Playing for 15 hours safe ?

Tomoko Kuroki

Is this bad for the ps3 ?

Ive done this while playing cod for YEARS on my old fat ps3, but I have a superslim now. 

Was wondering if this could cause problems with my ps3 ? Reason  ask is im playing mugen souls and game froze 3 times in 165 hours. This game already has serious framerate issues and a bunch of other problems, but still, thought I would ask about the ps3 as prevention

As long as it's in an open area, it'll be fine. I recently got a superslim and have gone on multiple 10+ hour marathons, and I haven't had any problems. Might want to move the figures away from the PS3 though, the superslim runs kind of hot, so it may cause some damage to your figures.

Also, this isn't really the right place to post stuff like this. Only stuff related to the site is supposed to go here. Questions about consoles and games should go to their individual forum.

Edited by ExHaseo

If you leave your PS3 on for like a day every now and then for whatever reason (getting a trophy or you just forgot about it) or simply just play for a long time, that's usually fine. Just remember to turn your PS3 off periodically to give it a rest though, don't just leave it running 24/7 when you aren't using it. :P

Also, this section of the forums (Feedback, Suggestions, & Bugs) is for specific issues regarding this website - technical issues and suggestions for the PSNProfiles website itself, something like this should probably be in the PlayStation 3 section of the forums. No big deal though, just a heads up for if you make another thread like this in the future ;)

Is this bad for the ps3 ?

Ive done this while playing cod for YEARS on my old fat ps3, but I have a superslim now. 

Was wondering if this could cause problems with my ps3 ? Reason  ask is im playing mugen souls and game froze 3 times in 165 hours. This game already has serious framerate issues and a bunch of other problems, but still, thought I would ask about the ps3 as prevention

I don't think the problem is your console but the game itself. Mugen Souls and MSZ have reports of the game having freezing issues.

http://mugen-souls.wikia.com/wiki/Mugen_Souls_glitches

http://mugen-souls.wikia.com/wiki/Mugen_Souls_Z_glitches

Let me be absolutely clear : I WOULD ABSOLUTELY NEVER CONDONE THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUT:

I do know a guy who literally NEVER turns his PS3 off. He has one of the original slim models. He leaves his ps3 running at all times! He leaves it on when he goes to sleep and when he goes to work. He's literally never turned it off in 3-4 years now.He even goes on hardcore marathon sessions when he wakes up/gets home from work.  His PS3 is somehow still going strong. Personally, my slim is also going very strong after several years of hardcore marathon usage including marathon movie sessions combined with marathon gaming sessions. 

Just to help put your minds at ease a little. These original slim models appear to be quite durable.

it can cause overheating, i am on my second ps3 after i burned out my old one from playing all day on a boiling australian day.

from what i could understand there is some sort of sealent in the ps3 that holds in something crucial and if it gets to hot it melts and fails to do its job.

if you're like me and some days you just cant get away from a good game try to make it a habit to turn your ps3 off everytime your going away for very long (when you have a shower or eat for example) just to try and give it a chance to cool down.

EDIT: my version that broke was a fat model dont know if that would be considered important.

Edited by Terarded

The fatties had heat issues, with solder slowly overheating and the board warping. If you game for 15 hours straight your ps3 will be ok, not so sure about you. Like most things that create heat, if it is well ventilated, you should be fine. If air can't get around it properly, don't bother.

If it's just for downloading you'll be golden, the system uses up much less ressources and therefore needs less power and creates less heat.

I cook meth 24 hours non-stop and I still function well. I just need Jesse to listen to me.

when I was your age, I used to play with my brother.. he takes the ps3 for 12 hours then i take it for 12 hours.. we did this for 3 days (it was a weekend) nothing happened, it never broke bad.

Now THAT is classic :D I've just gotten into the show recently and it's mind-glowingly good haha. I love how this is your first post too :P

And by the title I thought you meant "Is it safe for your health" rather than "Is it safe for your PS3" haha. Seriously though, I would say it's not a good idea for either your health OR the PS3. I always make sure to take at least a 15 minute break every 2 hours; or a bit more if I'm playing a 3D game (bad for your eyes that stuff is).