Gaming for the Animals 2: The Squeakquel

Hi everyone! I just have a quick reminder...

You have six days left to vote for a new animal! This means that starting August 1st, you cannot vote for an animal that doesn't already have votes.

If you have an animal that you want to keep in the running that doesn't have any votes, now is the home stretch!

• Like 2

@MissShake

Slightly weird question here, but what's your opinion on "claiming" games that are basically done, but are hamstrung by time-dependent trophies?

I'm currently playing through Far Cry 6, which has lots of animal buddies in it and easily fits the event rules...

..., but I've become aware that one of the trophies in the base game requires multiple completions of an in-game "event" which only becomes possible once a week, when the game calendar resets.

There's a chance I might get it done before the event ends, but also a chance I simply won't have the ability to, depending on when that "roll-over" happens - can this still be claimed as a "complete" if all trophies in the base list except that one are done... or do I just need to hope their calendar lines up right with the event duration?

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@MissShake

Slightly weird question here, but what's your opinion on "claiming" games that are basically done, but are hamstrung by time-dependent trophies?

I'm currently playing through Far Cry 6, which has lots of animal buddies in it and easily fits the event rules...

..., but I've become aware that one of the trophies in the base game requires multiple completions of an in-game "event" which only becomes possible once a week, when the game calendar resets.

There's a chance I might get it done before the event ends, but also a chance I simply won't have the ability to, depending on when that "roll-over" happens - can this still be claimed as a "complete" if all trophies in the base list except that one are done... or do I just need to hope their calendar lines up right with the event duration?

Yeaaah I'm just gonna say you should move on to another game. I don't think it makes sense to count a game that hasn't been finished yet. Sorry about that!

• Like 1

I completed Hohokum, a game about a snakelike creature called The Long Mover playing the role of the seeker in a hide and seek game with his other snakelike friends.

You must use your godlike powers to travel through time and space in order to find them, interacting with the world and solving puzzles that include things like : collecting honey from bee's, swimming through marine while protecting a siren and freeing a baboon from captivity (these are the puzzles where animals have a big role).

My vote goes for the Vampire Bat.

• Like 3

Hey I know I said I was only gonna use Pa Patrol once but this game was a boring 10 hour hell and I need to get some value for it. So If it's okay i'd like my fifth game to be the fully played PS5 version of Paw Patrol: Grand Prix. Let me know if this isn't accepted since I already did the PS4 version but there's no autopopping and I had to slog through 170 more boring races so I hope it works.

Sf595c0.png

My vote as always goes to the Hedgehog.

• Like 4

On 7/27/2023 at 10:01 PM, LorenzoLame said:

I completed Hohokum, a game about a snakelike creature called The Long Mover playing the role of the seeker in a hide and seek game with his other snakelike friends.

You must use your godlike powers to travel through time and space in order to find them, interacting with the world and solving puzzles that include things like : collecting honey from bee's, swimming through marine while protecting a siren and freeing a baboon from captivity (these are the puzzles where animals have a big role).

My vote goes for the Vampire Bat.

Unfortunately this game won't work for the event:

"If the fastest (not obviously Autopopped or cheated) time on the Fastest Leaderboard section is under 30 minutes [...] it will not be counted."

The fastest (not cheated) time for this is at twenty five minutes. Sorry about that!

12 hours ago, MissShake said:

Unfortunately this game won't work for the event:

"If the fastest (not obviously Autopopped or cheated) time on the Fastest Leaderboard section is under 30 minutes [...] it will not be counted."

The fastest (not cheated) time for this is at twenty five minutes. Sorry about that!

Oh I forgot about that rule. Sorry 

Game #4:
Untitled Goose Game Platinum

L985a9c.png

You play as a Goose that terrorizes a small neighborhood area with chaos and shenanigans. ?

It's a fun and silly game, though two of the "speedrun X level" trophies took me a while to get. 

I will vote again for Red Pandas! Instead of a picture spam today, here are some interesting facts about them:

• Red Pandas can cause panda-monium, as they are natural zoo escape artists!
    • 1978 - Rotterdam Zoo (The Netherlands)
    • 2005 - Babu, Birmingham Nature Centre (England)
    • 2007 - Yin, Norfolk Zoo (USA)
    • 2008 - Pichu & cub Isla, Galloway Wildlife Conservation Park (Scotland)
    • 2009 - London Zoo (England)
    • 2012 - Dresden Zoo (Germany)
    • 2013 - Rusty, Smithsonian National Zoo (USA)
  • The mascot of the Mozilla Firefox web browser is actually a Red Panda, not a fox! "Firefox" is one of the nicknames for a Red Panda (others are "red bear-cat", "red cat-bear", and "lesser panda" - the slander!)
  • Red Pandas have an extended wrist bone that acts as a false thumb. It helps them to climb trees faster and is also helpful when eating their bamboo.
  • Part of why it is hard to breed Red Pandas is that they are fertile for only a couple of days a year in the spring!
  • Red Pandas are currently understood to be more closely related to Raccoons than to Giant Pandas, and Red Pandas were the OG Panda! ("Lesser" panda my ass...)
    • The taxonomic history is actually kind of hilarious - it has a plot twist! - so I can't help but include a Cliff Notes version:
      • Spoiler

• Europe 'discovers' things that other people already know.
          • In 1825, Europe learned of the Red Panda (back then it was just the "Panda"). In 1825 it was classified as part of the raccoon family, mainly because it looked like a Raccoon!
          • In the 1860s, Europe learned of the Giant Panda. They called it the Parti-Colored Bear and classified it as part of the bear family.
        • Sometime in the next few decades, scientists realized that (Red) Pandas and (Giant Panda) Parti-Coloreds were super similar in a lot of ways, so it was decided that (Red) Pandas were a type of bear.
        • Around 1900 that decision was reversed, with (Giant Panda) Parti-Coloreds still considered bears and (Red) Pandas declared as cousins to raccoons once more. 
        • In the 1910s, scientists determined that (Giant Panda) Parti-Coloreds were not part of the bear family, and it was decided that they were a larger type of panda plus a relative to the raccoon, just like the (Red) Panda.
          • Scientists couldn't keep calling (Giant Pandas) as Parti-Colored Bears anymore so that is when they were renamed as Giant Pandas, and Pandas were tragically renamed as Red Pandas.
        • Once we reached the 1980s, genome evidence provided a hilarious twist - Giant Pandas actually are part of the bear family!
          • Thus they were placed into their current taxonomy: Order Carnivora > Family Ursidae > Genus Ailuropoda > Giant Panda.
        • In 1995, mitochondrial DNA showed that Red Pandas are more closely related to raccoons than to other known animals, but not enough to put it in the Raccoon family (Procyonidae). 
          • Thus a new family was created, Ailuridae, with Red Panda as the only living species.
          • Their current taxonomy is: Order Carnivora > Family Ailuridae > Genus Ailurus > Red Panda. 

• TL:DR;
      • Red pandas went from Raccoons to Pandas to Bears to Their Own Thing.
      • Giant Pandas went from Bears to Still Bears to Pandas to JK Definitely Bears. 
      • We should really return to calling Giant Pandas "Parti-Colored Bears" as a result ?
Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 4

Two more for me today, the other version of JoJo Siwa's Worldwide party on PS5, which I did but forgot to put on here and continued to be boring. But in for a penny, in for a pound. I also finished Sonic Origins on PS4. I haven't played Sonic for a while and man does it not control well! That's 7/10 for me now

Completed 7/10

Final Fantasy XVI
JoJo Siwa's Worldwide Party (PS4)
JoJo Siwa's Worldwide Party (PS5)
Stray
Paw Patrol: Grand Prix (PS4)
Paw Patrol: Grand Prix (PS5)
Sonic Origins

+2 votes for Hedgehog, thanks.

• Like 3

As I still have one more day I believe, to add another animal to the mix....

I'm gonna use my vote from finishing my second game for the event. Ape Escape 2 to give some love to the Orangutan (female)

Orangutan-(female)-photo-card.jpg

Noble, dignified, and very intelligent. Those are the reasons I'm voting.... Plus they're just plain awesome...

I have also just realised the colour my sister just dyed her hair is the same as that lady Orangutan xD

I'd better shut up now, and go and play some more games with animals in them ?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Can I get a ruling before I buy a game and start it. Would the fishing and bug catching in Shin Chan be compatible with the event since it's nice fishing and bug catching?

Hmm... I think I'd say no. Since games like Cabela are a no-go I'd almost say that fishing and bug catching might be in a similar category? Can you raise animals or anything like that?

9 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Hmm... I think I'd say no. Since games like Cabela are a no-go I'd almost say that fishing and bug catching might be in a similar category? Can you raise animals or anything like that?

I just found out you can feed curry to dinosaurs to make them your friend, and also you can be nice to cows,  so I think it's safe to say this game works.

Also he's not keeping the bugs and fish, he's just taking pictures of them to learn about them.

Edited by DoctorDrPepper

1 minute ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

I just found out you can feed curry to dinosaurs to make them your friend, and also you can be nice to cows,  so I think it's safe to say this game works.

Also he's not keeping the bugs and fish, he's just taking pictures of them to learn about them.

Then sounds good to me, mostly for the first part :)

12 minutes ago, Sylvanticore said:

I'm really sorry I didn't actually complete any games this month, I had started on Humanity but my mind just hasn't been in a great place and really didn't feel like playing anything, hopefully next year I can come out swinging like last year!

That's totally okay! Life gets in the way sometimes, ya know? You still have two weeks to complete games though, so if you pick some shorter games you could maybe get the three games done for the badge? No pressure either way, I'll just leave a little hint for next year's event: water level :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissShake said:

That's totally okay! Life gets in the way sometimes, ya know? You still have two weeks to complete games though, so if you pick some shorter games you could maybe get the three games done for the badge? No pressure either way, I'll just leave a little hint for next year's event: water level :D

Still got two weeks? I might be able to do that then!

• Like 2