how hard is veteran difficulty in this game?

Looks like you missed out Sledgehammer. Sledgehammer this year, Treyarch next year then Infinity Ward.

Even without taking into consideration that they're different developers, Call of Duty games have still been getting gradually easier.  The Treyarch games are still the hardest of the lot, but I can't imagine that Sledgehammer will make the most difficult Call of Duty yet.

I can't imagine playing this on veteran. I beat the campaign on recruit mode and died several times during the final couple missions. Maybe they get easier after i've fully upgraded all the exo stats, but i'm not sure. I'll at least give the hardened mode a try to see if i can at least get that trophy.

I'm playing Hardened at the moment, and I've only died very rarely when I didn't know how to use the equipment (e.g. the mobile shield in like the 4th mission called "fission" at the start). Hardened is perfect difficulty for COD games I reckon; Veteran is good to do - and usually not too hard - it's just not as fun because guns like shotguns don't really become viable options/choices any more.

I'll be giving Veteran a crack in the next few days, and I don't expect to have too many issues; I'll update if I find any parts particularly hard :P

Yeah, it was not very hard at all. With the extra movement/dodging from the exo, you can still use pretty much the same tactics for normal mode; just don't miss! It's still a blast on Veteran, but NOT very difficult at all. I only died 16 times in the whole game; and that was usually in a situation where I didn't have any EMP grenades for ASTs for example, or when I ran out with a Shotgun and forgot it was Veteran haha.

3/10 in terms of difficulty; the easiest COD Veteran I've ever played, I reckon