Any Advice for Brutal Challenge: Rulers of the Outer Worlds?

7 hours ago, AnthonyAmato said:

I’m gonna try barrier instead of bravery. A video would be very helpful, seeing it in action might help a few of us.

so Tifa you tap square a bit then hold square and press r1 or just hold square and press R1 instead of Comboing? 

You can spam the Whirling Uppercut by holding square, then pressing R1 after you see the glowing punch. The first 3 Uppercuts in this video are normal, the rest are cancelled. I didn't use this in my clear video, because I honestly didn't pay much attention to the combat on the first playthrough. That happened with Remake too. I only started learning stuff after I started the hard content, and these challenges were the first thing I did after beating the game. I used this a ton on my hard mode playthrough.

I'll try to upload that video of my clear soon. It's going to take a while because I have less than 1mbps upload speed. It's a good video because I make so many mistakes in it. And it's actually like 20 minutes, but the clear time says 12:12. I guess that's because I open the menu a lot to think or focus because I was sleep deprived at the time.

My loadout was:

Cloud

Rune Blade (ATB Charge Rate Up, Limit Break Damage +10%, Attack Power +20, Magic Attack Power +20)

Cetran Bracer

Enhanced Expeditionary Medal

Magnify-Barrier, Revival, Magic Up, Limit Siphon, ATB Boost

Elemental-Fire and Ice, Magnify-Healing, MP Up, First Strike, Steadfast Block, Precision Defense

Barret

Battle Cry (Opening ATB Bonus, ATB Charge Rate Up, Limit Gauge Charge Rate +10%, Attack Power +20)

Valkyrian Bangle

Chocoking's Cape

Magnify-Time, First Strike, Healing, HP Up, MP Up

Elemental-Fire, Enervation, Limit Support, Steadfast Block, Precision Defense

Tifa

Leather Gloves (Utterly Unbridled Strength, Weapon Ability Damage +5%, Attack Power +20, Martial Arts Mastery)

Cetran Armlet

Fury Ring

Revival, Enemy Skill, ATB Boost, ATB Assist, ATB Stagger, Healing

Elemental-Fire, Disempowerment, Strength Up, Skill Master, HP Up, Steadfast Block, Precision Defense

EDIT: My sloppy clear video.

Edited by CarnivoreCaveCow
  • Like 1

So I've been messing around more with a number of different builds, feels like this challenge is just out of reach for me;

Tifa/Cloud/Barret:

• Cannot beat Odin/Alexander. I'm pretty bad at parrying Odin, so that's probably why.
  • Bahamut/Titan is 50/50 depending on who Bahamut decides to target.
  • Cannot imagine how difficult Gilgamesh is with this setup considering Tifa/Cloud need close range to build ATB. 
  • Very fast/efficient when it works though, just again, Odin is a hard wall with this setup for me. 

Yuffie/Aerith/Barret:

• Yuffie Brumal spam is very RNG based. 
  • Aerith likes to wander out of Arcane Ward sometimes. 
  • If a boss gets a lucky hit then it can really make everything go south fast. 
  • Managed to get to Sephiroth twice with this build but no dice on the win. 
  • Very RNG heavy but the fastest I've managed to kill Gilgamesh. 

Cloud/Barret/Red:

• Slow and steady.
  • I can see why this one is recommended in a bunch of guides, this build has given me the most success passing Odin/Alexander. 
  • Gilgamesh is awful with this setup, I am notoriously awful with Red though. 
  • Have reached Sephiroth twice with this setup too. It takes a lot longer than Brumal spam, but it is more consistent. 

Cloud/Red/Yuffie:

• I don't know what it is about Yuffie but man I don't like using her outside of Brumal spam. 
  • Not a fan of relying on sync abilities to upgrade ultimates.
  • Feels significantly weaker than Limit Siphon Cloud/Barret/Red. 

Aerith/Cloud (or) Tifa/Barret:

• I really want to like this one but after round 2 it's in Gods hands. 
  • Waiting for Aerith 3rd tier Limit is painful. 
  • I can see why people go for this build but again, I'm terrible at blocking/parrying. 

Not gonna lie, I'm at a loss. Lots of "easy" guides showcase perfect blocks, good boss RNG or incredible reflexes/speed. I'm too old for this lmao. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broshida said:

So I've been messing around more with a number of different builds, feels like this challenge is just out of reach for me;

Tifa/Cloud/Barret:

• Cannot beat Odin/Alexander. I'm pretty bad at parrying Odin, so that's probably why.
  • Cannot imagine how difficult Gilgamesh is with this setup considering Tifa/Cloud need close range to build ATB. 
  • Very fast/efficient when it works though, just again, Odin is a hard wall with this setup for me. 

Yuffie/Aerith/Barret:

• Yuffie Brumal spam is very RNG based. 
  • Aerith likes to wander out of Arcane Ward sometimes. 
  • If a boss gets a lucky hit then it can really make everything go south fast. 
  • Managed to get to Sephiroth twice with this build but no dice on the win. 
  • Very RNG heavy but the fastest I've managed to kill Gilgamesh. 

Cloud/Barret/Red:

• Slow and steady.
  • I can see why this one is recommended in a bunch of guides, this build has given me the most success passing Odin/Alexander. 
  • Gilgamesh is awful with this setup, I am notoriously awful with Red though. 
  • Have reached Sephiroth twice with this setup too. It takes a lot longer than Brumal spam, but it is more consistent. 

Cloud/Red/Yuffie:

• I don't know what it is about Yuffie but man I don't like using her outside of Brumal spam. 
  • Not a fan of relying on sync abilities to upgrade ultimates.
  • Feels significantly weaker than Limit Siphon Cloud/Barret/Red. 

Aerith/Cloud (or) Tifa/Barret:

• I really want to like this one but after round 2 it's in Gods hands. 
  • Waiting for Aerith 3rd tier Limit is painful. 
  • I can see why people go for this build but again, I'm terrible at blocking/parrying. 

Not gonna lie, I'm at a loss. Lots of "easy" guides showcase perfect blocks, good boss RNG or incredible reflexes/speed. I'm too old for this lmao. 

Have you tried the limit loop method? You might find that easier, there are a few videos of it on YT with slightly different variations, including the one I posted yesterday.

I do like that there are several very viable methods now, cool to see. I'll still swear by cloud/barret/red and limit loop cloud/Barret/aerith for consistency, but that's just my preference.

Edited by CommodoreSellers
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CommodoreSellers said:

Have you tried the limit loop method?

I tried this limit loop while playing Hard story mode but whenever I do the lvl 3 limit break with Aerith it only fills up one limit break for another character. What am I missing?

4 minutes ago, Baker said:

I tried this limit loop while playing Hard story mode but whenever I do the lvl 3 limit break with Aerith it only fills up one limit break for another character. What am I missing?

Make sure you don't have limit support on anyone, as it'll divert their limit gain from aerith to someone else, since they all should get a full one anyway, it just goes in to the void lol.

Edited by CommodoreSellers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CommodoreSellers said:

Make sure you don't have limit support on anyone, as it'll divert their limit gain from aerith to someone else, since they all should get a full one anyway, it just goes in to the void lol.

Damn. That was it. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Broshida said:

Tifa/Cloud/Barret:

This was my preferred setup.  My recommendation for Odin is to use plasma discharge from enemy skill on Cloud and then just focus on using punisher stance to counter his attacks. (Hold block before Odin attacks you in punisher stance so that he retaliates).  The timing is pretty generous, but you mostly just have to get a feel for Odin's attacks.  Can practice his solo battle with Chadley if needed just countering with Cloud.  It seems to push Odin into his pressured state faster than most other stuff and doesn't let him cheat with his reprisal ability that counters your weapon abilities.  If you can use a synergy ability then I would suggest doing that as well.  It does a great job of multi hitting him which stunlocks him and lets you beat him up with the 3rd party member who is not participating in the synergy ability beatdown.  I like to use Cloud+Barret limit raiser to stunlock bosses and then switch to Tifa and beat the boss up while hes stunlocked from the synergy ability.  It is really overpowered on Odin, Gilgamesh and Sephiroth haha.  Gilgamesh is quite tough with this party, but not so bad with the synergy ability strategy I mentioned.  Mainly you just want to be careful about getting stunned or turned into a frog.  The rest of the time its just kinda rotating around your characters getting some pot shots in if they arent being attacked to build ATB and try to get those synergy abilities off.  Limit breaks are also great for stunlocking Gilgamesh.  Switch to people not using limit break and beat him up.  Barrier+Magnify will make Gilgamesh and Sephiroth easier.

Edited by Elegy

So I got to the Gilgamesh fight ONCE and died pretty quickly. 

so for that fight should I not cast barrier right away with cloud and build up 2 ATB so I can use Firaga and is there a specific time I should use Firaga or use it immediately?
Sucks that there’s no more materia slots for Esuna, I have a hard time micromanaging everyone that I didn’t pay attention when to dodge the move that turns me into frog :( 

what is the move called that turns you into a frog?

These challenges suck ass 🥲

Edited by AnthonyAmato

EDIT: I finally did it. Seems that you need to attack him and that's when the shield tries to block fire

So I managed to get to sephiroth 4 times now and almost killed him one time. However the one thing I still don't fully understand is what exactly destroys Gilgamesh's Genji Shield?

I saw in some videos that casting fira makes the shield show up and it takes a bit of dmg and then I can destroy it with Tifa, however I did cast it one time 3 TIMES, and nothing happened. Also I tried to cast Firaga with Cloud as soon as I see the text Genji Shield. One time I tried with Tifa Limit break, but it did hit/break the shield, another time I used Cloud's Limit break and it destroyed the shield (hp was not visible) I don't understand it. And this is the one thing that is messing up my runs.

Can someone explain what is a quaranteed way to make that shield HP bar show, so I can destroy it?

Edited by UndeadSephx

4 hours ago, AnthonyAmato said:

So I got to the Gilgamesh fight ONCE and died pretty quickly. 

so for that fight should I not cast barrier right away with cloud and build up 2 ATB so I can use Firaga and is there a specific time I should use Firaga or use it immediately?
Sucks that there’s no more materia slots for Esuna, I have a hard time micromanaging everyone that I didn’t pay attention when to dodge the move that turns me into frog :( 

what is the move called that turns you into a frog?

These challenges suck ass 🥲

I personally always cast Manawall Instantly in all fights, the damage is just too high without it.

With the Limit Break builds, I pretty much just run around blocking Gilga and using Chakra and don't really attack until i've built Limit from blocking (only half with Limit Booster). Easier to just focus on blocking/evading instead off blocking/evading/attacking!!

The attacks which cause Frogger, is it the Ephemerality and the Swordsman attacks, just be sure you're always running to the left or right or diagonally away, so when you see that move, you can quickly run left or right ready to dodge it. I can almost always evade it unscathed now, but then I usually do it with Tifa who has a good evade move.

I've always just use the spell on him to remove the shield, is it Breach or Dispel, one of those. I'm ready to do it as soon as the Genji text appears.

3 hours ago, UndeadSephx said:

EDIT: I finally did it. Seems that you need to attack him and that's when the shield tries to block fire

So I managed to get to sephiroth 4 times now and almost killed him one time. However the one thing I still don't fully understand is what exactly destroys Gilgamesh's Genji Shield?

I saw in some videos that casting fira makes the shield show up and it takes a bit of dmg and then I can destroy it with Tifa, however I did cast it one time 3 TIMES, and nothing happened. Also I tried to cast Firaga with Cloud as soon as I see the text Genji Shield. One time I tried with Tifa Limit break, but it did hit/break the shield, another time I used Cloud's Limit break and it destroyed the shield (hp was not visible) I don't understand it. And this is the one thing that is messing up my runs.

Can someone explain what is a quaranteed way to make that shield HP bar show, so I can destroy it?

Cant you just use Breach or Dispel to remove all his buffs, works for me. I do it always almost straight away as he is bad enough without the buffs so I like to get rid soon ass

I used Yuffie's Brumal Form method with Barret as tank to ensure you don't die fast and Aerith with Genji gloves to deal more than 9999 dmg with Firaga.
I think this method is very consistent to get pass the first 3 battles.
Then you will have more chance to practice the 4th and 5th battle.  Build at 26:26.

Some notes:
-With Yuffie's Brumal Form + Magnify Haste + Aerith's ATB Ward and Barret as tank, you can fight to the last battle quite consistently to practice the last boss. 
-Use Auto Cast + Fire on Aerith makes things easier for you to focus on evading with Brumal Form. Aerith will auto cast fire faster when the boss is weak to fire.
-Don't spam Brumal Form when the boss is about to hit you, try to timing it before the attack connects to increase ATB much more.
-Remember, Brumal Form requires at least 1 ATB. When you ran out of ATB, quickly switch to Ninjutsu to attack or use ATB Boost L1+R1 when has 1 ATB to double it.
-Practice Perfect Guard Shadowy Chains in the last battle then you'll win.

Edited by TranQuangHuy

28 minutes ago, TranQuangHuy said:

I used Yuffie's Brumal Form method with Barret as tank to ensure you don't die fast and Aerith with Genji gloves to deal more than 9999 dmg with Firaga.
Then you will have more chance to practice the 4th and 5th battle.  Build at 26:26.

This is the first time I have seen this, but this is the closest thing to a cheese build and playstyle I have seen.  Up there with the Rachel twirl in NGS2 on ps3.  I imagine this will be the build that a lot of people are going to start using since you don't really need to know the boss fights at all to win with this.

• Like 1

Perhaps the person who discovered this method was the who posted "Rulers of the outer worlds is easy" on YouTube.

I also tried it yesterday, Thanks to him!

Edited by starvar

I think I'll try almost every method then choose the one I'm most comfortable with, Sephiroth is intimidating tho, the parry in this game even with the materia feels off imo, but guess I'll have to practice nonstop 

18 hours ago, TranQuangHuy said:

Then you will have more chance to practice the 4th and 5th battle.  

I had a go with this and managed on my second try, so thanks very much for sharing this.

The second half of the Sephiroth fight turned into a bit of a clusterfuck as I couldn't get the Brumal loop going. Sephiroth ended up cycling back to Fire Affinity it took so long. I only had Barret left with about 800hp remaining when I got the second stagger. Pretty gross.

Edited by BusyFace13
  • Like 1

Man i cant even get past Odin with Tifa/Barret /cloud while following videos and trying to do the same they do, i guess ill just wait for a very detailed guide that might help or a 100% cheese strat.

Every other strat also seems either really slow or even harder.

Edit: Got trough Odin once, was absolutely destroyed by Gilgamesh

Edited by andrehunter

6 hours ago, andrehunter said:

Man i cant even get past Odin with Tifa/Barret /cloud while following videos and trying to do the same they do, i guess ill just wait for a very detailed guide that might help or a 100% cheese strat.

Every other strat also seems either really slow or even harder.

Edit: Got trough Odin once, was absolutely destroyed by Gilgamesh

Odin and Alexander are horrible to get through unless you're very good at positioning and perfect blocking/dodging. Alexander's tracking beam does some outrageous damage and there's nothing quite like getting knocked down by Alexander as Odin winds up an attack. 

Most strats so far are rather skill or RNG based.

Brumal form spam is fun, but falls apart at Gilgamesh/Sephiroth. You need seriously good RNG and boss reading to be able to get brumal spam working against Gilgamesh. 

Tifa/Barret/Cloud feels really sweaty, you need blocks/parries/dodges as well as keeping up buffs while trying to conserve MP for later battles. I find this strat can fall apart easily in round 2 or 3. 

Red/Barret/Cloud can usually get you to round 3 or 4 through sheer force thanks to how tanky the comp is. 

I'm taking a break though. Dragons Dogma is out soon, I'll revisit FF7 once some more strats come out, or if Square decide that these encounters are a little overtuned. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, diogoarez said:

I did the first 3 Brutal Challenges without much struggle but I can't even get past the second round of the 4th, let alone when I reach this one :(

We use the Stop-Quake loop, I dunno, cant really decide on a fitting name. But as you will see in the video, all enemies are pretty much frozen for the whole video and dont get chance to do any attacks at all!!! Nothing to block or evade!!

The build is OP because Stop can be magnified (stop 3 enemies at once), and a magnified Quake can hit every enemy 3 times if they are all together within the AOE, hence where Stop comes useful!! A magnified Quake can potentially do triple damage!!!

Edited by Optinooby

3 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

We use the Stop-Quake loop, I dunno, cant really decide on a fitting name. But as you will see in the video, all enemies are pretty much frozen for the whole video and dont get chance to do any attacks at all!!! Nothing to block or evade!!

The build is OP because Stop can be magnified (stop 3 enemies at once), and a magnified Quake can hit every enemy 3 times if they are all together within the AOE, hence where Stop comes useful!! A magnified Quake can potentially do triple damage!!!

Thanks will try it! The hard part will be materia AP farming haha

For me the last brutal challenge is pure madness. I beat Gilgamesh several times (only by luck based on the RNG i think) but Sephiroth always destroys me at the end, even if i perfect parry some of his shadowy chains, i always die sooner or later. I'm stuck on it for several days and this is really really annoying at this point, i don't even enjoy it.

They nerfed the materias and other stuff, the Genji stuff is supposed to be God-tier but is useless and well, i'm tired to do it from the beginning again and again. We don't even have a free pratice mode or something.

• Like 3

This shits affecting my mental health I’ve gotten so good at passing Odin but Gilgamesh is just so rng, there’s times where no one turns to frogs or stone then there’s times it’s in the first second of the round, idk how I even got to Sephiroth the 4-5 times that I did lol

Edited by AnthonyAmato
  • Like 1

Well i think i just got lucky but i finally did it, uploaded on YT Gilgamesh & Sephiroth fights if it can help :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAV6Rhd-li4

To be honest i didn't even enjoyed the win, i still think this is not a fair challenge and i'm just glad it's over. Never again. Sincerely wish you guys good luck for this one.

Still need to try the Legendary challenges now, but... i can wait.

• Like 2

I used Cloud/Tifa/Aerith. Took me a while to get it done but I did it. Grab the ribbon from the 3D brawler minigame, give it to Cloud as well as a maxed cleansing. Then you can de-frog anybody. 

Dispel will debuff gilg. Fira/ga will annhilate the shield fast but you need to already be in a decent position, which is easier said than done. Barrier/Magnify is a must. Gilgamesh gets progressively easier the longer the fight progresses as you knock weapons out of his hands. He starts at 110% though.

I also had elemental/fire (fire and ice for Aerith) on all armor pieces. Just means you have to get through the first phase of Sephiroth and then you are mostly home free. Barrier everyone, heal everyone and his octoslash will take about 60% health. Keep doing that until you've whittled him down to half or have limit breaks. Then he starts spamming fire attacks. It's a massive slog. One I won't be doing again in a hurry lol. Good luck with this and the horrific legendary battles.

Ok i just got it on the first try after finally getting over Gilgamesh, Sephiroth is a pushover, his new attack is really easy to parry, he was still able to release one octoslash and kill Barry, but was able to turn it around and get him on the first try. Im so relieved, i know there's still a lot to do in the game but now i think i can finally get the plat. I really liked Cloud/Tifa/Barry team, using haste and barrier, tried to used bravery instead of barrier but i was dying so much, after i finally got the dynamics down, i was getting consistently past Odin, like 100%, but i must have died 10 times on Gilgamesh, once i did get him (by getting lucky i guess) i got Sephiroth  down on first try. I would advise anyone going for this to study some videos of his Shadowy Chains and try to learn the parry window which i though  was pretty generous and if he targets one of your companions, switch because they will always get caught. I really think Sephiroth is way easier than Gilgamesh as long as you can somewhat parry his attack. Good luck to everyone still going through this stupid ass challenge.

Edited by andrehunter
  • Like 1