Is Naughty Dog Overrated?

Goro

Is Naughty Dog Overrated?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Is Naughty Dog Overrated?

• Yes
    • No

No. Naughty Dog has created Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. Find me another studio that's record looks like that. The reason people like Naughty Dog and Uncharted so much is because their games are really, really good. Uncharted is a fun game with great characters, story, and gameplay. As for The Last of Us, the story alone is incredible. I don't see why you're trying to prove some point of yours that Naughty Dog is overrated just because people who think it is are the ones commenting. If you really wanted to prove something you could go over to Meteoritic. Maybe they aren't commenting because a title like "Is Naughty Dog Overrated?" is a perfect example of clickbait. Of course it isn't. Naughty Dog is Sony's best studio. Perhaps you could explain why you don't get Uncharted instead of saying how ridiculous it is that only the people who say yes are commenting? 

Step in Kojima Productions. Koji pro > Everyone else lol

I don't see the hype with MGS, i prefer splintercell for my stealth games. MGS is like "Lost" of the video game industry, the story is way too complicated and if you even want a chance to follow it you need to start with the beginning. So for newcomers like me, who haven't played the PSone classics and various psp spin offs, the chances of getting into MGS's story is near 0. 

Altough i really want to play Zone of the enders HD, heard lots of good things about it.

• Like 1

I think Naughty Dog is overrated as well. I think they're pretty good developers in their own right, but I honestly can't see where the levels of praise they get come from. I love the Jak and Daxter series, but I can admit that they don't do anything extraordinary. They're just really fun to play for the most part. But it's not really Jak, or Crash for that matter, that they're known for nowadays, is it?

Uncharted...I really don't understand the fanaticism for that series. Uncharted 1 was...eh. It was really repetitive and got boring during long sessions. Uncharted 2 is a pretty big step above, but it's still not something I'd play for extended periods of time. I haven't played Uncharted 3, so I can't say anything about that, but a lot of people tell me it's not as good as 2, so I don't expect much different. From my experience, the presentation for Uncharted is fantastic, but the gameplay is pretty average. The climbing sequences really lose their flair after the first few times, too. It looks cool at first, but after a while you start to realize that the majority of them might as well be automated. Maybe that's why Uncharted gets so much praise. It has plenty of cinematic setpieces and doesn't require much thought to play, giving off a good sense of instant gratification. That's my take, anyways.

Can't give any input on The Last of Us since I haven't played it. Like I said, I think they're a good studio, above average at least, but best ever? I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree. I really would like to see them try something fantastical again. Even if by some chance they did Jak 4, it would be something different from all the gritty realism they've been doing lately. I gotta say, I was a little disappointed when I found out that they weren't making a new series for PS4, at least not yet. The "one series per console" trend they had going was pretty good in my opinion. Hell, who am I kidding? We've got to wait until Unkarted comes out to fulfill the random racing game quota.

You make a good point but remember that Naughty Dog has two development teams. One that is working on U4. And the other one was doing DLC for TLOU. We can only assume that TLOU team is plotting their next big project. It could be TLOU2 or it could be a completely new IP.

On topic, I don't think they are overrated. I have thoroughly enjoyed every single game that has come from Naughty Dog. I understand some people have different tastes, but I really have enjoyed every game they've made since the days of Crash. Their games might be simple in ideas, but the depth of the worlds and lore that they craft is completely immersive to me and they've only gotten better at doing that as the years move on. I understand others will feel differently but I don't and i'm sticking to it.

• Like 3

Well no, i don't think they are overrated..but then again i just don't really understand what overrated is all about. More or less i enjoyed every single game that i ever played since my SEGA Mega Drive days.

As i see it, it's just a matter of preference, for example i love TLOU and i like Uncharted. Do i think Uncharted is a masterpiece? No, but they are well crafted, gorgeous and really fun to play games & i can understand those who think it is the best game series ever.

Quick question, do you think Naughty Dog is an overrated studio? They're often referred to as the greatest video game developer of all time although i personally disagree with this.

They do make some great games, BUT i've played many better games from studios that don't get a percentage of the praise that Naughty Dog do. I've never understood the hype about Uncharted, i simply don't see what's so great about that particular series but that's just me.

Anyways, keep in mind that this is just my opinion and the purpose of this thread is to hear yours, so please give your opinions on this, thanks!

First thing, Naughty dog is probably an underrated studio, I doubt anyone who is not into play station even knows about it, the only thing they would know about is Santa Monica and will expect big things from it because of the God of War franchise, upcoming Order etc. mostly because of their popularity.

Second thing, I don't know from where you heard about them being the greatest game developers of all time. Nobody expect Super Mario's developer's deserve that title, who, single-handedly saved the gaming industry when it was almost going to die, I don't know what could be bigger than that. Naughty Dog isn't bad but they aren't the greatest developers of all time. Almost every developer makes such games that, to an extent, bring about a change in all of gaming. Nintendo came about and brought platforming to the table with Mario, Naughty Dog, using Crash Bandicoot, further popularized it. Every developer gives something to the gaming industry so it's unfair to call any one of them the greatest.

The "hype" about Uncharted is strictly among its fans not every gamer. When I hear about another COD or AC I'm like, " :facepalm:  Here we go again". But when I hear about another God of War, I become part of the "hype" because I'm a fan. Hype doesn't always mean it's attracting new gamers, more often than not, it's just calling out to the old fans who enjoyed the earlier ones.

Now, onto the positives of Naughty Dog, I don't understand how you can't like them :blink:

It's first game, Crash Bandicoot, was so big that Crash was chosen to be the f!@#ing mascot of PlayStation at the time to rival Nintendo's mario (I wanna see that showdown)

crash.jpg

One of their next ventures brought to life my favourite gaming duo, Jak & Daxter (gotta love that ottsel)

886824-jak3_03.jpg

After that came Uncharted, giving us one of the coolest looking characters, Nathan Drake

drake1.jpeg

Their recent release was, by many (who I am not a part of since I haven't played the game yet :P ), considered to be one hell of a emotional experience which hit the right marks AKA The Last Of Us

-34fdcf9d-d9d5-4c79-b956-c597be1e28e7.jp

So Naughty Dog might not be THE greatest developer out there but it definitely is ONE of them :D

• Like 1

I answered "no" because I don't think they are overrated. They have created some great games, and some which are not so great, but I have never heard them referred to as the "greatest of all time". If that epitaph was given to them in seriousness then it would probably be exaggeration.

Rockstar North are better IMO.

• Like 1

If the word is that they're the 'best developer', then yes I'd have to say that is over rating them. I'm not sure there is a best developer, as that all falls under opinion anyway. They are a great developer, but they're not alone in that category. They're clearly a story > game play (not that their game play is bad) sort of developer of recent times, and that is what some people prefer.

While I have't played anything pre-Uncharted, I do have a unique fondness for the Uncharted series. The first one was the game I got with my PS3 and I absolutely fell in love. Having not been an avid gamer prior, I'm not quite sure I've been captured by a game quite so much since then. Obviously the experience has coloured my opinion on the game and probably the series, but that's where the opinions spoken of above come from -  experience. I understand that there's nothing unique or ultimately amazing about the Uncharted or even The Last of Us concepts, but they have executed the games well which is what counts in my opinion.

Edited by LukaLaurent

I said no because when comes to games I never really like the term "overrated", it implys that you care too much about what others think of a game when really you should just care about the conclusions you made from that game, if you enjoyed it or not, and if you did you have higher chances that you are going enjoy whatever else comes out from that franchise or studio. At the end of the day all these arguments are subjective based.

First thing, Naughty dog is probably an underrated studio, I doubt anyone who is not into play station even knows about it.

That doesn't make it underrated, it doesn't matter how many people play it, it's about what those people who do play it think about it.

Second thing, I don't know from where you heard about them being the greatest game developers of all time.

N4G.com Go the the comments on anything ND related and all you will see is praise with never-ending comments such as "Naughty Gods" and "Anything Naughty Dog touches turn to gold" and so on...

I guarantee if i made a poll on N4G titled "Is Naughty Dog the greatest game developer of all time", at least 90% of people would vote yes as they're a bunch of mindless Sony fanboys who would think ND is the worst developer in the world if they were bought by Microsoft.

Keep in mind N4G is a big site with many different gamers and would stand for a large amount of gaming related opinions so i think this is a credible source.

Also, here's a poll i done last year which shows that most gamers believe Naughty Dog is the greatest game developer of all time, they have over double the votes of Rockstar Games - https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/7955-the-best-video-game-developerpublisher/

Edited by Goro

I would say that they are the Rareware (Nintendo/Nintendo and Microsoft period) of action-adventure games, which is a big feat to pull in this day and age. The only thing that is putting them down is the compression sizes of their games. From a technical point of view, they are experts in lighting, AA, maintaining a decent frame-rate and have such a graphical boom. Story-wise, I would say they are off key to some extent, all uncharted are predictable, tlou story was so basic but told so well and Jak was pretty decent until 2 and 3 came along. 

Character wise, I love all of them even the baddies so Naughty Dog are top in that. Now this is the problem with them, compression of their games. While they look so good they are not compress to a decent size, if Xenoblade C was done on the Wii  and that was a big ass game then Uncharted shouldn't have any problems compressing. 

Do I think they are overrated? I do but I want them to see here as long as they make above A grade level games. 

My opinion is that people overthink this shit too much. Constructively, what difference does where a game or studio fall on some subjective list make? Do you enjoy the games? Great, have fun. If not, why are you playing them?

If life was like this, we wouldn't have fanboy wars or preferences but I get what you mean. 

Edited by Bear
  • Like 1

That doesn't make it underrated, it doesn't matter how many people play it, it's about what those people who do play it think about it.

There are all types of people in the world. Some who love a particular franchise but can admit the fact that there are better games than that, others who just won't stop yappin' about it

Hopefully I am the first type :D

N4G.com Go the the comments on anything ND related and all you will see is praise with never-ending comments such as "Naughty Gods" and "Anything Naughty Dog touches turn to gold" and so on...

I guarantee if i made a poll on N4G titled "Is Naughty Dog the greatest game developer of all time", at least 90% of people would vote yes as they're a bunch of mindless Sony fanboys who would think ND is the worst developer in the world if they were bought by Microsoft.

Keep in mind N4G is a big site with many different gamers and would stand for a large amount of gaming related opinions so i think this is a credible source.

If you started this topic based on some comments on a particular site you are just stupid. Now, I don't mean to be rude or anything but we all know that people say all sorts of nonsense in comments. For example: A XBOX fanboy went on to the PS4's GTA V Metacritic page and wrote something like this

"Why does the PS4 version even exist, it's got terrible graphics. Buy the much, much, much superior XBOX one version"

If we were to judge every comment made on any site we would just be giving them unnecessary limelight. If some critic or someone would have made a comment like that it makes sense to argue but an average user, yet again, unnecessary limelight.

There are all types of people in the world. Some who love a particular franchise but can admit the fact that there are better games than that, others who just won't stop yappin' about it

Hopefully I am the first type :D

If you started this topic based on some comments on a particular site you are just stupid. Now, I don't mean to be rude or anything but we all know that people say all sorts of nonsense in comments. For example: A XBOX fanboy went on to the PS4's GTA V Metacritic page and wrote something like this

"Why does the PS4 version even exist, it's got terrible graphics. Buy the much, much, much superior XBOX one version"

If we were to judge every comment made on any site we would just be giving them unnecessary limelight. If some critic or someone would have made a comment like that it makes sense to argue but an average user, yet again, unnecessary limelight.

It's not idiotic, I'm not talking about 1 or 2 troll comments or "average users" here, this is the opinion of about 95% of a site with millions of members. Also, do you have some explanation for the poll results too?

You're taking this too serious, i said they are consistently referred to as the greatest game developer of all time by many gamers because evidently, they are.

I'm not "yappin' about it", i just stated my own personal opinion and wanted to hear the opinions of other members in a friendly discussion, whether they agree or not.

I probably wouldn't say the greatest video game developer of all time, but they certainly have been creating very high quality entertainment for over two decades without a single bad game, which is more than can be said about most developers. So in that sense they're rated just right.

No, they aren't overrated imo. Sure Jak 2 and 3 weren't as good as the first, but Crash was something anyone enjoyed playing. The Uncharted series mixes in comedy, adventure, action, and just a little of everything. They also don't have overly-sexualized or bland female characters(not saying all female characters are like this, just most companies don't know how to make one.) Ellie, Chloe, and Elena are not damsels in distress or reveal cleavage the whole game lol. TLoU had its faults, but the multiplayer was decent, the story was long and entertaining, and it has Troy Baker dude :P

Overrated games include most CoD, FIFA, NBA games, NFS(recently), and God of War, imo.

I notice a lot of people think that the COD, FIFA and NBA are overrated games but I think they are just perfect. I know what I'm getting from them and I can't say the same for other developers. I just really want Naughty Dog to become pre-rare and delve into all genres because I think they could make a good rpg.