Switch 2

vanessaking2

I want a way to play the most recent Nintendo games. That means I will need a Switch 2. I have no interest in portability and I'm less likely to buy games on a platform without achievements (assumption) so I will primarily use it to play Nintendo first party games.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

Nintendo always releases multiple high-quality and amazing titles per generation.  So yes.  Guaranteed there will be a new Mario, Zelda, Kirby, probably Smash Bros., perhaps Metroid and Donkey Kong.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by chriee

First of all... yes I want it. The Switch is 7 years old and under-performs most of the time with titles that aren't first party games (so in other words third party games) and they need to release their next hardware ASAP instead of being far behind on tech like they always are. It just needs backwards compatibility (in other words in needs to be able to play Switch 1 games in physical and digital format)

With that out of the way... I still fail to understand why they aren't going to release it this Holiday season because they would make a shit ton more money that the supposed 'excuse' they have to delay it to March 2025. But I'm just some random and a dumbass I guess so what the hell do I know?

7 hours ago, chriee said:

Nintendo always releases high-quality and amazing titles.  So yes.  Guaranteed a new Mario, Zelda, Kirby, probably Smash Bros., perhaps Metroid and Donkey Kong.

I don't know about always.

29 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

First of all... yes I want it. The Switch is 7 years old and under-performs most of the time with titles that aren't first party games (so in other words third party games) and they need to release their next hardware ASAP instead of being far behind on tech like they always are. It just needs backwards compatibility (in other words in needs to be able to play Switch 1 games in physical and digital format)

With that out of the way... I still fail to understand why they aren't going to release it this Holiday season because they would make a shit ton more money that the supposed 'excuse' they have to delay it to March 2025. But I'm just some random and a dumbass I guess so what the hell do I know?

My guess is whatever launch title they have planned needs more time in the oven.

“A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.“ - Not actually a quote from Miyamoto

It won't be a Zelda since we just got one of those or it could be a 3D Mario but I doubt it. My best guess for the Switch 2 launch title will be Metroid Prime 4 since it was announced forever ago and we haven't seen anything about it since. They should announce something any time from March to September.

2 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

I don't know about always.

Not saying everything they release is great.  But there hasn't been a single generation they haven't released fantastic titles for their core franchises, that's what I meant by always.  Their next console will, until they prove me wrong, have a sweet Mario, Zelda and Kirby game.

Edited by chriee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chriee said:

Not saying everything they release is great.  But there hasn't been a single generation they haven't released fantastic titles for their core franchises, that's what I meant by always.  Their next console will, until they prove me wrong, have a sweet Mario, Zelda and Kirby game.

Fair enough. Things get a little hairy during the Wii U but I'll count that as a minor exception to what you're saying and not the overwhelming norm.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Fair enough. Things get a little hairy during the Wii U but I'll count that as a minor exception to what you're saying and not the overwhelming norm.

Yeah, the Wii U didn't do great, but it still had some excellent titles from the 3 franchises they always seem to have a release for; Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

Now don't even get me started on Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, love that game.  That needs a sequel.

• Like 1

I only just bought my Switch in 2022 after having a long hiatus from Nintendo. And it's great as a secondary console I'm playing for anything I can't play on PS5, so Nintendo definitely sucked me back in. I mean I hate that their game prices are so static and even resellers acting like they're Nintendo and not letting up on their prices, but it's a great system nonetheless. 

So a Switch 2 is definitely something I want. I wouldn't be getting it right away, but I also likely won't wait as long to adopt one.

• Like 1

If it truly is releasing in Q1 2025 (probably the first week of March), then that better be the latest it releases. I've had a Switch since July 2017 and have been ready for Switch 2 since November 2022. 

I'm really hoping for a Q4 2024 release (holiday or even October), but the rumor mill seems to indicate that's not happening anymore. 

I'm not planning on getting it at launch, but the sooner it's out the sooner software can release. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 5:11 PM, Don_Chipotle said:

Wonder what will be the tech specs the console will have, they need to keep a friendly open space with other brands like they did with the switch

It's going to have to be at least 2013 Xbox One level in performance to be an clear upgrade from Switch. I'm hoping more for PS4 to PS4 Pro like performance, namely in docked mode. It should be pretty comparable to a Steam Deck, give or take.