Dificulty Rating Section

CabDK

31 minutes ago, CabDK said:

now that .org is completely dead its even more relevant.

Weren't all the difficulty and time to platinum polls on that site flooded with trolls rating everything either 1/10 or 10/10?

I personally think looking at the stats for each game is more accurate; simply look at the completion percentages and the fastest overall 100% completion times.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Weren't all the difficulty and time to platinum polls on that site flooded with trolls rating everything either 1/10 or 10/10?

I personally think looking at the stats for each game is more accurate; simply look at the completion percentages and the fastest overall 100% completion times.

That's always the inherent problem with those systems. People vote 1/10 or 10/10 not because they agree, but because they're trying to shift the average score in the direction they want. That's why I think it's kinda pointless to implement. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Yes.

Those kind of systems only work if it’s blind voting - but I can’t imagine there’s any value to the stat if you can only see it after 

A. S-Ranking the game

and

B.  Voting yourself. 

8 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Yes they were, but the point here is that you acturally have to have earned the plat or 100% so if you want to troll you have to get the plat first. Just like with the reporting system where you have to have the game, in this case you have to have the game and the plat.

Edit: I play a lot of games with very few owners and i go in blind or with little information from friends all the time. For me personally it would be interesting to have more date, that is pretty much it.

Edited by CabDK
  • Like 1

This has been requested multiple times over the years and shot down each and every time. Personally, I like the time and difficulty polls on .org and would fully support them coming here but it takes quite a while for the numbers to even out and become even remotely useful, which is a big problem for the older and more niche games :(.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yes.

Those kind of systems only work if it’s blind voting - but I can’t imagine there’s any value to the stat if you can only see it after 

A. S-Ranking the game

and

B.  Voting yourself. 

I completely agree. Someone at some point does need to play the game and complete it to rate it. I would rather look at the stats to see what is hard on the list. Even then, sometimes you just need to jump in headfirst.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

I completely agree. Someone at some point does need to play the game and complete it to rate it. I would rather look at the stats to see what is hard on the list. Even then, sometimes you just need to jump in headfirst.

Of course, stats, rarity, fastest achievers is great for estimating dificulty, I just can't see a problem with having the extra data.

I would also point out that it would be a sad state of affairs if the site were to implement a publicly voted “difficulty rating” before implementing an equivalent “how good is this game” rating….

I mean…

…even True Trophies is at least more interested in how much I liked a game than in how hard I thought it was…

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I can't vote on Crypt of the Necrodancer being 10/10 until I platinum Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Sounds perfect.

Yea we need one million votes from people without the Crypt plat to know it's a 10. Better to have a lot of trolls voting in every poll.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, CabDK said:

I think it would be an awesome feature and I'm sure a lot of people would agree. I am not a software engineer or anything, but because PSNP pulls it's data from Sony servers I assume it would be easy to make a dificulty section for each game, where only people who has the platinum or 100% can vote in the poll. I'm not suggesting that it should be implemented in the trophy guides, but having a section with people who has the platinum can rate the game would be a very nice feature. It could be placed in the right side with Series/Stacks, I've wanted a feature like this for a long time and now that .org is completely dead its even more relevant.

I second this. There was a guy who frequently gave low ratings to hard games like Silent Hill 2 and Catherine: Full Body without getting the hardest trophies, let alone the plat. It always annoyed me.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Yuber6969 said:

I second this. There was a guy who frequently gave low ratings to hard games like Silent Hill 2 and Catherine: Full Body without getting the hardest trophies, let alone the plat. It always annoyed me.

Sorry I misunderstod. Yes I think it would be a cool feature. Obviously there should also be a comment section.

Edited by CabDK
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, Helyx said:

I can't vote on Crypt of the Necrodancer being 10/10 until I platinum Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Sounds perfect.

Unironically, actually. If it has no reviews, newcomers know immediately.

You've selected the most absurd outlier to argue against a feature. Could be worth considering tens of thousands of other games where this might be worth something. And as other users have pointed out, you can choose to ignore if you find it the feature to be frivolous.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 1:50 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I would also point out that it would be a sad state of affairs if the site were to implement a publicly voted “difficulty rating” before implementing an equivalent “how good is this game” rating….

I mean…

…even True Trophies is at least more interested in how much I liked a game than in how hard I thought it was…

Personally, enjoying a game is my most important metric. Who wants to play a difficult game that is a steaming pile of crap? No matter how difficult a game is, I won’t play it if it is a disaster of a product. If a game is considered by all to be a masterpiece, of course I’ll consider doing it. I’ve always said I’m a gamer before a trophy hunter. 

On 10/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, CabDK said:

Of course, stats, rarity, fastest achievers is great for estimating dificulty, I just can't see a problem with having the extra data.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you. I just don’t think people that haven’t completed a game can have an accurate opinion of how difficult it is as a whole. There is a difference between a game having a reputation for being difficult and actually knowing firsthand that it is difficult.

I always have liked this idea, even if trolls want to vote 1 or 10 its kind of easy to see where most votes are and you can ignore them, I liked the polls of .org

Even on the Difficulty Archives thread there is people trying to debunk everything, but having an average idea of difficulty is good at least for me.

I know people wont agree but this is a trophy site, there is a lot of other sites that tells you if a game is fun or good with scores of professional reviewers and users, so I dont see any problem if here they only ask me if a trophy list is hard or not.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I always have liked this idea, even if trolls want to vote 1 or 10 its kind of easy to see where most votes are and you can ignore them, I liked the polls of .org

I respect your opinion, but I still believe this feature would benefit the most from people that have fully played the game. With every new game comes the inevitable trophy thoughts thread. I have no problem with difficulty speculation and reputation being discussed in those threads. I simply don’t trust an opinion based on little to no experience with something in gaming or life. I think everyone is entitled to have an opinion, even if it is baseless, but I don’t think we should embrace those kinds of opinions. I’m of course not referring to your opinion @DeepEyes7 that you shared in your post. I’m speaking specifically about game difficulty. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fiercethetear said:

Average difficulty rating was one of the better features of the other site and it would be great to see it implemented here. It is definitely better than single guide writer's view imo

The number of trolls who vote 1s and 10s is far lower than people who vote reasonably.

Troll votes would not be an issue with this system, because you must have the plat or 100%

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, CabDK said:

Troll votes would not be an issue with this system, because you must have the plat or 100%

I mean they can still give 10s just to increase the difficulty perception of their beloved platinums, rather than the actual difficulty of the game.

But like I said these people are a tiny fraction.

Nonetheless having to have plat or 100% prerequisite is a good idea, I remember many people on the other site commenting that they voted just after looking at the trophy list lol

Edited by Fiercethetear

44 minutes ago, CabDK said:

This is the only part I disagree with on an otherwise sound suggestion.

I've played many games where I haven't got the plat/100% yet could still fairly advise on how difficult it would be to get said plat/100%. I think a fairer criteria would either be time played (though this has issues when shorter games are involved) or a benchmark amount of trophies obtained (i.e. around or better than the average completion amount. So if a game has 10% average completion and you have say 8%+ you can vote).

Having one person - the guide creator - as sole difficulty advisor isn't helpful, especially when I've seen guide creators stick to their difficulty rating against public opinion in the comments of their guide. Having more votes is always going to be more beneficial than a single vote.

There will always be difficulties with opinion-based metrics, but that doesn't mean they can't on the whole be useful, provided the majority are fairly voting. You could even look at implementing a vote+reason, so you have to leave a few words on why you've voted that difficulty. Even look at adding a few staff similar to cheater removal team who could approve the comments/ratings to ensure they aren't troll ones.

There's definitely merit in trying to pursue this on a site that wants to help people with trophies, and to add more to the place as a community hub (instead of people having to go to other sites to get this feature).

Edited by Nauticus87
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nauticus87 said:

Having one person - the guide creator - as sole difficulty advisor isn't helpful, especially when I've seen guide creators stick to their difficulty rating against public opinion in the comments of their guide. Having more votes is always going to be more beneficial than a single vote.

I sometimes wonder why anyone bothers to be a guide creator - it seems like a thankless task...

...every comment I ever see about them is along the lines of "What does this chump know about the difficulty of this game?!" 😂

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1