Play to the end, or stop after trophies?

172 members have voted

1. 1. Did you play to the end of the game, or stop after you got the last trophy?

• Used a guide and played to the end anyway.
    • Used a guide and stopped when the last trophy popped.
    • Didn't use a guide, so I didn't have all the trophies.
    • Didn't use a guide, but got all the trophies on my own, and still played to the end.
    • Didn't use a guide, but got all the trophies on my own, and stopped after the last one popped.

I am curious.  Of the people who played this game, who stopped after you got the last trophy, and who played right to the end of the story.  I was very tempted to stop playing after I got the whale song trophy, but for some reason I kept going, and man am I glad I did.  I really enjoyed the rest of the game.

I am not sure why they stopped the trophy list before the end of the game.

Edited by Sir_Bee

I dont tend to use guides on my first play throughs so I didn't have all trophies at the end anyway. What I'm the only one?

No, im the same - especially for games that are more about the narrative than the gameplay, like Brothers

For me, beating a game is more satisfactory than getting a plat or 100% completion. There is always a sense of accomplishment when defeating that final boss, even if you still have clean up trophies to collect. So I always play to the ends of games regardless, then I got back and see what games I might be able to plat based on trophies I may already have, and I go from there.

• Like 1

Its a sad day we live in where you can ask this question and get a variety of responses.

Let's rephrase the question: Are you into gaming or trophy hunting? smh...

Why is it a sad day when someone enjoys something for a different reason than you?  I think playing games just for trophies is just as acceptable as playing games for any other reason.  I mean lets be honest, we are not accomplishing anything by playing games, we are just doing it to pass the time because it is something we enjoy.  You shouldn't talk down to someone because they enjoy something for a different reason than you do.

Just a thought.

I dont tend to use guides on my first play throughs so I didn't have all trophies at the end anyway. What I'm the only one?

I have edited the choices to reflect the use of guides.  Thanks for the suggestion, as I hadn't thought of it like that :)

• Like 1

Played until the end. I was really looking forward to the game since I heard a lot of good stories beforehand. The game wasn't too bad and I did enjoy playing it but it's a bit overrated in my opinion.

Why is it a sad day when someone enjoys something for a different reason than you?  I think playing games just for trophies is just as acceptable as playing games for any other reason.  I mean lets be honest, we are not accomplishing anything by playing games, we are just doing it to pass the time because it is something we enjoy.  You shouldn't talk down to someone because they enjoy something for a different reason than you do.

Just a thought.

I have edited the choices to reflect the use of guides.  Thanks for the suggestion, as I hadn't thought of it like that :)

Its a sad day because THIS IS GAMING. Why play a video game that you don't like JUST to collect the trophies? Seriously, that is not a rhetorical question...help me to understand. I get the concept of finishing what you start...I've endured a few games to the end just to say I gave it a fair shot from start to finish. But, why go through the trouble of mastering it?

Playing games isn't about accomplishing anything...its about HAVING FUN! So why play games if you are not having fun playing them?!

• Like 1

Its a sad day because THIS IS GAMING. Why play a video game that you don't like JUST to collect the trophies? Seriously, that is not a rhetorical question...help me to understand. I get the concept of finishing what you start...I've endured a few games to the end just to say I gave it a fair shot from start to finish. But, why go through the trouble of mastering it?

Playing games isn't about accomplishing anything...its about HAVING FUN! So why play games if you are not having fun playing them?!

I think what you are missing is the fact that getting trophies for some people is fun.  So when you say that gaming is about having fun, that is what they have fun doing.

I personally don't continue playing a game I don't enjoy, just to get trophies, but I have played a game past when I would have normally stopped just to get trophies.  As a recent example, the grind to finish Jak 3 or Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.  I would never have gotten the cops to level 20, or collected all 600 precursor orbs if it were not for the trophies.

All I was trying to get across was that people play games for all kinds of different reasons, same way people like all kinds of different games.  Just because someone plays a game for a different reason, or enjoys a different kind of game, does not make their enjoyment of it any less than yours.

• Like 1

I think what you are missing is the fact that getting trophies for some people is fun.  So when you say that gaming is about having fun, that is what they have fun doing.

I personally don't continue playing a game I don't enjoy, just to get trophies, but I have played a game past when I would have normally stopped just to get trophies.  As a recent example, the grind to finish Jak 3 or Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.  I would never have gotten the cops to level 20, or collected all 600 precursor orbs if it were not for the trophies.

All I was trying to get across was that people play games for all kinds of different reasons, same way people like all kinds of different games.  Just because someone plays a game for a different reason, or enjoys a different kind of game, does not make their enjoyment of it any less than yours.

So why gaming? You can get trophies doing just about anything. If its just about getting trophies then why not be it at something that you actually enjoy in itself?

Unfortunately i didn't and also i used a guide 'cause i read of the many missable trophies.

I stopped when the girl turned into that horrific creature in the cave......i REALLY hate/fear spiders. So the game died for me at that point :rolleyes:

. But i started it again 'cause i missed the first trophy & wanted the 100%. Shame, i kinda liked the game :unsure:.

Edited by KamakuraHero
Spoilers

So why gaming? You can get trophies doing just about anything. If its just about getting trophies then why not be it at something that you actually enjoy in itself?

Why not gaming?  If getting trophies was the thing you enjoyed, and gaming provided that, why not?

Why do you game?  What part of the experience is what makes you game?  Are you sure that you can only get that from gaming?  I mean if you enjoy the narrative, and characters, read a book.  If you enjoy impressive graphics, watch movies or tv.  If you like being immersed in an imaginary world, and losing yourself in the character and environment, again read a book.  If it is the interactive world you cherish, use the real world and a little imagination.  There are plenty of ways we can get the things that most of us enjoy out of video gaming, gaming just happens to be the method we chose to use.  Getting trophies would be no different.

All of this is really irrelevant in the long run.  My main point was just try to be respectful to someone who enjoys something different.  By all means, ask them about it, and try to learn what they enjoy about it.  Just keep in mind how you talk about it, you don't want to come across as superior simply because you don't understand why someone would enjoy what they enjoy.  We all have different tastes and different ways to entertain ourselves.  A person who just collects trophies isn't hurting anyone, so let them enjoy what they enjoy without belittling them, or saying we live in a sad world.  I am sure there are a large number of people on this planet who would think our gaming habits are sad and a waste of time, regardless of our reasons for them.

Unfortunately i didn't and also i used a guide 'cause i read of the many missable trophies. I stopped when the girl turned into that horrific creature in the cave......i REALLY hate/fear spiders. So the game died for me at that point :rolleyes:. But i started it again 'cause i missed the first trophy & wanted the 100%. Shame, i kinda liked the game :unsure:.

Could I request that you put the spoiler portion of your post under a spoiler tag.  Don't want to ruin anything for someone who hasn't finished the game.  If you are not aware how, you can use the "Special BBCode" button on the toolbar.  It should be the 3 button.

• Like 2