Today's Music ?

dannyboy_devil

Whats your opinion on today's music ??

Do you like it or you do think its getting lazy and the lyrics to songs don't seem to matter anymore

Plus.. tell me what you think music is and what it stands for.. would love to hear your opinions !!

Edited by dannyboy_devil

I don't really know, if you mean like the popular music of today..  that stuff is kind of terrible, generic crap.  But I do like it when my favorite bands release new stuff, although they probably aren't considered "today's" music (they were more popular in 80s-90s).

Also.. to answer that next thing, not really sure, but I guess music is one of those things that don't really have a language barrier, you can still listen to it and enjoy it.  Kind of like how one of my favorites: X-Japan explains all the time.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 1

Music is and for ever will be a constantly evolving medium. I'm still quite young but I appreciate and love music no matter the year or genre and is the 2nd passion in my life (gaming is my first). 

There is a lot of fantastic music out there, you just have to find out whats right for you. I'll be honest, I don't really like the stuff that tops the charts but some of it can be quite catchy. But some of of my favourite bands currently out now are:

The Black Keys (blues/rock), La Roux (80's style pop), Elbow (slow, melodically rock), Kanye West (hip hop), Brookes Brothers (Drum & Bass), Bon Iver (Acoustic rock), Sigur Ros (experimental rock), Disclosure (dance pop), Todd Terje (Funk, Electro), Work Drugs (psychedelic rock), LCD Soundsystem (Electro-Rock), KOAN Sound (electronica), Justice (Electronica), Gorlliaz (pop, rock, electro, hip hop), The Prodigy (Electronica-Rock-Punk), Flume (Electronica), Wu-Tang Clan (Hip hop)

Those are some of my favourite artists who are either new-ish or have been around for a while and still making good music. Don't just listen to whats on the radio because today there is music for anyone out there being made right now, you just have to find it.

Just like our sense of taste everyone has a selective taste in music, I Don't hate a Music Jandra.

I Simply try to be Open-Minded to what I hear, I Always believe There has to be 1 Good/Great Song that comes out from Each Artist in their career.

You may not Like Everything, But you also can't Hate everything in it.

People bash Country in a Instant, but I found there's some good Country songs out there too.

I Stooped hearing the Radio, and Started searching on my Own Online, because obviously Mainstream is going to Re-Replay the same songs the whole day.

This is Just My Opinion

Music is and for ever will be a constantly evolving medium. I'm still quite young but I appreciate and love music no matter the year or genre and is the 2nd passion in my life (gaming is my first). 

There is a lot of fantastic music out there, you just have to find out whats right for you. I'll be honest, I don't really like the stuff that tops the charts but some of it can be quite catchy. But some of of my favourite bands currently out now are:

The Black Keys (blues/rock), La Roux (80's style pop), Elbow (slow, melodically rock), Kanye West (hip hop), Brookes Brothers (Drum & Bass), Bon Iver (Acoustic rock), Sigur Ros (experimental rock), Disclosure (dance pop), Todd Terje (Funk, Electro), Work Drugs (psychedelic rock), LCD Soundsystem (Electro-Rock), KOAN Sound (electronica), Justice (Electronica), Gorlliaz (pop, rock, electro, hip hop), The Prodigy (Electronica-Rock-Punk), Flume (Electronica), Wu-Tang Clan (Hip hop)

Those are some of my favourite artists who are either new-ish or have been around for a while and still making good music. Don't just listen to whats on the radio because today there is music for anyone out there being made right now, you just have to find it.

Some really good artist there.. i do enjoy listening to Disclosure and use to love Gorillaz when i was younger

Wu tang clan have had some amazing rap hits.. Lyrically they are great on the mic !

I don't pay attention to music like I used to, just listen to whatever is on my iTunes. From what I have heard, I have no complaints. Old, new, makes no difference. Music is music. It can still provide me with inspiration no matter where it came from.

In my opinion, the music that reaches the top of the charts these days is complete crap in comparison to what would've been at the top back in the 80's or 90's, so i think people's taste is music has become much worse, though there's still plenty of good music out there these days, you just have to find it which has been made difficult by the media because they like to air the same sh*t all the time, usually these 20-25 year old black autotuned rappers.

Some really good artist there.. i do enjoy listening to Disclosure and use to love Gorillaz when i was younger

Wu tang clan have had some amazing rap hits.. Lyrically they are great on the mic !

Thanks! if you haven't listened to some of the ones I mentioned, give them a go! Especially Flume, The Black Keys, La Roux and Justice :)

With regards to the majority of the music that's cluttering up the charts these days, I just don't like most of it.  Countless people go crazy over the likes of Rihanna, Bruno Mars, John Legend, Daft Punk, Sam Smith, Ariana Grande.... personally, I wouldn't give any of them any of my money.  When I'm at work, these people seem to be the only bands getting played on the radio station that my colleagues insist on listening to.  You very rarely hear a song from any of the singers/bands that I grew up listening to.

In my opinion, the music that reaches the top of the charts these days is complete crap in comparison to what would've been at the top back in the 80's or 90's, so i think people's taste is music has become much worse, though there's still plenty of good music out there these days, you just have to find it which has been made difficult by the media because they like to air the same sh*t all the time, usually these 20-25 year old black autotuned rappers.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I fucking detest it whenever people blindly say, "Music is shit these days - the music was so much better way back when", etc. Unless that person has an astute knowledge of every single song being released, or every band currently writing music, then such a statement holds no water. 

It is true that songs currently dominating the charts are more like commercial commodities than actual music; they stick to a particular formula they know is popular and rinse-repeat. However, that does not mean there are no fantastic bands writing sublime songs - it simply means you have to look a little longer and harder to find them. I have stumbled upon a multitude of seriously talented, fresh bands over the course of the past few months.

It's even more interesting that someone can say something like that while having a resource like the internet at their fingertips with literary tons of ways to find new content. It's not like we live in the days where people were checking through crates of vinyls or cassette tapes, good music is there if you really want to look for it and way easier now than before.

• Like 1

It is true that songs currently dominating the charts are more like commercial commodities than actual music; they stick to a particular formula they know is popular and rinse-repeat. However, that does not mean there are no fantastic bands writing sublime songs - it simply means you have to look a little longer and harder to find them. I have stumbled upon a multitude of seriously talented, fresh bands over the course of the past few months. 

This is true. Who knows what the #1 song in 1969 was? Oh, it's got to be something from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, maybe Led Zeppelin, right? Nope, "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies.

2956606.jpg

These fucking guys. They weren't even a real band.

I've already discussed this elsewhere, but there's a known phenomenon about the perception of the quality of music over time. Subjectively it seems older music seems better than newer music. That's only because the quality stuff gets remembered, while the crap gets forgotten. I guarantee there was crap floating around back then. Like The Archies. Or The Monkees, they were known as the Pre-Fab Four for a time because their music was notoriously constructed for commercial success. Everyone I know speaks fondly of Nirvana and all the other good music from as late as the 90s, but who remembers Hanson? I sure do, I couldn't wait till they got their ass off the charts, but I guarantee you haven't given them a second thought until I just mentioned them. And Creed. And The Goo Goo Dolls. (Sorry if someone legit likes those bands, but not really) The point is, like everyone else said, if you have access to the internet, then you have no room to complain about bad music. Get your ass off the radio and away from the Billboard charts and start digging. It's out there, I guarantee it.

• Like 2

It's even more interesting that someone can say something like that while having a resource like the internet at their fingertips with literary tons of ways to find new content. It's not like we live in the days where people were checking through crates of vinyls or cassette tapes, good music is there if you really want to look for it and way easier now than before.

This is true. Who knows what the #1 song in 1969 was? Oh, it's got to be something from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, maybe Led Zeppelin, right? Nope, "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies.

2956606.jpg

I've already discussed this elsewhere, but there's a known phenomenon about the perception of the quality of music over time. Subjectively it seems older music seems better than newer music. That's only because the quality stuff gets remembered, while the crap gets forgotten. I guarantee there was crap floating around back then. Like The Archies. Or The Monkees, they were known as the Pre-Fab Four for a time because their music was notoriously constructed for commercial success. Everyone I know speaks fondly of Nirvana and all the other good music from as late as the 90s, but who remembers Hanson? I sure do, I couldn't wait till they got their ass off the charts, but I guarantee you haven't given them a second thought until I just mentioned them. And Creed. And The Goo Goo Dolls. (Sorry if someone legit likes those bands, but not really) The point is, like everyone else said, if you have access to the internet, then you have no room to complain about bad music. Get your ass off the radio and away from the Billboard charts and start digging. It's out there, I guarantee it.

See, these guys know what's up. 

tumblr_lymu3n28hc1roz60ho1_r2_400.gif

• Like 1

2956606.jpg

Creed were a decent band, Mark Tremonti is a brilliant guitarist who actually possesses the main ingredient needed in music - talent!!

We just want Freddie back :(

Amen to that - presuming you mean Mercury? Best frontman in music of all time bar none!!!

On topic, commercial music nowadays is absolutely awful, it is more about image than anything which is why there are great rock/blues bands/artists out there but people don't give a shit because it isn't what is deemed to be cool!!! So we are forced to listen to shit like Bieber, Rihanna, One Direction etc etc - makes me want to puke!!! If the best songs of the year are things like Gangnam Style then something is seriously wrong!!

• Like 1

I think today's music has had it's flaws and hits. I mean music together combined with social media found us Soulja Boy(He's not really a Soldier) and his crazy dance that everyone was doing back in 06. It's also turned people like Justin Bieber who was not well off and had no hope into decent music singer (He was decent at the beginning and middle of his current career). I think if the right people are given chances, current music of this decade can produce many great hits. 

Also old music had it's flaws, people weren't singing Vanilla Ice's songs because they were good, they were cheesy and something that give the person an emotion to feel . I think people need to go in open minded about current music and search for songs they like or could like. 

I mean current music can't be that bad if people all around the world did Pharrell's "Happy", huh?  People of all ages did that song and some of they probably hate Pop. 

I can't speak for all genres but R&B and Hip-Hop definately sucks today. Autotunes and fame superceding actual talent has made the genre laughably bad to me.

Not to be rude, but it seems like you're talking about American Hip Hop and R&B(I would say the British counterparts are catching up). When a country becomes famous as America in the media industry, some stuff has to be trash but I would think not all Hip Hop and R&B is bad. I do respect your opinion tho so I won't try to change your mind.

"One cannot change one's mind, they have to let them change for themselves."

I think today's music has had it's flaws and hits. I mean music together combined with social media found us Soulja Boy(He's not really a Soldier) and his crazy dance that everyone was doing back in 06. It's also turned people like Justin Bieber who was not well off and had no hope into decent music singer (He was decent at the beginning and middle of his current career). I think if the right people are given chances, current music of this decade can produce many great hits. 

Also old music had it's flaws, people weren't singing Vanilla Ice's songs because they were good, they were cheesy and something that give the person an emotion to feel . I think people need to go in open minded about current music and search for songs they like or could like. 

I mean current music can't be that bad if people all around the world did Pharrell's "Happy", huh?  People of all ages did that song and some of they probably hate Pop. 

Not to be rude, but it seems like you're talking about American Hip Hop and R&B(I would say the British counterparts are catching up). When a country becomes famous as America in the media industry, some stuff has to be trash but I would think not all Hip Hop and R&B is bad. I do respect your opinion tho so I won't try to change your mind.

"One cannot change one's mind, they have to let them change for themselves."

No offense taken and yeah I am referring to American based music. Strictly in terms of that, I think the majority of it today is bad. I can think of a few mainstream and non-mainstream exceptions but in general, it sounds like complete half assed garbage.

Lil Wayne, Nikki Minaj, Drake, Rihanna etc absolutely SUCKS compared to the likes of Tupac, Biggy Smalls, Lil Kim, Nate Dogg, and Faith Evans.

And that's just addressing the Hip-Hop music culture in itself. I also feel that true R&B has almost died as an independent genre in itself and has become a mere sub-genre of Hip-Hop. We don't have anymore Whitney Houstons, Mariah Carreys, Toni Braxtons, Luther Vandross', Peblo Brysons, etc....we had artists galore like this in the 80s and 90s. Music that stands the test of time and not just throw away hits of the day. Even the top female R&B vocalist today (Beyonce) began her mainstream success in the 90s.

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Studies have shown that today's mainstream music has decreased in creativity and originality, but there's always unlimited bands and artists flourishing in the underground scene. While the radio and labels do push oversaturated shit on a constant basis that reach the masses, there is still creative artists making entertaining music with a ton of talent. You cannot decry this generations entire musical collection if you have not delved deep enough to know anyone outside of the radio, that is just ignorant. In essence, music is still the same, it's just hidden, and the commercialized artists of the past were not all that great either, in fact most of them are overrated, but that's just my opinion.