Stick Drift Lawsuit Dismissed (PS5 Controllers)

jackmadrox

It's completely ridiculous. I've had my PS5 for 8 months and everything's working fine... up until last month when the controller began getting stick drift. Stick drift was never an issue on earlier versions of Playstation consoles, I only ever started seeing it on the PS4 with it's controllers. Never had the problem on PS3 or PS2. This has been an ongoing topic in my circle of friends for the past 2 or 3 years now, and the answer is always the same: They don't make controllers as sturdy as they used to, you yourself have to take your controller apart and weld the frame down inside (I have no idea what that means). Sony has changed something in the way they make the controllers these days because, (DUN DUN DUN) it's cheaper! Because the more often your controller breaks, the more you have to replace them. Some may call it smart business, but that's only gonna work until players don't wanna tolerate it anymore. Then they'll take a hit. Kinda like they did in the post PS2 era, charging 600 bucks for the PS3.

Then I heard about the class action lawsuit. I was happy something was getting done about it. 

Link

Although it says the case is dismissed because the folks who filed the lawsuit wanna pursue a larger court hearing did I understand that correctly? I just think it's truly bogus that I have to go shell out 70-80 bucks for a friggin controller when I take good care of the one I have already. 80 bucks is alot of money for people like me. That's meals for the month, that's gas money, that can be the difference in make or break. Gaming has just gotten so expensive. Everything has gotten so expensive. Makes me miss when things were more simple, makes me miss PS2. Everything is just money money money no soul or care these days.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

I've had my PS5 for 8 months and everything's working fine... up until last month when the controller began getting stick drift.

Your controllers have at least a 1 year warranty. Use it to get it replaced.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1yr warranty. Also some drift happens because people are ruthless with sticks. Spinning super fast etc.

Invest in dualsense edge if you can. Sure battery sucks as does the cost but you can swap thumbsticks. I have multiple dualsense and they generally last 1 to 3 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

1yr warranty. Also some drift happens because people are ruthless with sticks. Spinning super fast etc.

Invest in dualsense edge if you can. Sure battery sucks as does the cost but you can swap thumbsticks. I have multiple dualsense and they generally last 1 to 3 years. 

How often do you have to swap joysticks? and how much do replacements cost?

3 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

How often do you have to swap joysticks? and how much do replacements cost?

dualsense joystick module replacements are 24.99 CDN. so $20 US. i havent had to swap any yet. Had edge since launch. But i have 2 stick modules unopened just for backups if it drifts.

Just now, ResoluteRock said:

I'm with OP here. I'm on my 3rd Dualsense, and whenever I mention this to anyone, they will usually imply that I just need to be more careful with my electronics and treat them well. I've never had a peripheral break on me ever (my OG PS4 controller is still with me after 10+ years of use) and somehow I'm on my 3rd Dualsense already? They don't make 'em like they used to, and it's clear that this is intentional. This problems affects tons of people, and Sony isn't dumb. There are so many solutions they could've deployed to fix this:

- Launching the Dualsense Edge with better analog sticks / Hall Effect sticks

- Launching the rumored Dualsense V2 with better analog sticks / Hall Effect sticks

- Releasing a system-wide deadzone setting

Instead, we got a $200 Pro controller with the same terrible analog sticks. Sony's solution? Pay $20 PER STICK if it breaks. Sony isn't interested in providing a permanent solution to the problem. It feels more like we're paying a subscription to use Dualsense controllers.

@Infected Elite OP complains about how expensive and greedy gaming has gotten and you suggest that they buy a $200 controller with $20 analog stick replacements as a solution lol

Yes, I said its pricey but when it comes to drift its fixable with $20. So instead of being say, out of warranty and needing to spend $80+ on a new controller... 

I've actually fixed it one time on a ps4 controller using a compressed air can and spraying into the stick slot, haven't had an issue with ps5 controllers yet, but it's worth a try.

Stick drift happened to me after 1 Year. Strangely enough both of my Controllers are somewhat affected. Tbh the only game that really feels this is Genshin because it seems they don´t have any deadzone settings and they are hyper sensitive in the first place. 

However i would like to see someone doing the math there^^

For me Dual Sense Edge is 250€, Stick Module 25€ and a new controller is about 75€. (Prices are not fixed pls don´t nitpick)

A new Controller has "hopefully" 2 new sticks AND new buttons etc. 

Of course if one stick is broken the controller is practically useless except you play Beat em ups but where´s the price point?

I own a DualSense Edge so this is not hate against this hardware but damn companies sure are very calculated and greedy. Not that i expected something else^^

• Like 1

Never had a problem with either of the Dualsense controllers I use- I have two backups as well just in case this happens and also a God of War Ragnarok controller that's staying in the box for the time being

29 minutes ago, ResoluteRock said:

I'm with OP here. I'm on my 3rd Dualsense, and whenever I mention this to anyone, they will usually imply that I just need to be more careful with my electronics and treat them well. I've never had a peripheral break on me ever (my OG PS4 controller is still with me after 10+ years of use) and somehow I'm on my 3rd Dualsense already? They don't make 'em like they used to, and it's clear that this is intentional. This problems affects tons of people, and Sony isn't dumb. There are so many solutions they could've deployed to fix this:

- Launching the Dualsense Edge with better analog sticks / Hall Effect sticks

- Launching the rumored Dualsense V2 with better analog sticks / Hall Effect sticks

- Releasing a system-wide deadzone setting

Instead, we got a $200 Pro controller with the same terrible analog sticks. Sony's solution? Pay $20 PER STICK if it breaks. Sony isn't interested in providing a permanent solution to the problem. It feels more like we're paying a subscription to use Dualsense controllers.

Same. I still have my original PS1 Dual Shock controller and it still works perfectly, among many other controllers I've had for 20+ years. I never had a controller have any issues until the PS5 and Switch. But I got the same when I complained about my PS5 controller having issues within a month of me getting my PS5. People just saying it's my fault somehow and that there's a warranty. But I know how to take care of my things and physically can't be rough with my controllers because I have arthritis. It literally hurts if I press the buttons too hard or mash them. I also hate the idea that just because there's a warranty that somehow negates the issue. No one should be unable to use their console for 4+ weeks just because Sony made a shoddy product.

That being said, in my experience, when the PS5 controller has issues, it's because it's overly sensitive. Basically from what I can tell, if even a small amount of dust gets into the buttons or sticks, it causes issues like drift or button sticking. What I do when that happens, is deep clean it. I'll usually pour a little bit of rubbing alcohol over the affected part and scrub out the area surrounding it with a toothbrush. That's fixed it so far. I generally have to do this every month or two. It isn't great that I have to do this, but it's something you may want to consider the next time your controller has issues. Instead of buying a new one.

• Like 1

I had to send both of my controllers back to Sony under warrant for the drift issue. Also, both batteries had to be replaced because they degraded to a point where they lasted an hour, but that's another matter. One controller has gotten a slight drift back. My friends have had similar problems.

18 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

cheaper than $80 for a new controller.

No you're right, it is. But even so, it doesn't change the suspicion that Sony have deliiberately done this to their controllers, in attempt to siphon more money out of it's players. It's just really scummy. And you expect big business to be scummy sure, but they're not even trying to hide it anymore.

• Like 1

Gulikit is working on a PS5 controller with hall effect sticks, similar to the one they made for Switch. Link here.

Personally I'd advise against buying the DS Edge if you'd only be doing it for swappable sticks. $200 for the Edge + $20 for each replacement stick... all of the other components in the Edge would need to last 3x as long as a regular DualSense to make that worth it.

Also, why reward Sony for sticking with shitty sticks? Sony, Nintendo, and MS don't want to provide reliable sticks because then they get to keep selling more controllers (or stick modules).

My advice is to wait until Gulikit's hall effect controller comes out. If it's similar in price to a DualSense, buy that one instead.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Corrections and link
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I also hate the idea that just because there's a warranty that somehow negates the issue.

Having a warranty doesn’t negate the issue, it puts the cost of fixing it back on them and they need to track warranty claims for a whole lot of reasons. People who don’t make warranty claims help these companies out by not forcing them to show the true defect rate of their products. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, there's a thing in aviation and aerospace engineering called FOD (Foreign Object Debris). It can be anything from a broken fingernail to a credit card that gets into the machinery and causes all kinds of problems. Dual Sense controllers aren't aerospace technology but anything mechanical with sensitive electronics is susceptible to FOD. It's not necessarily about cheap materials or construction.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaivRules said:

People who don’t make warranty claims help these companies out by not forcing them to show the true defect rate of their products. 

I’m ready to believe this.

all controllers have stick drift sooner or later, it's the way they work, it depends on personal usage amount/style and luck, people have different sensitivities for it on how bad it has to get for them to notice it and it shows differently from game to game as some games have built in controls to take into account for an existing degree of stick drift to begin with which masks the issue

the Dualsense doesn't have more or less of this issue than any other controllers in history

this has never been an issue that stopped me gaming with any PlayStation controllers I've had

Edited by EDGES