Rumor: Wii U to cost $300 at launch?

Dreakon139

The latest news in the ongoing saga of Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U is a new rumor that the console will be available for a price of $299.99 U.S. Dollars in North America, 299 Euros in Europe, and 20,000 Yen in Japan. Interestingly enough, the latter price comes out to just under $250 U.S. Dollars– $246.49, to be exact.

This rumor comes from Wii U Daily (via My Nintendo News) through an unnamed source, albeit the same one which had previously provided the same site with another rumor regarding the system’s specifications. It is said this is Nintendo’s way of “pricing aggressively” against the competing Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 platforms, which can be had for around $200-$300 USD each, as well as the expected announcements of impending successors to their respective thrones.

Source: http://www.ripten.com/2012/03/01/rumor-wii-u-to-cost-u-299-99/

Thoughts?

I think it's alright. My take on it is that they are probably milking the console when it first launches from all the Nintendo fans willing to buy it, then lower the price to a more reasonable $199.99 when Sony and Microsoft announce/release their next-gen consoles. Make the Wii U the Wii of next-gen consoles... the cheaper alternative.

I think we'll see a repeat of the 3DS here. They will release it at that price and all the "hardcore" (I hate using that term) Nintendo fans will buy it day one, and when the sales drop dramatically we'll see a hefty price cut to make the console appeal more.

I honestly think Nintendo have made an awful decision here, at least with the more serious gamers. Why release a console that is a little more powerful then a PS3/360 when Sony/M$oft are about to release their next consoles which will surely be much more powerful. It just doesn't make since because it seems like most gamers wait for the big boys to release their console than be fed shovelware yet again.

Dear god I hope they don't release a Harvest Moon game on it anytime soon though, otherwise I'll have to buy it. Those games are the only reason I bought my Wii or 3DS...

Parker

i think 300$ is pretty cheap, considering the ps3 launched at 600$ i believe..

but yeah i agree with JP, the price will definitely drop to around 250 or even 200$ just like the 3ds did. although i do like the 3ds.

• Like 1

but yeah i agree with JP, the price will definitely drop to around 250 or even 200$ just like the 3ds did. although i do like the 3ds.

What you have to consider though, is when the PS3 launched Cell technology was brand new (I believe) and it introduced Blu-Ray which also increased the price. Gel, I remember there were some Blu-Ray players that were more expensive than the PS3 when it launched. Technology has been advancing crazy fast and come 6 years later if a "next gen" system is barely better than the current gen ones, something is very wrong, especially when it costs more than a current system but it can't even play DVD's and you can only have one of the WiiU controllers hooked up at once (the one with the screen.)

I think Nintendo realize that they have an extremely loyal fanbase who will buy anything they put out, so they purposefully hike prices up at launch and when the sales dry up they drop the prices.

I'm not saying the 3DS is a terrible system, but it's certainly not a huge step up from the DS and the software library right now is terrible, in my opinion. One of the main reasons I like Sony so much is because I feel like they really listen to their customers. The Vita is a perfect example of that. The biggest feature people wanted from the PSP was dual analog sticks and the Vita got it. People wanted trophy support for the PSP, the Vita got it. People hated UMD's so Sony got rid of them. It really seems like Sony listens to what people want and Nintendo just fucks around and does whatever they want to do. I mean all the 3DS is, is a DS with slightly more power and a really gimmiky effect.

I sincerley hope Nintendo have learned from the mistakes they made with the Wii and have a constant stream of quality titles ready for the WiiU, but my gut tells me I'll just be disappointed with the system.

Parker

• Like 1

What you have to consider though, is when the PS3 launched Cell technology was brand new (I believe) and it introduced Blu-Ray which also increased the price. Gel, I remember there were some Blu-Ray players that were more expensive than the PS3 when it launched. Technology has been advancing crazy fast and come 6 years later if a "next gen" system is barely better than the current gen ones, something is very wrong, especially when it costs more than a current system but it can't even play DVD's and you can only have one of the WiiU controllers hooked up at once (the one with the screen.)

I think Nintendo realize that they have an extremely loyal fanbase who will buy anything they put out, so they purposefully hike prices up at launch and when the sales dry up they drop the prices.

I'm not saying the 3DS is a terrible system, but it's certainly not a huge step up from the DS and the software library right now is terrible, in my opinion. One of the main reasons I like Sony so much is because I feel like they really listen to their customers. The Vita is a perfect example of that. The biggest feature people wanted from the PSP was dual analog sticks and the Vita got it. People wanted trophy support for the PSP, the Vita got it. People hated UMD's so Sony got rid of them. It really seems like Sony listens to what people want and Nintendo just fucks around and does whatever they want to do. I mean all the 3DS is, is a DS with slightly more power and a really gimmiky effect.

I sincerley hope Nintendo have learned from the mistakes they made with the Wii and have a constant stream of quality titles ready for the WiiU, but my gut tells me I'll just be disappointed with the system.

Parker

lol imo, nintendo is trolling. theyre like "hey lets make motion video gaming!" ps3 gets ps move "LOL!!! motion gaming is so last year, we got 3d now" xD

• Like 2

I don't think that's a very good example to base it on. Not only is the PS3 the only console in recent memory to launch at that high of a price, but I feel confident enough that I can say Sony probably considers that a mistake. If Blu-Ray (which was a brand new, very expensive commodity at the time) weren't built right into the PS3, it's price wouldn't be anywhere near $600... but they had to do that to make up the difference and they were actually losing money when the PS3 first launched.

I don't see any kind of technology like that making it's way to the next generation like Blu-Ray did. There just isn't new, rare, expensive hardware like that out right now, as far as I know... and I don't think Sony would be dumb enough to make that particular mistake twice.

I don't think that's a very good example to base it on. Not only is the PS3 the only console in recent memory to launch at that high of a price, but I feel confident enough that I can say Sony probably considers that a mistake. If Blu-Ray (which was a brand new, very expensive commodity at the time) weren't built right into the PS3, it's price wouldn't be anywhere near $600... but they had to do that to make up the difference and they were actually losing money when the PS3 first launched.

I don't see any kind of technology like that making it's way to the next generation like Blu-Ray did. There just isn't new, rare, expensive hardware like that out right now, as far as I know... and I don't think Sony would be dumb enough to make that particular mistake twice.

Nintendo 64DD, Sega Genesis Package, and Atari 2600 launched at those prices.

PSX launched at 800-1200

Nintendo 64DD, Sega Genesis Package, and Atari 2600 launched at those prices.

PSX launched at 800-1200

Really? That's pretty damn impressive considering how the value of a dollar has gone down so much since then.

EDIT: I did say "recent memory" anyways. I don't consider mid-late 90's and earlier as recent. :P

Really? That's pretty damn impressive considering how the value of a dollar has gone down so much since then.

EDIT: I did say "recent memory" anyways. I don't consider mid-late 90's and earlier as recent. :P

Vita: $418 AUD - $600+ Once Running

Wii U (If it sticks around $300) it's a bargain!

I paid £300 for my PSX with one controller in 1996

I paid £370 for my PS2 with 2 controllers and 2 games in 2000

I paid £365 for my PS3 with 2 contollers and 4 games in 2008

Its not exactly rocket science to see that the PS3 was not an expensive games console.... bearing in mind there is 12 years of inflation and wage increases between the PSX and the PS3

I also paid similar figures for Sega Megadrive / Genisis before that.

I havnt wasted money on a Nintendo since N64 in about 1998 and I have no intentions of repeating that mistake.

• 6 months later...