Post your trophy hunting stories. What type of hunter are you? Do we hunters have an addiction problem? Let's discuss my friends.

PleaseNoGizmo

I'm the "I'll get around to it later" trophy hunter.. later never comes and neither do the trophies. 

what-you-laughing-at-kanye-west-28342821

Basically this, although I do eventually go back. It just takes quite a long time unless I really enjoy a game (Burnout took me 5 years)

im one of those people who likes to at least complete the story of a game and then try for more trophies, which for most of them I never get around to. and I never play the same campaign twice. I hate seeing games on my profile with a low percentage so I try to only play games that I think I can get at least 70% on but I still play those free ps plus games that for 80% of them I get less than 30%. ive been good lately with my percentages, averaging around 75% in my last 8 games but that's only brought my overall game percentage upfrom 39% to 42. nowadays, I don't have a hoarde of games that I buy at the same time them rush through them like I used to. I take my time with them. but a certain free ps4 game without trophies is taking up my time because I enjoy it so much.

essentially, if I really like a game, I don't care about the trophies that much and play for the enjoyment. e.g. The last of us, uncharted. then theres games which I enjoy but have trophies which i feel wouldn't be that hard to get a platinum. e.g. farcry 3, shadow of mordor. games which i find tedious but complete the campaign to anyway e.g. driveclub, dishonoured. but if theres a game i know i wont like, no matter how easy the trophies are i wont play it.

as for a particular game, the sims 3 is by far the most lengthy platinum at around 120 hours over 2 years. i guess i done it in 3 instalments with the first 2 being enjoyable and the last being a week of pure grind. i do think that soon the most lengthy platinum spot will be skyrim as ive spent around 150 hours over 2.5 years. with my first instalment in summer 2012, 2nd in winter 2013 and 3rd last month. i think i'll attend to my last 4 trophies this summer when i feel the urge to play it again

I play games primarily just for that.. playing games. However, when I'm finished with the main campaign, I'll either go for trophies, or put it to the back of the queue and attempt trophies later. I'll attempt platinums where possible, but won't go over-kill to the point where I'll stop enjoying the game. For example, I loved Max Payne 3, but hold little hope of getting the platinum. Trophies, to me, are an excellent way to get more out of my games. I enjoy the feeling of hearing the platinum pop, but have come to terms with the fact, there will be games I won't platinum (Metal Gear Rising), Basically, Game first, Trophies a great second, If I can get a platinum an excellent third.

My_Name_Is_Age.png

• Like 2

I love collecting trophies, and after finishing the story, I will try and collect any trophies I have yet to collect......one by one. My problem is trying for those damn Multiplayer trophies. I should have had my first Platinum like two years ago for Red Dead Redemption, but I still need two trophies for online. One is for becoming first place in an online match 3 times in a row. I have done alright in some online matches, but came first maybe once. Its so hard to claim that trophy when you are playing with expert sharpshooters, so I really doubt I will ever claim that Platinum.

I recently was going after some trophies for GTA V and was having a hard time with one. You have to buy the dock, and get in a sub and collect all the toxic waste at the bottom of the ocean. That GPS gadget (Tractify) is so incredibly difficult to understand how it works and I get so frustrated. That one has been giving me the hardest time lately.

I started off collecting trophies when PS3 first came out, but sadly after not playing for a while I forgot all about my PSN [it was around trophy level 16 I believe]

Then about a year ago I made this PSN, and currently I have 35 platinums, but I'm starting to get really annoyed by only having 70% completion.

Now a few weeks ago I started a new PSN once again and currently have 5 Platinums all 100% complete but ... im here wondering wether i should just stay on my old account or go on with this new one >.<

Basically start playing a game because I'm interested, and clean up as many trophies as I can in one play through. I like fully exploring games and doing all the side missions and stuff so trophies often come with those anyways.  If I like the game enough I'll go back and clean up the rest. I'll usually play something else before doing the additional playthroughs. Trophies do help me get through "slow" parts of the game, but if I don't like the game I'll just stop, which is why I have some low completion games like Darksiders or X-Com on my list. Although I have limited disposable income being a student so I carefully pick my games and I don't have many that I didn't really, really want  :lol:

I am a casual hunter. Started with hunting achievements on xbox with friends. But those days are over as I move on to ps3. I'm not trying to be perfect and plat and 100 percent every game. I only try to plat the game if i love it or enjoy it. Rpg>all

Games always meant a lot to me since i was a kid. I don't know, it's sort of difficult to explain. I love gaming with all my heart.

I'm a somewhat hardcore trophy hunter, the kind that played his fair share of shitty games. The reasons though for it, are varied.

I used to trophy hunt as a sort of escapism, a coping mechanism to withstand the frustrations and harshness of the real world. Also, i've always been a pretty skilled all around gamer, and trophies, i don't wanna say they're 'proof', they're more of an extension of your skills, into something that can be grasped. Basically, it makes it possible for people to see how MLG xX420Xx get on my lvl you are.

I don't think i have a problem. I do it because i love to. I can deal with real world problems and tasks as they come.

not sure if i got my point across, i'm slightly drunk

• Like 4

Mx5476 I only play games on my ps3 that have trophies. If they don't have trophy support I refuse point blank 2 play them and yes I do have a few games that have no trophy system (oblivio and darkness) unfortunately not all my games have 100% completion and I only have 3 platinums so my aim in 2015 is to get platinum trophies in all my games. I recently got a gold trophy on black ops 2 the giant accomplishment where I completed all 160 challenges during campaign. That took me a few months nxt i'm goona get the last 4 trophies on mgs4 but the 1 that eludes me is on mgs4 where you have to watch all flashbacks. Been trying for 2 yrs now and this yr I will get it.

I like collecting trophies and will look at guides and go out of my way to get them. However, I don't obsess with having games on my account that are incomplete or unobtainable. I don't like having games on my account that have 0% so I even if I hate the game or having played it in a really long time, I will earn one or two easy trophies in it just to get it up to like 4/5% and then I'll be happy. Usually this actually leads me to changing how I see the game and might go on to actually like it. The thing I most care about with my trophies is the grades. I love get that trophy that turns a C into a B or a B into an A and seeing the pie chart change. I also try to beat my previous month's total trophies and keep my rank green but they are only extras

I love reading the detailed answers, too. <3

I get around to trophies when I get around to them. I'm unable to stay on a game for too long or I feel burned out and need to switch things up. I'm also a slow player, able to find hours of enjoyment doing the simplest of things. Such as Saints Row The Third, I've spent an accumulated time of probably a hour just walking around to hear her heels click and listen to the NPCs. If her heels do not click, my time is ruined. Despite how I'm trying my best to experience all the games I've missed on consoles from my 15 year addition to handhelds, I don't find enjoyment from getting through something as fast as possible.

Trophies normally unlock from my usual play-style. If there's something specific, I'll attempt to get it. I have no interest in playing online, so I won't even attempt to get those. Annoys me for some games I enjoyed. I love Red Dead Redemption and the plat image. 

You only have an addition problem when you only buy games based off trophies even if the game interests you. If you want it, get it and fuck the trophies. Games were made to be fun and an escape. If all you care about is trophies, you aren't playing games the way they were meant to be. You need to balance both.

• Like 1

For me, I look at my platinum list as a showroom to my favorite games for the PS3. With that being said, I only platinum games that I find really easy or truly enjoyed enough to go the extra mile to platinum it.

For example, platinums like Okami HD, Sly Cooper 1 & 2, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, etc. are all really easy platinums that don't take much time at all to complete. In this case, it just so happened that I also really enjoyed the game too.

Other games like Call of Duty Black Ops, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni, The Last of Us, etc. are not super-easy like the ones stated above, but take an extra step to complete. In this case, I enjoyed the game so much that I wanted to showroom it as one of my favorite games by having it on my platinum list. For games that I truly and thoroughly enjoyed, I'm not afraid to go the extra mile to complete it.

Then you have games like Quantum of Solace, Tekken 6, ICO, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 where I initially didn't plan to obtain the platinum but playing through it just so happened to leave just a few trophies left that were very obtainable and wouldn't take a whole lot of time (so I thought). It's not to say I didn't enjoy these games like the others, it just wasn't as much. Sometimes when the circumstances dangles a platinum trophy from a string right in front of your face, you can't help but to reach out and grab it for the taking.

With this being said, there are also several games that I wasn't afraid to stop before obtaining the platinum. For instance, Dragon's Dogma. I really enjoyed the game. However, I wasn't compelled enough to go the extra mile and play the game a third time for collecting the final few trophies. The same goes with Infamous 2 and Assassin's Creed 2. I really enjoyed both games (no seriously, I did!) but once again, I couldn't pull myself to play through Infamous one more time on the hardest difficulty or go through the pain of collecting a bunch of feathers either in AC2. I'm not butt-hurt about it, and honestly, I don't care if I ever obtain the platinums for these games. I'm not willing to obtain platinums just for the sake of inflating my platinum count. It's the exact same reason why I refuse to play kiddie games for platinums. It's not worth it if I can't personally find enjoyment in it. If that's your cup of tea, that fine. I'm not bashing you for doing it. I'm just going to sip on my own cup somewhere else.

I am not a completionist and I'd hardly call my self a trophy hunter. I'd be more inclined to be called something like the "Trophy Collector" where I only collect the platinums that I'm proud to have in my collection

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

I see trophies only as a way to prolong the amount of time I spend on a game I'm already obsessed with - otherwise I don't really pay much attention to them. I've always tried to approach games with a "completionist" mindset: that's something that hasn't changed since the days of the PS1. But trophies have changed the definition of what it truly means to finish a game or be a completionist, especially when multiplayer/online play is brought into it. I still see it as important to aim to achieve as much possible with a game, but if I'm not enjoying the process of achieving the goal then I won't force myself to go the extra mile. If I feel I'm finished with a game once I've beaten the main story then I'm content to just stop there. 

Edited by Vrisnem

I spent many gruelling hours on this trophy. Walking through the wilderness for what seemed like eternity, I had given up hope multiple times, but had small sparks of it come back and kindle the smallest of flames. So many threads I ventured to, but to no avail. Seed after seed, world after world, it refused to pop. I deleted the game and reinstalled it, only to spend more hours with nothing to show for it. I was about to give up. I would never get it. 97% for all eternity. But I gave it one last shot. One last chance. The do it or die moment. 

And it worked. It finally worked.

Adventuring Time for Minecraft: Vita Edition, and with it, the platinum.

• Like 1

I'm a total trophy whore. I won't even play games that I think I can't plat. I feel that I have to get 100% on any game I play and I always push myself to play the highest difficulty regardless if you need a trophy for it or not. The only things I regret are the first 2 games I booted on my newly bought PS4 for which I didn't check the trophy guides for or didn't test if I even liked. 

For example on Thief I played the entire game on master allowing myself to never be seen, not knocking/killing anyone. And then I realize I could've started a custom mode to get the something to prove trophy. Now I have to play the entire game again. Urgh...

Don't starve bores me to hell. Damn I need to fix that.. sometime. 

I don't know why but when I play a game and I don't take the highest difficulty, ie hardore now on Dust an Elysian Tail instead of tough that the trophy requires, I keep thinking to myself "what a scrub you are mate, no challenge no game". Total freaking OCD right:DD

Edited by Piknim

Fun first, platinum second.  That's kind of my mantra so to speak.  While I am a platinum fiend and I do love to platinum games if a game is ridiculously hard/requires great luck to platinum (Max Payne 3, I'm lookin' at you), is boring or is for whatever reason just not fun then I'm not bothering.  I think I've done pretty well so far.  I have 71 games total on my profile.  64 of those have a platinum and out of those I've so far managed to platinum 42 of those (soon to be 43.)  I've kept my goals simple.  In my first year or so of gaming/trophy hunting, I wanted to achieve a majority platinum profile.  By the end of my second year, I had achieved that and now there's no looking back.  I do not need or want to platinum every game on my profile.  That would not be fun.  I am NOT an OCD 100% completionist.  God bless those people of which I'm friends with a couple of people like that.  I don't know how they do it.  Platinums are work.  Enjoyable work, but work nonetheless.  100% completionism, to me, is a chore.  I am also NOT a trophy whore.  I have no need to try to set some sort of records with earning platinums or trophy hunting that I'll force myself to play a ton of games that aren't fun and don't interest me just for some notoriously quick, notoriously easy trophies/platinums.  I won't tarnish my profile with games like Mega Mind, Hannah Montana, Terminator: Salvation, etc., etc.  I "trophy whored" once with The Walking Dead, enjoyed neither the game nor earning the platinum and won't do it again.  My goal and, therefore, the type of gamer I am is to enjoy the moment.  I don't rush through games to get the platinum as quick as I can.  I love to be immersed, to connect with the characters, to have a moving, transporting experience.  I want to enjoy the games I choose to play, take my time with them and, hopefully, I'll enjoy them enough to continue playing them and put in the work for the platinum.  So far, most of the time, that has happened. :)

I spent many gruelling hours on this trophy. Walking through the wilderness for what seemed like eternity, I had given up hope multiple times, but had small sparks of it come back and kindle the smallest of flames. So many threads I ventured to, but to no avail. Seed after seed, world after world, it refused to pop. I deleted the game and reinstalled it, only to spend more hours with nothing to show for it. I was about to give up. I would never get it. 97% for all eternity. But I gave it one last shot. One last chance. The do it or die moment. 

And it worked. It finally worked.

Adventuring Time for Minecraft: Vita Edition, and with it, the platinum.

Bro.  Same thing happened to me.  And a lot of people.  It is a glitch trophy.  I completely, thoroughly searched about 3 or 4 tutorial seeds, went to the nether several times, went to the ender world several times, deleted my save, started over, etc., etc.  Finally, after about 2 to 3 days of working on it, I walked into the enderworld one more time and it popped.  That was driving me crazy!!  I look at things like that as time is on your side.  Sooner or later, it'll pop and it did. 

I love collecting trophies, and after finishing the story, I will try and collect any trophies I have yet to collect......one by one. My problem is trying for those damn Multiplayer trophies. I should have had my first Platinum like two years ago for Red Dead Redemption, but I still need two trophies for online. One is for becoming first place in an online match 3 times in a row. I have done alright in some online matches, but came first maybe once. Its so hard to claim that trophy when you are playing with expert sharpshooters, so I really doubt I will ever claim that Platinum.

I recently was going after some trophies for GTA V and was having a hard time with one. You have to buy the dock, and get in a sub and collect all the toxic waste at the bottom of the ocean. That GPS gadget (Tractify) is so incredibly difficult to understand how it works and I get so frustrated. That one has been giving me the hardest time lately.

Regarding RDR, all you have to do is boost it.  That's what virtually everyone has done with that game.  I 100%ed RDR's trophies some years back and I can tell you I boosted a lot of them.  Not all of them, but a lot of them.  I have friends who 100%ed RDR and they did the same thing as well.  That's all RDR mp is - and was meant to be - a boost fest.  Just create a boosting session for the game here on this site and I'm sure you'll find other people who also need the trophies who will be willing to work with you.  Good luck.

EDIT: And, please spare me, before anyone reads what I just said regarding RDR mp being a boost fest and that's all it was meant to be and feels the need to troll me about it for whatever reason....Why do you think R* makes stupid ass trophies like "Be the top scoring player THREE TIMES IN A ROW" ( not once, not three times, but three times in a row) or the dlc Kingpin trophy, "Kill 8 unique players during your time on top in land grab"?  It's cuz they created a whole online mp and they have servers they're paying for which I'm sure they want to see used soo that's how they make sure the online stays active and is used.  Otherwise, there'd be a LOT less people on there.  Just sayin'.

Edited by Spider-Man916
  • Like 2