(Rumor) Microsoft in deep thinking of buying Mojang

Khriz134

I’m leaving Mojang
September 15th, 2014
I don’t see myself as a real game developer. I make games because it’s fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me it’s changed games. I never meant for it to do either. It’s certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, I’ve had so much fun with work. I wasn’t exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didn’t understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don’t expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won’t feel a responsibility to read them.

I’m aware this goes against a lot of what I’ve said in public. I have no good response to that. I’m also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. I’m not. I’m a person, and I’m right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

Ya you're leaving One billon dollars richer ya smart mother fucker  :lol:

Shit! Well, at least they're not messing with other versions... For now. Still, another sellout.

Everyone has a price this guy's just happen to be 2 billion.

Also where is that screencap of a tweet  he did a few months ago saying he would basically never sell out for any amount of money in response to the Oculus rift Facebook purchase?

Edited by kidhero99

Playstation versions will be left intact. 

Shame on Microsoft, can't even put their good developers to use, like Rare, but they invest insane amounts of money on one trick ponies like Mojang.

Also screw Notch, leaving because ''it's about my sanity'', what a bullshit excuse, more like, ''I wanted early retirement so I sold out'', I bet that $$$ will be doing great for his sanity now.

Where can Microsoft even take Minecraft? Minecraft 2? NO! Minecraft: TV? NO! Minecraft timed exclusive updates? YES! Minecraft toys? YES! I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Skylanders-esque shit with Minecraft where you buy physical models to change your ingame skin. 

Where can Microsoft even take Minecraft? Minecraft 2? NO! Minecraft: TV? NO! Minecraft timed exclusive updates? YES! Minecraft toys? YES! I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Skylanders-esque shit with Minecraft where you buy physical models to change your ingame skin. 

Too late. I seen a bunch of these the last time I visited Spencers:

109434_1.jpg.jpg

Ya you're leaving One billon dollars richer ya smart mother fucker  :lol:

Who is this quote from? I know what Minecraft is but I've never played and have no intention to. Is he important or something?

I don't see the big deal in all this. So what if it's the top PAID app on some platforms. It's this years Tickle Me Elmo/Angry Birds/whatever. Give it two years and it'll be over. Why are so many people so worked up over this?

Who is this quote from? I know what Minecraft is but I've never played and have no intention to. Is he important or something?

I don't see the big deal in all this. So what if it's the top PAID app on some platforms. It's this years Tickle Me Elmo/Angry Birds/whatever. Give it two years and it'll be over. Why are so many people so worked up over this?

Because people hate on microsoft and they call the xbox inferior. The one thing is that Microsoft has published games on multi-platform while Sony has not. These console wars are akin to racism sometimes, ignorance can be based off nothing.

I don't see the point of buying this, it's a one hit wonder. 

It would be dead in the water right now if it wasn't for the servers, players are making themselves. 

Think of the games 2.5 billion could've funded  :unsure:

GTA V had a budget of 500 million and that game was good, destiny has a budget in the hundreds of millions, with 2.5 billion you could hire, the best writers, best directors, best designers ect.. 

instead they bought mojang. 

Good for Notch, I'm happy for him and I hope whatever path he decides to go down, I hope it makes him happy. 

Good luck Notch the world is your oyster and good luck  Microsoft in working out how that wasn't, just flushing 2.5 billion down the toilet.

• Like 1

I don't see the point of buying this, it's a one hit wonder. 

It would be dead in the water right now if it wasn't for the servers, players are making themselves. 

Think of the games 2.5 billion could've funded  :unsure:

GTA V had a budget of 500 million and that game was good, destiny has a budget in the hundreds of millions, with 2.5 billion you could hire, the best writers, best directors, best designers ect.. 

instead they bought mojang. 

Good for Notch, I'm happy for him and I hope whatever path he decides to go down, I hope it makes him happy. 

Good luck Notch the world is your oyster and good luck  Microsoft in working out how that wasn't, just flushing 2.5 billion down the toilet.

This.

Why spend that much money on Mojang? The only game anyone knows from them is Minecraft. That game is already on PS3 and PS4. So they didn't buy the exclusivity. They paid 2.5 billion for what, then?

Oh well, that's Microsoft for you. Instead of using that money on new, Xbox exclusive, IPs... they buy Minecraft.

It's from this big fat dude who created the game getting ready to sip Mai Tais on a beach somewhere

that's another innovative games designer havin the very thing they created pulled out from under them, gobbled up then spat out ...

minecraft isn't just a game either, a very dull non game in my opinion but with it microsoft have got all the toy rights etc ect... yes there are toys, plush toys, mobil and lego type toys, books, guides, a music vid...

plus i really don't see microsoft cuttin off any games goin to rival platforms either, why would they when the sales would be goin straight to them... unless they wanted to destroy rival sales but minecraft isn't exactly a money makin game is it, it was a fad which is slowly fadin away so be thankful it's only mojang and not R* cause microsoft actually tried to buy them not too long ago also...

mojang can join the exlusive ms sellouts club of rareware, molyneux and bungie now but for 2b they must be laughin...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR