The Last of Us 2: Remastered listed on Naughty Dog dev’s LinkedIn

breakXedge

On 10/8/2023 at 8:05 AM, Ninjise said:

Why not making a Jax and Daxter remakes you cowards, or at least a proper remaster and not some cheap ports.

Jak 4: The Legend Of Mar

C’mon dog, quit being naughty and make it happen!

Edited by Dry

Ha, with all the whining, people don’t seem to understand that as consumers they get to decide whether to purchase it or not.  Don’t want it?  Don’t buy it.  Only want it severely discounted?  Wait for a big sale down the road.  YOU get to decide when the price point is right for you.

You also have to remember that a lot of PS5 gamers are new to the PlayStation family while others may’ve been too young to play a mature game when it was first released. 

For the record, I don’t think I’d play this but who knows maybe at $10 way down the road.  I still haven’t gone back to do the Grounded/Permadeath run(s).  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, djb5f said:

You also have to remember that a lot of PS5 gamers are new to the PlayStation family while others may’ve been too young to play a mature game when it was first released.

Wouldn’t it be better if SIE were green-lighting remasters of first party games from pre PS4 (as 99% of games released to that console are playable on PS5 via backwards compatibility) instead of just offering them to premium subscribers of PS Plus to stream (talking specifically about PS3 releases)? Oh and BTW there are still a number of countries where streaming PS3 games isn’t an option for no good excuse, mine included. Heck, even if I could stream 7th gen. content with a deluxe subscription I likely wouldn’t anyway as internet quality down under cannot be fully trusted due to telco monopoly and to no surprise, politics.

14 minutes ago, kenet_jose said:

Neil Druckmann isn't fitted to be the sole decision maker in my view. And the fact he didn't credit Straley in TLOU TV Series changed my perception of him

“ND” serves as both an acronym for the studio and Neil’s initials. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Any piece of popular media that is a masterpiece of its genre tends to be subject to multiple re-releases, (and often minor tinkering by its creator) - as well as continual remastering for new technology.

Stanley Kubrick was famously still tinkering with colour-balancing on 2001: A Space Odyssey like 30 years after its original cinematic release. 

Francis Ford Coppola was still making changes and remasters and minor alterations to The Godfather trilogy for decades after release - hell, that director's cut version of Part III came out only a couple of years ago.

Look at how many versions of Bladerunner, or Terminator 2: Judgement Day or Star Wars exist - and across how many different media - I'd wager someone could buy 30 different versions of all of them on different formats, and in different theatrical cuts!

It's the nature of the beast - and I don't think it represents anything nefarious or sleazy necessarily.

It doesn't mean anyone is forced (or even expected) to buy every single version - enthusiasts and hardened fans will, and that's cool - but the re-releases and new versions are there to continue to feed the desire for the art as time goes on, and to support the continued enthusiasm for the work.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

People who are puzzled by this apparently don't understand how game development studios usually work.

They have

[1 pre-production / design team] - who work on a new game and they have

[2 coders, asset creators] - who can't contribute to a new game until pre-production is finished.

So they either tinker with an existing product (remakes, remasters) or slap together some low effort spinoff (like Capcom's multiplayer RE-spinoffs), or unnecessary DLCs. A new game nowadays can be in pre-production for 3+ years and it usually makes sense to get some extra money in any kind of way, I guess Naughty Dog doesn't want to create DLCs without their core designers.

Yes. Its a cash grab, but its the Last of Us Franchise, its Naughty Dog and Three Days ago i got my 9000th Trophy and my 200 Plat with the Last of us 2 Plat Trophy… and now i know what to do for my 10000th Trophy and 300 Plat.

Does anyone think its stupid? Sure

Do i care? No 😄

I’ll probably end up playing it, because I love the franchise.

It’s nice to know that some developers are not focusing on developing innovative and new content. I’m relieved that in the current generation of consoles, some of the developers I truly love have invested in polishing old content. 

*For those wondering, everything but the first statement was dripping with sarcasm. 😉

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 6:10 PM, The Alchemist said:

This will absolutely be releasing for PC, so it makes sense to upgrade the console version at the same time so there is parity. Having a native PS5 version just makes sense. It's happened with other PlayStation exclusives too, so it's not in any way surprising or unexpected.

There aren't many PS4 exclusives left that can get this treatment though. God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are the only ones I can think of, and God of War is already on PC, whilst a HZD remake has been rumoured. Bloodborne too, but that's a meme as this stage. 

i wonder why any pc players would even play tlou 2 that game got spoiled everywhere Surely there wont be a market for it on pc

That's hilarious and makes me even more glad that I never bought a PS5.

Literally 90% of the PS5 games are also on PS4, and the PS5 is backwards compatible with the PS4, so this remaster is nothing more than a cash grab once again.

Feels like this entire console generation is mainly just remasters and remakes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

That's hilarious and makes me even more glad that I never bought a PS5.

Literally 90% of the PS5 games are also on PS4, and the PS5 is backwards compatible with the PS4, so this remaster is nothing more than a cash grab once again.

Feels like this entire console generation is mainly just remasters and remakes.

PS4 had tons, as did the Xbox One.

I suppose with those consoles it made more sense because PS4 has no backwards compatibility and Xbox One didn't get backwards compatibility until 2015.

The bigger issue I suppose is pricing. The Last of Us Part 1 is more or less a graphical remake with accessibility and DualSense features (but no multiplayer). It's a $40 release or so, not the $70 they priced it at. 

Red Dead Redemption might include all the Undead Nightmare content but has no multiplayer and it's more an up-ressed port than a full remaster. It's a $30-$40 release, not $50. 

The Last of Us Part II Remastered better get pricing right. $40 sounds relatively reasonable. 

On 10/7/2023 at 2:45 AM, Viper said:

I mean sure, we've all heard the controversy. But I never let that sway me, as frankly I don't know what to believe...either the game is woke garbage or people are being transphobic or it's best game in the world. I don't have a problem with Trans people, and the "everything is woke because it focused on a woman" thing isn't a narrative I really worry about in my entertainment. My reason for not playing it right away was because I wasn't completely in love with the first game like most people are (Uncharted > TLoU IMO)...so the sequel was always going to be something I had to be in the mood for, but then I took long enough that I just realized a PS5 version was likely inevitable and if I haven't played the PS4 version yet, then might as well play the best version of it when it comes. 

If anything, I'm more interested in playing it BECAUSE of the controversy than because it's The Last of Us, wanting to see what all the drama is really about, but being pretty sure it's overblown as usual.

Take it from someone (me) who has beaten it no less than 5 times, one the original difficulty, then survivor, then Grounded, then Grounded+, and did a final playthrough for shits and giggles. The game is not woke garbage. There is maybe 10 minutes total of anything blatantly LGBTQ on display over the course of a nearly 30 hour game. The most in your face gay thing is Ellie and Dina making out for like 30 seconds. 

It isn't woke. But it is nowhere near the best game ever. I beat it 5 times and I am still extremely ambivalent about it. I don't think it deserved GOTY and it certainly didn't deserve to beat Ghost of Tsushima. 

In the end, you have to make the decision whether or not to play it. Maybe you'll end up loving it. A lot of people did. I wasn't one of them, but i didn't hate it.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 3:09 PM, RedDevil757 said:

They are creatively bankrupt now that the best people have left the company

I fear the same for Rockstar games too

Lol well that’s definitely not the case. Just because they’re doing a port/remaster you think they’re creatively bankrupt? Wow, just wow. 

5 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Take it from someone (me) who has beaten it no less than 5 times, one the original difficulty, then survivor, then Grounded, then Grounded+, and did a final playthrough for shits and giggles. The game is not woke garbage. There is maybe 10 minutes total of anything blatantly LGBTQ on display over the course of a nearly 30 hour game. The most in your face gay thing is Ellie and Dina making out for like 30 seconds. 

It isn't woke. But it is nowhere near the best game ever. I beat it 5 times and I am still extremely ambivalent about it. I don't think it deserved GOTY and it certainly didn't deserve to beat Ghost of Tsushima. 

In the end, you have to make the decision whether or not to play it. Maybe you'll end up loving it. A lot of people did. I wasn't one of them, but i didn't hate it.

It more or less is the best game ever, sorry for you. It definitely deserved game of the year, where as Ghost of Tsushima was so standard I don’t even think it was close to Last of Us Part 2 in terms of quality. You’re wrong. 

On 10/9/2023 at 2:10 PM, ChiefMichigan said:

PS4 had tons, as did the Xbox One.

I suppose with those consoles it made more sense because PS4 has no backwards compatibility and Xbox One didn't get backwards compatibility until 2015.

The bigger issue I suppose is pricing. The Last of Us Part 1 is more or less a graphical remake with accessibility and DualSense features (but no multiplayer). It's a $40 release or so, not the $70 they priced it at. 

Red Dead Redemption might include all the Undead Nightmare content but has no multiplayer and it's more an up-ressed port than a full remaster. It's a $30-$40 release, not $50. 

The Last of Us Part II Remastered better get pricing right. $40 sounds relatively reasonable. 

Lol $40? Why would they charge so little for it? That’s just stupid. Just because you think a remaster is easy to make doesn’t mean it is. I’d pay full price for it because that’s what it deserves. 

On 10/9/2023 at 4:20 AM, Hako300922 said:

Yes. Its a cash grab, but its the Last of Us Franchise, its Naughty Dog and Three Days ago i got my 9000th Trophy and my 200 Plat with the Last of us 2 Plat Trophy… and now i know what to do for my 10000th Trophy and 300 Plat.

Does anyone think its stupid? Sure

Do i care? No 😄

This is called an industry, every game is a “cash grab”. Stupidest phrase ever. 

I can not wait to play Game of The Year 2020 over again.