hunting quest you have to find and kill small animals with a 3 star pelt, this has 5 parts and has really bad rng, like for me I had frustrating trouble with a 3 star Opossum and Skunk. They will waste your time. The ending of the quest was kinda funny and rewarding finally getting the squirrel 1f43f.png statue. Then I started the exotics quest where I thought it would be short but nope it has 5 parts and you got to collect 200 items all up with rng, orchids and bird plumes to finally be done with that quest for a shitty pistol.

All these side quests I guarantee you will need video guides for all of them which makes it even more annoying. Another big side obstacle is you will need to complete 10 sets of challenges with 10 challenges each. Some of the ones to be wary of is gambler 8 and 9 where you have win 3 blackjack hands while having 5 cards which can take 2 hours like it luckily did for me or it can take 8 hours from what I have heard of it. For 9 it's winning 3 dominoes games in a row which I didn't know how to play so this one took me like 5 hours. Then there is herbalist 9 which requires you to pick up ALL plants disregarding all the ones you already picked up and NOT giving you a checklist for it. What were they thinking with that one sadistic bastards. I had to write a list and line them off after I did them. You will need another annoying guide for this if you want to save yourself some headache and time. Then there is the last horseman challenge which has some of the stupidest rng in the game. You must study 10 horses, again disregarding the previous ones you have done. This was the last thing I needed for 100% and I was over this game way before this point.

For all this you are "tapping X" like a madman trying to get your horse to run so a TURBO controller would be helpful for this game. And you are setting up camp and travelling like crazy for the 100% and animals. 

Studying and skinning the animals was not so bad for me because as soon as I finished the gold medals I studied and skinned every animal that I could which meant I only had like 30 left to do by the end of it. I think why it's more notorious is because people didn't do that as much going for 100% and also because the rng for animals the first few months of launch was bad. The fishing at the start gave me trouble until I learnt to do it again, you have to just very lightly rotate the rod and they will bite very fast.

All up it said I played this game for 270 hours and the platinum when I went for it took me about a month playing it at least 6 hours a day which is why it was crazy. So yes be warned if you are thinking of starting this.

It's your typical R* game and platinum.  I 100%ed RDR way back in the day and last year I platinumed GTA V.  Both took well over 300 hours.  There is nothing at all "casual" about going for a R* platinum.  They all tend to be an extremely long grind and have some challenges to them. 

I am not saying it was a bad game for clarification (that belongs to GTA trilogy "remastered"). I was saying the platinum was bad. And yes I will warn people of the repetitive grind that I experienced.

And why I did it, I have a sort of masochistic nature going for platinums as I'm sure many do but I have a right to criticise what I want, you lynch mob can't stop me. And also I have this game on disc, I wanted to sell it. And the person who said "why you waste time writing"? I am a fast Typer so don't worry about me kk.

Edited by ElektrickRage

23 hours ago, ElektrickRage said:

I have to warn people about this games platinum trophy, I would advise if you haven't started this game and are reading this to NOT begin the platinum for this game if you care for 100% trophy completion. If you don't care you can go ahead and play it for the story and world the first time like I did when it came out. 

I will try to keep this shorter than it needs to be but it might be pretty long because this game pissed me off, it will take a part of your soul with it when you finally platinum it. The only saving grace is if you are reading a guide from the get-go starting the game which will save you some headache and time. You can get the gold medals this way so you don't have to go back to missions and also there is a MISSABLE trophy where you have to do 5 CAMP REQUESTS. I know someone who missed this.

The MP trophies, some of them are annoying. Mainly the level 50 rank which is a grind on top of a grind and also the "all's fair" trophy where you have to kill a rival posse member doing specific missions which no one plays anymore (this was launch day stuff). You will have to boost this one like I did or beg someone in the lobby to help you with it. The other one is win MVP in a game 3 times, You can try boosting it but it can be annoying from my experience but another trick for that is you wait for a game of hostile territories where you attack and defend people's zones e.g. A,B,C. And you just stay in and defend your zone, don't go out of it and you should get MVP.

For grinding to level 50, for the last 15 levels I just went to Van Horn Trading Post, turned auto aim off so you get double xp and just went on a rampage and kill all the NPCs there. No cops show up for a while and there is a lot of enemies there that give you a lot of xp1f44d.png. In the bar sometimes 10 of them spawn, I chucked dynamite ? on them. When cops came I let them kill me because they give you shit all xp and rinse and repeat.

So now I write about the worst part of this, the singleplayer grind and oooh boy is it a big one 1f613.png. You have to get 70 gold medals which I did 1st after doing to MP stuff. If you are still insane enough to want to platinum this though I would advise you go for the gold medals at the same time you are doing the 100% game completion so you even them out. I did them all first before doing anything else and it started getting ridiculous. A lot of them have 10 minute horse rides where you have to tapping X all the time and listen to them talk and talk and sniff their own farts on and on. And if you fail you have to restart those levels from the beginning. There is up to 2-5 or 6 requirements you must fulfill and I mean ALL of them for the whole run of the mission. And a lot of them have speedruns with ridiculously tight times, like hardly any room for error which is kinda hilarious because it just goes against the level design and it's stupid they want you to rush through their game.

The next big hurdle which is the biggest one is getting 100% completion and studying and skinning every animal required. You don't need Guarm animals and really small animals that you just pick up like small birds and frogs you don't need to skin. The only side quests that are bad are the hunting quest and exotics quest. The hunting quest you have to find and kill small animals with a 3 star pelt, this has 5 parts and has really bad rng, like for me I had frustrating trouble with a 3 star Opossum and Skunk. They will waste your time. The ending of the quest was kinda funny and rewarding finally getting the squirrel 1f43f.png statue. Then I started the exotics quest where I thought it would be short but nope it has 5 parts and you got to collect 200 items all up with rng, orchids and bird plumes to finally be done with that quest for a shitty pistol.

All these side quests I guarantee you will need video guides for all of them which makes it even more annoying. Another big side obstacle is you will need to complete 10 sets of challenges with 10 challenges each. Some of the ones to be wary of is gambler 8 and 9 where you have win 3 blackjack hands while having 5 cards which can take 2 hours like it luckily did for me or it can take 8 hours from what I have heard of it. For 9 it's winning 3 dominoes games in a row which I didn't know how to play so this one took me like 5 hours. Then there is herbalist 9 which requires you to pick up ALL plants disregarding all the ones you already picked up and NOT giving you a checklist for it. What were they thinking with that one sadistic bastards. I had to write a list and line them off after I did them. You will need another annoying guide for this if you want to save yourself some headache and time. Then there is the last horseman challenge which has some of the stupidest rng in the game. You must study 10 horses, again disregarding the previous ones you have done. This was the last thing I needed for 100% and I was over this game way before this point.

For all this you are "tapping X" like a madman trying to get your horse to run so a TURBO controller would be helpful for this game. And you are setting up camp and travelling like crazy for the 100% and animals. 

Studying and skinning the animals was not so bad for me because as soon as I finished the gold medals I studied and skinned every animal that I could which meant I only had like 30 left to do by the end of it. I think why it's more notorious is because people didn't do that as much going for 100% and also because the rng for animals the first few months of launch was bad. The fishing at the start gave me trouble until I learnt to do it again, you have to just very lightly rotate the rod and they will bite very fast.

All up it said I played this game for 270 hours and the platinum when I went for it took me about a month playing it at least 6 hours a day which is why it was crazy. So yes be warned if you are thinking of starting this.

Welcome to the trophy hunting world.

Platinum is not that bad, it just grinding some trophies and that's not something new for a lot of games. Sadly, the gaming world is getting full of lazy people that only want to plat 1h length games so they can say they have 100000000 platinums and that they are cool with no effort.

Edited by Carttagos
  • Like 2

I'm surprised so many people are complaining about the online trophies. To rank up you just need to do stuff. Go and catch bounties, or do the Collector stuff, or do races, and you go up. The trophies that need other people will take an hour at most. It might take a while but you just need to do the same thing over and over again. 

It's not like the hunting requests where you need to find a certain animal, then find a 3* version of it, then kill it in such a way that it stays 3*. Assuming you can find the animal at all. Or getting gold medals in missions, where you can't track the targets as you're playing, you can't restart even if you know you've missed one, or you miss just one of them and need to do the whole thing again. They're all much worse.

• Like 2

The single biggest contributor to breaking down in terms of taking on big projects - in my opinion - is whenever you're attempting something very time-consuming and simultanously, perhaps not too surpringsly, suffer from a lack of time.

You could have an already large host of psychological issues that you're dealing with on a daily basis, and when you force yourself on something that is engineered to suck the life out of you simply for the sake of profits, that and on top of managing work and sleep deprivation, no wonder it's a recipe for disaster.

The key is knowing what you're getting yourself into. Until you realize that, there will be no respite, no relief and nobody but you will find a way out of it.

Unfortunately, it's become more and more common for developers to prey upon addictive personalties. Whilst nothing new in that regard really, it's nonetheless somewhat refreshing that it's slowly getting the attention it deserves.

Edited by Mellenthin
  • Like 1

I was already playing FF14 (an mmo) for years before this game came out. Was the platinum for this game grindy? Absolutely. But compared to an mmo it's nothing. Plus it helped that RDR2 was a fantastic game. The most annoying trophy is probably zoologist cause there's a bit of RNG involved but even then it's not so bad. I'm pretty sure the gold medal trophy is also a lot easier now because back then if you did the missions via replay you're stuck with shitty weapons and barely any items. Multiplayer trophies are to be expected from any open world Rockstar game. Be thankful this game wasn't plagued with DLC trophy lists like GTA V.

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SwiftGuyver said:

No offence to the OP but did anyone really need this warning post? There is an in depth guide on this very site which breaks down the difficulty and estimated time of this platinum and covers every trophy and what each one entails, surely people can use that to decide if it's a challenge they wish to take on or not?

My personal advice would be to slow down and enjoy this game at the pace it was intended, at a leisurely stroll, stopping every so often to take in the sights, sounds and smells of this richly detailed and wonderfully realized world. I played through the main story, took a break for a few months with other games, returned to take on the multiplayer then took another break etc. All in all I spread the platinum journey out over 2 years 3 months and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I can understand you feeling burnt out though if you tried to speed through it and obtain the platinum as soon as possible, cramming it all into a month or two. I don't think that's how this game is meant to be played and certainly not what Rockstar had in mind when they put this trophy list together. 

This was my first thought after reading the beginning of that unnecessary post.

1 hour ago, Jacob Faulk-King said:

Agree with this. I also did the collector role. It took me 2 days once I started doing it. It was just riding around the map and collecting random stuff with an online map. Wasn't that bad.

Yeah, well I was getting 4 levels an hour. The collector role was stupid because you have to constantly be looking at a map and because I don't have a smartphone like every sheep, it takes 4ever to load the map. So yes it is bad, when you're looking up guides the whole game! Game has outdated controls e.g. messing around with L1 and always putting gun on horse and also this game is nothing special like yous are trying so hard to defend, wah wah. The game uses the same errand boy formula like every other rockstar game. So Sue me.

1 hour ago, SwiftGuyver said:

No offence to the OP but did anyone really need this warning post? There is an in depth guide on this very site which breaks down the difficulty and estimated time of this platinum and covers every trophy and what each one entails, surely people can use that to decide if it's a challenge they wish to take on or not?

My personal advice would be to slow down and enjoy this game at the pace it was intended, at a leisurely stroll, stopping every so often to take in the sights, sounds and smells of this richly detailed and wonderfully realized world. I played through the main story, took a break for a few months with other games, returned to take on the multiplayer then took another break etc. All in all I spread the platinum journey out over 2 years 3 months and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I can understand you feeling burnt out though if you tried to speed through it and obtain the platinum as soon as possible, cramming it all into a month or two. I don't think that's how this game is meant to be played and certainly not what Rockstar had in mind when they put this trophy list together. 

Yes, I don't care what people think, I can criticise what I want without getting jumped down my throat. Is getting pointless trophies that don't mean anything necessary. Is anything we do in life necessary? Who are you to JUDGE what is necessary and not?