Studio Ghibli is Closing Down!

ShadowGandalf

I literally just read this piece on The Escapist. I've not seen very many Ghibli movies. In fact, only 2. I've only seen Spirited Away and Ponyo, and played Ni No Kuni, but this will no doubt be shocking to those who are bigger anime fans than I.

Click here to see where I read it. More sources at the link destination. What do you think about this?

EDIT: Just seen an update. I've posted it here. See post #24

Edited by ShadowGandalf

60837-Darth-Vader-NO-gif-KO5v.gif

I feel really bad. They were a great studio with great movies.

Rest in piece, Studio Ghibli.

Just to be clear... the animation studio is closing down but Ghibli isn't dying completely. This quote is from The Escapists article:

According to Suzuki, the company will transition to focus on licensing and merchandising characters and trademarks from its various classic films, while maintaining a small staff for "Miyazaki projects," though without an animation studio it is unclear what such projects would entail.

Wow that's really sad to hear. Their movies always had a special charm to them that I really liked. I hope there will at least be a spiritual successor to them that can make the same quality of movies they did.

UPDATE... just pulled this quote from the Escapist article:

Update: Kotaku's Brian Ashcraft is reporting that some of the conflicting reports about Studio Ghibli's future may be informed by incorrect translations of Toshio Suzuki's interview with the MBS program Jounetsu Tairiku.

In addition, SlashFilm's Russ Fischer is similarly reporting that Ghibli's plans are closer to "housecleaning" or "restructuring," though it's not yet clear whether that means the studio's animation department will remain open.