The Last of Us Online has been cancelled

DesmaBR

Well I sure as hell don't want Naughty Dog to be wasted as a live service studio, but I find it pretty unbelievable that a big ol studio like this couldn't do both. Not that I want them to, just seems like a lot of hubris to be like "our plans were so massive we'd have to have 250 people working on them AT ALL TIMES". 

Crazy that this was cancelled. I'd imagine that spells doom for that dumb bunch of live service games Sony was pushing to release. I think it's the right call

4 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

definitely not surprised (or upset) by this announcement

now if only cockstar would do the same with GTA online

Except that makes them billions of dollars? So why would they?

• Like 3

Yeah, this sucks...but the best part of the news is:

The learnings and investments in technology from this game will carry into how we develop our projects and will be invaluable in the direction we are headed as a studio. We have more than one ambitious, brand new single player game that we're working on here at Naughty Dog, and we cannot wait to share more about what comes next when we're ready.

Edited by TheStark700
  • Like 2

I'm not a big fan of Factions with how toxic people could be, yet it was fun with friends when we did private matches and played public matches together. I was kind of looking forward to this, sucks it's not coming out, ever now.

Edited by Lucibur
  • Like 1

By the time they released TLOU Part 2, and as a fan of multiplayer and factions, I skipped the game and the hype of the people who were excited to play the game. I would save my energy and time if they ever released MP mode (I initially thought they were going to do it because of TLOU1 MP mode). Oh well🤷‍♂️

I think they could've gave the game to Bungie or any other studio. I'm kinda glad anyway, this was dragged to long and was definitely stopping them. If only they released a "normal" factions online back in 2020.. we would have a new game by now.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 1

This might just be among the best, if not THE best cancellation PSA in gaming regardless of our own thoughts on the project, Naughty Dog or the present state of SIE entirely.

Edited by Dry