Dutch Girl Tweets Threat to American Airlines

cmgravekeeper

You do stupid shit you get in trouble for it. There is no defense for what she did. People need to stop babying teenagers because they don't understand. No, they understand, they're just smarter than bleeding hearts on the internet who think they're misunderstood. They're playing the system, we all knew that guy growing up, he could do anything and get away with it because he could sweet talk the teacher. Now the internet just increases the chances that idiots will come to these idiots' defenses because idiots have to stick together.

Beaver78.jpg

Most kids these days probably have no idea who that is but he is the perfect example. 

Parker

You do stupid shit you get in trouble for it. There is no defense for what she did. People need to stop babying teenagers because they don't understand. No, they understand, they're just smarter than bleeding hearts on the internet who think they're misunderstood. They're playing the system, we all knew that guy growing up, he could do anything and get away with it because he could sweet talk the teacher. Now the internet just increases the chances that idiots will come to these idiots' defenses because idiots have to stick together.

Yeah really dont understand why someone would defend what she did. This isnt just some innocent teenage mistake, she messaged an airline company claiming to be from a known terriost group and threaten to do something to them on a specific date. That is horrible and being 14 years old is definitely old enough to know this isnt funny and shouldnt be done. I mean what did she think was going to happen? Did she think American Airline was just going to laugh this off and continue on with their day?

There's a sincere difference between doing something instinctively stupid, and consciously deciding to type out out a message threatening an act of terrorism directly to an airline company. Her fingers weren't acting independently of her body as she typed that, after all, so it's a message that came from her own sordid, moronic mind. Also, she would've ran her eyes over the message after she typed it, then decided, "Yeah, looks good - I'll post it." 

She very clearly had a message she wanted to send, and she managed to fit in as many roundabout racial slurs as possible in such a short message: I'm 'Default Terrorist Name' from Afghanistan, therefore I must be a terrorist. 

So, from that I can draw this conclusion: Whomever send this message is intelligent, self-aware and sentient enough to type a particular message of which they know will get a response. That for me transcends a mere "stupid teen" moment; the whole thing just shows a distinct desire towards getting a certain response, which is the hallmark of having a very clear understanding of the world around you. 

I think as we age we like to think we were all stupid bastards when we were younger, but the truth is we weren't as stupid as we like to think we were. I remember the 14-year-old me very well, and I was far from fucking stupid. I would never dream of threatening a multitude of people while reincorporating racial stereotypes simultaneously - that requires a particular mix of stupidity and sentience. It's wrong on so many levels, and if my parents got wind of me doing anything remotely similar to this I would've gotten a firm slap across the arse, and deservedly so.

You do bring up some interesting points but there is a reason why there's a family court, why some adolescents are being sentenced as a juvenile and why drinking isn't recommended for those under the age of 21.

If you compare the life cycle of human beings to other species on this planet you will see that it takes approximately a third of an entire human life in order to be fully grown where as other animals are already full grown at 1/10 of their life cycle. Teenagers have underdeveloped brains and are impulsive, lack the ability to oversee the consequences of their actions and if this girl had known the impact her actions would have caused she might have thought twice before posting this silly Twitter message.

I wouldn't blame this on stupidity and I certainly wouldn't call this girl intelligent either I mean just look at the dumb messages she keeps posting on Twitter, its a matter of bad parenting and lack of morals and values. This girl is seeking out attention and now she finally has her 15 minutes of fame.

You do bring up some interesting points but there is a reason why there's a family court, why some adolescents are being sentenced as a juvenile and why drinking isn't recommended for those under the age of 21.

If you compare the life cycle of human beings to other species on this planet you will see that it takes approximately a third of an entire human life in order to be fully grown where as other animals are already full grown at 1/10 of their life cycle. Teenagers have underdeveloped brains and are impulsive, lack the ability to oversee the consequences of their actions and if this girl had known the impact her actions would have caused she might have thought twice before posting this silly Twitter message.

I wouldn't blame this on stupidity and I certainly wouldn't call this girl intelligent either I mean just look at the dumb messages she keeps posting on Twitter, its a matter of bad parenting and lack of morals and values. This girl is seeking out attention and now she finally has her 15 minutes of fame.

Well, the only thing preventing her from a possible jail term or a massive fine is her age. But I ask you this: If she were a week away from her eighteenth birthday and she made these comments, would you argue the same point? A mere numerical value imposed on a person does not correspond accurately to that person's intellect, emotional intelligence, their life experience or if they play guitar. Everyone develops a vastly different rates, but she is developed and mature enough to send a very particular type of message - a message she knows'll get a massive response. And because of that, she should be held accountable according to her own intellectual standards, not a general consensus of "this age means you're this developed." A case-by-case basis, essentially. 

I think that using the whole "she's only fourteen" argument just brushes over what the real problem is, and it's far too much of a generalisation of the problem. People do not develop in such clear, precise stages. For example, if some dude turns 18-years-old, it doesn't mean he can give an informed vote and consume alcohol responsibly, even if his age allows him the privileges of voting and drinking alcohol.

By the way, I do agree with you with a good few things, bud, so don't get me wrong in thinking I completely disagree with you. I just think it's an interesting discussion. She is clearly far from the finished article in terms of intellectual development, but I just don't think she should be treated as a mindless, hormone-driven, impulsive teenager, when she's had 14 years life experience. Come to think of it that's longer than most cats live, and they have nine lives. 

Edited by Gotakibono
  • Like 3

Its American Airlines

I'm assuming DeathNyx is referring to how American Airlines have reacted to this.

Ahh understood. Though I can't see how else American Airlines would react to that. As an airlines company you can't take any potential threat lightly, even if it's a joke. Plus in my opinion more than anything the arrest, assuming its temporary, sets a standard that similar jokes like that in the future will not be taken lightly.

• Like 1

OMG how stupid can you get :facepalm: . "I'm a white girl" yeah like that's a valid argument for not being a terrorist :shakefist: .

Yeah, nothing even close to the level of stupidity of this. The only things I ever did that were stupid ended with me hurting myself, I've never threatened to hurt or kill anyone else.

She is 14 years old, that really isn't what I'd consider young anymore. She knows (or should know) the difference between right and wrong and I stand by my previous statement. 

Parker

Don't be so dramatic. Obviously I don't think she literally needs to get the shit slapped out of her but she definitely needs to be punished, very strictly. If this were my kid, the police would be the least of her worries, I can guarantee you that.  

Oh, and I called her a dumb bitch, not a stupid bitch. 

Parker

Yeah unfortunately this is Holland where you get 3-5 years (in a private cell fully equipped with a radio, desk and whatnot) for murder and you can get an early release for "good behaviour". So I seriously doubt she will get a severe punishment from the authorities. We really need more severe punishments. Also according to the Dutch law parents are fully responsible for their children's actions up until the age of 15. At 16 years it becomes a grey area.

Ahh understood. Though I can't see how else American Airlines would react to that. As an airlines company you can't take any potential threat lightly, even if it's a joke. Plus in my opinion more than anything the arrest, assuming its temporary, sets a standard that similar jokes like that in the future will not be taken lightly.

True, but i don't think Al Qaeda tweets about its next move lol. They just exaggerated with that girl.

True, but i don't think Al Qaeda tweets about its next move lol. They just exaggerated with that girl.

Yeah, but historically Al Qaeda aren't opposed to the odd propaganda-fueled video blog. 

The medium in which the message was sent is besides the point. Would you rather an airline company ignore a direct threat with a specific date attached? Hypothetically speaking, if this threat was real and on June 1st a catastrophic incident occurred which resulted in the deaths of many people, how grossly incompetent would it look for the company if the threat was made months in advance on their Twitter page and they decided not to investigate it?   

There is no way to over exaggerate the possible deaths of hundreds of customers, no matter how empty the threat may be perceived to be. The reaction of American Airlines isn't the issue here, it's the fact a 14-year-old gave them something to react to.

• Like 2

When someone hijacks planes and kills thousands of innocent people in your country, you tend to take someone threatening to do that very same thing again pretty seriously. Honestly, it is pretty sickening that you think the airline is overreacting when there are potentially thousands of lives at risk. 

Parker

• Like 1

Well, the only thing preventing her from a possible jail term or a massive fine is her age. But I ask you this: If she were a week away from her eighteenth birthday and she made these comments, would you argue the same point? A mere numerical value imposed on a person does not correspond accurately to that person's intellect, emotional intelligence, their life experience or if they play guitar. Everyone develops a vastly different rates, but she is developed and mature enough to send a very particular type of message - a message she knows'll get a massive response. And because of that, she should be held accountable according to her own intellectual standards, not a general consensus of "this age means you're this developed." A case-by-case basis, essentially. 

I think that using the whole "she's only fourteen" argument just brushes over what the real problem is, and it's far too much of a generalisation of the problem. People do not develop in such clear, precise stages. For example, if some dude turns 18-years-old, it doesn't mean he can give an informed vote and consume alcohol responsibly, even if his age allows him the privileges of voting and drinking alcohol.

By the way, I do agree with you with a good few things, bud, so don't get me wrong in thinking I completely disagree with you. I just think it's an interesting discussion. She is clearly far from the finished article in terms of intellectual development, but I just don't think she should be treated as a mindless, hormone-driven, impulsive teenager, when she's had 14 years life experience. Come to think of it that's longer than most cats live, and they have nine lives. 

It depends on the case, age is all relative really. You are right who's to say a 17 year old can't be more mature and responsible than a 20 year old. Numerous factors play a role and all have to be taken into account. Legislation has to offer some sort of security and control, therefore whoever crosses the line has to face the consequences. Punishment is not meant to get back at someone, its a method of preventing people breaking the law and if laws are being broken, appropriate repercussions are in order.

Do we really want to send a child to prison for being an idiot and having a poor sense of humour between the violent criminals and sex offenders? Seems like a pretty severe punishment to me for just a silly joke and is not something we ought to strive for. Whether the girl is 14 years old or 19, the only thing this girl is guilty of is poor judgement and making racist comments which in this case is no crime. Hopefully a day at the police station has given her some time to think about what's happened and she'll refrain from making terrorists jokes in the future.

That said, personally I think she needs to be punished hard but this is the parents' responsibility and not the legal system's. A fine would be totally mute as she doesn't have an income and the parents will have to pay for it so community service is the right way to go. You can't expect the government to just let it slide, it sends out the message that it's okay to make threats like this and you can get away with it. I'm curious to see what the court will come up with.

About the being young and stupid topic, a year ago some kids between the age of 15-17 got into an argument during a football match with one of the referees. They literally stomped him to death and the day after he collapsed and succumbed to his injuries. Six boys were sentenced to 2-6 years of juvenile detention for man slaughter due to the fact they were all minors and one adult went to prison. What really bothers me in this case was the brutality and the amount of excessive force that was used, the referee, a father of 2 kids and a husband, was kicked to death while crying on the floor begging for mercy. They repeatedly kicked him in his head and stomped him in the chest, he was slaughtered like an animal and no one did a damn thing about it.

If you have a good lawyer like those boys did, medical records indicated the victim had a rare heart condition and the lawyer argued that since the victim deceased the next day its impossible to determine exactly what the C.O.D was. All of the defendants pointed the finger at one another, they were all minors and it was impossible to tell who had dealt the fatal blow that killed the poor man, hypothetically speaking something could have happened to the man's heart and if he didn't have this heart condition he would have survived his injuries from the fight. Each and every one of the defendants invoked their right of silence, all admitted to having dealt maybe a kick or two but it was never their intention to kill the man and because of their young age they were sentenced to a juvenile correctional facility. When I look at this case, the severe amount of violence that was used was so horrifying, these boys should have been sentenced as adults but the court disagreed. :(

Edited by Goekie
  • Like 2

Anyways I responded to this already in the Humour Picture Thread but here we go again

I actually hope they don't go easy on her. There has already been 1 copycat and there will be more if there is no consequences. I know that sounds harsh but I think these "white" "girls" (as she kept tweeting) need to learn that the Internet isn't just their playground. Also the fact that she kept posting "I'm white" over and over makes me sick. What can only "towel-headed sand lovers" be terrorists (sorry I have actually heard people in 2014 use that expression...it makes me sick). I don't want her locked up for 10 years but send her to jail for 6 months or at least fine her family like 5000$ to really send a message.

When someone hijacks planes and kills thousands of innocent people in your country, you tend to take someone threatening to do that very same thing again pretty seriously. Honestly, it is pretty sickening that you think the airline is overreacting when there are potentially thousands of lives at risk. 

Parker

If they consider every single joke like this as a potential threat they are a bunch of dumbasses. In any case no one believe these jokes only them.

If they consider every single joke like this as a potential threat they are a bunch of dumbasses. In any case no one believe these jokes only them.

Would you not react if someone directly threatened your life? would you laugh because you assume its a joke or would you call the police? Lets not forget that this was a threat against potentially hundreds of civilians. The airlines' reaction was completely justifiable, theres no point to argue that.

• Like 2

Yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre as loudly as you can. Actually better idea, go up to the American Airlines desk and yell that you are going to blow them up because you're from a terrorist organization. Then tell them you were joking. Let me know what happens.

Terrorist organizations have been known to publicly state that they will make attacks. Also, a big part of the Secret Service and FBI's job is going through all the threats, you can't tell intention and you shouldn't risk lives just because it appears something is some way or another. It's easy to say something's a joke if nothing happens. If someone makes a threat and something does happen nobody's going to be laughing and it can actually be criminal on your part. See the Tarasoff vs Regents of the University of California case if you want an example.

• Like 1

I've done some stupid stuff at 14,but not anything like this :facepalm:

If you do stupid stuff like this girl,you deserve to be called a dumbass or stupid bitch :angry:

How can she be so stupid to tweet this "joke"?

They need to punish her by holding a sign saying "I'm a dumbass for tweeting a terrorist "joke"