The Last of Us 2: Remastered listed on Naughty Dog dev’s LinkedIn

breakXedge

On 10/17/2023 at 3:22 AM, ligersmen said:

It's so sad seeing that PlayStation has come a point where they just try to make money out of remakes and remasters. I could understand why they would do this with games that have 10-15 years and many people (including myself) didn't have the chance back then to enjoy them because we were either too young or had little money, but not only they don't care about the older games at all but also nowadays you could go to a store and buy the newer ones without much problem, and the gameplay experience would be the exact same...

Lol people always paint PlayStation as desperate when they’re leading the market. They aren’t just making money from remakes and remasters, I mean they’ve got Spider-man 2 coming up. Not to mention the various exclusives they’ve released this generation. They’re doing fine. I see nothing bad about Remakes or remasters. 

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 12:03 PM, Slava said:

Not saying this as a counter-point, since there are a few differences, but I just remembered that PS3 era had some similar examples.

God of War 2 was released early in 2007 for PS2, and was re-released as a part of the remaster collection in late 2009 for PS3. 2.5 years after the launch. 

I'm little surprised that no one seems to have mentioned yet that The Last of Us Remastered was released 1 year after the PS3 version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Treilio said:

I'm little surprised that no one seems to have mentioned yet that The Last of Us Remastered was released 1 year after the PS3 version.

In that particular case it made sense because of the technical limitations of the PS3, the lack of backwards compatibility, the launch of the Left Behind DLC... But for Part II it's just a cash grab: they aren't going to add multiplayer and you can already play the game on PS5 at 60fps.

2 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol people always paint PlayStation as desperate when they’re leading the market. They aren’t just making money from remakes and remasters, I mean they’ve got Spider-man 2 coming up. Not to mention the various exclusives they’ve released this generation. They’re doing fine. I see nothing bad about Remakes or remasters. 

The thing is that some studios are currently developing remakes / remasters and new IPs / sequels at the same time, which means that both of these games would release later than expected. And in the case of Naughty Dog, we've had the TLOU Remake and in the near future a TLOU2 Remastered and still no information about Factions 2 or the third part...

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 12:03 PM, Slava said:

Not saying this as a counter-point, since there are a few differences, but I just remembered that PS3 era had some similar examples.

God of War 2 was released early in 2007 for PS2, and was re-released as a part of the remaster collection in late 2009 for PS3. 2.5 years after the launch. 

Later versions of ps3 did not have backwards compatibility with ps2 games, and god of war 2 remastered (with 60 fps) came bundled with gow 1 (which was also remastered with 60 fps).

Not only does ps4 games are playable in ps5, tlou 2 in particular already has a ps5 upgrade making it run at 60 fps.

This remaster is pointless.

Just now, Fiercethetear said:

Later versions of ps3 did not have backwards compatibility with ps2 games, and god of war 2 remastered (with 60 fps) came bundled with gow 1 (which was also remastered with 60 fps).

Not only does ps4 games are playable in ps5, tlou 2 in particular already has a ps5 upgrade making it run at 60 fps.

Edited by Fiercethetear
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Treilio said:

This and PS3 remasters are awful comparisons. TLOU was remastered on a system that lacked backwards compatibility. That alone is a big difference.

Then- The remastered version also doubled the framerate (while original TLOU"PII" already received a patch including 60fps on PS5), which the multiplayer benefitted from greatly with a considerably more fluid experience and extended lifetime unlike the Uncharted series' multiplayer components and original TLOU factions on PS3 that were shutdown (TLOU"PII" multiplayer component was ditched late-development despite its promised inclusion and thus no similar beneficial thing will happen in its remaster), and was priced fairly (unlike TLOU"PII" remastered that is likely not to be, especially in Naughty Dog's case with several financial related messes they've been making over the years). Whatever else.

Really, the aforementioned MP benefits alone justified the 2014 remaster (doubled framerate, extended lifespan, expanded playerbase, and unified queuing since every owner had all the maps now). TLOU"PII" is already an enhanced experience on PS5. If they're especially going to re-release this as a more standard remaster with no substantial new story content, it'll make it feel that much more insignificant and redundant alongside playing it on PS5 and especially compared to the higher efforts going into director cuts with other games.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2023 at 3:44 AM, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol well that’s definitely not the case. Just because they’re doing a port/remaster you think they’re creatively bankrupt? Wow, just wow. 

It more or less is the best game ever, sorry for you. It definitely deserved game of the year, where as Ghost of Tsushima was so standard I don’t even think it was close to Last of Us Part 2 in terms of quality. You’re wrong. 

Lol $40? Why would they charge so little for it? That’s just stupid. Just because you think a remaster is easy to make doesn’t mean it is. I’d pay full price for it because that’s what it deserves. 

This is called an industry, every game is a “cash grab”. Stupidest phrase ever. 

I can not wait to play Game of The Year 2020 over again. 

Lol I'm wrong? No, I'm not, because it's called an opinion. Stop being a fanboy.

On 10/18/2023 at 8:45 PM, Fiercethetear said:

Who is the remaster pointless to though? Everybody? Or just people who had already played the game?  Shouldn't people who haven't played the game, or were too young, but now have a PS5 and have the opportunity to play in its best form on console with any upgrades a PS5 can give. Not talking about just 60fps, obviously.  Wouldn't it be kind of selfish of me to say to those people they can't have a better version because I already played the PS4 version so you should too, and look, you even get 60fps and this is the best this game will ever look or perform as far as you're concerned, etc.  I feel some gamers need to look a bit beyond themselves.  If it's not for you it's not for you, that's all.

Edited by Virtua_Vince
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Virtua_Vince said:

I feel some gamers need to look a bit beyond themselves.  If it's not for you it's not for you, that's all.

I do not think that is all. I would rather prefer is Naughty dog allocated that budget elsewhere, you know, innovating in new franchises or developing sequels to their legacy IPs. People have been crying for new Jak and Daxter games for years for example, instead of Naughty dog milking the TLOU IP.

Despite some of its issues with story and its pacing, TLOU II is one of my favourite game, and it is without a doubt one of if not the best looking game I have ever played. At this point, I dont see the need for a remaster, that is all. Surely I will play it again for the experience of getting trophies again, but will only buy it second hand at a heavily reduced price, beacuse imo you are only supporting lazy practices in the industry if you are doing otherwise.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 8:50 PM, Virtua_Vince said:

Who is the remaster pointless to though? Everybody? Or just people who had already played the game?  Shouldn't people who haven't played the game, or were too young, but now have a PS5 and have the opportunity to play in its best form on console with any upgrades a PS5 can give. Not talking about just 60fps, obviously.  Wouldn't it be kind of selfish of me to say to those people they can't have a better version because I already played the PS4 version so you should too, and look, you even get 60fps and this is the best this game will ever look or perform as far as you're concerned, etc.  I feel some gamers need to look a bit beyond themselves.  If it's not for you it's not for you, that's all.

It's not going to look any bloody different.

Also, are people really that snobby about games now, that they've got a PS5 they can't "lower themselves" to play a PS4 game? Even one that has been updated to perform better on the PS5?

On 11/6/2023 at 2:50 PM, Virtua_Vince said:

I feel some gamers need to look a bit beyond themselves.  If it's not for you it's not for you, that's all.

Yes and no. I absolutely agree that if a game isn't for you, then it isn't for you.

But the whole point of threads (and, honestly, sites) like this is to discuss opinions on games, whether that opinion be positive or negative. It seems wrongheaded to complain that gamers are complaining about a remaster...in a thread about that remaster...on a site devoted to games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yes and no. I absolutely agree that if a game isn't for you, then it isn't for you.

But the whole point of threads (and, honestly, sites) like this is to discuss opinions on games, whether that opinion be positive or negative. It seems wrongheaded to complain that gamers are complaining about a remaster...in a thread about that remaster...on a site devoted to games.

I just happened to have my own opinion about people who think the remaster of TLOU2 is unnecessary, as expressed in my post.  Call it "complaining" as you please.  Threads aren't all about being one point of view. If you disagreed with my view that's fine.  I personally wouldn't describe views on a public forum that are different than mine as complaining, though.  Just... more opinions on a subject.

Edited by Virtua_Vince