What are some goofy modern games?

ThatMuttGuy

That depends on what you mean by "goofy." If you're in the mood for an absurdist job simulator, check out Not For Broadcast. You play a TV news station studio director who gets his job just as a radical new political party comes to power. Gameplay is simple yet nuanced, but the writing is completely over the top. I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to comedy, but it's both funny and smart.

I recently picked it up for about $24, which is a steal for the quality. 

In Going Under, you play as an intern for a tech startup that has to hack n slash your way through dungeons of failed startups, like a recruiting site, a crypto currency, and a dating app. The art style looks like it could’ve been ripped straight from LinkedIn or Facebook and it is charming and silly and super worth playing. 

Jazzpunk is also one of the goofiest games I’ve ever played if you’re looking to laugh a lot. 

Untitled Goose Game you play as a goose just out to inconvenience everyone in town’s day. 

A little bit older but Deadly Premonition has some of the wildest writing in a game if you can get over the bland shooting mechanics. It’s known as one of the “best worst” games ever made and has a special place in my heart. 

I haven’t played Pursuit Force but I wonder if the Saints Row games will feel tonally similar, specifically 3 and 4. 

Edited by skotafactor
  • Like 2

1. Accounting+
  2. Birdcakes
  3. High On Life
  4. I Am Bread
  5. Jazzpunk
  6. Meme Run 2
  7. Mr. Massagy
  8. The My Name Is Mayo trilogy
  9. Octodad: Dadliest Catch
  10. Rainbows, Toilets & Unicorns
  11. Rick And Morty: Virtual Rick-ality
  12. Both Ubisoft published South Park games
    1. The Stick Of Truth followed by The Fractured But Whole
  13. Suicide Guy a.k.a. The Guy a.k.a. Sleepin’ Guy
    1. The first game followed by Sleepin’ Deeply
  14. Trover Saves The Universe
  15. Undertale

That’s about it from me…

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

I'd say...

Psychonauts 2

Cuphead

Toem

Sackboy's Big Adventure

Heavenly Bodies

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Untitled Goose Game

Chicory

Guardians of the Galaxy

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Accounting+

Flipping Death

The Artful Escape

Escape Plan

The Touryst

Void Bastards

RAD

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Rayman Origins / Legends

Guacamelee / Guacamelee 2

Super Time Force Ultra

Donut County

Vostok Inc.

Rogue Legacy

Everything

Jazzpunk

Grow Home

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

... all fall somewhere on the "goofy" spectrum!

• Like 2

I will definitely agree with Bugsnax being a very "goofy" game, same with Maneater, and It Takes Two

But honestly one of my favorite "games" that I would like to throw in here would be 428: Shibuya Scramble (I use game loosely because it is ultimately a visual novel but it is presented in such a goofy, over the top manner and I love it so much)

• Like 1

Punch Line - VN with adventure/gameplay elements, where you destroy the world if you look too long at panties (gameplaywise it is a little bit like Ghost Trick Phantom Detective).

The Bard`s Tale - PS 2 remaster of an action rpg/hack `n slay with musical numbers and really funny humor.

The Savior`s Gang - play as Jesus and try to guide your disciples through obstacle couses as you text with your father and Stan.

The Shantae series - A series of metroidvanias full of goofy characters. The complete series is good but the best one is the Pirates Curse.

Slide Stars - play as an "influencer" and guide him or her through different water slides (it`s a bit like the Trials series).

Zenith - action rpg with a lot of parodies of different rpg cliches and series.

Tembo the Badass Elephant - jump `n run about an elephant with rambo bandana who has to stop a terrorist organization

Guns, Gore and Cannoli 1 and 2 - jump ´n shoot about a mafia killer who has to deal with an zombie invasion.

Zombieland Double Tap: Road Trip - top down shooter with the same style of humor as the movies.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon -open world ego shooter that parodies the typical 80`s post apocalyptic sci fi action film.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes - it`s like Samurai Warriors, but the characters are(much more) exaggerated as in SW (for example: Tadakatsu Honda is a mech and Nobunaga Oda is a literal Demon King).

• Like 1