Which game is a masterpiece for you

Rikapadupu

27 minutes ago, Gunner2007 said:

Games I consider to be "masterpieces" (how is that defined?) are the ones that capture my attention from start to finish and I can play all the way to the end without taking a break or jumping on another game. The following game are probably cliché to mention but they are on my TOP TOP of the list because they have....

Masterpiece can be a creation that is well crafted in all aspects. Can be timeless, even when  is 10/10 that is not relevant because doesmt need evaluation anyways. Can trigger your senses as well emotions.

Feel ree to correct me or add anything.

Edited by Rikapadupu
  • Like 1

I'm sure to hear crap for my first pick, but at the end of the day it's just my own personal opinion just like everyone else.  With that said....

1. Final Fantasy XIII

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Bloodborne

4. Far Cry 3

5. Skyrim

I also love all of the Uncharteds so I would say the Uncharted series as a whole is a masterpiece.  If I have to pick just one, I'd say it's a hard pick between either Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and the very first one, Drake's Fortune, but I loved my time with all of them. 

Edited by SoliDeoGloriaIHS
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloriaIHS said:

I also love all of the Uncharteds so I would say the Uncharted series as a whole is a masterpiece.  If I have to pick just one, I'd say it's a hard pick between either Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and the very first one, Drake's Fortune, but I loved my time with all of them. 

Oh Uncharted 2... When I did the Convoy and Siege chapter for the first time... :D

• Like 1

A selection:

- 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim

- Odin Sphere

- Grandia 1 and 2

- Wild Arms 1

- Suikoden 1 and 2

- Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights

- Signalis

- Terranigma

- Ilussion of Time/Gaia

- The Talos Principle

- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

- Vandal Hearts 1

- Front Mission 3

- Growlanser: Heritage of War

- Alundra 1

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nyx770 said:

Hard choice. i guess if i had to pick one i think id choose Journey . I cant wait for The Sword of the Sea to come out . 

Journey is a piece of art. Fine choice. Have you ever played Abzu? So good

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kkulifay said:

Journey is a piece of art. Fine choice. Have you ever played Abzu? So good

Yes Abzu was also fantastic.  Enjoyed flower as well but not as much as the others. Still need to play flow.

Journey i can replay  over and over as a  chill time . I really enjoy exploratory games and this one does great storytelling without words.

• Like 1

Masterpiece. The big word. Masterpiece is beyond fantastic. Only a very few games could reached that status for me in over 30 years of gaming. Not sure if I can recall all of mine but here's my list:

Masterpiece:

• Metal Gear Solid
  • Grand Theft Auto Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • The Last Of Us
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Very close:

• Portal 2
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Alien Isolation
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
  • Resident Evil 2 (The original, but the remake was also very cool)

Edited by Solid-Fisch
  • Like 1

Some include:

Final Fantasy 10

Grandia 1

The Guardian Legend (deserves a lot more recognition)

Ys 8

Can call multiple Dragon Quest entries out like 3, 4, and 8.

45 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloriaIHS said:

I'm sure to hear crap for my first pick, but at the end of the day it's just my own personal opinion just like everyone else.  With that said....

1. Final Fantasy XIII

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Bloodborne

4. Far Cry 3

5. Skyrim

Feel much the same on Final Fantasy 13, last pretty good mainline FF I don't care what people say.

• Like 3

For me that is Elden Ring. I bought and played Demon’s Souls when it first came despite knowing very little about it other than it was a tough and unforgiving ARPG but it absolutely hooked me and ARPGs/Souls/Souls-like has been my favourite genre for a long time. I’ve completed every stack of every Soulsborne game by From Software and Demon’s Souls is the only game I’ve ever regionally stacked and will most likely be the only one I ever do.

When Elden Ring came out I pre-ordered it and took the following week off work. I had also pre-ordered Horizon Forbidden West which came out the week before and it ended up initially getting delivered to the wrong address. This ended up being lucky as it took me more than a week to plat it meaning had I got it on time I would’ve most likely put off playing Elden Ring till I had finished it as I almost always only play one game at a time. Unluckily I ended up getting sick right when Elden Ring came out so I couldn’t play it all day long for the first few days.

I completed Elden Ring and continued on with the next games I had lined up but I kept wanting to play more Elden Ring. I was always going to stack the PS4 version but I figured that would be a couple of years later. In the end I caved and started the PS4 version 2 months after its release. I had a couple of builds that I wanted to go through the game with and then I found a third so put off getting the plat. I then found a fourth build I wanted to try but not too long into that playthrough (250 hours playtime across all characters) I got bored and got the final ending for the plat on a previous character. At some point last year I decided to go back to Elden Ring between finishing one game and starting the next to see if I could get back into it again. Elden Ring ended up being my second most played game of last year and it’ll probably rank high again this year as I have multiple builds I want to run.

Elden Ring is a culmination of everything that From Software had done up to that point and the best work to describe it is ‘masterpiece’. It’s the game I’ve spent more time playing than any other. And there have been multiple times where I’ve told myself to start a new game from my backlog but I’ve ended up saying screw it because all I wanted to play was Elden Ring so that’s what I did. I’ve been trying to avoid watching build videos on YouTube because my backlog isn't going to get any smaller if I keep finding new builds to try but at the end of the day I’ll end up going back to Elden Ring if that’s what I’d rather play.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

I’ve been trying to avoid watching build videos on YouTube because my backlog isn't going to get any smaller if I keep finding new builds to try but at the end of the day I’ll end up going back to Elden Ring if that’s what I’d rather play.

Ahhhhh the "comfort" games...backlogs nemesis.... :D

13 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

I miss going online to see what awesome things people had made

All things eventually come to an end... Thankfully the main campaign is awesome (particularly in coop), and we can still enjoy the level creation. 

For me, a game that hardly gets brought up or talked about, is Max Payne 3. Maybe because it's sandwhich in-between GTA and RDR? Either way, peak Rockstar:

- Awesome setting and story

- Excellent, immersive gameplay. 

- Skippable cut scences and chapter select 

- The writing is so fantastic. How many video games can you quote after playing it?

- Killer soundtrack the synchs perfectly which each level and tone. Seriously, it's epic.

- Level design/variety

- Underrated multiplayer. Pretty subjective here, as MP was tacked on at the time for many PS3 games and most people here don't like MP it seems but it was cool. I mean, Gang Wars? :) Your XP from single player even transfers to MP.

- Tons of replay value and varying difficulties

I could go on more, but I would pay double for game like this today on the PS5. As the saying goes, they don't make them like they used to.

• Like 2

for me the games I think are masterpieces are

Red dead redemption inc DLC 

Heavy Rain 

Assassins creed black flag 

Burnout Paradise 

Mafia 2

Ghost of thushima 

uncharted 1 2 3 

LA Noire 

they are just all brilliant games. 

• Like 1

Puh ... what a hard choice. 

But in the PS Universe I would say: Bloodborne and GTA V (Not a pure ps game)

Childhood bangers and still can but so many hours in these

DragonQuest Monster (GBA)

Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World (SNES)

Edited by vsvpl1501

NES: Mario 3, Megaman 2

SNES: link to the past, Mario world, chrono trigger, earthbound, super metroid

Genesis: Sonic 2

64: Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64

PS1: Crash, Spyro, FF7, FF9, RE2, Metal Gear Solid

PS2: GTA Trilogy

PS4: Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Stardew Valley, RE7

Edited by Mr_Fluffy_Pants_
  • Like 3

Downwell comes to mind personally. 

Game respects the player by not treating them like a child that needs to be lead along by the hand. Provides gameplay based hints to teach a player how to play and succeed. Does accessibility correct with color palette swaps Also provides different character styles to speed up or slow down the game, rather than diluting the core gameplay.

Has a hard mode for people who want the extra challenge. Plenty of upgrades so one can customize their runs for massive replay value.

At the end of the game, you see why a character would go through such a hardship in the firstplace.