The Last of Us Online has been cancelled

DesmaBR

How anyone can describe the cancellation of a project (when they could've had all that resource on other single-player stuff all this time) as "good" is lost on me. 

They should've still put it out even if it got very limited post release support imo.  It must have been nearing a finished thing.

• Like 3

This sucks but I'm glad to hear about the roguelike mode in the new remastered game. I do have to wonder what is going on with Naughty Dog. It seems they've been struggling. I remember hearing that The Last of Us 1 was almost a disaster. The final product on The Last of Us 1 and 2 is good but I can see how that line was very fine for performing like a mid tier game. They've only been putting out remasters and I've gone from a die hard fan to a concerned supporter.

Hope to see better from this company later this gen.

30 minutes ago, Virtua_Vince said:

How anyone can describe the cancellation of a project (when they could've had all that resource on other single-player stuff all this time) as "good" is lost on me. 

They should've still put it out even if it got very limited post release support imo.  It must have been nearing a finished thing.

Nah. Live service games or gaming as a service needs to die. It sucks that they wasted time and resources (surely cause Sony wanted them to), but at least they'll be focused on single player games from here on out. 

• Like 3

I remember Last of Us lovers waited tlou online after few months from tlou2 release in 2020 and here we are after 3 long years all cancelled 

2 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

definitely not surprised (or upset) by this announcement

now if only cockstar would do the same with GTA online

They will never do this. Players will grind gta online 2 on slightly updated gta5 engine in next 15 years from 2025

1 hour ago, Virtua_Vince said:

In an age where social media hyperbole and misrepresentation is so influential to public opinion, a high profile live service game seeming abandoned shortly after release is a very bad look even if they were upfront with their intentions.

As interesting as it might've been to see, and fun for some people, they made the right choice for a lot of reasons.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, olliebear66t said:

This makes no sense. Why does the online have to be live service and "supported for years to come"? Why not just release it as is.

Because modern gaming is seriously being held back by the FOMO.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, monteblommie said:

Completely shift strategy  to online games and hire bungie for their GaaS experience

Let bungie adjust and even cancel online projects of other sony first party studios

Naughty dog cancels what was probably the biggest chance of a succesful GaaS game

Bungie almost bankrupts itself and needs its entire leadership positions replaced 

It's truly a mystery why jim ryan is "retiring"

Please, stop showing how much you don't know. The GAAS pipeline started with Shawn Layden, Ryan simply kept the ball rolling. Bungie isn't going bankrupt, it failed to meet revenue targets, there's a difference, entirely of their own making for sure though. Finally, if Ryan was being "fired" like some people want to convince themselves, he would have been removed immediately instead of stepping down next year. They alo threw him a retirement party, not something you for someone you're firing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Factions was my favorite part out of all original TLoU experience. It really sucks that corporate greed pushed them to separate it from TLoU2 (leaks had videos from multiplayer mode).  Then cut it off TLoU Part One and sell for the full price. Now just cancel everything altogether. 

I don't think I would have played separate game at this point, but I would gladly played it when I got to TLoU2. 

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, RuinousOne25 said:

I wasn’t even aware of The Last of Us Online haha.  But yeah honestly did we really need one?  Anyways this came to mind to the whole thing.

Did we need a standalone live service TLoU? No. 

Did we need one of the best MP modes in it's all updated glory with all the TLoU2 gameplay improvements? Yes. 

TLoU has really great core gameplay that works exceptionally well in MP. Base game lacks in combat encounters to savor it fully. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No surprise here. TLOU2 has been out there for years and they pretty much have been silent about the multiplayer all this time. I just stopped waiting for it, when I got tired of expecting at least some news about the project.

It’s what happens when you have too much ambition. They should just have included a small MP mode in the game, just like the first one was. I think it was what made it fun.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Charizarzar said:

If only they'd just been allowed to do Factions 2.0 instead of whatever this was.

Yeah, seriously. I'd intuit that all most anyone desired was another traditional multiplayer akin to the original Factions, perhaps with the addition of a cooperative mode and whatnot, not some grandiose LiVe sErViCe with "years of support." Not surprising in the least, however, as I had an inkling this was the case after No Return got announced.

Kinda unfortunate, but I could take it or leave it at this point in my life, anyway. The original Factions was certainly a marvelous team-focused experience in its early days, but following the various "balance" updates and introduction of DLC weapons, finding actual fun matches became a rarity for me. Most of the time, I'd just get obliterated by Molotov and Tactical Shotgun spam, then trash-talked by one of the more toxic playerbases I've ever encountered. While it would've been really cool to maybe get a party started with old PSN buddies whom I've barely interacted with since 2014, I also don't need the stress of how seriously the competitive crowd takes that game.

I've still got plenty of fond memories when it comes to the Uncharted and TLoU multiplayer modes, don't get me wrong—spent thousands of hours in them, after allbut they had more than their share of flaws. Regardless, I'd rather see ND allocate their full efforts towards future single-player games, especially if whatever abominable thing this was shaping up to be was their only option.

• Like 2

So the original Factions MP was more interesting than most shooter MPs were by quite a bit, but...if they're telling the truth about how they'd have to dedicate the entire studio to making this a live-service title (presumably a mandate from Sony) and thus be unable to work on any more single-player titles for its lifetime, they absolutely made the right call here. The news of 2+ new singleplayer titles being in the works is heartening - at this point, I think people will take literally anything other than more TLoU, successful as it is.

• Like 1