Halo: The Master Chief Collection Coming To Xbox One This Year

Parker

According to Engadget, we'll be seeing remastered versions of Halo: Combat Evolved - Halo 4, all the games involving Master Chief, release on the Xbox One sometime this year. Many people assumed that there would be a Halo 2 Anniversary released this year, just like what they did with the first game, but it seems that they've done the whole damn series (just about) instead of one game. 

halo-series-hd-remake.jpg

Master Chief is getting a facelift with an HD collection of his exploits. We've learned thatHalo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 are being collected in a Master Chief-focused HD remaster coming from Microsoft. Our sources say that the set will zero in onHalo's most famous soldier to refresh audience's memories ahead of Halo 5: Guardians' release, so curiosities like Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach likely won't be a part of the package. The game's developer is unknown at this point, but considering that Saber Interactive handled Combat Evolved Anniversary and is also working on an unannounced Xbox One project, the team is a likely suspect. Also unclear are plans for digital distribution, resolution and frame-rate (Microsoft bragged that that the next Halo will run at a "blistering" 60fps), piecemeal releases, or if the games will surface on other platforms as well (PC, anyone?).

Microsoft has gone on record saying that it would love to have Halo release more than once every three years. It's used different developers to fill that task since, but we're still pushing two years since Halo 4 launched. To commemorate the first game's 10th birthday, Microsoft released Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary for the Xbox 360, which served as a stop-gap for the 343 Industries-developed Halo 4; there's precedent for this sort of thing. This remake makes a lot of sense for Redmond for a couple of different reasons: it satisfies the more-frequent release desire and it helps fans get caught up on the story. It also gives them the chance to re-experience some of the best console shooters with better looks and sound -- everyone wins!

We reached out for official word from Microsoft and are waiting to hear back, but we're not expecting much beyond the usual, "We don't comment on rumors or speculation."

Source: Engadget 

Personally, I'm a little disappointed they aren't remastering Reach and ODST as well. Halo 2 and 3 are absolute garbage games in my opinion with Combat Evolved being by far the best (followed by Reach, then ODST.) Halo 4 was a pretty decent game, 343 did a damn fine job making it look and play as good as it did on the 360 but it didn't interest me nearly as much as the original. 

If this collection ends up being $60 I'll more than likely pick it up just to play Combat Evolved again, even though I already bought the Anniversary edition too, just because it is easily one of my favorite Xbox games and I have a lot of fond memories playing co-op with my brother. Seriously, Combat Evolved is one of the greatest co-op games of all time, in my opinion, and hopefully the local multiplayer mode will be here as well since it was absent from the Anniversary release. 

Parker

Now why in the hell would you want to post this crap here. I for one don't give to shakes for Xbox. So please stop infecting my Sony love.

Stop being a fanboy and you'll discover some great gaming experiences on other consoles. 

Parker

• Like 3

According to Engadget, we'll be seeing remastered versions of Halo: Combat Evolved - Halo 4, all the games involving Master Chief, release on the Xbox One sometime this year. Many people assumed that there would be a Halo 2 Anniversary released this year, just like what they did with the first game, but it seems that they've done the whole damn series (just about) instead of one game. 

Source: Engadget 

Personally, I'm a little disappointed they aren't remastering Reach and ODST as well. Halo 2 and 3 are absolute garbage games in my opinion with Combat Evolved being by far the best (followed by Reach, then ODST.) Halo 4 was a pretty decent game, 343 did a damn fine job making it look and play as good as it did on the 360 but it didn't interest me nearly as much as the original. 

If this collection ends up being $60 I'll more than likely pick it up just to play Combat Evolved again, even though I already bought the Anniversary edition too, just because it is easily one of my favorite Xbox games and I have a lot of fond memories playing co-op with my brother. Seriously, Combat Evolved is one of the greatest co-op games of all time, in my opinion, and hopefully the local multiplayer mode will be here as well since it was absent from the Anniversary release. 

Parker

I loved the first halo as well but i also liked 2 a lot. Lots of fun with friends.

I know my brother in law will pick this up so ill get to play as i dont think ill buy an xbone any time soon

I loved the first halo as well but i also liked 2 a lot. Lots of fun with friends.

I know my brother in law will pick this up so ill get to play as i dont think ill buy an xbone any time soon

I may enjoy Halo 2 if I went back and played it now but I remember being super hyped for the game and then crushing disappointment because half the damn game you're playing as the Arbiter. I detested those sections and the very last level you play as him instead of the Master Chief. 

Multiplayer was fun though, I'll give you that. Especially on Live. 

Parker

• Like 1

Haha. I figured people would not like my post.

But in the real. It is true i'm more of a fan of PS. But I've always wanted to play halo because so many people say it's a good game but I've never gotten the chance. Maybe when i get the Xbox One I'll finally get the chance to give it a try.

Haha. I figured people would not like my post.

But in the real. It is true i'm more of a fan of PS. But I've always wanted to play halo because so many people say it's a good game but I've never gotten the chance. Maybe when i get the Xbox One I'll finally get the chance to give it a try.

Ah, so you were trolling just for the hell of it then.

"But in the real." Do it again and you'll receive a point against your account, I have a low tolerance for stupidity. 

Parker

I may enjoy Halo 2 if I went back and played it now but I remember being super hyped for the game and then crushing disappointment because half the damn game you're playing as the Arbiter. I detested those sections and the very last level you play as him instead of the Master Chief. 

Multiplayer was fun though, I'll give you that. Especially on Live. 

Parker

Only time i like CTF in a game was halo 2. My friends and i destroyed others.

Why are they doing a HD remake of halo 4? IMO halo's boring. Never understood the hype, just a green guy with no personality killing covenant and flood, how he gets voted best gaming character is beyond me. 

Master Chief is an absolutely terrible character but the games, well the first one at least, are fun. Combat Evolved was one of the first console shooters that actually controlled well and still holds up as a great experience to this day. The series in definitely held in a higher regard by Microsoft fans than I feel it deserves but I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy some of the games. 

I think they're only remastering Halo 4 so people will be able to experience the complete Master Chief story before Halo 5 releases. 

Parker

Why are they doing a HD remake of halo 4? IMO halo's boring. Never understood the hype, just a green guy with no personality killing covenant and flood, how he gets voted best gaming character is beyond me. 

People that vote for those awards (at least that's what I think) don't think about these things enough! They just look at the popular games

Edited by Rubieno

I liked that you explained your reason why you think Halo is overrated. Now to be honest, every character is overrated but the majority of that poll thought that Master Chief is a great character. 

Edited by Dirty Stinking Hobo

every character is overrated

Except Qwark :)

I have played through the first game at my nephews house and played quite a bit of the multiplayer of 2 with them. I have to say they are fun games but definitely not worth the hype. Although I have the same feelings about the Uncharted series as well. Great games but I am not ruining my pants in excitement over another one being released.

Also to those GREATEST character polls, you have to take those with a huge grain of salt. A lot of people don't really know what makes a great character and will instead vote on their favourite game (thinking the two are interchangeable). What makes a fun game and what makes a compelling character/story are usually very different things. I love Zelda and Mario games but I would NEVER say those are great characters (yet Link often wins those polls).

If this has a $60 price tag I will definitely get this.  I played the first halo and parts of 2, but I owned ps3 and missed out on almost all of 360 so I really want to play these games start to finish.  I am hoping however that there is only 1, hybrid and huge as hell multiplayer.  It would be awesome if that was the case.

Now why in the hell would you want to post this crap here. I for one don't give to shakes for Xbox. So please stop infecting my Sony love.

He also posted it in Other Platforms > Consoles, clearly you are in the wrong section if you want only Playstation news.

OT: That's pretty cool I guess, I only have liked Reach in that series.

Never cared for the multiplayer, mainly because I'm awful at it. However I think the single player is great unlike a lot of shooters I've played. I think this is the best HD collection I've seen so far.

I'd definitely buy this if I had a Xbox One. I love the Halo franchise and agree with most of what Parker said in his post, except I really liked Halo 2 and 3. (Combat Evolved is my favourite too though) I have a lot of great memories playing the Halo games with my friends/brothers so I'll probably just end up playing it on my brothers Xbox One at some point.

Edited by Hikaru