User Reviews

Why don't people who've platinumed a game submit, or have reached at least 70% completed, get the option to do a user review?

Like this idea. 

sorry changed my mind after reading posts below.

Edited by oiTHOMio

Sometimes, you need to have the platinum to be able to give a valid viewpoint of a game.

For example, Rayman Legends.

I was really enjoying the game, and then the grind started to reach Max Awesomeness level, which darkened my views on the game. Trophies are a part of the game, and they affect your viewpoint of the game. If I had been allowed to write a review with just the average completion %, I would've sung high praises of it. Now? Nope.

Maybe have a game review, and a trophy review then. Or at least a section where you can address these discrepancies. I realize this is a trophy website and I try to plat most games, but some people - even users of this site - aren't into that. One of these people would benefit much more from your pre-challenge review obviously.

• Like 1

Maybe have a game review, and a trophy review then. Or at least a section where you can address these discrepancies. I realize this is a trophy website and I try to plat most games, but some people - even users of this site - aren't into that. One of these people would benefit much more from your pre-challenge review obviously.

That sounds like a good idea :) And a trophy review should be the one that requires plat (or maybe even 100%).

Someone buys the game plays it with an open mind and truly dislikes the game. They play a couple hours and then sell it back.

I don't want to read an opinion of a person who barely touched the game. I can watch gameplay video and get a better idea. Or read a typical review from a "professional" reviewer.

but restricting it to people with a higher percentage basically only allows people who truly liked the game and hunters/completionists to vote on it.

At least they have seen it all.

There're games that suck at start, but great at the end. There're games that are the opposite.

I have 1% trophy completion on FFX but I put in about 600 hours on the PS2 version, I'm more than capable of writing a review.

For PS2 version, that is. Maybe the port is horrible? Maybe they've changed something? Maybe there're some annyoing issues? How do you know?

Why not let the Guide team have a quick look at the review

If they haven't completed it then their opinion on review is useless. Only if they did - then this would make sence, but still it sounds horrible.
  • Like 1

I would've never have thought of that. Why don't people who've platinumed a game submit, or have reached at least 70% completed, get the option to do a user review?

I don't care for this particular idea:

1. You're alienating part of your users based solely on trophy completion. EVERYONE has an opinion and it should be allowed to be shared.

2. People who platinum games that they don't like...that should be the only exception to #1. Seriously, why am I listening to a person that claims to dislike a game but bothered mastering it and wants the whole world to know?

3. Perhaps the very reason the person didn't bother getting at least 70% trophy completion is tied to their opinion of the game...so lets hear it.

4. Some games have very difficult trophy lists, therefore the feedback of how the ACTUAL GAME itself would be very low with this approach. Many people could actually complete the game, have a variety of opinions on it but just only bothered getting a few trophies do to the difficulty of unlocking the majority of them (see Sine Mora).

Edited by merciful84

I just woke up... This escalated very quickly....

Ok merciful84 has a point, but we can't let someone who barely touched the game give it a 1/10. And I'm pretty sure the guide team won't check reviews like they do with guides. I like your opinion, but getting at 50%, at least sounds good. Meaning they have at least done the story (assuming there is a story), and some of the misc trophies (assuming there are misc trophies).

Edited by TheLastSurvivorD

I just woke up... This escalated very quickly....

Ok merciful84 has a point, but we can't let someone who barely touched the game give it a 1/10. And I'm pretty sure the guide team won't check reviews like they do with guides. I like your opinion, but getting at 50%, at least sounds good. Meaning they have at least done the story (assuming there is a story), and some of the misc trophies (assuming there are misc trophies).

What about games like The Last of Us where you can complete the story without getting anywhere close to 50% completion? In my opinion, having a trophy percentage requirement to write a review is ridiculous and will just prevent a lot of people from writing what could be an amazing review. The more reviews a person writes, the more we understand about them and we can see how honest and reliable they are. If we were to get a review section here I think we should be encouraging people to write reviews, not discouraging them by adding trophy requirements. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

Parker

• Like 3

If you want to write a review, have at it. Just start a new thread in the forum for that game and write away. I don't think we need a full on reviews feature. We are, at the moment at least, a forum of like minded gaming enthusiasts. If this were a magazine type site, then things would be different.

• Like 1

What about games like The Last of Us where you can complete the story without getting anywhere close to 50% completion? In my opinion, having a trophy percentage requirement to write a review is ridiculous and will just prevent a lot of people from writing what could be an amazing review. The more reviews a person writes, the more we understand about them and we can see how honest and reliable they are. If we were to get a review section here I think we should be encouraging people to write reviews, not discouraging them by adding trophy requirements. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

Parker

I actually like Parker's opinion.

Edited by TheLastSurvivorD

3. Perhaps the very reason the person didn't bother getting at least 70% trophy completion is tied to their opinion of the game...so lets hear it.

What about games like The Last of Us where you can complete the story without getting anywhere close to 50% completion? In my opinion, having a trophy percentage requirement to write a review is ridiculous and will just prevent a lot of people from writing what could be an amazing review.

Good points, I totally retract my previous thoughts. I think my friend finished Last of Us with 1% and didn't sit through credits to even get end of story trophies.

Its a tough one, what if anyone could write a review but the users voted on them. The highest rated reviews get top billing.

No one.  Parker is one of the Moderators on this site and I'm pretty sure I noticed Sly was in this forum yesterday as I was reading so it's been looked at.  If they think it's a good idea and not overly complicated they'll make it happen.

What about if we make it a short review rather than full. Like max a 100 words so we know the people is giving an honest opinion and plus it won't put the read off. 

IMO the review system Steam uses is a good base to start making the changes:

- They have just good/bad option, so at least have good/neutral/bad or even better, 5-star rating that allows more room.

- They only let people who have played at least two hours comment. As Steam counts the actual play-time, I also find restricting by earned trophies to work better. One trophy is way too little, platinum is way too much. I'd say something around 15-30% completion should weed out totally unnecessary reviews, but give enough room for those that just don't want to / can't complete the full game.

Although overall I don't really see any need for this kind of system implementation.

• Like 1

IMO the review system Steam uses is a good base to start making the changes:

- They have just good/bad option, so at least have good/neutral/bad or even better, 5-star rating that allows more room.

- They only let people who have played at least two hours comment. As Steam counts the actual play-time, I also find restricting by earned trophies to work better. One trophy is way too little, platinum is way too much. I'd say something around 15-30% completion should weed out totally unnecessary reviews, but give enough room for those that just don't want to / can't complete the full game.

Although overall I don't really see any need for this kind of system implementation.

I think thats too little, you can finish games like TLoU and only get under 10% trophies from 1st playthrough, i would say at least 60%.

I think thats too little, you can finish games like TLoU and only get under 10% trophies from 1st playthrough, i would say at least 60%.

There's always exceptions to the rule, simply have to draw the line somewhere where the majority is.

• Like 2

I like how people have neglected the answer "There's no plans to implement a review system any time soon. If you want to write a review, just do it" and instead have constructed an elaborate system to organise the moderating of it as well as a set of rules to decide who should be allowed to write a review and who should be told to go away and bother somebody else.

And it'll probably remain so for the next 10 pages

Something to read at least I guess

I also like the fact that no one has actually gone and written a review, despite all the talk on this thread about how cool it would be and how it should be regulated.

My 2 cents: If you want to write a review, go ahead and write one. No one can stop you, regardless of whether you're an S rank or an F rank on here.

Hell, even if you're review is based on 1 hour of gameplay that you hated so much that you turned the game off and threw the disc at the nearest large body of water, your opinion may still be cogent and intelligent as to why that game deserved it. Write your review sh**-panning the game, and post it in the forums for our edification.

But all this talk of the minutia of who should be able to submit a review and whether they need to have completed and if they haven't well maybe that's ok if they have at least a B rank but then some games need a green light because you can complete it with an E rank... etc is getting kinda silly.