Xbox CEO just gives up

Rozalia1

2 hours ago, Jeanoltt said:

Sony put game streaming on the map actually seeing as how PSNOW started 3 years before Gamepass launched and BC was done by Sony since the PS2 and while you could argue the PS5 has BC because of Microsoft, the fact that PS4 and PS5 have similar architecture made it a no brainer to have the PS5 compatible with PS4 games.

Edited by majob
  • Like 3

Hard to envy being in Phil Spencer's shoes after Don Mattrick nearly buried the Xbox brand. The fact that he took a company that was *this* close to being shuttered and had it reclaim the market share it has now is a testament that he was doing something right, even if there were better routes that could have been taken. He knew they wouldn't be able to fight PlayStation on the same playing field, which is why Xbox focused on features like Game Pass, shared games on PC, cloud gaming, backward compatibility, etc.

The truth is Xbox does need a strong library of exclusives. They don't need a lot, but they do need them to be very good and very appealing. Turning Xbox into more of a service and less of a plastic box helped growth in the short term, but even as a gaming service you need reasons (i.e. exclusives/good games) to draw people in.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Was skimming through the video looking for the point you said about enough knocks getting Phil fired, just because that'd be kind of a weird and amusing point for him to make... but I couldn't find it lol.  I'm sure it's there.

https://youtu.be/yKwfEQ1eEyM?t=1290

He said something about "Getting enough knocks against me, to get someone else here"

Didn't sound serious. Honestly, I feel like someone like Phil doesn't get fired.

I can't even imagine how low morale must be over on the Microsoft side of things. When the face of the company can't even muster up the energy to play the game for more than like 30 minutes before un-installing; super telling sign of things to come. I used to fuck with Xbox 360 soo heavy back in the day and to see it fall this far from grace in the last 10ish years is genuinely sad to see. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Actually, Sony started backwards compatibility with ps2.  Launch ps3 was also backwards compatible.

That ended with the ps4 due to ps3 cell architecture, but it's back with ps5

Sony was probably in the way of ending BC; they won millons with remasters/ports and didn't need them. Xbox saw this flaw and pushed it, back on PS3/PS2 you didn't see the BC as something in the marketing of the console, it was something people just expected to have. 

Xbox probably gave sony that little push to confirm backwards compatibility, and probably the reason why there's a PS Premium.

Don't forget when Jim said years ago that no one buys new consoles to play old games.

@majob Let's be honest, PSNow streaming was horrible lol. Even people with high connections that tried it experienced the same. Gamepass is practically everywhere, and it's better in most aspects.

Edited by Jeanoltt

I watched it and I do think he's given up. The reason I brought a ps4 was because they made great games I was missing out on. I was a 360/xbone user and had a huge collection of xbox games (500+) and I still made the switch to ps4 pro, where I now have 660 games played.

To say that even if starfield is an 11/10 it wont get ps users buying an xbox, or just great games in general is the most defeatest thing I've ever heard any businessman ever say.
I would 100% buy a series x if starfield comes out and is a 11/10. Hell even if halo/gears/forza and all the other exclusives were solid 8/9s across the board I'd already have a series x by now. 

If he doesn't care about making great games people want to play, the xbox users are eventually going to end up with a playstation and never look back.
They lost the 360 gen at the end, they lost the xbone gen from the start and the series x looks like it's about to set itself on fire and throw itself off a cliff.

Phil needs to be replaced by someone who can manage the studios they have, and have a team of QA testers who actually have a backbone. No way you can trust your own reviewers if they say redfall is a good game that people will enjoy. I fucking hope they lose the ABK apeal, because that's a hell of a lot of IPs for them to ruin.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

I really do hope Xbox ends up being like, a service or something and just gets the fuck out of any other aspect of video games. 

They have done absolutely nothing positive for the hobby in the entire time they've been around.

Wow... Well id argue that they made consoles closer to PC. Which is very good for gaming.

Also the indie scene wouldn't be what it is without Xbox Live arcade.

Heck this site wouldn't even exist without them. No Xbox, no achievements so no trophies

Not only that but competition is good for the consumer. Without Xbox and with Nintendo content to do their own thing, do you think we'd have plus or all these exclusives? If say no.

Edited by RedDevil757

33 minutes ago, Jeanoltt said:

@majob Let's be honest, PSNow streaming was horrible lol. Even people with high connections that tried it experienced the same. Gamepass is practically everywhere, and it's better in most aspects.

Speak for yourself, never had an issue streaming games with PSNow unless I was using wifi same like it would be for gamepass today, and it's no different than what Playstation is using now to stream games, the only difference is it had about 200-300 more games available to play that they took away with the change to ps premium ?

8 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Wow... Well id argue that they made consoles closer to PC. Which is very good for gaming.

Also the indie scene wouldn't be what it is without Xbox Live arcade.

Heck this site wouldn't even exist without them. No Xbox, no achievements so no trophies

Not only that but competition is good for the consumer. Without Xbox and with Nintendo content to do their own thing, do you think we'd have plus or all these exclusives? If say no.

I actually wrote a comment saying how MS made consoles more like PC, but I don't think it's a positive. 

I do agree competition I generally a good thing, but when one company just tries to shape the landscape to suit their strengths instead of consumer desires, it's not fun. Especially when that company has trillions of dollars. 

Would we have Plus if not for Xbox Live? Maybe not, but that's totally fine with me. We didn't have it during the beginning of PS3 and when we did get it, it wasn't a $60 a year surcharge to simply use your console and games. It was entirely optional. Hell, they even call the bottom tier "Essential"! 

Xbox has been a blight on gaming unless you love First Person Shooters, paying for online, and incorrect thumb stick layouts.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TheDXJC56 said:

Speak for yourself, never had an issue streaming games with PSNow unless I was using wifi same like it would be for gamepass today, and it's no different than what Playstation is using now to stream games, the only difference is it had about 200-300 more games available to play that they took away with the change to ps premium 1f612.png

I obviously speak for myself, it wasn't available on my country. At the end of its life, Now was available to 19 countries compared to 46 of Gamepass. At the time of writing this, PS+ Premium is available on 30 countries and Gamepass on 86. 

I was lucky to try PSNow with another account but most people didn't, and that's why the service wasn't really important until now. I couldn't, obviously, try the streaming, and until today it isn't available on my region, while Xcloud & Nvidia are.

I'm just saying that he did good things in regards to streaming & games accesibility, no need to jump and defend playstation when I have all of them in my house lol.

32 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

The jump to conclusions with this one got a chuckle out of me.

Little does the flagged hotdog person know... I also can't stand Sony! They destroyed the Vita and I don't think they've handled this hobby well from the wings.

• Like 4

The state of the industry is pretty dire. I go where the games are. I spent PS3/360 on Xbox because of live and the great games, then things shifted back to Sony. Now I see Xbox mistake after mistake and Sony stagnating and trying to weather the market storm with remakes.

But this is absolutely horrible PR by Phil. 

It’s spin but ya don’t let yourself get spun. Protec ya neck son.

11 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Little does the flagged hotdog person know... I also can't stand Sony! They destroyed the Vita and I don't think they've handled this hobby well from the wings.

Personally I can't stand all three, albeit for various different reasons. lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

If it wasn’t of Xbox 360’s Xbox Live, we wouldn’t have gotten Trophies system, and that Sony stepped up their PSN features on the PS4. 

Preach. Some PS3 games still don't have trophy support while having achievements on X360

but

Spencer wasn't Xbox boss back then ?

Back then Xbox had exclusive jrpgs like Lost Odyssey or games like Alan Wake. Then Kinect happened and they didn't care after that. 

OP is wrong though. Specer didn't give up. He delivers...he delivers craps to Gamepass at a steady pace ? It's beyond me that studio made Deathloop exclusively for PS5. Now they made worst game in their recent history. Same happened to Rare after Microsoft bought them. 

You all forgetting something though. Hi Fi Rush dropped this year. OP didn't make a thread about it.

Did he made a thread about Yoshida giving up when terrible Shadow Fall hit the market? Hell no. No one says Xbox can compete with Sony and Nintendo today. It's not 2005-2010 era when they did that with ease. 

But i'm ok with Spencer leaving. You know guys. I wonder if you ever saw old Nintendo games? They had a quality seal on the game boxes. Their devs did the unthinkable. Microsoft should put shite symbol on their game boxes. 

Right now Xbox needs changes. I want them to compete, i want them to give us a breakthrough like an achievement system. It won't happen under Spencer becasue he's a clueless CEO just like people steering PSG. They too have all the money in the world and best players in the world. But that's not enough to be the best. 

Sony would never made PlayStation if Nintendo weren't arrogant, but both of those companies have a vision to deliver best video games in the world and they deliver. 

Edited by PIOTREK27-1982
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Actually, Sony started backwards compatibility with ps2.  Launch ps3 was also backwards compatible.

That ended with the ps4 due to ps3 cell architecture, but it's back with ps5

If you want to get technical, they only popularized it. The Sega Master System was the first backwards compatible console, followed by the Atari 7800 and then the genesis/mega drive with the power base converter

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

If you want to get technical, they only popularized it. The Sega Master System was the first backwards compatible console, followed by the Atari 7800 and then the genesis/mega drive with the power base converter

technically  I never said created or were the first to use it.  

They started (using) backwards compatibility with ps2 - prior to xbox.  It was a response to a post claiming Phil/Xbox made it a thing.

Edit

Not looking to argue semantics. @Jeanolttclarified their opinion (which is a fair point and potentially accurate assumption) with their response.

Xbox isn't evil and competition breeds innovation.  It's just that unfortunately MS' business model stands to potentially destroy the market.  I think we can all agree that they should put their resources into development and have a fair competition.

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Quit being a fanboy. It's fine to love your Ps4/5 but to say the Xbox suck is just plain wrong

But it's true. The decisions they are making, the products they are releasing, and the lack of communication around their other titles and go forward plans proves this. This is not to say that they will suck indefinitely. If enough positive change happens then they can garner goodwill again and become better. Let's hope they do for the sake of their players, fans, and the industry.