How do so many people have the Platinum already?

I’m struggling to wrap my head around how less than two months after release, over 5% of people on PSNP and 0.4% of people on PSN already have the Platinum… From my experience, a game rated at 8/10 difficulty and 200 hours for the Plat should have a <1% achievement rate on PSNP and 0.1% on PSN - and that’s long term, not within 60 days of launch. I can’t imagine how people would be cheesing or cheating their way through this, so are Final Fantasy fans really that dedicated? 😂 Because I’ve never seen so many people attempt, let alone attain a Platinum of this caliber (let alone so soon). 

• Confused 2

I got the platinum yesterday and I started playing somewhat late (March 13th) because I played the Intermission DLC and Crisis Core before starting Rebirth, and it took one month to get it. Considering that I don't play every hour of the day because of work and other stuff, I think it comes down to skill and luck but also determination and perseverance (especially for some of the minigames and combat simulations).

There are no shenanigans here - a lot of people got the game early thanks to review codes and stores breaking the release date embargo, plus it's a highly anticipated game so naturally, people are going to spend most of their free time playing it.

• Like 1

I'm personally probably under 10 hours away from completing the plat (just need chapters 13 and 14 on Hard + stuff that depends on "Ultimate Party Animal", so I get to wait for the patch). The part that makes it an 8/10 (at least in my opinion) is the Legendary combat simulators, but they represent a tiny fraction of the actual gameplay time. Even in Hard Mode, there are only a handful of bosses that are likely to eat up a bunch of time (I'm looking at you Gi Nattak).

Edited by guyblade

3 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

I’m struggling to wrap my head around how less than two months after release, over 5% of people on PSNP and 0.4% of people on PSN already have the Platinum… From my experience, a game rated at 8/10 difficulty and 200 hours for the Plat should have a <1% achievement rate on PSNP and 0.1% on PSN - and that’s long term, not within 60 days of launch. I can’t imagine how people would be cheesing or cheating their way through this, so are Final Fantasy fans really that dedicated? 😂 Because I’ve never seen so many people attempt, let alone attain a Platinum of this caliber (let alone so soon). 

Curious to what you mean when you say cheesing? I don't think there is any way to cheese this game as far as I have seen at least. As for cheaters, I'm sure there are some, but it is what it is.

Difficulty rating - Never treat a difficulty rating or a time to complete rating as a single source of truth. Both are applied by the guide writer and are based on their opinions. Some games are spot on with the ratings, others are way off. Even then it can only ever really be defined by how the person plays the game in their own way. The difficulty factor is entirely subjective, and that difficulty generally boils right down to a very tiny, very specific part of the game where it spikes. And honestly, those Optinoob strategies really help.

Player concurrency - It's the biggest release of the year so far, it has consistently been the most played game on PSNP since it was released, at one point reaching 15,000 - 17,000 people playing it on the site alone. A little over 30,000 registered site users own it. There also aren't really any other titles that came out around it to compete either.

200 hours runtime - I think it's easy to chalk someone putting a tonne of time into a game over a two month period as 'no life' - I have an active social life, a busy job, responsibilities outside of work and a decent enough fitness routine. I still managed to clock 200 hours so far. It's entirely possible if you have a suitable lifestyle, are decent enough at games and are intelligent with planning the free time you do have. 

Proportionally, I think that platinum ratio checks out.

If anything though, I would say the platinum rate is too low? If quite a few digital copy owners didn't get hit with the UPA bug, you would likely have seen higher stats when you looked at the data.

Edited by Buff_Cupcake
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Probably cause the guides were rushed out and overestimated both time and difficulty. 

It's probably closer to 120 hours and a 6/10. 

Either that OR

Everyone has mad leet skillz with no life n stuff

4 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

"6/10 difficulty and 120 hours" LOL, that's cute. Anyone who'd make a claim like that has obviously not played the game themselves and surely enough you haven't...so I'm not sure why you're giving yourself the authority to give a verdict Platinum for a game you've never even played. 

Even if you're a pro at FF games, you can only Platinum this game so fast. The open world is just so big and with all the content it'll take you AT LEAST 150 hours (this is PowerPyx's lower estimate and I'm inclined to agree).

I got the plat in 130 hours over 37 days (3.5 hours/day) and I'd give it a 6-7/10 thanks to the great guides that are out now. I spent a lot of extra time failing at the harder VR challenges, so it can definitely be done faster.

After I finished, I was wondering how I could possibly run up the time to 200 hours. Maybe if I spent more time to 100% the play log. Either way, some people just get through games faster than others.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

I couldn't do it even if I wanted to. I've never had the energy to game like that. 

When I look at the leaderboards and see oh so many trophy I have a hard feeling that the top players are bots (metaphorically speaking), so there is your answer:

dont take your habits as the default, that doesnt appliy to the invested gamers who are quite a different bunch of people.

I wouldnt share my account with someone to farm trophies on a single account to accumulate them faster.

I wouldnt invest money into getting 2 consoles to "share accounts" and fast play or however it does work.

And at first I thought "really, there are people doing that?" followed by a quick "that explains a lot".

So simply said: just because you dont do it or deem it impossible or unlikely, this doesnt mean it is either, in fact whenever there is a scoreboard, you better believe there will be people doing whatever they can think of to climb that top spot - within or without the boundaries of any given rules - either because it is entertaining, or because they can, or because it is addictive, or because something that I cant fathom.

• Like 1

The people with the earliest plats probably got early copies.

Final Fantasy fans seem to be pretty dedicated completionists. Quite a few of the FF games have highish plat rates. This game also probably isn't an 8/10 with newer strategies to follow. A lot of the hardest fights in the game can be cheesed with Brumal Form. The magic build is very strong as well. The early guides were mostly focusing on physical damage builds and perfect blocking a lot of attacks. That isn't really the case any more.

Now that they've fixed the G-Bike glitch, I'm sure we'll see quite a few more plats in the coming days as well.

• Like 1

It is truly insane.

I've been playing the game a ton since day 1, and I only got the platinum a few days ago. Mind you, it took me 290 hours to get it. Now I know I'm quite a slow player, plus I did a 3rd playthrough just for fun as I was grinding the VR challenges instead of just doing them all in one go, but still, this is a long ass platinum journey, and I'd expect it to clock in between 150 and 200 hours for most people.

It's also a very difficult platinum at times, and even if you use guides, some strats are just hard to execute and require a decent amount of practice, perseverance, and patience. I used what I thought was a fairly easy build for the Cloud & Zack duo fight, but it still took like 4 hours of practice to actually beat the challenge. Not to mention that many strats require fully maxed blue materia (like Swiftcast or Magic Focus for example) that sometimes need a total of up to 27000 AP to get to level 5.

I used those materia constantly from the moment I got them and they still were nowhere near fully maxed even after 3 playthroughs. It took an additional 4 to 5 hours of AP farming in the Gold Saucer Colosseum to get them to max.

Between all of these factors, and knowing how much time and effort I put into this plat over the course of 5 weeks, I'm honestly stunned that so many people have it already. At first I genuinely thought it might be an Ultra Rare trophy forever. But we're already at almost 6% obtention rate. It's nuts.

• Like 4

I´m 160 hours in now and the only things missing are Bonds of Friendship and 1 more Loveless go through with Yuffie. 

I´ve spent like 3 weeks with the normal playthrough. Then 2 weeks finishing up all the mini games, sidequests and starting VR missions - the normal ones even. The VR missions are such a bad game design that i can´t get myself more then 2-3 hours a day doing even the easy ones. I´ve done 1-2 legendary bouts a day this week.

Honestly, it´s true that the hard ones aren´t even that hard with the builds that are offered out there. They are just inherently annoying and frustrating to learn due to the stupid gauntlet design.

Obviously you can platinum this game in probably sub 100 hours if you know what you are doing and just skip every cutscene even in the first playthrough - but that would be a wierd thing to assume.

The estimate with 150-200 hours and 8/10 difficulty is pretty accurate playing it for the first time not spending a lot of time on guides during the playthrough already. I´m sure the VR missions are not the only show stopper for a lot of people and some design choices are just super bad. 

• Like 1

I got my platinum this week. My job is typically 5-7 days working in a row, then 5-7 days off in a row. Those off days allowed me to crush some Rebirth. I was efficient with my time, I didn't backtrack, I cleared everything as I went. My save file says 155hrs but my PS Profile had me at 162hrs. I am also a little shocked that the platinum is sitting at a 5.49% obtained. Without knowing, I would have guessed we would be closer to 3% platinum only 1.5 months after release. PSNProfile does have a selection bias in their numbers because the most dedicated trophy hunters use this website. The causal masses don't sign up for trophy websites.