Helping people with trophies: when to draw the line?

fabmorais_2011

Ever since I've started going for the online trophies on my game list, I've had all sort of experiences with people online, mostly, to my surprise, very positive. (Namely the people I've met to go for the platinum on LittleBigPlanet, who were all, without exception, great. The same goes for the people I've met through UMVC3.)

There's one thing that's been bugging me though, although thankfully it is the exception, not the rule.

Even though people are almost always willing not only to help back but reasonable enough to know what they really need help with and what they can do by themselves with a little effort, there's always a "freeloader" so to speak.

For instance, I've met a guy who needed help with 4 particularly tough multiplayer trophies. I've organized a 4 players session and we managed to get 3 of them. Afterwards, I've tried to organize a second session for us to get the remaining one, but, even tough I've tried more than once, it was never possible for one reason or another. Eventually, I gave up and told all involved: "look I'm done trying to organize this, it's too much of a hassle for one trophy. But if you still want it, hit me up and I'll see what I can do." Weeks after, I receive a message from the same guy saying: "I still need that trophy". Period. Like he doesn't need to put on any effort for that to happen.

Another thing is people who ask for help with things that they can do on their own but if you help them it would save them time. For me, this is a no. I'm more than glad to help with trophies that are next to impossible to get on one's own. But not with trophies that I've got with the sweat of my brow just to give it to you hassle free. (Unless, of course, it's a mutual thing we've previously agreed on.)

I know this may be sounding harsh and judgy, but I feel that there are some times when you really have to draw the line.

Do you guys agree? If so, what makes you draw the line when helping people online?

• Like 4

I suppose that guy should take the initiative and set up a session of his own, but maybe he's just not bothered about getting it as much as you are.  

I just help people that need help (if I can help them) regardless of what it is, I think maybe you're a bit to harsh to be honest, if someone can either struggle to get a trophy alone or get a friend to help and it becomes much easier, why wouldn't you get some help? 

I just hate the fucks that get their trophy and leave, they should be banned from creating and joining sessions. 

Yeah, the second one will really depend on the case: of course I would help if it's a simple thing -- I just feel a bit odd helping with things that can be done without any help, just with some effort. But I don't mean to sound harsh or to say that I WOULDN'T help on any case.

Edited by fabmorais_2011

Iv'e helped quite a few people with trophies over the years and like you , most have been surprisingly helpful

and nice but like you i have had some people where everyone has gotten their trophies and a particular person

hasn't , i personally played until they got their trophy as that's what i said in the session

but i do know what you mean as where to draw the line i'm not sure

depends on the trophy and the time and everyone else as well , i just try to help as much as i can .

• Like 1

I stayed boosting Uncharted 2 for nearly two months after getting the 100%

A lot of the people I boosted with have become really good friends, and we help each other with other games too, however you will always get people who will push their luck and take advantage.

I know now where to draw the line and where to start saying no!

Yes, as I've said these are exceptions: one of the biggest suprises I've had when I've started boosting trophies online is how nice people can be. I've got several friends now that I help when they need help and they also help me whenever they can. I also always stay on boosting sessions until everyone got their trophies and always leave a message when I'm done helping saying I won't be available anymore for future players.

I only feel the need to draw the line when people start to almost demand help, you know. Or when they don't show the minimal courtesy and civility. I've started this thread mainly as a way of knowing what people think on the subject. I'm fairly new to online gaming to be honest.

I normally draw the line when they are basically asking me to do the trophy for them and they sit back and watch.  Kind of like a co-op game but it's too hard for them so they'll rather find someone good at the game and just watch and not help.  I've had a few like that over on the Xbox side of things, very annoying when you're getting overcrowded with enemies and your co-op partner is still at the starting point of the map, idling.

I don't like helping people who are like "Hey, lets do all 500 matches in this one session!", seriously no, I have a life outside of this (500 can be an all day job depending how you can boost it), they always seem very pushy and are the most likely people to go off and find another boosting partner to speed things up (then be like they done them, then you have to go and find someone new which depending on the game's popularity can either be an easy task or very hard task).  I like finding people who will go at your pace and be good with communication when it comes to deciding on the next time we boost, these are best ones personally.

People who do not want to take turns in wins.  This is always a red card to me, if they aren't going to take turns in wins, it's safe to assume they'll do a hit and run kind of job with you.  Unless there's a trophy for ranking up where it's better to win a lot of matches in a row (for example, SFxT's C Rank only takes about 25+ wins if you do them in a row, but could be a lot more time consuming if you didn't), there's no excuse for not wanting to take turns.  It means if you did run off when your trophy unlocked, at least it wasn't a complete waste for the other.

As for helping with trophies outside of the session, I'll do that, if it's a fighting game, games like Blazblue require you to do certain combos, not everyone has a second controller or it may be easier to do with someone online (counter attack, the other player needs to be doing something as you do the combo), but I only do this kind of thing after the session and really don't mind, if they helped me get over the online then I'll be okay helping them with whatever they wanted (so long as it wasn't too difficult of a task or they couldn't combo for shit - which means time consuming and watching them fail it over and over again).  I've even done this over on Fable II on the Xbox 360, you unlock achievements in that game, people who join your game can also unlock them.. again it is only something I offer to those who did help me in the online of a game.

I personally try not to boost.  Unless the game's online is dead or way too laggy to play online properly, these are the only times I would boost.

In Brutal Legend I've also met that guy from Canada and nailed that long online grind, and that took a lot of time! Finally I've got the platinum but he had to complete the game on brutal difficulty, and he couldn't, so I tried to do it for him using his account, and I did, but I couldn't sync the trophies, not sure why. He was so patient and polite. We became good friends, every once in a while when I stop gaming for like a month he send me messages, just asking how am I doing.. one time he was worried that I might be dead in the wars all around where I live in this planet, lol.

He sounds sweet, but you really shouldn't accept these "boosting" requests, it's against Sony's rules (I think?), to share your account with anyone and it's a very silly thing to do since you could have totally stolen it if you had wanted. This is also one I draw the line with.. never have got requested to take anyone's account though to do trophies for them.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 3

I feel you man! An idiot couple of days ago added me to boost Grid 2 online trophies, I only needed to win 1 race against him so I've sent him a message about it since he's using really fast cars that I don't own and so it's near impossible in this game to beat a lot faster car than yours. He just kept winning and ignoring my request, and when I quit the session he invite me back! Blocked him the next day and met a good guy from Portugal and now we only need one trophy to platinum (grinding levels).

In Brutal Legend I've also met that guy from Canada and nailed that long online grind, and that took a lot of time! Finally I've got the platinum but he had to complete the game on brutal difficulty, and he couldn't, so I tried to do it for him using his account, and I did, but I couldn't sync the trophies, not sure why. He was so patient and polite. We became good friends, every once in a while when I stop gaming for like a month he send me messages, just asking how am I doing.. one time he was worried that I might be dead in the wars all around where I live in this planet, lol.

I think it all boils down to common decency and good sense :) Brutal Legend is a long grind and I was lucky to have a pretty good and reliable partner as well -- we've become friends and helped each other with LBP afterwards. I've helped a lot of people with the Schaefer trophy on Brutal Legend and with the ones for tough kills with some of the factions as well. (Can still help, BTW)  As long as everyone is patient and polite, I'm all for helping! Good luck with your Grid plat!

• Like 1

First of all, some people need better understanding on what kind of help on trophies they are asking. And for me, that’s where you draw the line.

If you’re asking for a simple task that needs to be done in order to get that trophy, I’m fine with that. But if it requires grinding, dedication and time, I may not commit since we all have different schedules with what we do in our personal lives. There’s always a solution if you understand better what needs to be done.

I will try to help as much as I can, but NOT all people who I helped reciprocate that. Some people just walk away after they are done. It sucks sometimes but it’s understandable and I don’t hold grudge. I just move on and find others who can help me.

Done plenty of helping myself as well as plenty of being helped and like you say the majority of people are brilliant and I have met some awesome guys through this and I still boost with them now. I could sit and name them all but they will know who they are.

The one major things that p****s me off are the hit and run guys who take off before everyone has finished, there is nothing worse but you see the same kind of names floating about so I just kick them from the sessions or whatever now rather than waste my time!!

id draw the line if they are to pushy or rude bout it, although i haven't had that happen. but the guys that play then get what they want and quits makes me mad, i was helping this one guy on sc5 with the rank trophies, not only was the connecting issue just trying to find him bad, then after he got it and i still needed help with it he just ups and quits and deletes me  :angry: but thankfully someone else helped me get it  :P

My general rule when boosting:

1. You help me, I'll help you.

2. You don't help me, I don't help you.

3. You waste my time on this boosting, well f*** you then.

All the more reasons to hate multiplayer trophies.

• Like 1

I primarily boost coop games such as borderlands, deadrising 2, etc for the exact reasons you've mentioned. There will always be a freeloader who'll take advantage of the situation.

I draw the line at coop games unless you are and have been my friend on this site or PSN for awhile. If a good friend needs help boosting a few trophies, I'm game. If not, then no.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

In general, I DO hate multiplayer trophies, but I have to admit that in the case of LBP, for instance, they've helped me experience the game at its fullest.

For sure. I played lbp for years until deciding to go for the platinum. MP trophies for other games like aeotm for acb can be a bit annoying without good teammates co-operating. 

• Like 1

I have personally never been asked or needed for trophy help... or at least not that I recall. I've had friends ask me to help them with certain trophies (some that I needed as well), where I've been more than willing to help.

I'd have to say that the way the person(s) acts plays a huge role for me. If they are very persistent, rude or "selfish" then it's very unlikely that I will even breathe next to them. I'm kind of iffy when it comes to adding people, so it's rare that I run into people like this. If there ever did come a time where someone I didn't know needed my help and they were genuinely polite about it (and stayed that way), then sure. As long as they have the ability to communicate and understand what the common goal is.

Forgot to mention that I rarely play the co-op/multiplayer portion in games as it is, which may be the reason why I haven't been asked.

Edited by Junko

In online I just hate people that say that will help you to get the online trophies and then they get it without telling you nothing.

This happened to me recently, I got Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate for PS Vita and after I got all the trophies I asked for help to get the last online trophies. I got it with the help from the 5th stranger that was in need of those trophies as well. The other 4 gamers just said OK, and then I got to know that they already got the platinum with other people. And then they didn't even have the courage to respond to my messages.

Stupid online games.

I think online games are suppose to be fun so who loves the game will play online with others. And also there are the times that they create awful onlines... I want to go back to my PSone/PS2 times where the only times I played with others was with my brother. The rest was me playing my games my way.

• Like 1

Was doing Crysis 3 the other night. 11 of us taking turns boosting pinger and VTOL kills, while knocking out some of the other easy random trophies, one person running around just focusing on the challenges and not helping anyone else. So frustrating.

I organized a split/second boosting session a while back. 2 guys (out of 6) showed. One left after 20 minutes. Ended up boosting the entire thing 1 pt at a time for both of us over a 4 night period 1-2 hrs a night. That took a lot of trust since you can't trade wins for that game. That guy will always have a place on my friends list.

I usually finish up a games' online and keep helping until all the people I was boosting with get what they need. I sell a lot of games back but I always wait until my partners don't need anymore help before doing do. I still occasionally offer to help with bling brigade or something like that, that isn't very time consuming, just a pita to organize.

My main thing is LEARN HOW TO BOOST THE GAME BEFORE ATTEMPTING IT

This happened for Quantum of Solace where we had an awesome group going but someone new would join and just start killing everyone. We would explain that you need to take turns and after 16 kills you switch (it is just how that game is done). Then the next round they would be be blasting everyone again. We would give one more chance and then boot you from the session.

If you follow the rules everyone gets the plat, if you fuck around and go into business for yourself...well we are going to ban you ^_^

Oh, that really happens more often than I would expect. Some people are just so eager to just get the goddamn trophy they don't even do basic research before trying to boost. It's not uncommon to lose precious gaming time just explaining what your partner should do (which can take long if you don't use a mic). People should definitively do their homework BEFORE boosting any trophy online. :|

Edited by fabmorais_2011
  • Like 1

I'm always up for helping others with trophies and getting help with trophies although I'm less inclined to if I already have the trophy. However say there is a big grind co-op/mp trophy, and there are easier trophies to do along the way that I've gotten, I'll gladly help. Obviously I don't share my account with anyone. Personally, I don't really see what your point of this article is. I'm not trying to cause an issue here, but I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. For instance in BLOPS 2, I had all trophies but the last easter egg. I had done most of them with a friend, but he gave up after multiple tries (he already had it). I didn't try to get it by myself as I wasn't interested in re-planning. We had already organized who would do what step and it worked. As such, I waited several months till he was up for giving it a go, and eventually we got it. I didn't try without him, but it made sense not to.

Personally, I don't really see what your point of this article is. I'm not trying to cause an issue here, but I think you are making a big deal out of nothing.

No point, really, and it's not an article :) As I said before, I just wanted to know how people feel about it since I'm fairly new to online gaming, and, even though my experience has been largely positive, there are some annoying issues. From the responses, I see that some people can relate as they are sharing their own stories. Maybe I came on too strong on the first post, but it was not my intention.