Should I even start this game?

I-Chipp-I

I remember playing this game on my old account a while ago (haven't played in like 1-2 years and only got to the beginning of stormblood) and thought about starting fresh on this one acc and going for the plat and maybe even 100% 

I am very aware that 100% will likely never happen but I guess my question is should I even start this game with the plat mindset?

I'd be playing solo for the majority of it so I'm not sure how that will affect the late game stuff but I'm really worried about the possible year long commitment and how draining it might be. Thoughts on what I should do?

As someone that shares the same idea of plating the game, one thing I'll tell you it is going to be very draining and grinding, especially the grind part, the plat is not that hard (speaking regarding the ps4 list) however there's so much grinding and boredness that will test your limits of how much you can play without going crazy. This a game (and plat) where you really want to take several breaks and enjoy what it has to offer, don't let the plat consume you or you won't have a fun time. 

For the 100%, that would be borderline insanity, just don't unless you don't have anything else to do, that's all I'll say.

Edited by Ninjise

The only thing that you will need to do with others for the plat are the 24-player raids. The rest you can do all by yourself. You should be fine to 100% Heavensward and Stormblood and possibly Shadowbringers after the new expansion is released (not sure if we can solo E12S or not).

Edited by RoastedPeanut

If you're a 100% completionist, absolutely not. If you just wanna play it for the experience, absolutely yes. If you want the platinum...check out the trophy guide and decide for yourself. It's very long and there's some insane grinds in there, but overall it's a very fun game. 

The platinum is not difficult, just very grindy. You will need 6 months of timegates for the leves.

The 100% is a 10/10 difficulty.

However, I don't think anyone should play an MMO just for trophies. If you want to play the game and enjoy it, with trophies coming second, then I implore you to play it. It is a fantastic game.

Edited by Griffon234
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, marius_maximus said:

As a Final Fantasy fan, trophy hunter and (partially) completionist, I can only confirm what other players said here. I’ve platted PS4 version and I’d NEVER ever consider go for the 100% in PS5. It’s not difficult at all, but the grind is tough (to say the least).

Good luck!

The 100% is actually pretty damn hard now thanks to the solo deep dungeon trophies (PotD, HoH, and EO). 

Regardless, if you start this, pick the PS4 version. You'll thank yourself later. 

19 hours ago, I-Chipp-I said:

I remember playing this game on my old account a while ago (haven't played in like 1-2 years and only got to the beginning of stormblood) and thought about starting fresh on this one acc and going for the plat and maybe even 100% 

Platinum is a time investment, you won't feel challenged by the platinum, you'll just be slogging away on repetitive tasks like grinding fates, collectables, etc. For me I didn't mind it, then again I've been playing this game for close to 6-7 years so when they added the trophies I wasn't far off from the reqs.

As far as 100% goes, the trophies you see currently are nowhere near complete (and even so it's already a 10/10 difficulty) if the director of the game is to be believed you should check back on what the 100% requires roughly 10 years from now when he's done adding to the list. Obviously that timeline is subject to change but currently that is what he has said about it.

I think it depends on what kind of gamer you are and how much free time you have on your hands. The game itself is awesome imho, the plat is grindy but not unbearable, but if you are interested in 100%ing your games, don't start it unless you are prepared to put aside most of the things you are working on, both in gaming and real life, as it will require more time and commitment than a full time job lol

I'm a completionist and never shy away from very hard (Ninja Gaiden etc) or very long/grindy (WKC, Star Ocean etc) games, but this trophy list is way more than I can take right now. If only I was already in retirement lol

58 minutes ago, Brightblade76 said:

I think it depends on what kind of gamer you are and how much free time you have on your hands. The game itself is awesome imho, the plat is grindy but not unbearable, but if you are interested in 100%ing your games, don't start it unless you are prepared to put aside most of the things you are working on, both in gaming and real life, as it will require more time and commitment than a full time job lol

I'm a completionist and never shy away from very hard (Ninja Gaiden etc) or very long/grindy (WKC, Star Ocean etc) games, but this trophy list is way more than I can take right now. If only I was already in retirement lol

It's really not that bad to 100%, it just takes focus to chip away at it

6 hours ago, FireMage777 said:

It's really not that bad to 100%, it just takes focus to chip away at it

See that you have done most of whats available, what is your playtime?

Starting it casually on pc now (half way through main msq), wondering how many hours to expect at around 100% (atm).

Outside of the Solo Deep Dungeon trophies, it's probably a 6/10 list that takes around a thousand hours to get everything. However, I do think the Deep Dungeon stuff brings it to a 10/10. I soloed EO and it took me around 100 hours worth of attempts. So Far HoH seems much easier as I got to 99 on my first go (ran out of time). And potD is the hardest of the solo challenges.

With enough practice, I think anyone can 100% it, but it's not easy. The best advice I can give is to play the PS4 version and if it's a game you plan on continuing, then go for the PS5 version, but just be prepared since it will be supported for the next decade and probably have a PS6 version lol

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Outside of the Solo Deep Dungeon trophies, it's probably a 6/10 list that takes around a thousand hours to get everything. However, I do think the Deep Dungeon stuff brings it to a 10/10. I soloed EO and it took me around 100 hours worth of attempts. So Far HoH seems much easier as I got to 99 on my first go (ran out of time). And potD is the hardest of the solo challenges.

I think the fishing trophy is also what adds to the 10/10 difficulty for 100% completion. I'm finishing up Stormblood Big Fishes (caught a number of Legendaries but ignoring them for now) and it's really a test of will and patience lol. It depends if you view dealing with fish RNG chains as 'difficult' or you just consider it as 'grinding', but for me it's both. Of course like people have said before, this fishing trophy will get easier over time. But as of right now pre 7.0 this trophy ramps up an already difficult 100% even higher. 

22 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

But just be prepared since it will be supported for the next decade and probably have a PS6 version lol

If we have to re-do everything again just like in the PS5 version in order to pop the trophies, then I'll pass thank you very much LOL. Savages are fine, but redoing solo deep dungeons is straight up annoying.

Edited by PostGameBlues

3 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

I think the fishing trophy is also what adds to the 10/10 difficulty for 100% completion. I'm finishing up Stormblood Big Fishes (caught a number of Legendaries but ignoring them for now) and it's really a test of will and patience lol. It depends if you view dealing with fish RNG chains as 'difficult' or you just consider it as 'grinding', but for me it's both. Of course like people have said before, this fishing trophy will get easier over time. But as of right now pre 7.0 this trophy ramps up an already difficult 100% even higher. 

If we have to re-do everything again just like in the PS5 version in order to pop the trophies, then I'll pass thank you very much LOL. Savages are fine, but redoing solo deep dungeons is straight up annoying.

I'd classify the fishing as grinding. It's frustrating and a test of patience, but not difficult.

I really hope that PS6 games share a list with PS5 games, I really don't wanna see another generation of autopop questions.

9 hours ago, Fuuzect98 said:

See that you have done most of whats available, what is your playtime?

Starting it casually on pc now (half way through main msq), wondering how many hours to expect at around 100% (atm).

My playtime is NOT a good indicator for trophy progress. I've done practically everything the game offers and there's a lot that isn't even on the trophy list

As a side note fishing is not difficult, it is time consuming. It's like collectable grinding with slightly more attention needing to be paid

15 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I'd classify the fishing as grinding. It's frustrating and a test of patience, but not difficult.

I really hope that PS6 games share a list with PS5 games, I really don't wanna see another generation of autopop questions.

I agree with u about the autopop questions, but for this game and I really Hope They put another List in the System for the PS6. A Never Ending trophy List would be very annoying. The PS5 List ist definitly my Last List for this game. I will then make an extra Account for this game i think. With this Style of trophies they Doing right now this is no game for someone who Plays other Games. 

Dont do it of you want to enjoy Other games as well. It is very Long Journey and Maybe a Neverending one as Long they Dont Plan to do another trophy set. 

20 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

With enough practice, I think anyone can 100% it, but it's not easy. The best advice I can give is to play the PS4 version and if it's a game you plan on continuing, then go for the PS5 version, but just be prepared since it will be supported for the next decade and probably have a PS6 version lol

On 10/12/2023 at 9:14 AM, Asmund said:

Platinum is a time investment, you won't feel challenged by the platinum, you'll just be slogging away on repetitive tasks like grinding fates, collectables, etc. For me I didn't mind it, then again I've been playing this game for close to 6-7 years so when they added the trophies I wasn't far off from the reqs.

As far as 100% goes, the trophies you see currently are nowhere near complete (and even so it's already a 10/10 difficulty) if the director of the game is to be believed you should check back on what the 100% requires roughly 10 years from now when he's done adding to the list. Obviously that timeline is subject to change but currently that is what he has said about it.

On a side note, how are y'all farming potions efficiently for HOH btw?

2 hours ago, VER7UZ- said:

I agree with u about the autopop questions, but for this game and I really Hope They put another List in the System for the PS6. A Never Ending trophy List would be very annoying. The PS5 List ist definitly my Last List for this game. I will then make an extra Account for this game i think. With this Style of trophies they Doing right now this is no game for someone who Plays other Games. 

Dont do it of you want to enjoy Other games as well. It is very Long Journey and Maybe a Neverending one as Long they Dont Plan to do another trophy set. 

The whole "it will take all your time and you don't have time for anything else" hyperbole needs to stop. I've gotten over 90 plats since the PS5 version came out and over 140 plats since I started playing XIV altogether

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FireMage777 said:

1 hour ago, FireMage777 said:

The whole "it will take all your time and you don't have time for anything else" hyperbole needs to stop. I've gotten over 90 plats since the PS5 version came out and over 140 plats since I started playing XIV altogether

of course you can platinum Other Games, but you can say again what you want, but this game takes a lot of time playing other Games and this is a fact.

some people have the Time some Dont.  If you have it. Congratuliations. I Dont have the time. Its chipps decision at the end. 

Edited by VER7UZ-

From a vet of the game whos been playing since ARR in 2013, has platinumed PS3 version on an old account , and PS4 version again on this account; my advice on PS5 list : DON'T go for it. I have 30 000 hours of playtime on FF XIV and here's why :

The old platinum is quite fast; and didnt get updated after all patches and extensions, so you can basically powerlevel everything now.

When PS5 version came out, i was pleased at first, as we finally saw updates with new content being released, we even had intesresting trophies for part of the game we didnt have before (like triple triad cards) and the gatherer/crafter ones were easier (juste push one job to lvl 80 not all )

Then, the trouble began with expansions to the PS5 list, every patch, they add more tedious content which was purely optional before :

- Complete Blu mage log

- Beat treasures map dungeon

- Complete fishing log

- Soloing deep dungeons

I wont be surprised if they add one of those next :

- Make you grind some Pvp

- Clear an ultimate ?

I cant even tell how many hundreds of hours you need to complete all of this, plus the luck/skill (especially for lvl 100 deep dungeon solo)  and again its coming from someone who has 30 000 hours in the game.

Remember its a MMO : you're not supposed to do every activites the game has to offer 100%, its meant for everyone to find a part you enjoy the most and then it becomes your reason to keep your sub.

Having to do everything for a trophy list, you :

- won't have time for other games

- everything will be chores day after day

• Like 1

It's actually really interesting to see a few people being vehemently against the newer types of trophies, even telling people that 100% is nearly impossible without having to spend "thousands of hours" in this game, and that you'll not be able to play any other game, like, ever again.

The newer trophies like catching (almost) all fish, gathering (almost) all botanist and miner items, upgrading your island, collecting (almost) all Triple Triad Cards, or collecting (almost) all blue mage skills are similarly grindy to the platinum trophies for fates, dungeons, crafting collectibles and gathering collectibles, yet nobody seems to mind the absolutely boring grind for those things which takes hundreds of hours.
Gathering and crafting collectibles is one of the most annoying trophies in the whole list, but somehow it's ok, since it is "mindless grinding". How is gathering botanist, miner, and fisher items not "mindless grinding" as well? You can follow a guide for every one of those items and steadily get progress toward the respective trophies.

Triple Triad Cards and blue mage skills are similar, you just have to complete dungeons on top of following a list. It has to do with luck, yes, but most people don't complain about the luck part in these trophies, they complain because they have to do something they don't want to do and haven't started yet.

The deep dungeon trophies are debatable, but even those have guides and tips & tricks you can follow, it's a part of the game you have to learn (similar to savage content mind you, which doesn't get criticized as well).

Treasure Dungeons can be annoying since it is RNG again, but even if you're unlucky and can't complete the dungeon, you make tons of gil in these dungeons! So it's not really wasted time.

FF14 isn't meant to be played from the start and only stopped when you have every trophy currently available. You play for a few days/weeks/months (however long you have fun with it), and then you change to other games until you want to go back or when a new patch dropped. If you want the trophies, you should do it little by little, not everything at once. And it's not like new trophies drop every week, there are several months between each trophy patch, enough time to get progress towards the newer trophies.

Besides, content for trophies will become easier over time, the game will be supported for another 10 years. And it's not the end of the world to not have everything.

10 hours ago, Martinofio said:

I cant even tell how many hundreds of hours you need to complete all of this, plus the luck/skill (especially for lvl 100 deep dungeon solo)  and again its coming from someone who has 30 000 hours in the game.

I'm sorry, but you spent 30 000 (!) hours in this game and can't make an estimate how long some grindy trophies are gonna take? 👀

I have 2400 hours in this game (with lots of afk time), played solo most of the time, and I've done my share of optional things, like collecting older relic weapons for several classes, leveling battle, gathering, and crafting classes, pvp, gold saucer, hunts, sightseeing log, etc.
I bet you can get most of the trophies with around 1500 hours playtime, maybe even less if you go for the trophies from the start and do the content required.

Edited by PraiseTheFluppi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Martinofio said:

From a vet of the game whos been playing since ARR in 2013, has platinumed PS3 version on an old account , and PS4 version again on this account; my advice on PS5 list : DON'T go for it. I have 30 000 hours of playtime on FF XIV and here's why :

The old platinum is quite fast; and didnt get updated after all patches and extensions, so you can basically powerlevel everything now.

When PS5 version came out, i was pleased at first, as we finally saw updates with new content being released, we even had intesresting trophies for part of the game we didnt have before (like triple triad cards) and the gatherer/crafter ones were easier (juste push one job to lvl 80 not all )

Then, the trouble began with expansions to the PS5 list, every patch, they add more tedious content which was purely optional before :

- Complete Blu mage log

- Beat treasures map dungeon

- Complete fishing log

- Soloing deep dungeons

I wont be surprised if they add one of those next :

- Make you grind some Pvp

- Clear an ultimate ?

Remember its a MMO : you're not supposed to do every activites the game has to offer 100%, its meant for everyone to find a part you enjoy the most and then it becomes your reason to keep your sub.

Having to do everything for a trophy list, you :

- won't have time for other games

- everything will be chores day after day

I'm not buying it. 30,000 hours is almost 3 and a half ACTUAL years. Meanwhile I'm at half that and have every currently obtainable trophy besides Deep Dungeons (because I'm lazy). Like....what?

On 10/13/2023 at 7:26 AM, Griffon234 said:

On a side note, how are y'all farming potions efficiently for HOH btw?

You can farm 1-30 for a guaranteed shard + whatever else you find in the bronze chests, or just run it down and open a ton of bronze as you go

Edited by Asmund