The Last of Us Online has been cancelled

DesmaBR

I for one am unbothered by the death of yet another live service game. Not saying that companies can't branch out and try new things, but Naughty Dog are the top pedigree (pun very much intended) of single player developers. Whatever comes next, be it The Last of Us Part III, the rumoured fantasy RPG or something completely different to those, it will be in line with what we know them for. Too many respected developers have been put onto games they had no business making- BioWare, Rocksteady, Platinum etc- and I would hate to see any more fall down that hole.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BusyFace13 said:

I actually agree with most of what you said in your full post, but using speedruns as an indicator of game length is a bit misleading. Speedrunners have completed Baldur's Gate 3 glitchless in like 3 hours, but that doesn't make the game shorter than Spider-Man 2.

It was just to make a point on how short the games actually are just by removing cutscenes and skipping non-gameplay parts, not necessarily just speedruns. 

1 hour ago, mega-tallica said:

No, I love older games because they're almost ALL gameplay, the gameplay pushed the game along, not the story. There are no wasted moments where the controller is figuratively out of your hands for long periods of time like you do with newer games because they're so focused on the narrative and the story. That whole 30 minute long walking carnival section in Spider-Man 2 is what I'm talking about. If you think something like that belongs in every game because of the story and it's actually fun then we fundamentally disagree. That stuff is just not fun to me. 

Your original gripe was that the cutscenes made the gameplay short was the point. I merely pointed out that short games have always been around if all you're doing is the bare minimum and ignoring the additional content. Yes games with story have sections that progresses the story, but acting as if they make up the bulk of the game is my gripe because that's just flat out untrue. Agree to disagree sure but the criticism comes off a tad disingenuous because of the way it's presented. Story sections aren't "wasted", by and large they give you instructions in some cases, or give you information you might need to remember later depending on the game. Interactivity is more than just If I'm not pressing buttons I'm not really playing. Interactivity is engagement and engagement doesn't necessarily demand mechanical action on your part.

1 hour ago, mega-tallica said:

When I say GoW is similar to Horizon and Ghosts of Tsushima is because of all these games have those similar moments. They all have those parts where the game slows to a crawl because story cutscenes take control of the game for more than just a moment a lot of times. You can take a bathroom break and make a sandwich and these cutscenes are still playing when you come back sometimes. I know because I've had that happen. I never said I don't like stories in video games, my point is that the focus on the story has gone too far and has become too excessive for what I look for in video games and a lot AAA games are going in that direction, especially the Sony 1st party stuff. When I'm playing a video game, I want to be playing the game. It's hard to get into the gameplay when every 5 minutes there's a 5 minute cutscene that interrupts it. 

I'm sorry but a game slowing down to show cutscenes is something that goes beyond Sony exclusives. Mario has cutscenes, Zelda has cutscenes. Cutscenes are a modern part of storytelling in videogames now. Saying the games are similar because they have cutscenes at times is like saying a shark and a goldfish are similar because they both have fins. And personally I've never  experienced cutscenes in any of those games so long where I could use the bathroom, fix something to eat, and come back with time to spare, that comes off as a gross exaggeration to me. Long story section I can believe but cutscnes that long? No. I never meant to imply you didn't like games with story  but I'm tired of the "movie game" narrative I hear around Sony first party games because they have  story and cutscenes and if you rush through the entire story section while ignoring everything else then the game is "short"

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

I had a bad feeling about the direction Sony was going when they fought tooth and nail for call of duty instead of crash.  On top of paying potentially $70 a year to play online games they aren't doing themselves any favors in that regard(not to mention the PS Plus essential games have been 🗑️ since the price increase)

I've had cautious optimism when it comes to 1st party releases the past few years, the sky isn't falling for now though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, squaresoft4ever7 said:

I had a bad feeling about the direction Sony was going when they fought tooth and nail for call of duty instead of crash.  On top of paying potentially $70 a year to play online games they aren't doing themselves any favors in that regard(not to mention the PS Plus essential games have been 🗑️ since the price increase)

I've had cautious optimism when it comes to 1st party releases the past few years, the sky isn't falling for now though. 

I feel you, but lets be honest. Sony goes in the direction of the money.  That's it. They are a company. A company doesn't care about nostalgia or tradition. Companies only care about profits. In order to achieve it's goal of maximizing profits.... a company would happily throw Crash away if it meant keeping Call of Duty. Making that decision is easy.

Same goes with Naughty Dog. The company didn't make this decision based on morals or tradition or you and I's feelings. They made the decision based on maximizing profits. Then their clearly very talented PR department crafted this well written cancelation announcement to cater to our human emotions to minimize any potential backlash and continue to maximize profits.

A company is like The Terminator. "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are opening your wallet!"

49 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

Good! Dont want abby! Theres only 1 last of us game out there, they never made a second game in my opinion.👍

Thank god you're opinion doesn't matter. Worst takes all around forums.

--

On topic: Factions 2 was one of my most anticipated games to be released, so it sucks that it got canned. There hasn't been any interesting multiplayer since Uncharted 4 and I guess there's not going to be anytime soon anything else.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2023 at 12:28 PM, DividedByMankind said:

Good! Dont want abby! Theres only 1 last of us game out there, they never made a second game in my opinion.👍

Still crying about a fictional story?

On 1/2/2024 at 10:28 PM, EDGES said:

best news from Sony in a while

Absolutely! I don't want more games on my games console. It's so obvious and boring.

• Like 1

Can’t be disappointed about something that never really got going in the first place. To be honest, all they had to do was slap a new skin onto the already existing Factions multiplayer from the first game and add in a few new maps, weapons, skins, and gestures. How hard would that have been? Not hard at all. What a shame. 

2 hours ago, Jacko_the_lad said:

Absolutely! I don't want more games on my games console. It's so obvious and boring.

I don't want the 1st party studios who's jobs are to make games for the platform I'm investing in to make dead on arrival online only unfinished pay to win free to beta test games, 100% right

if 3rd parties want to do it or Sony wants to hire external devs to do it for them, they can have at it, but I didn't buy a PS5 and 1st party games so they can use that money to waste the time of talented, high quality 1st party devs on online only sludge, from 1st party devs I want AAA singleplayer story/character focused games with badass worlds and fluid, tight combat, I don't want my enjoyment of the games I get from 1st party devs to be based on other players contribution/play along

Edited by EDGES

On 12/31/2023 at 1:28 PM, DividedByMankind said:

In my opinion, the grass is blue. I'm uncertain if you're familiar with the definition of "opinion."

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 11:32 AM, mega-tallica said:

When you do speedrun's and skip all cutscenes, that's when you really notice how short and light these games are on gameplay. A 15 hour story like Spider-Man 2 quickly becomes an 8 hour story, just by skipping all the cutscenes. Speedrun's for that game I think are getting well under 5 hours now, closer to under 4.

That argument doesn't really make sense. The game you mentioned, Jak 3 for example, has according to Youtube 2 hours of cutscenes. The current world record is 31 minutes.

No one really stops you from skipping everything and just playing. Look, I don't like shooters but they are still a success, I don't want them to change the game for me. Maybe it's not for you and that's it, but that's not the majority's opinion. 

"Fatigue is setting in" would be true if the game was forgotten. Spider-Man 2 was a success, it was nominated to the Goty, they are planning a sequel, etc. Only in your head it wasn't.

Edited by Jeanolt

On 12/15/2023 at 11:48 AM, Ac3dUd3- said:

Never had any interest for this. I am glad Bungie came in and (likely) told them it wasn't worth it. They are best suited to Single Player games.

Same. The multiplayer for the original game was fine for what it was. However if it wasn't required for the plat I probably would never have touched the mode.

1 hour ago, Jeanolt said:

"Fatigue is setting in" would be true if the game was forgotten. Spider-Man 2 was a success, it was nominated to the Goty, they are planning a sequel, etc. Only in your head it wasn't.

I said I didn't really care for the game, I never said that it wasn't a success. Pretty sure I already elaborated on that in a previous comment so I'm not going to bother doing it again. 

Regardless, I'm not interested in reengaging in a 3 week old debate. I've said my piece, agree to disagree.