Gaming for the Animals 2: The Squeakquel

Okay, I've narrowed things down from my initial list of over 15 animals. ? Someone has already mentioned one of my favorites, Red Pandas, so I figured I'd post the list and see if there is any love for felines and/or wolverines as well~. (And maybe help me to finalize my votes sometime this decade, lol)

RED PANDA | Ailurus fulgens

• Ailurus fulgens etymology: Shining Cat! 
  • They are almost perenially adorable. I am restraining myself from including lots of gifs and images here, but I've legitimately used them as placeholder images when working on webpages. ?
  • Probably less than 10,000 red pandas are left in the wild, and some estimate that number could even be below 3,000.

JAGUAR | Panthera onca

• Melanistic (black) fur pattern is awesome! 
    • And the bigger version of my black cat house panther.
    • Thus superior to the spotted jaguar, in my opinion. ?
  • The only extant Panthera species native to the Americas, and the third largest species of cat in the world.
  • Likely a keystone species!! (This means that it is vital to keeping balance in its ecosystem)
  • Has no problem swimming.
  • Tons of cool Mesoamerican mythology - like deities and were-jaguars!

BLACK-FOOTED CAT | Felis nigripes

• Despite their diminutive size - one of the smallest wild cats on the planet, and the smallest in Africa - these are THE DEADLIEST wild cats out there.
    • The BBC says they have a 60% success rate when hunting, which makes them better than most predators! In fact, probably only African Wild Dogs are more successful - but also usually hunt in packs.
  • There are probably less than 9,000 Black-Footed Cats left in the wild.
    • These felids are also difficult to keep in captivity far from southern Africa, as they have highly specific habitat needs. There is a zoo in Germany that has good success, though!

CLOUDED LEOPARD | Neofelis nebulosa

• Gorgeous and unique fur pattern! (Sadly, poachers love selling their fur pattern)
  • One of two wild cat species that can run down trees. 
  • They have the longest canine teeth (proportionally) of all extant feline species, so they are like modern-day sabertooth tigers!
  • They are a mid-sized feline and capable of purring! Having a hyoid bone means they can't roar like larger 'big cats' can. 
  • Estimated to have around 4,000-6,000 adults left in the wild.

SNOW LEOPARD | Panthera uncia

• SNOW KITTY, also called the "ghost of the mountain" due to their mysterious and elusive nature.
  • Their thick tail can be used as a blanket/cover for their face when they sleep, which is absolulely adorable.
  • More than a third of the protected areas within their range have territories too small to sustain even one adult male. 
  • They are one of the best "health indicators" of high-altitude environments and are thus often used as a symbol for climate change. 
    • Snow leopards are probably going to lose 30% of their habitat because climate change is causing the tree line in the Himalayans to decrease.
  • Nepalese and Tibetan cultures view Snow Leopards as mythical creatures.
  • Estimated to have around 4,000-7,000 adults left in the wild.

WOLVERINE | Gulo gulo

• Low popularity for WWF symbolic adoption. ?
  • Gulo gulo etymology means "glutton glutton" - which is interesting, since a large part of their diet for much of the year comes from scavenging!
  • Wolverines are pros at not wasting food, though:
    • Their jaws are so powerful they can crush frozen skulls.
    • They also have a special molar that is perpendicular to the others (facing the inside of the mouth) that helps them tear frozen meat and crack open bones to extract bone marrow.
  • Their large, padded feet act like snowshoes. They can travel over 30mph/48kph across deep snow for long periods of time!
    • Wolverines also have a 'crampon' claw that helps them to scale sheer ice cliffs easily.
    • Their fur is also much more resistant to frost compared to most animal furs. 
  • So badass that they will stand their ground in a face-off against larger predators like wolves. 
  • Wolverines are fairly intelligent, too - they've been documented sneaking bait out of collaring traps.
  • Like 3

hope this can count as my first entry just got it now :D.

the games nothing to special just rock paper scissors meets ape escape but cool to have.

and my vote is for a platypus cos who else protects the tri state area :P

L1c3688.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dezorak said:

hope this can count as my first entry just got it now :D.

the games nothing to special just rock paper scissors meets ape escape but cool to have.

and my vote is for a platypus cos who else protects the tri state area :P

L1c3688.png

Since the event doesn't start until July 4th this game won't count, sorry!

Just now, MissShake said:

Since the event doesn't start until July 4th this game won't count, sorry!

No wonder people ask if i cant read lol (i misread it as June 4th) oh well will just mean i save the others i was planning till next month and i get the perk of playing them while I'm off work for the summer.

• Like 1

Below are some event-appropriate games I've played, excluding anything Sylvanticore already mentioned. Though I want to second that Abzû, Okami, and Stray are all great games!

• Chicory
  • Night in the Woods
  • Donut County (1h19m, disqualified)
  • Never Alone
  • Wytchwood

Some games from my backlog I am thinking of playing for this event:

• Spiritfarer
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Spirit of the North
  • Shape of the World
  • Guardians of the Galaxy, Cult of the Lamb, ManEater, Ratchet & Clank 

QUESTION:

Would love to know if the following games in my backlog are appropriate since I'm deliberately keeping myself mostly blind about them:

• Subnautica
  • Pyre 
Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

Does this list look okay to keep up @MissShake

Looks about right, yeah! :D

1 hour ago, pelagia14 said:

QUESTION:

Would love to know if the following games in my backlog are appropriate since I'm deliberately keeping myself mostly blind about them:

• Subnautica
  • Pyre 

As someone who has the plat for both of these, I can tell you right now that these will count! A couple of chracters in Pyre work, and you have many encounters with animal-like creatures in Subnautica.

I'll post a tentative list of what I'll be playing for the event as well :D

• Like 1

Here are some games that I have on my list that will work for this event:

• Stray: an obvious pick
  • Tekken 7: for Kuma and Panda
  • Blazblue: for the character Jubei
  • Pyre: there are five party members that would work for this event
  • Persona 5: Morgana
  • Guardians of the Galaxy games: Rocket Raccoon
  • Undertale: Toriel and Azriel
  • Final Fantasy games: many summons and some party members
  • Catherine: the sheep (this one can be a bit gray because many sheep are enemies in this, but you do save some "sheep" for the plat so I'll allow it)
  • Soul Calibur: Lizardman
  • PaRappa the Rapper: doge
  • The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince: the princess turns into a wolf throughout the game
  • A Hat in Time: a few animal characters
  • Kingdom Hearts: Donald and Goofy, plus a couple of summons
  • Hades: Cerberus :D
  • A Short Hike: you play as a bird
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Sonic games
  • Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl: Sandy the Squirrel, Patrick the Starfish, Catdog the um... Cat and dog
  • Never Alone: fox companion
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • Sly Cooper

@pelagia14 I actually looked at the fastest plat times for Subnautica and they don't fit within the rules of this event, sorry, I totally forgot to check on that!

May as well use this time to remind everyone here: If the player uses Autopop, OR if the fastest (not obviously Autopopped or cheated) time on the Fastest Leaderboard section is under 30 minutes, OR the 50th place on the 'Fastest Leaderboard' is under one and a half hours, it will not be counted. I don't believe anyone here plans on using autopops for this event or anything like that, I just want this event to require at least a little effort :)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MissShake said:

May as well use this time to remind everyone here: If the player uses Autopop, OR if the fastest (not obviously Autopopped or cheated) time on the Fastest Leaderboard section is under 30 minutes, OR the 50th place on the 'Fastest Leaderboard' is under one and a half hours, it will not be counted. I don't believe anyone here plans on using autopops for this event or anything like that, I just want this event to require at least a little effort :)

It's a shame that with Subnautica people just used the console cheat to get the platinum as fast as they did making it unusable for this event, sadly ruined something I wanted to do as well since I wanted to use Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection for the event but since you can use the Watch feature to get the platinum very quickly I won't be able to use it.

Not complaining about the rules by the way :)

Edited by Sylvanticore
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sylvanticore said:

It's a shame that with Subnautica people just used the console cheat to get the platinum as fast as they did making it unusable for this event, sadly ruined something I wanted to do as well since I wanted to use Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection for the event but since you can get use the Watch feature to get the platinum very quickly I won't be able to use it.

Not complaining about the rules by the way :)

It really is a bummer tbh, I was gonna recommend the Disney collection with Lion King on it but that's also been ruined ?

10 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

What's black and white and red all over? It's Team Panda splitting their votes last year! We must decide between regular panda and red panda if we are to win.

I'm in, naturally.

I would definitely be down to vote for Team Red Panda! They seriously are one of my favorite animals, and their scientific name lets me pretend I'm still voting for a cat! ?

9 hours ago, MissShake said:

Looks about right, yeah! :D

As someone who has the plat for both of these, I can tell you right now that these will count! A couple of chracters in Pyre work, and you have many encounters with animal-like creatures in Subnautica.

I'll post a tentative list of what I'll be playing for the event as well :D

Thanks for the spoiler-free response for Pyre! Shame about Subnautica, from your next post.

8 hours ago, MissShake said:

@pelagia14 I actually looked at the fastest plat times for Subnautica and they don't fit within the rules of this event, sorry, I totally forgot to check on that!

I was wondering if Cerberus would count for Hades! I should be able to get the platinum by the time this event goes live, so that is fantastic! I also completely forgot about A Short Hike, looks like it is even on sale for 35% off right now!

Gosh, I hadn't even thought to check the fastest plat times for my games, since I know the trophy guide times are much longer than 90 minutes. I have no idea how people are plat'ing Subnautica in a half hour unless they were offline for most of their trophies? Weird.

Looks like Maneater on PS5 has a lot of autopops, since the PS4 version has most of the fastest achievers taking a day to earn it. Same with Guardians of the Galaxy, PS5's is just seconds but PS4 is hours to days. So I assume playing the PS5 versions of these two games would still be okay since the fastest times are clearly due to the autopops.

50th fastest for Donut County is 1h19m, so I suppose I'll have to cross that out in my previous post. ?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 7:07 AM, pelagia14 said:

Looks like Maneater on PS5 has a lot of autopops, since the PS4 version has most of the fastest achievers taking a day to earn it. Same with Guardians of the Galaxy, PS5's is just seconds but PS4 is hours to days. So I assume playing the PS5 versions of these two games would still be okay since the fastest times are clearly due to the autopops.

Yeah I think this year I'll just cross reference with the PS4 version on PS5 games with autopop, just to be safe!

I would like to join as well. I have some ideas for some animal (and bug!) games as well that might be a bit lesser-known:

1. Bug Fables 

2. Flewfie's Adventure 

3. Ghost of a Tale 

4. Home Sheep Home: Farmaggedon

5. Horse Tales: Emerald Valley Ranch

6. Meow Motors

7. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

8. Shiness the Lightning Kingdom (I think you play as a bear or cat or some such, definitely an animal)

9. Snake Pass

10. Tamarin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am in for round 2. I look forward to the tease of the event badge as last years is proudly in my signature.

Thankfully I have plenty of games in the backlog that fit the rules

• Stray (PS4)
  • Okami
  • Toem
  • Chicory
  • Jak and Daxter (PS4)
  • Sly 1,2 and 3
  • Spyro 1,2 and 3

Edited by innocent_guy
mispelling
  • Like 1

If anyone was curious about the games I'm considering, here ya go!

• Stray (I'm doing this first because it's leaving PS Plus D:)
  • Endling (it looks to specifically deal with extinction so it might honestly be a perfect fit for this event)
  • Sly 3 (maybe Sly 4 as well)
  • Tunic
  • Maneater
  • Cult of the Lamb
  • Spiritfarer
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Spirit of the North

The moment that it hits July 4th in your area you can finish games up for this event! If you want to start the games before that time you're all good, just remember the last trophy for the plat/100% must pop on July 4th :)

Why not give my list, too:

- Stray (two trophies left, shouldn't take long)

- Wonderbook: Detective Diggs and Walking with Dinosaurs (I have a Wonderbook weekend planned to have all four games done)

- Spider-Man: Miles Morales

- Biomutant

- Tales of Iron

- Endling

- the old Sam&Max games, they have been sitting on my PS3 forever

• Like 1

I think that I can join, even if I'm unsure about the minimum badge games... really will depend on how progress goes along other things..

For now, I'm thinking of:

Final Fantasy XVI - the sidekick is a lovely puppy...

Street Fighter 6 - there's a mission that requires us to take some photos of cats... does this count?

Wild Arms - the save point in several locations is a literal bird (yes, there's a trophy that asks us to try to harm 1 of those, but no birds are hurt in the process...

• Like 1

I think I'm going a bit out of my reach, but right now, the games I'm considering for this event are:

- Stray;

- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus;

- Ratchet: Deadlocked;

- Ratchet & Clank;

- Tekken Tag Tournament 2;

- Chicory: A Colorful Tale;

- Final Fantasy XV;

- Spider-Man: Miles Morales;

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge;

- Petoons Party;

- Moss;

- Ape Academy 2.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MissShake said:

The moment that it hits July 4th in your area you can finish games up for this event! If you want to start the games before that time you're all good, just remember the last trophy for the plat/100% must pop on July 4th :)

Woah - thank you for the reminder that the event does not start on July 1st! I probably would have popped 2-3 platinums for the event this weekend without that message.?

• Like 1