Your earliest gaming memory?

Dreakon139

my earlyest memory of video gaming was either when i was playing contra with my mom, or when my mom told me to finish my soup and then she will give me the gameboy which she just bought for me. i dont know which one came first, but i think contra did

My first gaming memory was playing the Super Nintendo back in '94. Mom bought me a Super Nintendo for my 3rd birthday :) I remember that it came in a bundle with The Flintstones and The Lemmings. I played The Flintstones for AGEEEES. Then later on in the year, Super Metroid came out and blew my little pants off. My uncle bought a Nintendo years before I was born and had the original Metroid and he was pretty blown away with Super Metroid as well. I remember my uncle used to come over just for that game and sit there playing it all while being as still as a statue except for the flickering of his eyes and thumbs.

My mom would call him for some coffee, but he wouldn't respond. She would make me go up to him and ask if he wanted coffee, but he wouldn't respond. I'd come back and tell her that he wouldn't say anything so she told me to go up to the SNES and pretend to turn it off. My little hand was pretty much touching the power switch when he yells "DO IT AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS." ...needless to say he didn't get no damn coffee :unsure:

• Like 1

Playing Sonic the Hedgehog. I don't know what console it was on, but it was a small cube, you could fit it on the palm of your hand, an adult hand, not a child's hand. I think it only played Sonic. I'm looking at variations of the Sega Mega Drive on Wikipedia but none of them are what I'm talking about. Any ideas?

One of my earliest gaming memories was the sight of my uncle wearing sunglasses in the middle of the night, playing Tetris on my dad's old Windows 3 computer. He and my aunt had a competition going on who can get the higher score and I woke up one night to find him like that.

One of my own gaming memories is the first time I played with the NES at another uncle's engagement party. The kids were all put in the same room and we didnt care since we just wanted to play Duck hunt.

Pitfall%21_Coverart.png

My earliest gaming memory was when I visited my grandparents and my uncle had an Atari 2600 and he let me have a go on Pitfall.

I think the first game I ever "owned" was the original Prince of Persia released in 1989. I played that every night until I could complete it.

• Like 1

It would either be Pong or Chopper Command for Atari. I can't believe how young most of you are or how old I am, but then again I think Wade has us all beat.

Man...I loved Chopper Command...Activision used to make some kick ass games back in the day. I really wish I still had my "patches" that I used to collect from the games...old school trophies...you had to take a picture of the screen with your high score on it and then mail it in to Activision. They would send you a collector patch back if the score qualified for their "Player's Club" for their game.

patches_booklet.jpg

• Like 1

It would either be Pong or Chopper Command for Atari. I can't believe how young most of you are or how old I am, but then again I think Wade has us all beat.

It is kind of fun to see people list Nintendo 64 games or newer as their earliest gaming memories. Could mean they are very young, or perhaps that they got into gaming later in life. ;)

I can remember playing Tank on my old Atari 2600 when I was a wee lad.

I can also remember my father downloading computer games on an Apple IIe (when it was the premium PC on the market) from pirate bulletin boards.... and how exciting it was when we upgraded from a 300 baud modem to a 1200 baud modem, thus allowing us to pirate games four times faster. Which is to say, downloading something that took up an entire floppy disk (less than 1 megabyte by today's standards) went from needing 2-3 hours to needing 30-45 minutes.

I feel old.

Oh yeah, JOUST was great. So was Kaboom!

Man...I loved Chopper Command...Activision used to make some kick ass games back in the day. I really wish I still had my "patches" that I used to collect from the games...old school trophies...you had to take a picture of the screen with your high score on it and then mail it in to Activision. They would send you a collector patch back if the score qualified for their "Player's Club" for their game. patches_booklet.jpg

I wasn't old enough to be able to send in for patches or even know about them, but it is a pretty cool feature of the old nostalgic video gaming days.