TM 2020 vs Turbo

xIRockyRock

TM2020 vs Turbo  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What’s harder to get platinum on?

• TM2020
    • TM Turbo

As someone who is close to achieving TM2020s platinum, I wonder which one is harder to achieve.

Imo TM2020 wasn’t too difficulty although some tracks required lots of practice for me.

Worth going back to TrackMania Turbo or just way more difficult to achieve?

I would say Turbo is trickier since you cannot skip any track, you have to learn it and get to a gold time. With 2020 if you’re struggling with a particular track, you can simply move onto another one. You also have the fact that new tracks will continue to be added for both the campaigns and track of the days which over time will reduce the need to earn author medals on tougher tracks.

• Like 2

You have to do all tracks in the Campaign in Turbo, but you only need gold medals on all of them (Which is not bad, some tracks you can straight up crash and have enough time), and only 50 Author Medals out of 200. It's tough, as the physics in Turbo are very wonky, but it's doable.

2020 requires 200 Author Medals in the campaign and 90 Track of the Day ones. New tracks keep getting added, which makes it easier to get as the time passes. Campaign ones will get easier as time passes, but Track of the Day tracks are made by users, and at this point only people who are really into Trackmania are making tracks, so I wouldn't count on new easy tracks popping up. But there's already enough tracks to get it with not much trouble, so.

2020 only real problem is the Blackbelt Champion trophy, as they're also made by other players. Very rarely an easy track will pop up on rotation, but once you get that you're golden.

• Like 2

I've wondered, the newer TM has sounded more intimidating than Turbo. I had a relatively smooth time with Turbo just as a side game whilst I was deep invested in Rainbow 6 at the time and didn't have too much troubles getting golds and trackmasters across the game so hearing a fair number of comments over time including here saying the opposite of my assumptions give me some perhaps misplaced confidence I'd breeze TM2020.

I do wonder though whether some of it is a 'what did you play first' effect in a similar way to how some comments I hear with the Trials games. I hear people claim Trials Fusion was harder, most of whom played Fusion first. I hear people claim Trials Rising was harder, most of whom played Rising first xD

Considering games like TM and Trials are fairly unique in some ways but also fairly consistent between their entries it can be the case that once you've developed skill with and overcome the learning curve through one game the next one you tackle is presumably much easier and harder to compare with.

• Like 2

I have come back to Turbo after having played a bunch of hours on 2020 (campaigns and totds). The most interesting fact is that - and I was not expected it at all -  2020 has helped me a lot for Stadium maps in Turbo(the car is roughly the same), in particular to get a lot of trackmaster medals, including multilaps, in this category (see Ghost-Buster trophy).

About the difficulty, 2020 is more generous on the choice of maps but I feel some maps and medals are incredibly hard. It is quite tough to compare.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The first tracks were pretty easy in Turbo (obviously) but I stopped because I couldn’t commit like 30 mins in one map.

In TM2020 I just got more patient and spent like 3-4 hours on a single map. Many maps are easy but red and black is incredible tough (for me).

Maybe I can do Turbo if I am able to commit a little bit more time into it. I think 80% of the gold medals shouldn’t be too hard. And the remain once just need patience. I think if you can Plat 2020, you can do also Turbo. Or at least I hope so.

Thanks for all your votes so far :)

Edited by xIRockyRock

On 1/3/2024 at 5:24 AM, xIRockyRock said:

Worth going back to TrackMania Turbo or just way more difficult to achieve?

This is exactly what i did. I got stuck on turbos red and black maps for years. I then platted trackmania2020 and had the momentum and skill to try turbo again and platted it. Still caused me some trouble because imo turbo is way harder but had determination to get it done

• Like 1

The positive thing about Turbo is that because you have to gold every track, your skill level will gradually increase as you work through to the tougher tracks in the red and black series. The black series has some real challenges though and more difficult than anything you’d have to do in 2020 so be prepared to be spend a number of hours on a handful of tracks depending on how you get on.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I have finished this today and it took me 165h VS 200h plus on Turbo, I even started Turbo on a blank account getting the 50 trackmasters back in the day due being afraid of the game and on my opinion this is way easier than Turbo. Turbo has 100 tracks less to do and it is only Gold but just to finish the Black tracks its harder than anything on this game but miles. Nothing here took me more than 2h and it just felt really long rather than hard. Turbo on the other way got me stucked several hours just to try to even finish, tracks like 178,180,186 makes this games a joke in comparision, if u can do Turbo u can do this no problem. 

• Like 1

Turbo is a better game, the progression is well balanced and you are prepared for the harder levels at the end

TM 2020 is longer with an average difficulty that is higher than Turbo but Turbo has a harder peak difficulty.  In TM 2020 you also have the head game of constantly thinking "is there an easier track than the one im on" but in Turbo there is no choice you have to do them all.

TM2020 will get easier over time, but will take many seasons before it becomes easy.

• Like 2