Sony considering buying Paramount

majob

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-18/sony-is-said-in-talks-with-apollo-on-a-joint-offer-for-paramount

Sony is apparently mulling over buying out Paramount studios. A small part of me would like this since as a cinephile it's annoying that Paramount films don't qualify for Movies Anywhere but with how small the pool of major studios are as is, this would be better off not happening

Edited by majob

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Would be funny if it happens. Sony bought Bungie the Maker of Halo, and now they buy the studio that makes that god-awful Halo show.

If it were to happen Sony most likely wouldn't keep everything. Apollo, the company they're possibly doing the joint bid with, specializes in selling off parts of assets. Sony would probably keep the film catalogue and some  valuable  IPs like Star Trek but a lot of Paramount would probably be sold off

Edited by majob

54 minutes ago, BEAST_IHMOTEP said:

Top Gun, Transformers, Mission Impossible, South Park, The Godfather, Star Trek…

They have some interesting IPs…

Transformers is owned by Hasbro, Paramount just has film distribution rights. Top Gun is an IP cesspit as Paramount just owns the name iirc

• Like 1

This would get interesting should they fold Paramount+ in with Sony's online platforms. Streaming services really need to start consolidating, b-tier services like Paramount+ are bound to crash soon.

Edited by shadaik
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, shadaik said:

This would get interesting should they fold Paramount+ in with Sony's online platforms. Streaming services really need to start consolidating, b-tier services like Paramount+ are bound to crash soon.

Crackle and Vue don’t paint very good pictures of Sony handling control of any new content much better than they tried in the past. 

16 minutes ago, shadaik said:

I wish they made Sony core more like Netflix or other streaming services. Getting so many movies for free with ps plus is cool, but not sure who would rent every other movie on there individually like they have it now 

I had paramount + there a little while ago, watched the new seasons / movie of beavis and butt head on there and that was pretty much it lol 

Edited by Mr_Fluffy_Pants_

With the exception of Sonic the Hedgehog and Top Gun (which they don't have the full rights to anyway), Paramount have run every single one of their IPs/Licensed Properties, straight into the ground and buried them so deeply, there's little to no chance of them ever being restored to their former glory!

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, shadaik said:

Paramount's not b-tier in my opinion.  I've been watching more things off it than Netflix or Prime lately, although Prime does have Fallout now.

13 hours ago, BEAST_IHMOTEP said:

Top Gun, Transformers, Mission Impossible, South Park, The Godfather, Star Trek…

They have some interesting IPs…

Paramount owns Nickelodeon & Nickelodeon owns... TMNT! If this buyout happanes, there's a chance we'll get Spider-Man/TMNT crossover video game in the near future!

5 hours ago, Virtua_Vince said:

Paramount's not b-tier in my opinion.  I've been watching more things off it than Netflix or Prime lately, although Prime does have Fallout now.

So far, aside from Star Trek, they had nothing new turn any heads. The site is basically nonexistant in public perception. "B-tier" is being really nice to them.

I might be grumpy they pulled Star Trek from Netflix when they decided to go international, though.

• Like 1

I think it depends what you like, I really like Western type stuff, so I'm drawn to 1883, 1923, Lawman Bass Reeves, etc.  Even bits of Yellowstone, though that one has dropped off wildly unfortunately.  And I also liked Halo, I'm not big on its lore or the games, so don't care if he has his helmet off or whatever & of course Twisted Metal that was really good!  And I watched most of the Mission movies, the Top Guns, and a bunch of South Park since I got the sub around Christmas.  There's more stuff there, you mentioned Star Trek, etc.  @shadaik

Am i the only one that thinks sony is so stupid for going after paramount? sure they have decent IP and everything but they should really consider saving that money and invest it in their most profitable division which is GAMING. if they really wanna throw money at something then square enix is literally there waiting to be acquired! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, the_sultan999 said:

Am i the only one that thinks sony is so stupid for going after paramount? sure they have decent IP and everything but they should really consider saving that money and invest it in their most profitable division which is GAMING. if they really wanna throw money at something then square enix is literally there waiting to be acquired! 

It’s highly likely Sony was invited in by the Private Equity group making the bid because it’s more likely to get past scrutiny and there’s something that’s beneficial to Sony in the deal. This isn’t only Sony with a pile of money burning for a purchase. And if Sony isn’t making as much revenue/profit in their other divisions, it makes sense if they can make a low-risk deal to diversify some more or their revenue dependencies. 

Paramount has been trying to get purchased for some time now if I remember correctly. I didn’t hear Square Enix was soliciting takeovers, I had only read some companies wanted to make unsolicited offers, I believe. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 6:59 PM, the_sultan999 said:

Sony Pictures has actually been making more money as of late and gaming revenue is down so it makes sense to futureproof their media division because their only current strong media arm is anime. Also as Daiv said, this isn't just Sony alone, it's a venture with another company, Sony would just also get the benefit of possessing Paramount assets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, fenrir54565 said:

Apparently all of the major shareholders want the Sony offer but the Redmond family prefer the Skydance offer since it gives them pure cash while the rest get stock. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens