Which game is a masterpiece for you

Rikapadupu

There's honestly so many but the ones that immediately come to mind when I think of games that I absolutely adored from start to finish and have stuck with me ever since are...

Bloodborne

Dark Souls

Hollow Knight

Nier: Automata

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Persona 3, 4 & 5

Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7 & 10

Dragon Quest 8 & 11

Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

NES: Mario 3, Megaman 2

SNES: link to the past, Mario world, chrono trigger, earthbound

Genesis: Sonic 2

64: Mario 64, Mario Kart 64

PS1: Crash, Spyro, FF7, FF9, RE2

PS2: GTA Trilogy

PS4: Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Stardew Valley, RE7

Oh in Nintendo 64 for me Starfox 64 Lylat Wars was just perfect

• Like 1

Yes, Masterpiece is a very strong word and I do agree with a lot of the answers that have already been posted. Bangers, the lot of em

But if I'm ever asked a casual question like what's the best game you've played from someone, my mind would always go to Horizon Zero Dawn

I love reading Sci-Fi and this story captivated me from beginning to end. Even with all my years reading SF, I could only partially guess at what the outcome would be. And the revelation and how the narrative unfolded was a remarkable experience. Good gameplay helps as well!

Still of the best narrative gaming experiences I've ever had

Another answer that coms to mind is The Last Of Us. But that was more of characters journey narrative rather than a story idea one but still very impactful

SIde Note! Just started playing TLOU 2. I just got past THAT part and I honestly don't know how i feel. wtf

Left 4 dead is a perfect game literally started as a gmod little test to a whole game, sucks its only on Xbox and steam love to get trophies from that game on PlayStation. The game is so good they made a second one and almost a third one before canceling it. Of course, we have Back 4 blood a very similar concept, but it's just not fun with the new changes they made.

Edited by Yukiko Miyamoto

If it has to be a single decision

Parasite Eve (first game)

If not there are quite alot of games, but I guess the sheer amount of recent bad releases really devalues my opinion on masterpieces, that or nostalgia, so I wont name any further game.

• Like 1

Resident Evil 4

Bioshock

Metal Gear Solid 1 - 3

REmake may be to this day the best remake ever made and an example how of to do them

Dark Souls (ik demons souls came first but this title took it to the next level of excellence)

Silent hill 2

Final Fantasy VII og

Dishonored

And a lot more tbh, just cant name them all specially of genres im not particularly interested in

• Like 1

A few that I would consider personal masterpiece-level experiences. I tried to keep it close to Sony consoles as possible, but a few PC and Nintendo titles popped in there.

• Lost Odyssey (one of the most neglected IP's in JRPG history in my opinion. It's pretty criminal that we haven't had a remake, remaster, sequel or reboot)
  • The Outer Wilds
  • Soma
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Subnautica
  • Bioshock: Infinite
  • There is no game: Wrong Dimension (afaik, this is PC only, but one of the most meta, 4th wall breaking games I've ever played.)
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Dead Space 2
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Outlast 2
  • Broken Sword
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road
  • Pikmin 3 & 4 (I would argue that these two titles alone are worth the price of the console to play them on)
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask (I really love OoT, but this one blew my mind mechanically. It was also a borderline horror game in parts which was fascinating)
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Observation (One of the best and most interestingly executed Science fiction stories in all of gaming)
  • Final Fantasy 9
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey

• Like 1

God of War (ps3)

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Black

Tomb Raider II

Timesplitters 2

Gran Turismo 3 a-spec

Vice City

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Need for Speed Underground 

Sleeping Dogs

Perhaps the most glaring statistic in my list of iconic games, is that none are from the ps5 or indeed the ps4 era (except for remasters or definitive editions)🤨

On 2/20/2024 at 8:55 PM, Copanele said:

The general definition first, for me a masterpiece is the game that I can play any time, no matter when (be it now, in 10 years, in 20 years from now) and still be "god damn, what a fantastic game"

The first one that comes to mind is Dark Souls the original, the one and only. I honestly do not know how I can still play that game and STILL enjoy it. Must have finished it over 50 times with various builds and challenges and STILL I would play this game and love it.

LJ5qDMGKMXkGELUERzTkxn-1200-80.jpg

Another masterpiece(s) that comes to mind, games that aren't on the Playstation unfortunately, are Gothic 1+2. While Elder Scrolls is definitely more known, I felt that Gothic managed to nail the world building way better. Also to this day it's one of the few games that truly makes you feel like the bottom of the foodchain :lol: (heard Kingdom Come Deliverance is similar in that regard)

Gothic 3 however...eh

ss_e3b0df6f9377689f56391ab7748e94ab3b46648d.1920x1080.jpg?t=1696415395

Moving on, I'll pick another game that haven't graced the lands of Playstation and probably never will, and that's Heroes of Might and Magic III. There's truly something magical about that game, the artstyle, the atmosphere, the million ways in which you can break the game and the whole game in itself...this game has been built to stand the test of time.

And yes it might look silly but it's dangerously addictive.

Also it's the only game where a Monday is a blessing 😂

ss_548367faf1cfa549c88585cb9b01f13b05b05ab7.1920x1080.jpg?t=1699009789

Another entry that I will pick is Witcher III Wild Hunt, this one is known by many thankfully. What I loved the most mainly is the story, the folklore and the true "this ain't some sparkly high fantasy setting" approach. Geralt is one fantastic main character, more complex than you'd be led to believe. 

Bonus points if you played the previous games and/or live in this part of the world, you might recognize some of the folklore/legends.

Olgierd-Von-Everec-how-to-beat-The-Witcher-3-guide-Evils-Soft-First-Touchespcgamer.jpg

Finally, because this post is already too long...

If by any chance you mean THIS game

Sacrifice_by_Interplay_-_box_art.jpg

Then I 100% agree, this game is an absolute masterpiece that flew under the radar big time. I never played a Third Person Wizard Strategy game of this magnitude before and I will have to wonder what were the devs smoking when they made this game 😂but also no other game will make you feel like a Volcano spitting cow-diving Death-summoning sorcerer God like this game does.

If there's another Sacrifice game however...sorry 😂

Yes it is! I played this game so many times and the story its so good with all the gods etc.

Wished more people would experience the game.

• Like 1

The closest game we have that reaches the concept of masterpiece is Shadow of the Colossus. 

It's a game that, even 20 years later, retains their core values, soul, surprise factor, awesomeness, anyone playing it today would feel the same than 20 years ago. It's the highest art expression in the medium, along with Journey, although they are both different.

Other games I would consider masterpieces on a personal level:

- Metal Gear Solid 2

- Assassin's Creed II

- The Last of Us

- Uncharted 2

- Portal

- Life is Strange

- Gran Turismo 4

- Resident Evil 4

- Abzu

- Hades

- God of War II

- Minecraft (yes)

- GTA: San Andreas

There are many other games I love but they simply don't enter, simply too many flaws to ignore, or aren't that amazing compared to these ones.

Also I haven't played a looot of games, I'm pretty young yet so this will expand over time (I hope lol).

2 hours ago, USMC-Punisher-7 said:

I thought Alien: Isolation was brilliant, then again I'm biased to the whole Aliens world 🙂 

You have an excellent taste.

Alien and Predator fan.

• Like 1