Xbox CEO just gives up

Rozalia1

57 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Was skimming through the video looking for the point you said about enough knocks getting Phil fired, just because that'd be kind of a weird and amusing point for him to make... but I couldn't find it lol.  I'm sure it's there.

I give Phil some credit, he's being honest about Xbox being in third place and how he see's the future.

He's saying that Xbox lost the generation (PS4/Xbox One) where people really started building their digital libraries.  Now, unlike the old days where new consoles had different cartridges and discs, the libraries didn't carry over, and it was a blank slate or a new race with a chance at a different winner... that the Xbox is just perpetually in third place because there's no game they could make big enough to switch people over. It's the Steam on PC issue... people have thousands and thousands of games in their Steam library, and at this point, there's virtually no way for another PC storefront to come in and take it over.  No one is going to give up their entire digital library to switch, and it's even more dramatic for console considering the cost of entry.

21:32. He seems to abort stating it directly as he is just about to say it, but it was how I understood that sentence from him.

We can respect him being more honest than usual with these things, but having the boss come out with this talk is really bad. Someone who believes what he has come out with simply should not be heading the brand unless they've going to do away with it.

The problem with his statement even if it was to be argued that the PS3 turn around was before digital lock in, is that Nintendo exists. If you build good enough games then people will buy your console.

41 minutes ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

If it wasn’t of Xbox 360’s Xbox Live, we wouldn’t have gotten Trophies system, and that Sony stepped up their PSN features on the PS4. 

Dreamcast was the 1st to push online and with technology developing as it did that would have eventually come together without Microsoft, but I'll not take away those points even if they may have eventually come without them. What I believe @yowzagabowza means, and his follow up looks to be this, is that Microsoft's main developments have been negative ones. Paying for online on console is something that Microsoft popularised. The "moneyhats" that Microsoft loves to complain about today (while still doing them, just for gamepass instead) was popularised by them. People have been saying that big buy outs are the future of the industry because again, Microsoft is popularising big companies just buying out other big companies (hopefully this dies with their failure on Activision). If subscription gaming were to take over and lead to low quality games as many believe it would then once again be Microsoft having popularised a negative.

33 minutes ago, wardragon989 said:

Hi Fi Rush is an example. It succeed but Xbox act like it doesn't exist.

I didn't note it in the summation because I didn't feel it warranted it but he does mention Hi-Fi Rush. He of course praises it but also states that even though no one talks about it, Age of Empires is played more than Hi-Fi Rush is on Xbox. The overriding narrative I've taken based on Xbox's performance and what he has said here is that Xbox aims to have "diversity of content" which Hi-Fi Rush totally is a part of, however as long as they are constrained to the console market then they will not be successful because the majority of Xbox players do not want that diversity of content. As such Xbox needs to expand their gaming to PC, phones, TVs, your toilet and bring in new customers who'll be attracted by that diversity of content. Xbox if they focused on their core audience would certainly be more successful, but not successful enough to keep Microsoft happy.

• Like 4

While I'm still pleased with gamepass as a whole, I'm pretty bummed by the current state of first party microsoft. They buy all these studios that did great work in the past and they start releasing mediocre crap, it's baffling. And I don't even know how they do it, it's like they force the studios to make garbage. I feel if the activision deal goes through they'll manage to break call of duty. And that will be an achievement in and of itself since you just need to reskin the same gameplay every year to make CoD.
Hopefully someone can still steer this ship around and focus on making good games, but these ppl are all about the metrics, if more people downloaded redfall than hi fi rush on the first 4 hours after release a board room somewhere is going to interpret that rushing stuff out the door is the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yowzagabowza said:

Pfff, very unlikely and ridiculous to suggest 

Why do you say it’s unlikely? You think Sony and Nintendo would have just given up their proprietary memory card revenue? You said Microsoft has done nothing to advance the gaming industry. I gave you an example that they did. 

7 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Why do you say it’s unlikely? You think Sony and Nintendo would have just given up their proprietary memory card revenue? You said Microsoft has done nothing to advance the gaming industry. I gave you an example that they did. 

Yes, I think Sony and Nintendo would have realized that a HDD was better for their systems as technology advanced. 

I'll give you that MS did it first. That's one point for them but there are still countless points against them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ZenaxPure said:

I mean I guess on the most technical level there is no guarantee that people will buy your console if you make great games... but it certainly doesn't hurt your chances.

This kind of mentality has always bugged me. I bought a 360 back in the day because in the early years they were investing into Japanese games (Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant, Tales of Vesperia, etc.) I was gonna get a Xbox One when Scalebound came out (RIP) and I would absolutely get a Series X if there were more games like HiFi Rush (which even if I didn't think was perfect or anything it is one of my favorite games of the year so far) coming out for the console.

Games sell consoles, maybe not for everyone but certainly for a lot of people.

It is a comment I'm seeing a lot of. How would Phil Spencer know this when he hasn't even tried.

Those games you mentioned during the 360 days were certainly them on the correct path but as usual the results they wanted didn't come quick enough so they just gave up. Xbox management should know that Nintendo and Sony didn't just one day suddenly have a massive reputation for good games that sell their platforms. They got there by making good games consistently over a long period of time. Xbox however either doesn't want to put in the work or worse does not believe that they could do it even if they tried, hence all the buyouts they're doing.

10 minutes ago, Miojo666 said:

While I'm still pleased with gamepass as a whole, I'm pretty bummed by the current state of first party microsoft. They buy all these studios that did great work in the past and they start releasing mediocre crap, it's baffling. And I don't even know how they do it, it's like they force the studios to make garbage. I feel if the activision deal goes through they'll manage to break call of duty. And that will be an achievement in and of itself since you just need to reskin the same gameplay every year to make CoD.
Hopefully someone can still steer this ship around and focus on making good games, but these ppl are all about the metrics, if more people downloaded redfall than hi fi rush on the first 4 hours after release a board room somewhere is going to interpret that rushing stuff out the door is the way.

Xbox back in the day were blamed for being too "hands on" which results in some failures. After being hands off with Mojang and that turning out fine they patted themselves on the back for finally figuring out how to handle buyouts. Largely nothing but messes at the studios they own ever since.

A comment he made in this interview stated that he isn't going to be telling a studio to stick to what they're good at, even if as we've clearly seen, branching out resulted in a terrible game. These studios used to have some oversight and have largely stopped having it hence all the issues.

18 minutes ago, Jermster_91 said:

I mean trophy hunting is a hobby, similar to model talks, planes, etc. Some are into it and others are not. 

I can say this, if there were no trophies on Playstation games, I would be able to play more diverse games. There are some games that look interesting but will not play because of the trophies associated with them.

I wouldn't worry about it, but you can always use a second account to play them on.

13 minutes ago, Slava said:

Usually he'd say it like "We didn't finish third, we were actually running in another direction". This sounds closer to the sad reality.

Interesting thought, and I think I'll partially agree. What about the PS360 gen though. When the digital era began.

Indeed. If Sony can strike exclusivity deals, so can Microsoft. For example, Spider-Man coud've been their IP, according to some reports, but they refused. Now Spider-Man comes up in the online argument about exclusivity almost as often as Final Fantasy. Xbox has been doing better with hot and popular smaller games recently like Vampire Survivors and Powerwash Simulator which both made their way to Game Pass, I'll give them that.

Either he has realised it ain't good to do or Microsoft has (finally) told him to not do it further. The CMA used many of Spencer's previous comments about them actually totally being ahead and not behind against Microsoft.

Word is that as they were preparing for the Xbox One era management believed that their "ecosystem" was "sticky" enough to where they basically could do whatever. Xbox then went on to get clobbered. Now in the current generation they've gotten clobbered again and its now that we're hearing this narrative. Its possible that "digital lock in" only triggered during the PS4/Xbox One era, but at the same time it could be that it existed also during the PS3/60 era but as Xbox got hammered the generation after (they shouldn't have been if digital lock in is so powerful) they're pretending it didn't exist then.

Reportedly what has been hampering Xbox is that they tie their exclusivity deals to gamepass, something that a number of companies don't want to tie the releases of their games to. If so then that is entirely self inflicted as they certainly don't have to do that.

7 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Funny you should mention that as Microsoft is the one running with proprietary drives today which are both more expensive and worse than ones for the PS5. The decline of physical media, the size of games, patches, so forth would have lead to them moving away from memory cards eventually in the scenario where the PS3 had them. As @DrBloodmoney stated, we can give credit to them and all, but it'd have happened without them.

• Like 4

Jesus this entire thread is full of brainworms...

*ahem*

Sony and Nintendo would have never given up that sweet, sweet memory card revenue. The OG Xbox having a hard drive got Sony and Nintendo's heads out of their asses (and would have probably gotten Sega's head out of their asses too if their dumbass management didn't decide to leave hardware entirely). Xbox getting complacent pushes Sony to do better. Nintendo alone isn't going to do that because they've been in their weird "doing our own thing lol" corner since the release of the Wii; they've been targeting an entirely different set of people since 2006 and considering how successful the Switch is they sure as hell aren't changing that anytime soon.

So yeah, Microsoft is good for the gaming industry as long as their more spectacularly stupid ideas (e.g. the Activision Blizzard acquisition) are reigned in by antitrust firms.

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

The problem with his statement even if it was to be argued that the PS3 turn around was before digital lock in, is that Nintendo exists. If you build good enough games then people will buy your console.

Nintendo has too long of a history and too fiercely loyal of a userbase to honestly draw a comparison.  They're almost in their own category as far as gaming goes and not really direct competition to Xbox, Playstation or PC.

If the answer is "just be Nintendo" then you're underestimating the totally unrealistic mountain that would be to climb.

Edited by Dreakon13

42 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Xbox back in the day were blamed for being too "hands on" which results in some failures. After being hands off with Mojang and that turning out fine they patted themselves on the back for finally figuring out how to handle buyouts. Largely nothing but messes at the studios they own ever since.

A comment he made in this interview stated that he isn't going to be telling a studio to stick to what they're good at, even if as we've clearly seen, branching out resulted in a terrible game. These studios used to have some oversight and have largely stopped having it hence all the issues.

Meanwhile they have a studio that's entiretly dedicated to doing halo and another entirely dedicated to making gears of war and nothing else ?.
It's like they're playing every hand to see what sticks and losing at all tables at the same time

4 minutes ago, KILLERMACHINE666 said:

That they just stop stupid war i believe must they get agreement together work together they atleast dnt screw gamers let play on what want than go do silly wars 

It is business and is only war as a euphemism.  
Businesses tend to not help their direct competitors. Especially when you consider why both Sony and MS entered console gaming to begin with.

Coke will do whatever they can to get more or better shelfspace than Pepsi in a store. And don't let a rep come into the store and see their competitor's product in the space they pay for.

Nothing about them "getting along" will be beneficial to you as a gamer. The intent behind business is maximize profit, not maximize customer feelings.

• Like 4