Xbox CEO just gives up

Rozalia1

One of the most fascinating interviews I've ever watched. Respect to Phil for having the balls to show up for that. I don't think Phil is giving up at all but I do think he is slightly misguided. 

I believe Phil's point is the way for Xbox to "win" is to making gaming more accessible to more people (Cloud, GamePass, SmartDelivery, Mobile) versus just trying to sell more Xbox consoles vs PS5 consoles. In the long run he may be right from a P&L perspective. I would argue that great games DO matter, and if Xbox had more consistent AAA exclusives, it would accelerate the subscription based future Xbox so desperately wants. The way we are able to access games (console, PC, cloud, mobile) does not matter as much as the games itself. 

Man, console wars are just plain stupid and sound so childish. I know that there should be competition in markets but it's still ridiculous. I basically owned all three major console brands (I don't own any Nintendo console a anymore tho).

BTW is Nintendo still a thing? I mea,n they keep milking the same brands over and over, do they have any exclusive worthy of notice that is not Mario or Zelda?

On 5/4/2023 at 1:27 PM, yowzagabowza said:

I really do hope Xbox ends up being like, a service or something and just gets the fuck out of any other aspect of video games. 

They have done absolutely nothing positive for the hobby in the entire time they've been around.

Hmm, really bro? Their achievement system forced Sony to implement trophies that we all enjoy so much. PS Plus collection on PS5 was likely there because of Gamepass. We need good competition between PS and Xbox, or else Sony will pull off the likes of 600$ PS3 next time around.  

On 5/4/2023 at 1:27 PM, yowzagabowza said:

Edited by dimonemt

30 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Pokemon, Pikmin, Kirby, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Warioware, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Yoshi games, Punch Out, Star Fox, Luigi’s Mansion… 

(some are Mario offshoots, sure, but distinct franchises, with distinct gameplay tropes)

I used to play many of those but in the end they appeal only the youngest population of players. Pokemon is still solid but seems hard for me to return on many of those titles. They are all old brands, nothing new which confirms they are milking the same titles.

Edited by DeathNyx

1 hour ago, yowzagabowza said:

Hellblade 2 is the only game that I'm disappointed PlayStation won't be getting. 

There is almost no chance that the original would have been made, let alone found success, if it was an Xbox exclusive.

Certainly wouldn't be made if the first was exclusive no, and I'm doubtful on the success of this second one whenever it comes.

Going beyond the clearly poor output their studios have they have two other problems, of their own making as usual. The first is the fact that Gamepass has made it so the only metric of success (unless the game has microtransactions) for their games is expansion of subscriptions as they've eradicated a huge majority of their games sale potential. Judging what has pushed subscriptions up can be difficult to begin with but regardless of that their numbers have apparently stalled and considering we're starting to near 2 years since they reported numbers they have been stalled for some time. As such even if Starfield is a good game, if it doesn't have an obvious effect on subscriptions then the game is a failure going by their sole metric for it.

So what can they make to push those subscriptions up? They don't seem to know (hence the diversity push) but that brings us to their second issue. Microsoft unlike Sony & Nintendo do lots and lots of astroturfing be it through their literal Xbots, to low level shills, to their shills on social media/publications. Microsoft does this astroturfing because they don't want the engagement/enthusiasm gap between their brand and the competition's to be massively obvious, and as a bonus they can console war in their astroturfing also in an effort to hurt Sony (which hasn't worked thankfully). As such in the past Microsoft has been told that they're great and any failure is quickly as they say gets "memory holed". This has proved useful in the past for their PR efforts (that seem to have finally fallen apart) but the problem is that it makes it impossible for them to take in feedback from their fans as much of it is straight up fake while what real feedback there might be is usually as soft as possible as Xbox fans simply do not hold Xbox to account for their decade+ of failure. @SelectiveGamer's video from Delayed Input touches on this a bit where it mentions that Spencer seems to be a boss that "reads the comments", because funnily enough Xbox's detractors, fair or otherwise, are more trustworthy than Xbox's own fans so going by what they say Spencer has lost any hope of competing.

16 minutes ago, DeathNyx said:

Man, console wars are just plain stupid and sound so childish. I know that there should be competition in markets but it's still ridiculous. I basically owned all three major console brands (I don't own any Nintendo console a anymore tho).

BTW is Nintendo still a thing? I mea,n they keep milking the same brands over and over, do they have any exclusive worthy of notice that is not Mario or Zelda?

I used to play many of those but in the end they appeal only the youngest population of players. Pokemon is still solid but seems hard for me to return on many of those titles. They are all old brands, nothing new which confirms they are milking the same titles.

Tell that to Microsoft. As for competition, again tell Microsoft, rather then compete in the market they are trying to wield their virtually infinite funds to destroy the current market and move things to one (subscription/cloud) where they have all the advantages.

As for Nintendo... you are hilarious off in everything you're saying on them. To begin with Nintendo is the premier video game company today even if Sony gets all the attention. The reality is that Nintendo with far less support from major third parties, and with almost 10 billion less revenue, actually makes more money than PlayStation does. While Sony is in the process of making their most premium big name series evergreen products (usually at full price, any rare discount it might get is small), Nintendo already has all of theirs at that level.

Meanwhile the matter of "Nintendo appeals to children" thing is not only massively off in what it implies but is not even a negative anyway. Nintendo has a lot of older players who grew up with their great games and continue to invest in Nintendo's platform. Meanwhile with children they're making new gamers at a higher rate than any of the competition who when they grow up will likely go on to continue to invest in the Nintendo platform like those before them. Much of it is done by using their old series yes, which is no problem at all because that only shows how great their series are if they can continuously go on this long, but they've also made newer stuff like Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Animal Crossing which have been massive successes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dimonemt said:

Hmm, really bro? Their achievement system forced Sony to implement trophies that we all enjoy so much. PS Plus collection on PS5 was likely there because of Gamepass. We need good competition between PS and Xbox, or else Sony will pull off the likes of 600$ PS3 next time around.  

Yes, really bro.

Who cares about the Plus Collection when it was all old games? I didn't download a single one once I finally got a PS5. And I don't want to hear it was for people new to PlayStation. We heard that throughout the PS4 gen, too.

Steam had Achievements before Xbox, I'm sure PlayStation would have gotten them sooner or later. 

Microsoft is definitely responsible for Plus being necessary for online games, though. PC doesn't do it and Nintendo only recently started. 

I agree Sony needs a competitor, but not one who races to the bottom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

As for Nintendo... you are hilarious off in everything you're saying on them. To begin with Nintendo is the premier video game company today even if Sony gets all the attention. The reality is that Nintendo with far less support from major third parties, and with almost 10 billion less revenue, actually makes more money than PlayStation does. While Sony is in the process of making their most premium big name series evergreen products (usually at full price, any rare discount it might get is small), Nintendo already has all of theirs at that level.

Meanwhile the matter of "Nintendo appeals to children" thing is not only massively off in what it implies but is not even a negative anyway. Nintendo has a lot of older players who grew up with their great games and continue to invest in Nintendo's platform. Meanwhile with children they're making new gamers at a higher rate than any of the competition who when they grow up will likely go on to continue to invest in the Nintendo platform like those before them. Much of it is done by using their old series yes, which is no problem at all because that only shows how great their series are if they can continuously go on this long, but they've also made newer stuff like Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Animal Crossing which have been massive successes.

It doesnt seems so on top compared to Sony or Microsoft nowadays like was in the past, perhaps due to lack of innovations in titles? 

https://companiesmarketcap.com/video-games/most-profitable-video-game-companies/

As a player who grew up with Nintendo i tell you there is nothing that makes me want to return on its franchises. Also i doubt there are many older players who still play its games. Nintendo main target are younger ppl.

Good for them if they want to keep milking their successful franchise but in the end they lack innovation which should be a thing for a company.

Edited by DeathNyx

40 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

Microsoft is definitely responsible for Plus being necessary for online games, though.

I agree, Sony definitely took and implemented the worst from Microsoft. I was hoping for PS3 backwards compatibility.

43 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

I agree Sony needs a competitor, but not one who races to the bottom. 

I don't know about that. It seems to me that Sony pulled every dirty money trick this generation under Jim Ryan: Immediately jumping on 70$ games bandwagon, charging 10$ for PS5 upgrades, raising prices for PS5 in every market they can get away with it and so on. There will be no other competitor to PlayStation other then Xbox in the foreseeable future. Personally i would take Phil Spencer over current PS c.e.o. Can't wait for Jim Ryan to be gone.

2 minutes ago, dimonemt said:

I agree, Sony definitely took and implemented the worst from Microsoft. I was hoping for PS3 backwards compatibility.

I don't know about that. It seems to me that Sony pulled every dirty money trick this generation under Jim Ryan: Immediately jumping on 70$ games bandwagon, charging 10$ for PS5 upgrades, raising prices for PS5 in every market they can get away with it and so on. There will be no other competitor to PlayStation other then Xbox in the foreseeable future. Personally i would take Phil Spencer over current PS c.e.o. Can't wait for Jim Ryan to be gone.

Believe me when I say I can't stand most of what Sony does and doesn't do. Things as simple as folders go undelivered for YEARS and demos are somehow locked behind the most expensive paywall on the system. And don't get me started on the PS5 saves not being compatible with a USB (forcing you to use Plus cloud based system for backups).

Sony makes games that are fantastic and I manage to navigate the minefield of bullshit and enjoy them. Sony can use a couple dozen classes on being customer friendly.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DeathNyx said:

It doesnt seems so on top compared to Sony or Microsoft nowadays like was in the past, perhaps due to lack of innovations in titles? 

https://companiesmarketcap.com/video-games/most-profitable-video-game-companies/

I grew up with Nintendo as well but i doubt there are many older players who still play its games. Nintendo main target are younger ppl.

Good for them if they want to keep milking their successful franchise but in the end they lack innovation which should be a thing for a company.

You need to think about things rather then just taking a page like that at face value. Those figures are obviously taking the entire company's business into account hence Microsoft, who in gaming is very likely taking such heavy losses continuously that small indy studios are more profitable, would be way down. From what I recall when it comes to gaming profits Nintendo is just about at the top (might slip to second at times) closely followed by Tencent (they've bought out a lot of companies) and then comes Sony.

You don't know, you doubt. Problem right there. Nintendo is for the whole family and all ages. That is the holy grail of business.

Accusing Nintendo of lacking innovation is... come on now. No offense, and you've not hidden it or anything, but comments like that show ignorance. Nintendo is certainly conservative in many respects, but they are also very innovative.

28 minutes ago, dimonemt said:

Well, you could say that Microsoft is no competition at all hence why they can do those things. One of the commentators of this Spencer interview actually touched on that. Stated that while Xbox is currently stating publicly that they're losers who can't do anything right, Sony can do whatever they want whenever they want. You'd like to see Spiderman 2 gameplay by this point? Tough, they'll show it whenever they care to do so. You want showcases more often? Nah, you don't need that.

I would however disagree with this notion that it would be better to have Phil Spencer over Jim Ryan. No. That is delusional talk sorry. Phil Spencer is an incompetent with zero successes to his name in the near decade he has ran Xbox (well, 1 if you count convincing Nadella to pour money down the money pit that is Xbox like never before), and going by the interview in the OP he himself knows it. Jim Ryan meanwhile has been crushing the so called competition, has expanded the fanbase, has PlayStation getting record sales quarters and profits, and all this while under attack by the Microsoft astroturfing machine. Meanwhile at Xbox they have to hide their costs because if they didn't they'd have to report they're likely losing several billions every year. Now granted, you can argue that Xbox's failures aren't solely down to Spencer nor are PlayStation's successes solely down to Ryan, of course. Ryan having people below him who know what they're doing while Spencer keeps people even more incompetent than he is, is an important part of management itself.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

You need to think about things rather then just taking a page like that at face value. Those figures are obviously taking the entire company's business into account hence Microsoft, who in gaming is very likely taking such heavy losses continuously that small indy studios are more profitable, would be way down. From what I recall when it comes to gaming profits Nintendo is just about at the top (might slip to second at times) closely followed by Tencent (they've bought out a lot of companies) and then comes Sony.

You don't know, you doubt. Problem right there. Nintendo is for the whole family and all ages. That is the holy grail of business.

Accusing Nintendo of lacking innovation is... come on now. No offense, and you've not hidden it or anything, but comments like that show ignorance. Nintendo is certainly conservative in many respects, but they are also very innovative.

You also need to post sources not only think and post whatever you want like youre doing and acting as a fanboy.

Might be intended for all ages but fact is they appeal only younger players. Unless you can prove it with stats.

Yes they lack innovation in new titles that are not Mario, Pokemon or Zelda or are you telling me they have new franchises worthy of notice? But it doesnt matter, think whatever you want, in the end everyone stick with own ideas.

23 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Phil Spencer is an incompetent with zero successes to his name in the near decade he has ran Xbox

Players in his camp enjoy games like Fallout 3 and Fallout Vegas(both borderline unplayable on ps3) at 4K 60fps. Game like Prey(1080p 30fps on ps5) at 1440p 60fps and so on. This is big achievement. And my beef with Jim Ryan is not about him being bad businessman, he indeed did a lot for the company and PlayStation brand, but with his business practices and policies, and the fact that under his leadership PlayStation veterans with large library's of ps3 games were simply abandoned. Who wants to play some old games, right?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ashande said:

How old does something have to be before you deem it “old” and thus not worthy of consideration? Is Splatoon too old to count? Super Mario MakerGame Builder GarageXenoblade Chronicles?

Well, you can doubt all you like, but myself, my wife, and almost all of our friends, all in the age range of 35-45, own a Switch. Most of us owned a Wii (and most skipped Wii U, and are happy that most of the good games on that hardware got ported to Switch.) Most of us owned a GameCube. Half of us owned N64, little over half owned an SNES, and literally everyone had a GameBoy of one flavor or another and an NES.

I mean the whole franchises are old not single titles...

I think a franchise from the early 90 can be deemed as old i dont know about you.

Well, there is no guarantee that what you're saying is actually true and not driven by the current argument but ok, you dont represent the majority of players just an old time fan.

Edited by DeathNyx

1 hour ago, Ashande said:

You mean you can play 5-15 year old games, that are owned by Microsoft

Not all improved games are from Microsoft first party studios: Red Dead Redemption, Assassins Creed etc.

As for the current situation: i think Xbox will be just fine. Yes, Redfall is a disaster, but they had Hi-Fi Rush, which was great fun. While they certainly can't match Sony's first party line up, Xbox  has a bunch of great AA and indie titles in it's portfolio.

2 hours ago, Ashande said:

you can thank Kaz and Andrew House for for “abandoning” PS3 gamers - he just has to deal with the current fallout. If it were a simple, easy fix, I’m sure Sony would have done it already, and if they hadn’t, the modding community would have.

I'm aware of all of this, it's Ryan's attitude towards PS3 that pisses me off. Remember how he was forced to apologize for his comments about old games? We are not getting backwards compatibility from that guy regardless of how easy or hard it is to pull off. PS3 did not even get an update that allows it to recognize and show PS5 trophies. That's on him.

1 hour ago, DeathNyx said:

You also need to post sources not only think and post whatever you want like youre doing and acting as a fanboy.

Might be intended for all ages but fact is they appeal only younger players. Unless you can prove it with stats.

Yes they lack innovation in new titles that are not Mario, Pokemon or Zelda or are you telling me they have new franchises worthy of notice? But it doesnt matter, think whatever you want, in the end everyone stick with own ideas.

You want me to post evidence of Nintendo's earnings compared to others? How tiresome. This is like asking someone to prove that the sky is blue during the daytime, just a completely pointless thing to be asking. On the slim chance that the question is legitimate I will humour you the one time.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/NTDOY/nintendo/operating-income

You can see Nintendo's numbers in the link above including stuff like their long term debt which rare for companies stands at a whopping 0. Sony, Tencent, Microsoft, and so forth are on the site also but it lists all their other ventures also. Here is Activision, the biggest third party publisher outside Tencent:

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/ATVI/activision-blizzard/operating-income

Pretty good but not as good as Nintendo's.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/91280/playstation-delivers-record-26-9-billion-revenue-operating-profit-drops-40/index.html

Sony by comparison had their operating income fall in 2022 due to heavy investments (they're paying off buying Bungie, expanding studios, so forth), but if that hadn't occurred it they'd actually have been above Nintendo that year. Interesting. Gross profit usually gets reported and the recent few years have been very good for PlayStation so perhaps PlayStation is indeed ahead of Nintendo at this point, though not in 2022 for the mentioned reasons.

As for Microsoft... can't do it. Xbox has long since reporting such numbers with the only one they hand out being revenue which is a useless metric. They don't report profits, they don't report console sales (those numbers you've seen for Xbox One? Estimated and should likely be lower), heck they haven't even reported subscription numbers in close to 2 years now. They do report MAU (Monthly Active Users) which they boast is above PlayStation's, but the recent Activision deal forced them to reveal that they cooked the books on it and if you take away all the extra added stuff the Xbox has either around half or a bit under half the MAU of PlayStation. So sure, no evidence that Xbox is losing massive amounts of money, but considering the crowing Xbox does if the numbers ever get on their side (as rare as it is) on whatever issue, obviously they're hiding the numbers on these things as they aren't good. You are free to put your head in the sand and pretend that ain't the case of course.

---

As for Nintendo demographics: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/211105e.pdf Page 8.

You have zero idea what you're talking about. Nintendo are famed heavily for their innovation in their individual titles and hardware. PlayStation likewise has built up credibility in that realm though not as much. Microsoft meanwhile who overwhelmingly has the most money and no constraints is as Steve Jobs said, tasteless, and don't innovate. No, copying and expanding PlayStation Now (or other subscriptions out before them) is not innovation.

2 hours ago, dimonemt said:

Players in his camp enjoy games like Fallout 3 and Fallout Vegas(both borderline unplayable on ps3) at 4K 60fps. Game like Prey(1080p 30fps on ps5) at 1440p 60fps and so on. This is big achievement. And my beef with Jim Ryan is not about him being bad businessman, he indeed did a lot for the company and PlayStation brand, but with his business practices and policies, and the fact that under his leadership PlayStation veterans with large library's of ps3 games were simply abandoned. Who wants to play some old games, right?

You are aware that PlayStation unlike Xbox is not a money pit right? They have to actually care about making money and not doing stuff that might be nice but actually lose you money. Xbox, especially ever since it got placed under Spencer is allowed to lose speculated (as they refuse to give out numbers) massive amounts of money. You also have any idea why Xbox went back and did that? Goodness of their hearts? Money? Nope. They did it because Microsoft runs a lot of PR and what you described is something for their astroturfing apparatus to use against PlayStation and especially Jim Ryan who they've identified as a vector for attack. You being here saying such a thing means that is +1 success for their effort. Do you even realise what you're doing here? What your words imply is the idea that Microsoft/Xbox cares more about games than Sony/PlayStation because Jim Ryan did a gaff on one of his rare interviews because he ain't a fully trained PR man like Spencer is. Famously tasteless/soulless Microsoft? Come on now, but again, chalk up another win for Microsoft's literal playbook. http://techrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/comes-3096.pdf

As for the PS3 versions of those games, I know, and I basically swore off those Elder Scroll, Fallout, and so forth games ever since. PlayStation for their part just so you know from what I recall actually sent in people to Bethesda at the time to help fix the PS3 version, so no, PlayStation certainly did care.

As for PS3 games being abandoned. I'm again surprised I'm having to explain this, but the Cell processor gave the PS3 a different architecture which is very difficult to emulate even today as @Ashande noted. I've heard it said that if the Cell processor took off we might have been better off as obviously that type of processor would have had more money invested and its sizable capabilities increased, but the market chose the type we have today. Just how it goes sometimes. Speaking of... in the future you might have to prepare to lose all that backwards capability again. There is another type of architecture which is both more powerful and uses less power and with the likes of the EU pushing hard for power reduction on devices it may well happen that companies will have to make the switch.

1 hour ago, DeathNyx said:

I mean the whole franchises are old not single titles...

I think a franchise from the early 90 can be deemed as old i dont know about you.

Well, there is no guarantee that what you're saying is actually true and not driven by the current argument but ok, you dont represent the majority of players just an old time fan.

Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Animal Crossing.

Well I've now provided the demographics of Nintendo gamers which show that you're wrong so we can be done with this bit yeah? Or are you going to pretend that you're still right even in the face of such evidence?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

You also have any idea why Xbox went back and did that? Goodness of their hearts? Money?

All i care about is the fact that they are enjoying backwards compatibility and we are not.

21 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

What your words imply is the idea that Microsoft/Xbox cares more about games than Sony/PlayStation because Jim Ryan did a gaff on one of his rare interviews because he ain't a fully trained PR man like Spencer is.

I think Jim Ryan was speaking his mind there. And also Phil Spencer sitting down and candidly answering tough questions in a lengthy interview during one of the worst weeks for his company is the opposite of being "fully trained PR man". PR men like that usually hide behind twitter jpegs.

• Like 1