Is Naughty Dog Overrated?

Goro

Is Naughty Dog Overrated?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Is Naughty Dog Overrated?

• Yes
    • No

Quick question, do you think Naughty Dog is an overrated studio? They're often referred to as the greatest video game developer of all time although i personally disagree with this.

They do make some great games, BUT i've played many better games from studios that don't get a percentage of the praise that Naughty Dog do. I've never understood the hype about Uncharted, i simply don't see what's so great about that particular series but that's just me.

Anyways, keep in mind that this is just my opinion and the purpose of this thread is to hear yours, so please give your opinions on this, thanks!

I thought the first Jak & Daxter game was really great, but I just don't see what people love about 2 and 3...maybe I just like 3D platformers more than open world stuff.  As for Uncharted, I simply never understood why people make it out to be the greatest series ever.  Sure, I think the games are good, but I think there's a little Final Fantasy 7 syndrome going on.  Same with Last of Us.

• Like 1

In my opinion, almost everything that's rated highly is overrated. Because when something is rated highly, more people flock to it, and then rate it highly without ever trying out alternatives, or rate it highly because that's what everyone else is doing.

So, yes, I think Naughty Dog is overrated. Especially since I've never really liked their games. They've always felt exceedingly mediocre. Not bad by any means, there's just nothing I feel is exceptional about them.

• Like 1

I'm noticing that only the people who say yes are leaving responses explaining their choice... the ones saying no don't seem to give any reason...

If you say no, then please leave a response explaining why you think Naughty Dog deserves to consistently be referred to as the greatest video game developer of all time.

Edited by Goro

I would agree with you, when you used the word "Overrated"

And I wouldn't had if Studios like 'Santa Monica & Sucker Punch' ever existed.  :D 

But don't get me wrong either, I had high praise and reviewer scores with both the "Single Player" experience of UC2&3.

How could I ever forget those jaw dropping cliff hanger experiences in UC2. (which I only get to play in 2012)

And TLOU (*midway through the game though, no trophies earned yet)

And as you've said, mine too, is just my personal take on it. ;) 

Cheers!

-Razgriz 

Yes, they are overrated but everyone has different opinions I guess.

I loved Uncharted 2, liked UC1 and UC3.

I like all of their games but out of the PS2 Sony trio, I liked their franchise least.

It's Sly>Ratchet>Jak

And in the previous gen it was inFAMOUS=Uncharted>Resistance for me.

TLOU is really overrated though.

I think Naughty Dog is overrated as well. I think they're pretty good developers in their own right, but I honestly can't see where the levels of praise they get come from. I love the Jak and Daxter series, but I can admit that they don't do anything extraordinary. They're just really fun to play for the most part. But it's not really Jak, or Crash for that matter, that they're known for nowadays, is it?

Uncharted...I really don't understand the fanaticism for that series. Uncharted 1 was...eh. It was really repetitive and got boring during long sessions. Uncharted 2 is a pretty big step above, but it's still not something I'd play for extended periods of time. I haven't played Uncharted 3, so I can't say anything about that, but a lot of people tell me it's not as good as 2, so I don't expect much different. From my experience, the presentation for Uncharted is fantastic, but the gameplay is pretty average. The climbing sequences really lose their flair after the first few times, too. It looks cool at first, but after a while you start to realize that the majority of them might as well be automated. Maybe that's why Uncharted gets so much praise. It has plenty of cinematic setpieces and doesn't require much thought to play, giving off a good sense of instant gratification. That's my take, anyways.

Can't give any input on The Last of Us since I haven't played it. Like I said, I think they're a good studio, above average at least, but best ever? I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree. I really would like to see them try something fantastical again. Even if by some chance they did Jak 4, it would be something different from all the gritty realism they've been doing lately. I gotta say, I was a little disappointed when I found out that they weren't making a new series for PS4, at least not yet. The "one series per console" trend they had going was pretty good in my opinion. Hell, who am I kidding? We've got to wait until Unkarted comes out to fulfill the random racing game quota.

Edited by godzillaboy100

No they're not overrated? They've made amazing games from crash up to the last of us. I get that uncharted may not be that appealing to you, i'm in the same boat. But if you purely look at the quality of the game, you can see that they're praised as a developer for a reason.

I'm really curious what developer deservers the most praise when there are so many that saying that naughty dog is overrated. 

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

The games they are putting out are stellar, well made games there's no denying that. Being "overrated" is entirely opinionated as, with most things, people like different things. So if you don't really like the games sure, when seeing all the great reception regarding them you'll end up thinking they are "overrated" when you aren't exactly in a position to but a label a very successful studio.

Point to any successful series/studio and you'll have half the people praising them, and the other half bashing them/not understanding their success. You can't really argue an opinion. Do I think they're overrated? You don't get successful or best selling games without doing something right. So while the majority here may not think the studio is the greatest, there are millions out there that does. Same as you liking another developer as much as others like Naughty Dog.

• Like 1

No they're not overrated? They've made amazing games from crash up to the last of us. I get that uncharted may not be that appealing to you, i'm in the same boat. But if you purely look at the quality of the game, you can see that they're praised as a developer for a reason.

I'm really curious what developer deservers the most praise when there are so many that saying that naughty dog is overrated. 

I have looked purely at the quality of the game and i still can't see why it is so highly regarded.

Even though i do disagree, thank you for giving a response to back up your choice!

Yes they are, they're not bad at developing games I just don't think they're they best thing ever like most people make them out to be. I've always felt that their games have been more about style (Graphics, Hollywood cliches) than substance (Solid mechanics, Good AI, Diifficulty) and once you're able to look past the pretty graphics you'll realize that their games hardly offer anything deep or innovative in terms of gameplay.

• Like 3

Yes they are, they're not bad at developing games I just don't think they're they best thing ever like most people make them out to be. I've always felt that their games have been more about style (Graphics, Hollywood cliches) than substance (Solid mechanics, Good AI, Diifficulty) and once you're able to look past the pretty graphics you'll realize that their games hardly offer anything deep or innovative in terms of gameplay.

uhh just wondering, have you completed a game made by ND? The accuracy of those statement sound pretty off.

• Like 4

You don't get successful or best selling games without doing something right.

Actually, if you look at the modern day music charts, you'll see that the artists with the best selling albums/songs are all awful and can't sing for shit yet they still have the best selling music.

I think the same type of people who make these artists popular would also have a strong influence on what video games get popular.

Look at FIFA and Call of Duty, the 2 best selling games in Europe. What are they doing right?

Edited by Goro

Actually, if you look at the modern day music charts, you'll see that the artists with the best selling albums/songs are all awful and can't sing for shit yet they still have the best selling music.

I think the same type of people who make these artists popular would also have a strong influence on what video games get popular.

Also, look at FIFA and Call of Duty, the 2 best selling games in Europe. What are they doing right?

People like what they like, what is shit to you can be the greatest thing since sliced bread to someone else. It's preference. Call of Duty made a fun game, people bought said game, made another game they found fun, they bought that game... and so on, and so on. Same for fifa, which could also be attributed to people in the Uk and their love of football, well probably not everyone but you get the drift. Whether you like something or not is irrelevant to anyone who doesn't feel the same as you. Everyone under the sun has an opinion... 

• Like 3

People like what they like, what is shit to you can be the greatest thing since sliced bread to someone else. It's preference. Call of Duty made a fun game, people bought said game, made another game they found fun, they bought that game... and so on, and so on. Same for fifa, which could also be attributed to people in the Uk and their love of football, well probably not everyone but you get the drift. Whether you like something or not is irrelevant to anyone who doesn't feel the same as you. Everyone under the sun has an opinion... 

Well, as you said, i guess it's all just opinions. Nobody can really be right or wrong in this discussion, that's just the way the cookie crumbles...

Naughty Dogs's games are good, but they aren't the best I have played. That said, I don't see many people going over the top about Naughty Dog having "the greatest games ever." That said, I'm also not much of a player of their games. I've only played a bit of the Jak games, gone through The Last of Us, and only started a bit of the first Uncharted. I do see many people talk about the flaws that these games have and I do see them. So while I did vote for "No," I'm going to take the secret option in the middle.

• Like 1